Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal

Jan 25, 2021, 1:16 PM

Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal

Breaking: Interesting transfer news for the 2021 Clemson defense. Clemson linebacker Mike Jones Jr. has entered the transfer porter as a grad transfer, TigerNet has confi Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal

Jan 25, 2021, 1:18 PM

Interesting. Trenton Simpson your time is now.

Jan 25, 2021, 4:46 PM

Grad Transfer! Big difference, go somewhere else to get more playing time.
Maybe it works like Russell Wilson, or maybe it doesn’t like Tavien Feaster.
Good luck Mr. Jones, as a Clemson Alumni, I wish him the best.
The pros are a long shot, but everyone has dreams they want to Chase (Brice).
Go Tigers, Beat Georgia!

Jan 25, 2021, 9:01 PM

Good luck to him but the grass isn’t always greener. You can add a ton of names to the list that transferred and didn’t work out. I honestly can’t name one that transferred to a FBS program and succeeded.
Look at Powell waiting his time and the success he had this year. I think if he had transferred he’d have gone undrafted. I fully believe he’ll at least go in the 5th round.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

Y’all do know that Mike started at SAM this season right, so what is this about going somewhere else for more playing time. Some of our fans have got to be as dumb as a bag of rocks.

You do realize that as the season went along

Jan 26, 2021, 9:59 AM

Jones Jr. played less and less snaps due to the emergence of Trenton Simpson and Malcolm Greene (who played more of a nickel / hybrid role). Jones would definitely be splitting time this season, and he may have even lost the starting job to Trenton Simpson at some point.

Don't get me wrong, Jones Jr. definitely would have had a role (he's probably our best LB in coverage), but Simpson is bigger, faster, and a lot more explosive as a pass rusher.

Jan 28, 2021, 2:10 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

Yeah, he started but he was splitting time or worse especially in the latter part of the season. But that's not something I would expect an oblivious dumb$h¡+ casual to be aware of-

Jan 26, 2021, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

I think Trent Simpson is the reason he is moving on. His playing would probably have shrunk significantly.

No worries. Simpson is getting better and better.***

Jan 25, 2021, 1:20 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Was anyone worried?***

Jan 25, 2021, 2:17 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Jan 25, 2021, 1:21 PM

Very strange. I was looking for Jones to have a monster season. Trenton Simpson and Barrett Carter is up.

Jan 25, 2021, 8:05 PM

I, too, thought Mike Jones was going to be special, but we have lots of very special talent. I wish him well, but I think we replace him with someone very special, and we, too, move on. I do not see us losing a step with his departure. Next man up, and the good news is, our next guy's up are very special, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

W............T...........Actual..............F?

Jan 25, 2021, 1:22 PM

Why?....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 1:24 PM

G*d ######!! This portal sh*t is stupid!! Especially when you’re program constantly pumps players into it with out taking any out.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 25, 2021, 1:40 PM

What gets me, our coaches spend a ton of time making them better, and their thank you is, I'm going to play somewhere else. To me, that is showing no appreciation what so ever!!!!

As been said many times, the transfer portal will finish ruining the best sports in the world, as in college sports!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 8:08 PM

I think you are onto something I've been thinking for a while. The ease of transfer lets guys move out, but not necessarily move up to better performance, nor better opportunities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 11:52 PM

I don't mind those kids having a way to go somewhere else if that is what they choose bc they shouldn't have to stay at a school when they feel that they can do better at another. But they did sign a commitment contract where they're at, and by letting them just walk away without some price to pay sends the wrong message at their age. there should be a season, or even a half season penalty for walking through the portal door. Do that, or, make the school that they are transferring to, have to pay no less than half of what the school they are walking out on has invested in them. That would be only fair bc, an agreement was make when them and their parents signed the (LOI) Letter of Intent!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2021, 10:15 AM

Well, it's just too easy for them to walk away from their commitment. On the other hand, there are plenty of schools now who do not renew scholarships. When I came along the offer was for 4 years. Now, its year to year, I believe. I think Dabo runs our program the right way, honoring his/our commitments, as long as the athlete honors theirs, but Dabo is a very special kind of coach. Not many Dabo's out there.

exactly..its not popular opinion over here

Jan 25, 2021, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

but i really wish dabo would adapt to the times on this..portal is now a part of recruitment..think of it as a free agency period

Re: exactly..its not popular opinion over here

Jan 25, 2021, 2:46 PM

Did some of y'all just completely miss last week? I mean Dabo literally took Pearman off the field and one of his duties is transfer portal scouting. There is a reason Clemson doesn't take transfers, one because it is hard to get them approved through the academic side. It has nothing to do with football but the transferring of credits and the hassle it entails. Dabo has said Clemson will adopt and I'm sure that is why Pearman's duties are transfer portal scouting. Dabo doesn't do anything to do it, if he has someone scouting the portal it's because he wants that option if it were to arise and I agree that there are some high quality players out there. But let's be real, how many transfers from Clemson has went anywhere and made a difference? I love Mike Jones and there is no doubt what type of young man he is but Trenton Simpson is just at a different level. I wish he would have stayed and been a team player because Jones would have without a doubt played and played a lot.

Jan 25, 2021, 2:48 PM

adapt not adopt though he may adopt I don't know but not in this case.

Good one!

Jan 25, 2021, 6:57 PM

However, your lack of punctuation is cause for some revisions. You’re welcome.

Jan 25, 2021, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: exactly..its not popular opinion over here ]

Pearman is getting paid a coach $$$$$ for an administrative assistant role. Whew. Talk about landing on your feet and making tons of money.

Jan 25, 2021, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: exactly..its not popular opinion over here ]

Pearman is getting paid a coach $$$$$ for an administrative assistant role. Whew. Talk about landing on your feet and making tons of money.

Jan 25, 2021, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: exactly..its not popular opinion over here ]

Great post, IMO! No snub on Mike Jones, but guys don't get to play the lead rolls for a reason (maybe several reasons), and it usually is because they aren't as good as the guy getting the nod. There are exceptions, maybe at other schools, but at Clemson it's just the best guys play, or at least start. So far, that's worked pretty good for us. Do you think Saban doesn't play the best guys? No! Me either. This is a "Big Boy" game now, and Clemson is in the equation. Less than the best is not going to cut it. I wish the best for Mike Jones, but something was lacking. Hopefully, we fill that lack with the perfect guy, but if we don't, we keep looking. It keeps guys hungry, and it eliminates guys thinking they can't get there by being the best. By the way, I wish Mike Jones the very best. I hope he finds what he is looking for, but I also hope we find "The Guy" we were looking for to take that position.

Jan 25, 2021, 10:35 PM

Great post, IMO! No snub on Mike Jones, but guys don't get to play the lead rolls for a reason (maybe several reasons), and it usually is because they aren't as good as the guy getting the nod. There are exceptions, maybe at other schools, but at Clemson it's just the best guys play, or at least start. So far, that's worked pretty good for us. Do you think Saban doesn't play the best guys? No! Me either. This is a "Big Boy" game now, and Clemson is in the equation. Less than the best is not going to cut it. I wish the best for Mike Jones, but something was lacking. Hopefully, we fill that lack with the perfect guy, but if we don't, we keep looking. It keeps guys hungry, and it eliminates guys thinking they can't get there by being the best. By the way, I wish Mike Jones the very best. I hope he finds what he is looking for, but I also hope we find "The Guy" we were looking for to take that position.

Clemson doesn't play it's best players.... Jake and Tyler play ahead of more talented players............

Jan 26, 2021, 1:26 PM

More talent does not mean better player. Work ethic, Heart, ETC.... have more to do with that! Randy Moss was more talented than Jerry Rice, but Rice is the Greatest WR of all time because of his Work Ethic and Heart!

Jan 25, 2021, 7:27 PM [ in reply to exactly..its not popular opinion over here ]

Someone posted couple weeks ago. A transfer is not ideal, particularly if they are undergraduate. There is a reason they leave. A graduate transfer ? Maybe that is different. Coach Swinney understands the locker room and recruits so well, we don’t need to go this route.

Jan 25, 2021, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

Transfer student-athletes have been around FOREVER. The portal was created to ease administrative burden and give students more opportunities.
It’s not threatening sports. It is an administrative tool.

Jan 25, 2021, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

This is an odd one. My guess is that Simpson may have threatened his PT, but I can’t imagine it is a better business decision to play his last two years somewhere else. This isn’t like Feaster, he’s clearly a starter and going to get a lot of run.

As much as the turnover does stink for the sport, we do need to start accepting high caliber transfers. I don’t think the recruiting lift we get by saying we don’t take them is worth the competitive disadvantage anymore.

Obviously we would be selective on who we let in, but this window isn’t going to be open forever, if we can add an elite player like Gilbert, the OT that just went to OU, or even Crouch (not sure what his baggage is, but we were fine for him as a recruit), then we really need to take advantage of those opportunities. Like it or not, this is how the sport has evolved to. Transfers have always been around, but not with this frequency. If it is going to be a free-agency period every year, then we are going to have to keep up with the Jones (bad pun intended).

Portal didn't enable this one. Guys have been using the grad

Jan 25, 2021, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

transfer rule for a long time. He could've done this a decade ago.

Re: Portal didn't enable this one. Guys have been using the grad

Jan 26, 2021, 12:00 AM

Mike is not guaranteed to be a starter at Clemson. With one year left, he's going somewhere to get as much playing time as he can to increase his chances with the NFL.

Dabo is adapting to the transfer portal. Times change as must we all.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Strange decision. I’m looking forward to reading more about this but

Jan 25, 2021, 1:24 PM

in the meantime, best of luck to Mr Jones.

null

Jan 25, 2021, 1:25 PM

I have to say this seems odd and rather suprising to me. Like others I think MJ6 was going to be a major contributor this season. This is one issue I have with this whole transfer portal thing; you cant tell me that other schools are not tampering with these kids. Prime example is Bowman. Now I'm not implying that is the case with Jones, but if we think schools are not basically recruiting these kids on the DL, that would be naive. I wonder if he shows up in Tally or Gainsville.

apparently a players recruitment is not over, even after

Jan 25, 2021, 2:09 PM

he signs his LOI.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought he was gonna be a big time player this year too

Jan 25, 2021, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

Oh well, Roar Tigers

Who?***

Jan 25, 2021, 1:25 PM

Re: Who?***

Jan 25, 2021, 5:54 PM

Call 289-334-8004

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 6:58 PM

jobuaustin said:

Call 289-334-8004

281-300-8004** that’s my cell phone number hit me up on the low..

Jan 25, 2021, 7:00 PM

281-330-8004**

Jan 25, 2021, 1:34 PM

Let's use that scholarship to go portal shopping.

Jan 25, 2021, 1:37 PM

So shocked by this. Wasn’t Jones so big on Clemson that he was recruiting others to follow him here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 3:03 PM

Yes, that's one of the things that I loved about him. Pretty sure he helped us get xt. I'm sorry to see Mike go and hope this is the best decision for him.

Jan 25, 2021, 1:43 PM

Hate to see him go. Like others I was expecting him to have a big year next year really surprised he is leaving. Good luck to you Mike! I appreciate all you did.

Still showing Clemson love on twitter....who knows?

Jan 25, 2021, 2:26 PM

But, I wish him the best.

Quote from twitter:

Much love Clemson family has been the absolute best, I wouldn’t trade these last 3 years for the world.

Re: Still showing Clemson love on twitter....who knows?

Jan 25, 2021, 3:33 PM

But he is giving up on the rest of what he wouldn't trade for nothing in the world, like it actually meant nothing. If those were his words, well then, they are empty meaningless words!!! When you've had something that you wouldn't trade for the world, that should mean only one thing, you would give anything for more of the same, and he is giving up on more of it!!!!

Not going to judge since I am not in his shoes.

Jan 25, 2021, 3:43 PM

I am disappointed, but who knows his reasons.

He does have something that he wouldn't trade for the

Jan 25, 2021, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Still showing Clemson love on twitter....who knows? ]

world, a Clemson degree... football isn't the be all, end all for everybody. If he recognizes that his opportunities are going to be limited due to the roster and in the NFL, and he is willing to step aside so that the future can be now for Clemson, is that really throwing away three years of his life? You're only looking at it from a football fanatics view. He's graduated, he may only want to play two more years and be done with the game, but he is choosing to do it elsewhere... he honored his commitment; be a model student, be a model athlete, complete your degree. Does he owe Clemson the last two years of his eligibility? Does Trevor owe Clemson the last two years of his eligibility? No, neither of them do and we shouldn't treat them as if they do... if you are happy for Trevor, you owe it to Mike to be happy for him as well...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 1:57 PM

This is obviously not about football. The guy is a starter for one of the best programs in the country and a favorite to win the national championship.

And by all accounts he is very popular on the team and with the media. And it appears he loves Clemson.

So this has to be for personal reasons, but man it’s totally out of left field and doesn’t make any sense!

I know a lot of people will disagree with this and say it’s not our business why he is leaving the program, but I call BS! His scholarship is paid for by fans and alumni. Everything he has at Clemson is thanks to fans and alumni. He is a public figure and everything he has comes from the fans, alumni, IPTAY, students, the university, etc. so when these kids transfer they absolutely positively owe us an explanation.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Jan 25, 2021, 2:39 PM

Guess we have to go back and rewrite all those wonderful articles about Clemson returning it's entire defense.

He came in with XT and they were big buds down at img. I have to agree with other posts though, this portal crap will begin to erode college football. It's only the next step. Up next is name likeness or whatever crap that is about getting paid. Next step is a farm system. It's ruined college baseball and it's ruining college basketball. Its just a job.

Want a degree? Cool, just print one out in your spare time by going all virtual. Will this be one of the legacies 2020 leaves us? Dunno. Maybe. Perhaps you're right and it's personal. I kinda hope so. Anyone care to do the math on how much we have invested in each kid?

Not many kids are ready to step on the pro field out of high school, or even working on their own until age 21. Let them pay for that valuable training and they'll quickly realize college ain't such a bad deal.

Agreed. Be glad we won our modern Natties when we did.

Jan 25, 2021, 3:38 PM

Because college football will soon not look anything like what we have been used to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

Here is the Butt kicker, only 2% of Division lA college senior FB players are drafted into the NFL, and more than we think about don't make it past two season before they are let go. For whatever the reason, college FB players never consider those numbers when they leave early for the NFL. If college coaches loved those kids the way they preach it, they would try harder to find the words that would make those kids give themselves their best chance by staying and playing college FB for as long as they can regardless of the financial conditions at home bc, their chances are greater to fail by leaving early, and they have no degree with family conditions continuing to get even worst by the year!!!

Jan 25, 2021, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

Everything he has is due to Clemson and the fans? WHAT? He didn’t do any work at all we did it all for him? Must have missed all those 5am work outs I didn’t do.

Jan 25, 2021, 8:39 PM

Oh my. Another person that doesn’t have the ability to read and comprehend.

Yes. He has worked hard. But where does the money come from for his scholarship? Where does the money come from for those state of the art athletic facilities? Where does the money for the entire football program come from? Is he not a public figure? Do these kids not post on social media to make their lives public?

Everything he has at Clemson was paid for by someone else. Everything he has been given at Clemson was paid for by someone else. Those people are called fans and alumni. Season-ticket holder‘s. IPTAY donors.

Jan 25, 2021, 10:36 PM

Yes, but he full filled his obligation. He graduated. It’s his business what he does from here. I wish him the absolute best. He owes us nothing.

Jan 25, 2021, 1:58 PM

On the surface this decision appears to make no sense. MMJ was poised to be a HUGE part of probably the best defense in the nation next season. If he has any interest in playing on Sundays there is absolutely no where he could go to put himself in a better position to boost his stock or begin promoting his personal brand. That being said, these decisions sometimes are based on behind-the-scenes factors. Family illness or issue, maybe sees the writing on the wall due to a better younger player, personality conflicts with multiple teammates. Whatever the reason, I sure to wish MMJ all the best!

Exactly Right!

Mar 27, 2024, 6:34 PM

You would have to be naive to think these kids aren't being promised something!

In Jones's case.

1. It's not about playing time.
2. Been at Clemson 3 years so doubtful it's home-sickness!
3. No way was he treated poorly! It isn't and has never and I dare say: "will never be Dabo's style" to treat a kid poorly.

So! Why the exodus of kids who were expected to contribute? Awful strange and doesn't pass the smell test at all!

Re: Exactly Right!

Jan 25, 2021, 7:35 PM

Are we suggesting $$ under a table? Shock.

If....

Jan 25, 2021, 2:25 PM

every player leaves, who will be left to play? Clemson can not afford to have players and coaches leave, you talk about Carolina, Clemson will be a program that will need to work their way back to the number 1 or 2 spot. We can not afford any more transfers! I hope the team will win most of their games. We need a solid team.

Why do we care about UNC

Jan 25, 2021, 2:41 PM

You should drop football fanship, and just stick with wimmins bb. Oh, my bad, you already have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If....

Jan 25, 2021, 7:16 PM [ in reply to If.... ]

Lol, we need a solid team? Smooooth troll coot...

Jan 25, 2021, 2:29 PM

Absolutely stunned...

Jan 25, 2021, 2:30 PM

was not expecting us to get hit w/ this one. Now may be a case he eventually withdraws his name & comes back but wondering if he feels he was gonna get surpassed or if something else made him decide to try & move on.

Best of luck young man

I am going to be curious to see if he pulls the trigger on a

Jan 25, 2021, 6:37 PM

new location quickly. This one makes me wonder if he was hearing from a destination recruiting him.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish him nothing but the best. As an aside,

Jan 25, 2021, 2:31 PM

the transfer portal is really bad for the sport.

Jan 25, 2021, 2:32 PM

Look in the LB room and see all that talent and there is only so many snaps in a game. It comes down to do I want to play every down or do I want to get 20 to 25 plays a game, put up decent numbers and save my body. Some will lean one way others not. I think Mike feels he needs to be on the field every play possible to prove he can play at the next level. He has the skill and heart, but is somewhat on the smaller side for an NFL LB.

PS: Trenton Simpson will start this season regardless of who is on the roster, he is that good!

Jan 25, 2021, 6:33 PM

Well i don't know all of them that close, but hope you're right. Back in my earlier years when I could afford, and I was able to be at most home games, I allowed myself to get to know our players as well as a game attending fan could know our players. And the ones that communicated with the fans a lot before, during, and after games, we come to know them pretty well, and it was always really hard to see them go when their time was up at Clemson. I hate that I'm much older, and not as able as I once was, but it is much easier to see them go, and now I'm even more excited about seeing these new guys come in bc, most of what we get now, we don't have to wait long to see them on the field bc they come to Clemson good enough to play now. and I'm really enjoy watching those guys from home in my Lazy Boy bc they're not around that long anymore bc, they are playing in the NFL... Go Tigers, I still love you all, and I can do that without becoming attached the way we get by being at the games in Clemson during the entire season!!!!! Father time is the man, and he change, and calm us all down in our later years....

Jan 25, 2021, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

He’s a starter. Even if he wasn’t he gets a lot of snaps. You have a better chance to make it to the NFL as a significant contributor on a top team than going somewhere else especially when there’s no guarantee you will start at that other team. Plus, you don’t get better playing games. You get better in practice. He will practice against better competition with better coaches at Clemson.

No. I don’t think this is about playing time. I think this is about something else. Because this one really doesn’t make sense.

Jan 25, 2021, 2:36 PM

Anybody think that Skalski's decision to return impacted Mike's decision to transfer?

Jan 25, 2021, 2:57 PM

No different Linebacker position. Skalski plays MLB. Jones plays SLB. If anything Trenton Simpson's emergence is the cause of this. Jones still would have played quite a bit though.

Jan 25, 2021, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson linebacker enters transfer portal ]

95TigerMan said:

Anybody think that Skalski's decision to return impacted Mike's decision to transfer?

No. Because they both were starters in two different LB positions. Unless you are thinking Jones wanted to be the MLB?

Jan 25, 2021, 3:50 PM

Good luck Mike, he will help tremendously with social issues at a university where it’s needed. I think he wanted a more traditional middle linebacker role.

I’m guessing, I’m thankful he chose Clemson & wish him the best.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jan 25, 2021, 3:06 PM

All the best!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 6:18 PM

I maybe making an assumption, but maybe he is going for his Masters and Clemson doesnt have the program he is interested in. Maybe, it is another reason, but only he and the staff knows. Anyways, Good Luck Jones!

Not saying this has anything to do with his

Jan 25, 2021, 6:18 PM

decision but sure makes me wonder how a 3* is starting ahead of a 4*.

Re: Not saying this has anything to do with his

Jan 25, 2021, 7:08 PM

Anyone who follows recruiting knows the number of stars next to ur name are BS. Look over the years how many 3* emerge to be elite prospects going to the pros over 5* top rated recruits in the same class.

Re: Not saying this has anything to do with his

Jan 25, 2021, 8:47 PM

I think Lavon Kirkland was like a one star coming out of high school. He’s the best linebacker to ever play at Clemson!

I'm fine with graduate transfers

Jan 25, 2021, 8:03 PM

Very surprised to hear this. Best of luck to Mike Jones Jr. wherever he goes.

Next year, Simpson returns and Barrett Carter comes on board. We will have some elite athleticism and speed on the outside.

Honestly, I don't think we will miss Jones on the field. This is one of those situations where it's all good for everyone.

Jan 25, 2021, 8:26 PM

When the biggest news about an individual player after 3 years is he is transferring, it could be a lot worse.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:16 PM

I like Simpson's intensity, but he does not have the speed of Mike Jones. I feel like he doesn't have enough speed to stay with running backs either. I saw in the Notre Dame game, Ian Book running away from Simpson.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:35 PM

Agree with most have said - I seriously doubt it will help him get to the NFL if that is what he wants. Playing a lead role under BV on a championship contender vs on some 6-6 team - you make the call and ask a number of others who left for supposedly greener pastures as mentioned in here. It's the instant gratification world we live in - I hate to see us get really active in getting players this way and I don't think we will find too many true upgrades out there. It is the reason we have not been in the Juco or transfer market so far - but you have to watch and explore the market as Dabo has just set the stage for.
Still wish him good luck and good success - always a Tiger.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:51 PM

Head scratcher. You are a starter with a team that is one of the favorites to win the NC. And you transfer? So this comes down to a few reasons why.

1. The writing was on the wall for one of the younger guys to take over and he did not want to compete and lose his job?

2. The coaches explained that he needed to transfer. I do not see this as a likely scenario at all.

3. There is tampering / recruiting going on and MJ got a lucrative offer.

4. Did not want to split time. This may be a very likely scenario. Because he would have split time whether he was a starter or not.

5. Could be a major issue as MJ seems like a smart guy that may be looking beyond a pro career. He may go somewhere to get the grad degree he wants and to see if he can get a shot at the league.

6. Personal family issues. New girlfriend?

We will be able to decipher this one soon enough, but I really hated to see this.

Props to Jones for his degree and time on the field ...

Jan 26, 2021, 1:32 PM

He has earned my respect, and I’ll be pulling for him at his next destination. And I give him credit for having the sense to know what is in his own best interests. Now carry on Tigers!

Jan 28, 2021, 12:36 AM

Okay everyone is like we need to start getting recruits from the transfer portal and I for one 100% DISAGREE!!!!! #1 They have proved that they are not loyal to a program just by entering the transfer portal, #2 What was the reason they are transferring? Are they a team player or out for themselves? To me if they are in the portal that means they are 100% in it for themselves and not a team player and we do not need cancer like that in our locker room.

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic