Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TLaw critique
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,734

TLaw critique

Oct 22, 2018, 11:59 AM

I'm no coach, but I'm just curious of other fans see what I see.

Numerous occasions Saturday, TL16 stared down his receiver from the moment the ball was snapped. He locked in on one receiver, watched them run their whole route, and then delivered a dart.

By no means am I complaining about our performance, as Saturday was one heck of a domination and our Offense looks better and better each week.

I just can't help but wonder if the stare-down continues, is that something a team in the playoffs could exploit? They would have to have the talent/speed/hands at DB to be able to pull it off and jump the route. Which is why, I don't think it will be a problem (if at all) until at least the ACCCG and beyond.

Just curious if others see the same thing or if I'm maybe missing something.

Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you are throwing bullets like he is

Oct 22, 2018, 12:03 PM

you have the luxury of locking in sometimes. His throws on the out routes can't be defended. Period. If he has a couple seconds in the pocket he will pick teams apart.

The only thing I have seen so far that he could improve on is his deep ball accuracy. He's missed a few of those.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When you are throwing bullets like he is

Oct 22, 2018, 12:12 PM

Agreed. Too tough to jump a route with those bullets. I can be done but then you are begging for a double move and an uncontested TD. It almost happened to us.

Re: TLaw critique

Oct 22, 2018, 12:04 PM

My only thing is that I wish he would throw the ball away instead of taking sacks, but I'm sure that he'll learn. After all, he's a freshman quarterback, and a d@mn good one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Oct 22, 2018, 12:26 PM

yeah occasionally just dump it and get them next down. I think he tries to make something out of every snap which is certainly admirable

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see that

Oct 22, 2018, 12:04 PM

I don't see him staring down the primary receiver, in fact quite the opposite. He internal clock needs some development as to how long he can hold the ball in the pocket but that will get better with experience. I have very little nitpicking with #16.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 12:09 PM

Usually as a result a couple of things. Presnap reads, play design and timing. There is really no need to look off an extra help defender on a lot of these throws. If we had an offense or QB that needed to fake an extra defender off the primary route every play we would be in trouble. If the aforementioned three things are going as planned certain routes cannot be defended from a perfect throw by one defender in man coverage without the defender guessing the route that will be run.

Oct 22, 2018, 12:15 PM

Have noticed it some. However, it could be something he sees pre snap on a specific route that will be open based on the coverage. Could also be he is watching the defenses reaction to a route. Example was on the TD pass to Higgins. Both receivers were on deeper routes, all he was doing was looking to witch way the safety broke. If you watch it from the back angle it looks like it was cover 1 coverage. If the safety would have gone with Higgins then Renfrow would have been open on the left side of the field.

Again, he has the advantage of knowing the routes and then reading the defense so he has an idea of what routes will have the best chance of being open. Just my humble thoughts. Go Tigers!

I think he did that on all those sideline passes but he knew

Oct 22, 2018, 12:16 PM

he had single coverage based on pre-snap reads so there's no reason to look off a safety. In a lot of those plays, he checked off to it (Dabo mentioned this in post-game) because there was single coverage on outside and then it just becomes pitch and catch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s still learning, but raw talent is off the charts!***

Oct 22, 2018, 12:19 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 12:24 PM

He is definitely a little slow with the route progressions, and sometimes just a little late on his throws...but his arm strength/ball velocity has mostly made up for it. But all of this is due to his being a freshman. He will continue to improve and his timing and grasp of the offense are already better than a few games ago.

This is a team and a QB that will peak at the right time, imho.

I'll take it

Oct 22, 2018, 12:30 PM

Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I noticed it more early on in the game. It didn't seem as bad later on.

I 100% agree that the with the type velocity he puts on the ball, it almost doesn't matter if he stares someone down.

And the posts about him being aware of the defense's coverage and knowing his routes, etc. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone!

There's no need to look off defenders in man coverage

Oct 22, 2018, 3:47 PM

with no safety help, but I do agree our system often causes the QB to stare down receivers. I noticed pretty much every QB we have since Boyd did that.

Re: If QB's throwing into man coverage, you don't need to

Oct 22, 2018, 3:49 PM

look off coverage. If it was zone coverage, then yes, he should.

Nancy Tate was playing man all day and they got burned. I doubt they will make that mistake next year.

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,734
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic