Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tiger recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Tiger recruiting

Jul 25, 2018, 10:28 AM

So no I am not freaking out about this year's recruiting class. Just tired of hearing about uga...so I'm ready to talk about our guys. Who are Clemsons main targets and how does everyone like our chances with each of them?? Are we in on any good Dline and Oline recruits?? How are our chances with booth, hill, and bush?? Chances with phillips and jaydon hill?? What about What about Ngata and Bentley?? Any insight I would appreciate..been trying to follow as close as possible, just been extremely busy lately. But, i am more excited about this upcoming season than quite a few in the past!! GO TIGERS!! TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

too many questions to address***

Jul 25, 2018, 10:29 AM

Re: Tiger recruiting

Jul 25, 2018, 10:41 AM

Ngata and Bentley are on commit watch this weekend. Phillips is a silent and is committing on Aug 10th I think, which is his birthday. Not really in it at this point with Bush, primary corner targets are Booth and then Shyheim Battle. We'll see with Booth, I'm sure Phillips is working him and when he came to visit a few weeks ago I know Charleston came up to help too. If he waits till the season starts to make a decision it's probably a good sign for us. Auburn's going to have one of their down years after a good year (in which they still lost 4 games), but Auburn's doing very Auburny things this cycle. Jaydon Hill sounds like somebody that we aren't really going after unless we miss on Booth.

DL recruiting we're definitely in it on some guys. O-31-0 seems to lead for Tyler Davis, but it sounds like we're close and we'll see if we can get some officials for others.

OL recruiting is not good. We don't really lead for anybody and the board is shrinking as guys are committing elsewhere. Jakai Moore and Darnell Wright have both bailed on cookout already. Moore as some AAU thing (probably not a good sign about his interest level), and Wright is going to Bama's event instead, which could give them 4 top 50 OL recruits if they get him and Webb. Still some guys out there but a successful OL class, especially for tackles which is what we really need is probably going to depend on flipping guys. Still a chance to get an official from Wright so we've got a chance though.

Jul 25, 2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks alot xeno, really informative! Hopefully we can somehow come up with some decent oline recruits.It all starts in the trenches, and I think if we can get consistent elite Oline play: the only team beating Clemson, is Clemson!! GO Tigers!!

Jul 25, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger recruiting ]

Ditto, really appreciate the good info. Thanks for taking the time to type it up and just keep up with all of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger recruiting ]

You knocked those questions out. I think Bently commits at the All IN cookout and I really hope Ngata commits during the event as well. Ngata has been one of my top recruits on the wish list, he’s a monster WR and it opens up recruiting ties to California which is going to be huge, def see some top west coast guys start coming to clemson. Also didn’t know Phillips was a silent commit ( I know we can’t know forsure). Really hope we land Booth he’s def a elite DB. Wish Wright didn’t cancel and decide to go to Bama event instead. We have missed on some of our top OL targets but I was hoping that would all change with Wright, he’s a really good ol recruit. Webb would be a huge get but it’s going to be very hard to get him, never count Dabo and staff out tho. Once the season starts I feel like we will start landing our top targets left on the board. Go Tigers!!!

Jul 25, 2018, 1:24 PM

I guess I can't totally confirm that Phillips is a silent to us but he shut down his recruitment basically right after we offered and is just waiting till his birthday to announce. Have heard where he was one that all we had to really do to win was offer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ngata committed and afterwards we learn he's been a silent for a while to be honest. After he visited a couple months ago he named Clemson his leader and I don't think has made any public visits since.

Worth mentioning that Ngata has a brother in the 2020 class who's a top 50-100 type prospect himself. A bit smaller than his brother and plays RB. Similar body composition to a guy like Ellington. Some sites have him listed as an athlete and I could see how he might project more as a receiver. Not sure how interested we are at this point since he's a bit like Dixon but worth keeping an eye on. Kid could very well be interested in doing his own thing somewhere else too. From what I've read about the family it sounds like the father is pretty much the anti-Lavar Ball.

Jul 25, 2018, 1:40 PM

Now that you mention it, after Ngata came and visited, then named us leader, i haven’t read anything else on him. I just think he would fit perfect into our offense and it would open up possible recruiting pipeline into California and the West coast. I also think we have a good shot land Spencer Lyttle from Cali, if so I really want his teammate ( think it’s DJ ..... very hard last name) the best QB and I think overall prospect in the 2020 class. You seem very knowledgeable when it comes to recruiting what is your thoughts on Faatui Tuitel, he’s really high on my wishlist and from what I read we are in it with him. Not the favorite but want to know what you think our chances are with him. I also haven’t heard much on Crouch lately, he’s another stud recruit that I hope clemson lands. Go Tigers!!

Jul 25, 2018, 1:45 PM

Tuitele is all Alabama. We thought we had a chance early, sorta faded, Belk leaves and we push hard. We ended up on his top 5, but I don't think we'll be able to close it out.

Philips

Jul 25, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger recruiting ]

Even before we offered it was reported that he told the staff if they offered he would come here without question. We offered. He hasn't done anything since and shut down his recruitment.

Jul 25, 2018, 1:34 PM

1. Our main targets are: Andrew Booth, Quavaris Crouch, Joe Ngata, and Lavonta Bentley. The latter two have a more than likely chance to commit on Friday, so that probably closes the WR class with Ladson, Ngata, and (the very underrated) Brannon Spector.

Bentley gets us closer at LB, but there are still lots of takes (Crouch, Nakobe Dean) and other targets (Spencer Lytle, but I think we lost this one).

Booth has been trending to Auburn for a couple months and the bad news is that he heads down there the next day after the All-In Cookout, good news is that we see him the day before and maybe we can nudge him more in the right direction, but he is for sure on the Auburn commit watch list for now. Chances will go down past this weekend IMO because I think he would prefer to commit there, but we'll see what happens--For what it's worth, I don't think a commitment to Auburn takes us out of the running completely.

Crouch is quiet and there isn't a lot being said right now. Tennessee seems to be trending up and up, but we are right there with them or maybe above them. He'll be a LB for us, but this will be one that we'll have to wait a little bit for.

On top of those guys we also have a number of players that we are pursuing right now: Hundson Henry (apparently oversign worthy), Darnell Wright, Will Putnam, Clay Webb, Nolan Smith, Tyler Davis, Faatui Tuitele, Jalyn Philips (silent commit), and a few more.

2. For DL, maybe. We've obviously been going for UGA commit Nolan Smith for a while and if he decommits we will probably get him, but nothing to hold your breath for.

Travon Walker was a DT we were going after, but we were never really in it, we are going after pretty much every single top DT right now (Sopsher, Tuitele, Davis) to fill that spot lost earlier this off-season. Tyler Davis is a 4* top 150 guy and he's the most likely according to some insiders and we've made some headroom. It may be a drawn out ordeal trying to get one of these guys, or we might not at all, but we are making some heavy pushes.

I don't really like talking that much about the OL recruiting because it gets me worked up a little but here we go: we have a few "top targets" right now (the list is smaller than it was a couple of months ago due to players committing), which is: Darnell Wright, Trevor Keegan, Will Putnam, Jakai Moore, and Clay Webb. Lets break that down.

Darnell Wright isn't coming. There's absolutely no reciprocated intrest. No visits, it's been Alabama/Ohio State/Tennessee the whole way. Not even sure why his name gets mentioned at all anymore because the ship didn't sail, it was never there.

Trevor Keegan is, from what I gather, our single best shot at getting a blue chip OL recruit this class. He's a Michigan lean right now, and our chances of actually getting him here aren't exactly good, but I believe he's shown the most interest back among all of these players, but sadly that isn't much.

Will Putnam is a head FSU lean and there's no sign of that changing. I'd like our chances a hell of a lot better if he was coming to the cookout, but currently I don't believe we have any OL recruits coming to the cookout.

Jakai Moore is skipping the cookout for an AAU tournament in Kentucky next mondy (the cookout is the Friday...), so that should tell you how interested he really is. If we had a puncher's chance he'd be coming here and heading up there the next day, but he obviously doesn't want to be here -- my guess is that he silently committed to SCar, but we'll see.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: Clay Webb is a 5* OL in the state of Alabama. What do we really expect? He plays in a state that is the home of the best recruiting team in college football, he plays a position that we don't ever recruit well at and don't send players to the NFL at, and there is nothing pointing to him wanting to come. I'm pretty sure he's a silent commit already because he said when he was up here for the camp that he didn't want to be recruited, he wanted to be coached. Makes sense that he would want to keep going to camps under the guise that he's still available as a recruit, but that's not really true.

NOT. GOOD. We'll see what happens, but #### this #### makes me disappointed.

3. Booth: We're in a pretty good spot. I explained above the possible dilemma we're in with Auburn, but we have a good chance.

Hill: I wouldn't even really think about TBH. Would be nice, but we offered late and he's never been here. He's probably staying in-state.

Bush: I guess we'll see, but there hasn't been too much there yet. I think Bush, Fields, and Battle will all be story lines to follow a little later on, but not so much right now.

4. Philips is a silent commit. We haven't even offered Jaydon Hill, but we might if Bush and/or Booth commit to other places.

5. Ngata has a strong chance to commit at the cookout. I would be surprised if Bentley doesn't commit at the cookout.

Jul 25, 2018, 1:41 PM

Thanks awesome info!

Thanks*****

Jul 25, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger recruiting ]

What happened with OT Luke Griffin?

Jul 25, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger recruiting ]

He was a Georgia decommitt that seemed to be trending to us. Camped at Clemson over the summer. Haven’t heard a thing since.

Luke Griffin

Jul 25, 2018, 2:19 PM

We haven't offered him. There isn't much interest either way that I know of. Maybe an offer is in store later down the line, but we'll see.

Re: Luke Griffin

Jul 25, 2018, 2:31 PM

I get the feeling they want to see if he can stay healthy before they offer.

Re: Luke Griffin

Jul 25, 2018, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Luke Griffin ]

Thanks for the info!

Jul 25, 2018, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Tiger recruiting ]

As everyone has said - Big Thanks. We just really need to do whatever magic Dabo can pull out to get Jakai Moore... and of all people we'll never hear the end of it in the media if he commits to the coots.

I understand the why on official visits in the fall and it has worked but it doesn't sound like they're going to be that many top 150's left for officials. Hard thing to rely on flips. And what I really don't understand is with the class we signed last year, and knowing PT isn't an issue for 19 that some of these guys aren't committing to us before someone else does. With the skill positions we have, I would think (especially OL) would be racing to sign with us because they're going to get a lot of interests and press.

Or is it our OLine development that really keeps them away as others on here have posted and suggested? Before you can say it, I know it's a hard position to eval and rating services aren't the best but still I'm basing it off the offer lists - not rivals.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no magic that Dabo can pull if a kid isn't intereste

Jul 25, 2018, 3:20 PM

and Jakai Moore isn't interested. I don't think him going to SC is even close to as big as Pickens or Belk though.

From an OL perspective, see this: We've had 3 OL drafted in the past 10 years (1 in supplemental draft), which is worst next to only Oklahoma State for the top 15 teams with the most wins in the past 10 seasons. Even as good as we are, from a recruit's perspective, Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Wisconsin, Stanford, USC, Penn State, etc., etc., etc. are all better at putting guys in the league. We'll get Hyatt drafted in the first few rounds, but historical status as a OL school isn't good and it reflects on the recruits we get and don't get.

It might be the development. Caldwell is a fine coach -- not one that I would call up to the standards of Scott, Elliot, Reed, Bates, Streeter, Venables, etc., but I'd put him in the same group as Pearman and (maybe) Micky Conn. He's not a great recruiter (a great recruiter could at least BS our way into a few top guys a class) and the results are the field are serviceable. I don't know enough about our scheme to judge whether how we play maybe doesn't lend itself to producing NFL ready players, but again, I'm not knowledgeable enough about it.

I think whichever way you cut it, we need to do better there. 2020 better be a hell of an OL class or it's probably bye-bye Caldwell. Might be that time anyways considering his age.

Re: There's no magic that Dabo can pull if a kid isn't intereste

Jul 25, 2018, 3:50 PM

Thanks again. People like you is what tnet started off being. Good debates and discussions.

And totally agree it isn't as big as Belk and Pickens but not another one is kinda all I was saying. I understand if there's no interest - nothing you can do about that. Please just not the coots though.

I'm sure you saw the thread discussion on oline and the scheme we run. It was a pretty good argument but I don't know if I buy into that. If you're good at your craft, doesn't matter what system you played under in college, you'll get drafted. may not be as high as someone ready made to start immediately. Is that a wrong assumption?

Jul 25, 2018, 3:59 PM [ in reply to There's no magic that Dabo can pull if a kid isn't intereste ]

The scheme isn't necessarily great for OL development from an NFL perspective but it's not that terrible. There are Big 12 lineman that get drafted highly who are on teams that run super spread with everything being zone blocking east/west instead of north/south. I wish we have a bit more of a power run blocking scheme, which is possible this year with more athletic guards. Some of it has to with RPOs and the lineman just not being able to block downfield.

Some of it has been measurables. Mac Clain and Guillermo were both pretty short with short arms for NFL offensive lineman. Crowder was a guy that going into last season was looked at as a mid-round pick but his weight got especially bad last season, which isn't something that you can really blame on the coaching staff. They have tons of resources but have to put in the effort.

This class hasn't been particularly good for us geographically either as far as recruit distribution. 2020 looks to be much better. Some NC State 24/7 writer put in a pick for Mitchell Mayes to NC State this week but I'll believe that when I see it. We're probably going to smoke them this year and then I'd expect Drinkowitz to leave and take a head job somewhere while his stock is high from Finley. They're going to lose a ton of their offense after 2018 and we'll probably smoke them again in 2019.

Jul 25, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to There's no magic that Dabo can pull if a kid isn't intereste ]

Elephant in the room.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic