Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts/Notes on Exhibition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Thoughts/Notes on Exhibition

Oct 31, 2019, 9:34 AM

- Tevin Mack is an all-around, do everything type of guy for us. He's comfortable handling the ball, and confident on the offensive end. Good length to bother some people on defense, but he'll have to rebound like a mad man for us to be successful.
- I think we're 100% committed to playing the small ball we played in Italy. Simms and Jemison were never on the floor at the same time, and I don't anticipate they will be (can't have them picking up fouls simultaneously). Our biggest lineup was when Jemison was the 5, and Moore and Tyson were in at the 4 and 3 spots.
- The man defense we played almost looks like a zone at times because it's the pack-line D on steroids. When the ball goes to either wing, our entire defense rotates super hard. All 5 guys are on one half/side of the court. We're inviting a hard and quick swing of the ball for a 3 point shot, but I think we're OK with that due to the longer 3 point line and wanting to close up driving lanes. It's interesting to watch, and I would encourage anyone who watches on Tuesday night against VT to look for this when we're on defense. We even double-teamed in corners a lot, I think due to the fact that guys are used to standing in the corner on offense and having space behind the 3 point line. Now there's virtually none, and Brownell has us set up to take advantage of that.
- Tyson is our best shooter by a mile or more, and not just because he went 3-3. All of his shots looked great, and he is confident shooting it. Doesn't looked bothered or like he has had to adjust to the longer 3 point line at all.
- Dawes and Hunter will make plenty of mistakes, but it won't be from being timid. Both are good athletes with explosiveness too, which has helped on the defensive end. Hunter came on as our 2nd PG, meaning it would be really nice to have Nick Honor eligible.
- Newman had an awful night, but he'll be fine.
- Hemenway has a good-looking shot, even though none of them went in. May be our 2nd best shooter, but I don't know how much he'll play. He didn't look over-matched athletically, but he still has a ways to go to be able to handle the defensive end.
- We are going to have to be EXTREMELY patient with Khavon Moore. He still looks one or more steps slow, and I think is even still adjusting to playing the game again. He looks thin and like regaining his explosiveness will be an ongoing thing for a while. He won't hit many shots from the perimeter this year, but if he can defend multiple positions due to his length, he'll play.
- Curran Scott looked extremely steady, and may be due for more of those backup minutes at PG. He drove guys to the basket and finished strong literally all night long. He didn't look like much of a knockdown shooter, despite shooting at really high clips the last 3 years. I suspect/hope he'll make some 3's, and that I just misread his shooting a bit.
- Both Trapp and Baehre were walking around and you'd think they were 100% healthy if you didn't know any better. Hopefully we get both back sooner rather than later, because both at their respective positions, would be major helps. Especially rebounding.
- PJ Hall was in attendance on the front row.
- Overall I was very impressed with this team defensively and how far along we seemed with those concepts, especially that extreme rotating stuff that I mentioned above. You can thank Italy and that extra practice time for that, 100%. There's no way that all of these freshman and newcomers are moving as a unit like that if we hadn't played and practiced that much over the summer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts/Notes on Exhibition

Oct 31, 2019, 9:46 AM

great info. How do you think we will do this year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notes on Exhibition- SoHonor may still get a waiver

Oct 31, 2019, 9:53 AM

When might the NCAA get around to ruling on this?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the insight!***

Oct 31, 2019, 10:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 10:51 AM

Backup PG is my biggest concern unless Honor is ruled eligible or Trapp returns.

I'm wondering what the starting 5 will look like Tuesday. I think our best 5 is Dawes, Newman, Mack, Tyson and Simms. That could work well. Scott and Hunter off the bench in the backcourt, Moore and Jemison in the frontcourt. Baehre and Trapp waiting in the wings.

We have several guys who can play multiple positions in Simms, Newman, Mack and Tyson, insuring they can stay on the floor when we rotate in off the bench. We can be positionless in philosophy to take advantage of matchups.

It should be an interesting year, with a chance to surprise. PG play is going to be the key

Nov 1, 2019, 8:25 AM

I agree that Tyson provides shooting and rebounding value. Curious to see if he, or Hunter, get more minutes. Going with a 3 guard lineup, or more of a 2 guard, two SF lineup.

With the uncertainty surrounding Honor, I think

Dawes
Newman
Mack
Simms

...are lock starts. And like you said, that last spot goes to either Chase Hunter, and we play with more guards and ball handling. Or it goes to Tyson, and we add shooting, rebounding, and size at the expense of speed, ball handling, and defensive versatility.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:52 AM

Yeah , thanks for the insight. I also read that our defense looked sufficating and ahead of what Brad normally wants because of all the work in the summer. Not just games but practice. If our offense didn't get to such a slow start in the game we probably would have won by 40 or 50 pts in the game. I think we missed a lot of threes is nerves from young guys in their first game in LJ I heard we hit a lot of 3s in the secret scrimmagevs Georgia Southern. . Va Tech has couple of good young guards but a lot of new faces with a new coaching staff. We should win that game comfortably but you never know what will happen in a first game, a conference game to boot.

Nov 1, 2019, 8:28 AM

Agreed on the defense. It just looks like it’s way ahead from where it “should” be, based on how many newcomers we have. Those summer trips work wonders. For team cohesion, which can be as important to defending as any concept is.

I still would encourage, like I said above, for people to really watch our defense on Tuesday night. Obviously we’ll be playing a completely different level of opponent. But it’s interesting to watch and see what we’re doing, and our personnel, along with the new rules, is something we’re really trying to take advantage of. It’s a chess match.

awesome breakdown for those that didn’t see it

Oct 31, 2019, 12:10 PM

Thanks for sharing

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 12:36 PM

Did Paul Grinde play any? I don't know much about him, but if he can provide 10-12 minutes of serviceable time per game down low, especially in foul heavy ACC play, that would be a great boost for the team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2019, 2:07 PM

Did Paul Grinde play any? I don't know much about him, but if he can provide 10-12 minutes of serviceable time per game down low, especially in foul heavy ACC play, that would be a great boost for the team.

He played during garbage time and scored a jumper late. He might be serviceable against big teams wgen in some foul trouble until Barehe comes back in December.

Oct 31, 2019, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts/Notes on Exhibition ]

Nothing more than a walk-on. I wouldn’t expect him to play a single significant minute all year.

Oct 31, 2019, 6:08 PM

Thank you for the info!

thanks man!***

Oct 31, 2019, 6:46 PM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic