Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Notre Dame over Clemson if they both go undefeated"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

"Notre Dame over Clemson if they both go undefeated"

Oct 3, 2018, 1:59 PM

getting into the playoffs according to Fox's Joel Klatt and Colin Cowherd.

They suggested that ND's toughest games were behind them. I notice they play Syracuse November 17th, the week before they travel to Southern Cal. That may be a game we all become big Syracuse fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely not worried about those two spewing propaganda!

Oct 3, 2018, 2:03 PM

They rarely get anything right! We just need to win, everything else will take care of itself. A lot of football still to be played yet! Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They won't be the only ones making that argument, should

Oct 3, 2018, 2:05 PM

things turn out that way. Members of the Playoff Committee will too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The CFP Committee chairman have consistently said they

Oct 3, 2018, 6:40 PM

value conference championships. An undefeated conference champion will go over an undefeated team not in a conference.

The good news, is that ND will lose at least one game, probably two. Their defense is not very good, Wake and Vandy both put up 400 yards of offense against ND.

Syracuse will light them up. The game is in Yankee Stadium.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The CFP Committee chairman have consistently said they

Oct 3, 2018, 6:47 PM

Just like how they valued OSU's c9nference champ ionship last year and PSU's the year before that

Re: "Notre Dame over Clemson if they both go undefeated"

Oct 3, 2018, 2:11 PM

Not To Mention if it comes down to both of us being undefeated and vying for one spot. Our conference championship will be the tiebreaker.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what SHOULD happen! Tired of Notre Dame getting to

Oct 3, 2018, 2:50 PM

... have their cake and eating it too.

Join the ACC for football or get out.

No conference title, no playoff spot.

If they were to go undefeated and lose a playoff spot due to not having to play for a conference title, it would finally force their hand.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2018, 2:12 PM

Remember when Cowherd called us frauds going into the O31-0 state game? Who cares what he thinks.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:12 PM

If the Cuse , NCST , BC and even FSU keeps winning games.
The U is a 1 loss team when we play them in the ACCCG, all this BS about weak schedule will shut up.
I believe at least 3 of these teams will finish the season ranked.
That would give us 3 good wins if we go undefeated,
There will not be more than 4 teams that can top that.
Bottom line just win

Oct 3, 2018, 2:27 PM

Bc lost to Purdue. It doesn’t matter what they do. Fsu at least only has acc losses

I would love to see that matchup.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:13 PM

‘Please don’t throw me into the briar patch’ - Brer Rabbit

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2018, 2:15 PM

The conference championship means advantage Clemson.

Conference Championship wont mean much if the Coastal rep sux

Oct 3, 2018, 2:43 PM

Conference Championship can be a deciding factor if the committee wants it to be. But not a requirement.

If we beat a three loss team then .....meh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Conference Championship wont mean much if the Coastal rep sux

Oct 3, 2018, 2:55 PM

No, it is a requirement.

Playoff committee protocol:
https://collegefootballplayoff.com/documents/2017/10/20//CFP_Selection_Committee_Protocol.pdf?id=23

"When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:
• Championships won
• Strength of schedule
• Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
• Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

We believe that a committee of experts properly instructed (based on beliefs that the regular season is unique and must be preserved; and that championships won on the field and strength of schedule are important values that must be incorporated into the selection process) has very strong support throughout the college football community"

Oct 3, 2018, 3:12 PM

It will be considered. But there is no weighting. There is no "tie goes to a champion".

A checkbox by 'Conference Championship' on your resume is nice but not a key differentiator if your conference opponent is average or the winning team's performance is ok. It mattered for tOSU getting in for season 1 because they kicked the crap out of Wisconsin and oh yes there were politics at play.

Go to 8 playoff teams then the conference champs can get their auto bids.

Oct 4, 2018, 12:43 PM

The powers to be want conference champs. The Catholics thumb their nose at conferences because of their big NBC contract. Join or penalize them. They can't have it both ways

Maybe but that scenario is so ridiculously unlikely

Oct 3, 2018, 2:16 PM

Two unbeaten teams fighting for the #5 spot? Come on.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:17 PM

B Kelly don't want none .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

ND into the playoffs over Clemson is the meaning.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:18 PM

I didn't make that perfectly clear.

Neither does Kelly B.***

Oct 3, 2018, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: "Notre Dame over Clemson if they both go undefeated" ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Joel Klatt is a cynical guy and I cringe..

Oct 3, 2018, 2:20 PM

hearing him talk college football. He'll even admit he's a cocky little a-hole and anymore I turn the dial when he speaks.

But, if season ended today they are right. Alot of football left to be played...two full months to be exact.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:21 PM

them guys better check sos from here on out. maybe you could google it also.

Neither has a vote so it doesn’t matter what they think.

Oct 3, 2018, 2:25 PM

So they're 3rd and we're 4th. I could see that. The ACC is

Oct 3, 2018, 2:28 PM

not in the business of giving us any bumps in the rankings anytime soon. All we can do is hope Texas AM beats everyone else on their schedule.

These things work out over the season

Oct 3, 2018, 2:30 PM

The chance of 5 undefeated teams is next to none.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: These things work out over the season

Oct 3, 2018, 2:46 PM

I agree that 5 undefeated is highly unlikely. But if that happens, if Clemson & ND are 2 of them, and the rest are all Power 5 conference champs....then yes, the committee chooses ND. I wish I could say the CFP committee prefers champs over SOS, but they don't. 2016 OSU, 2017 Bama. Doesn't matter that Bama ended up winning it all. The end result doesn't justify the action taken prior to the end result. The action taken was selection of BRAND and SOS over Conference Champs. They say conference champs are priority. But their actions say BRAND and SOS.

If 5 go undefeated and we get the shaft, we just go win a bowl game and call ourselves National Champs like Bama did for like 8 of their so-called titles.

Re: These things work out over the season

Oct 3, 2018, 3:00 PM

That only happened because the teams they were compared with had more losses than them. Therefore not comparable.

Who would you have put on over Bama? 2 loss Aub, 2 loss Oh St?***

Oct 3, 2018, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: These things work out over the season ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Who would you have put on over Bama? 2 loss Aub, 2 loss Oh St?***

Oct 3, 2018, 4:16 PM

Yes, conference champ Ohio St. Dabo agreed with me. As did many others. Based on what we were told was the more important criteria. But now we know better. Your plan needs to be:Lose 1 game to your eventual division champ, take a week off while the other teams go play an extra game, rest up, then come loaded for bear into the CFP. Got it, loud and clear!

That only works IF you are in the SEC!***

Oct 3, 2018, 7:52 PM

ACC’s extended football agreement with Notre Dame means

Oct 3, 2018, 2:30 PM

Check out last paragraph -

Here’s what the ACC’s extended football agreement with Notre Dame means
BY JOE GIGLIO

ORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY
May 11, 2017 01:51 PM

Updated May 11, 2017 04:18 PM

Notre Dame will continue to get the best of both worlds from the ACC through at least 2037.

The conference announced an extension of its football agreement with the Fighting Irish on Thursday. Notre Dame, a member of the ACC in all sports but football, will play five ACC teams every year from 2026 through ’37.

Notre Dame gets to retain its football independence while the ACC’s television contract gets a boost from the home dates its teams have with the Irish (All Notre Dame’s home games are still on NBC).

Notre Dame also gets to participate in the ACC’s bowl tie-ins and access to its annual spotlight national game on Labor Day.

The ACC and Notre Dame began their relationship in 2014 and the Irish have played an average of five ACC teams per season since and have a 9-6 record in those games.

As long as Notre Dame is an independent, there will be speculation about its football future, but the Indiana Catholic school has been steadfast about not joining a conference full-time.

It is contractually obligated to join the ACC if it does decide to give up its independence.

Notre Dame is one of four remaining national independents and is easily the highest profile. That could potentially change depending on the College Football Playoff landscape, and access to it. The Irish, 4-8 a year ago, were not a factor in the national race for the four-team playoff and have played for the national title only once (in 2012) since 1988.

If a conference championship were to become a part of the criteria to make the playoff, Notre Dame would have little choice but to join the ACC. In three years of the CFP, only one team (Ohio State in 2016) has made the field without winning its conference title.

I guess stats and facts don't apply to Bama....***

Oct 3, 2018, 2:37 PM

They didn't even win their division last year.

P.S> Just noticed the date of the article. CFP committee proved them wrong.

Re: ACC’s extended football agreement with Notre Dame means

Oct 3, 2018, 3:01 PM [ in reply to ACC’s extended football agreement with Notre Dame means ]

Trick is, see the playoff protocol I posted above.

Championships and SOS do actually become a part of it when 2 teams appear to be equal, i.e. equal record (2 undefeated or two 1 loss teams vying for the spot).

Re: ACC’s extended football agreement with Notre Dame means

Oct 3, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to ACC’s extended football agreement with Notre Dame means ]

Alabama didn’t win theirs last year.

The article is pretty old

Oct 4, 2018, 12:16 PM

Before last year's playoff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL its October 3rd. People are morons***

Oct 3, 2018, 3:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

After 12 games, they may be right. Fortunately, we have 13 and will overtake a 12 win ND.***

Oct 3, 2018, 3:08 PM

null

Don't forget the ND struggled to beat Ball State and Vandy

Oct 3, 2018, 3:18 PM

24-16 and 22-17 respectively. Not impressive. And they weren't on their 3rd string QB either.

Oct 3, 2018, 4:03 PM

Yeah if it comes down to us being 12-0 and ND being 12-0.. yes they probably get the nod because their schedule is more difficult. Then... uh-oh, Clemson beats a ranked (probably) coastal team and is now 13-0. No way they leave out a 13-0 conference champion coming off a ranked nuetral site win out of the CFP.

However it never works out that way. There would have to be 4 other undefeated teams for this to matter.

Oct 3, 2018, 4:43 PM

My look is if we are 13-0 and ND is 12-0, and we have been to 3 playoff years and ND none, SOMEONE is going to say..."Let's get some fresh blood in here, ND gets my vote"... anyone???

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

Oct 3, 2018, 6:28 PM

'Fresh blood' isn't a criterion.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No

Oct 3, 2018, 6:49 PM

Balz

If "fresh blood" is the criteria, then

Oct 3, 2018, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: "Notre Dame over Clemson if they both go undefeated" ]

both Alabama and Georgia don't go again.

Oct 3, 2018, 7:43 PM

I pull for every team against ND until they decide to join the ACC and stop being a playoff distraction. It seems that every season starts with ND hype deserved or not.

notre dame could have a hard time winning a tie

Oct 3, 2018, 8:11 PM

when some peeps on the committee are from actual conferences
that play 13 games

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see if there's really that much difference

Oct 3, 2018, 9:31 PM

1) We have 3 common opponents: FSU, Cuse, and Wake. Unless the margins of victory are dramatically different these should offset.

2) Notre Dame plays VT. We will either also play VT in the ACCCG or play a better Miami team. This is relatively even, maybe a slight edge to Clemson.

3) ND plays some average to bad teams and we play some average to bad teams. They play Ball State, Navy, Pitt, Northwestern, and Vandy. We play BC, GSU, GT, Duke, and Louisville. The average S&P+ rank of their 5 worst opponents is 78th. The average S&P+ rank of our worst 5 opponents is 64th . I'm just throwing out Furman entirely since we will play 13 games and ND will play 12. The extra game for us is Furman... whatever. Our bottom 5 games are tougher than ND's so slight edge to Clemson, but nobody will really care.

4) Notre Dame plays some pretty good teams too, but nobody truly great. Their top 3 opponents are Michigan (7th), USC (28th), and Stanford (31st) for an average rank of 22. That's a smidge better than our current top 3 of A&M (22nd), NC State (24th), and South Carolina (29th) which average out to 25th.

Honestly it looks about dead even to me, but Notre Dame's schedule will be perceived better by people who don't do much (if any) research because of the names on the jersey. Michigan, USC, and Stanford sounds a lot sexier than A&M, NC State, and South Carolina.

Oct 4, 2018, 9:38 AM

I will never be a Syracuse fan. I hope Notre Dame gives them a taste of their own "tactics".

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic