Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The whole "ACC is weak" comments are getting old
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The whole "ACC is weak" comments are getting old

Dec 4, 2019, 9:17 PM

I understand that this has not been a banner year for the ACC, but the negative media comments are too overdone. To me, the bowl games are about the best barometer of relative strength between conferences. Regular season inter-conference games are a good indicator as well, if they are top teams vs. top teams, mid level teams vs. mid level teams, and lower level teams vs. lower level teams...as measured after the regular season. Here is last years ACC and SEC post season results. The ACC was 6-5, and could have been 7-5 except the BC game (which BC was dominating) was canceled due to bad weather. The SEC was 6-6. This year, the "weak" ACC has more bowl eligible teams than any other conference. If the ACC was as weak as the media says, and the SEC was as powerful as the media says, then wouldn't the SEC have a far better bowl record than they actually do. I think that the ACC being undersold by the media, and the SEC being oversold by the media contributes to this too. As an aside, I think that UNC is one of the best 6-6 teams in the country. The media SELDOM points out that UNC lost a LOT of close games. Tennessee is also 6-6. I would love to see UNC and Tennessee in a bowl game. I think that UNC would win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

In past years, I would have agreed. This year, I am NOT

Dec 4, 2019, 9:22 PM

looking forward to seeing the other ACC teams in action in bowl season. I think it is going to be ugly. I'm talking Pawl Finebaum in a dress and pearls type ugly. (That'd be "claw your own eyes out" ugly right there.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh, the picture you have painted! ??***

Dec 4, 2019, 11:17 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The whole "ACC is weak" comments are getting old

Dec 4, 2019, 9:29 PM

What you said times 2.

Emotional people get stuck right about here. They aren't listening when you acknowledge that the ACC is having a down year. But, look back just a couple years ago and it was and still is other conferences performing just as poorly but w/o the negative press! That's the part many people are missing. Nobody is saying it isn't warranted. Just that if you are going to call it out - call it out for everybody! Call it like it is and don't create a false narrative!
When the SEC is .500 during bowl season acknowledge it! Just as you do the ACC. But, 2016 the ACC won the Bowl Challenge Cup with a 9-3 record and a National Title. That wasn't that long ago!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 9:38 PM

This is being driven by the fact the SEC has 5 really good to good teams in LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and they probably would want to throw in Auburn and Florida in there as great even though I would only call them good teams but not great...... While the ACC only has one really good team with Clemson I would call Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest good but not great teams.....but then the ACC has more what I would call average teams than the SEC with the SEC having actually more bad teams than the ACC......therefore resulting in the ACC having more bowl eligible teams than any other conference.....this tells me the SEC is very Top heavy with everything based on those 5 top teams while the ACC is probably stronger from Top to bottom than the SEC......bowl season will once again prove this year who is the stronger of the two conferences when it plays out just like last season with the ACC holding its own against the SEC......Go Tigers!!!!

Agree. A UNC vs UT bowl game would be interesting. Belk?***

Dec 4, 2019, 10:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post, but don’t forget SEC teams are so tired after

Dec 4, 2019, 10:58 PM

The Regular season grind and just don’t want to be there......laugh my a*s off!

Dec 4, 2019, 11:25 PM

"This year, the "weak" ACC has more bowl eligible teams than any other conference. "

I agree with all you say, but the SEC has 10 and the ACC has 10 bowl eligible teams. Just correcting that fer ya'.

Correcting your correction,the SEC has 9 bowl eligible teams

Dec 5, 2019, 2:06 PM

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/cbs-sports-expert-jerry-palm-updates-sec-bowl-projections-following-end-of-regular-season/

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Dec 4, 2019, 11:42 PM

The ACC sucks , it sucks really bad .
Teams like UVA,VT,WF,Pitt, Louisville and UNC look decent and are moving up I believe.
The only thing that gets me is how Clemson beats these teams . Yeah most top 15 teams would win these games but the Tigers make them look like HS teams.
These so called experts have got to see this and deep down they know what’s coming.

Dec 5, 2019, 7:47 AM

Oh You mean we beat them like we spanked ND and Alabama last year

agreed

Dec 4, 2019, 11:45 PM

On twitter, every time anyone posts anything about Clemson at all, it's littered with "didn't play anyone" comments.

Dec 5, 2019, 12:43 AM

What gets old for me is Clemson fans who give a care about people bashing the ACC. The 2nd best team is pathetic compared to other conferences, which is completely out of our control.

We are very close to the championship round so don't sweat it. All will be proven on the field.

Let's just enjoy our 27-0 team. We are about to whip UVA and find out who our semifinal opponent is.

Good times.

Dec 5, 2019, 7:55 AM

BC was dominating? It was 7-0 and still in the 1st quarter.

The ACC bowl wins last year? 2 of them were by Clemson btw which left the rest of the conference at 4-5. Those 4 wins were over Memphis, Temple, WV playing without their starting QB and #1 receiver, and South Carolina. The ACC teams outside of Clemson beat 2 P5 teams in the bowl season, and lost 3 games against P5 teams by 24 or more points. If we're hanging our hat on that then ok...

Yeah the ACC has the worst bowl lineup so the conference

Dec 5, 2019, 7:59 AM

really should be doing well in bowl games.

Not as old as people trying to defend it

Dec 5, 2019, 7:57 AM

Outside of Clemson it's a big pile of smoldering poo.

Dec 5, 2019, 8:00 AM

This year the ACC is 4-9 against P5 conferences, and that includes a 2-0 record by Clemson putting the other teams at 2-9 which are wins over Rutgers and South Carolina. If you include the 0-4 record against ND that puts them at 2-13.

Last year the ACC was 7-13 against P5 teams and that includes 3-0 by Clemson putting the other teams at 4-13. That's a combined 6-22 against P5 teams over the last 2 seasons, and 0-8 against ND during that time putting them at 6-30 against P5 teams plus ND.

I don't take pride in pointing out things like this, but it's frankly embarrassing for so many of our fans to keep ignoring facts like this while trying to argue that the ACC is treated unfairly. You just can't defend 6-30. The one funny thing though is South Carolina represents a third of the ACC wins during that time.

Dec 5, 2019, 8:01 AM

Unfortunately I think even the bad SEC teams (Ole Miss, Miss State, etc) would beat the middle of the pack ACC teams this year. Just the way it is, it's cyclical and things will change as some of these teams who have a lot of inexperience get better.

Dec 5, 2019, 10:04 AM

Playdough said:

Unfortunately I think even the bad SEC teams (Ole Miss, Miss State, etc) would beat the middle of the pack ACC teams this year. Just the way it is, it's cyclical and things will change as some of these teams who have a lot of inexperience get better.

Accurate statement. The SEC actually has a 2nd tier group of teams. LSU is at the top obviously, on par with us, then you have UGA, Bama, UF, Auburn, and I'll even throw in A&M in their own 2.5 tier because their 5 losses are to #2, #3, #4, #11, and #12. That 2nd tier isn't as good as the premier team, but they generally beat all the other lower teams in the conference. The ACC has Clemson, a huge gap, and then a bunch of average teams. UVA was able to separate a little, but they still have losses to Miami and Louisville who are supposedly significantly worse teams. Outside of UGA's loss to SC, that SEC 2nd tier doesn't have any bad losses, and they beat all the conference's bad teams. So yeah, the ACC may very well still have the best team in the country, we'll find out in a little over a month. But the ACC as a conference is really bad this year. This is how I would stack it up in the tiers I was talking about.

SEC ACC
LSU CLEM
UGA, BAMA, UF, AUB
A&M UVA
VT
TENN, UK, MIZZ, MISS ST WF, LOU, MIA, PITT, FSU, BC, UNC
MISS, SC
DUKE, SYR
NCST, GT
ARK

Dec 5, 2019, 8:03 AM

The media narrative is old, tired and stale. You could make the argument that every conference is weak in some form. Geez.

Dec 5, 2019, 4:24 PM

There just isn’t another great team outside of Clemson.

The Atlantic: Florida State is one great hire away from being in that conversation again. Louisville is tending up with Satterfield. Wake is trending up with Clawson, but until their recruiting improves, I can’t see them being much of a factor at the national level. NC State might need to make a change pretty soon. Boston College doesn’t have a rich area to recruit from, but I still think they can be a consistent 8 win team. Syracuse had momentum coming into the season, but again, it comes down to recruiting, and until Dino makes strides in that area they won’t be relevant.

The Coastal: Virginia Tech was a really young team, so they should be the favorites next year, hopefully they can be a 10 win team. Virginia is trending up under Bronco, but they are about to lose their entire offense, and they don’t recruit that well. UNC is trending up under Mack Brown, I think they can compete for the Coastal title next year, they might have the most talented roster in that division. Miami is headed down a dark road quickly, hopefully Manny Diaz can turn them around as they clearly have the most potential to be a player at the national level. Pitt reminds me a lot of Boston College, they don’t have a great area to recruit from, but they can still be a consistent 8 win team. Duke has no chance because they just can’t recruit, they are the Vandy of the ACC. Georgia Tech is in a long rebuild, but I think they have a ton of potential being in Atlanta.

When it comes down to it, the ACC desperately needs Florida State, Miami, and Virginia Tech to be nationally relevant again. North Carolina and Louisville are trending in the right direction, and recruiting well enough. Virginia and Syracuse have had recent success on the field, but it hasn’t translated to recruiting. Georgia Tech and NC State have potential to be threats ever so often. Boston College and Pitt can be consistent teams every year. That’s what this conference needs.

They love to pile on the ACC, even in years when we’re

Dec 5, 2019, 4:29 PM

Decent. I’m tired of it too but used to it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2019, 12:45 AM

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

To listen to the critics you would think there would be no ACC presence on this list. Regardless of what the 10 bowl eligible ( more than any other conference ) teams do - there are some good players in the ACC. The teams records don't always show it; but people have over-done the whole play of strength. Dismissing our wins OOC but including Alabama's when they played other ACC opponents is a weak play with numbers.

How about talk about how Duke played Northwestern in Illinois last year and beat them by two TD's. Yet, NW was the west rep in the Big 10 championship game! **Crickets**

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic