Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so

Jun 2, 2020, 10:39 PM

We are not going to solve it here on TigerNet. Any discussion about something so culturally complicated and proprietary is only going to result in “missing it” and saying inappropriate things. As a black man I don’t think this rises to being fired IMHO. There are AA brothers and sisters that would disagree with me with valid arguments. Please my tiger friends and fellow alumni receive as information, be sorry that this happened but stay away from explaining it away or justifying or condemning. I hate that this occured for our players and coach pearman. They are both victims of the racism behind and inherent to this word and it’s inter-racial use that confuses many outside of the culture looking in. Stay humble on this one- trust me!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so

Jun 2, 2020, 10:52 PM

Thank you I just posted my rant because this crap is getting ridiculous. If it offends someone then don't use the word PERIOD

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, Agree!

Jun 2, 2020, 11:00 PM

We aren’t going to be able to undo the evil act of Slavery that has been cruelly put upon many groups & Races over hundreds & thousands of years such as the Israelites & Blacks.

But, we can learn from it and change, even if slowly.

A start is to Love, Respect & Treat your brother & neighbor as yourself.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, Agree!

Jun 2, 2020, 11:07 PM

That’s not just a start, that’s the answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

It’s a land mine planted long ago...

Jun 2, 2020, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Yep, Agree! ]

And we are walking in a historical war field. It is a word that is a bomb and Coach pearman and team tripped it and tripped over it even though it was not aimed at anyone. I hate it for all the men and young men injured by this situation. I hate it for clemson football. This is a terrible occurrence based on some very terrible history and usage combined with its ethnic novelty and even affectionate use by African Americans like myself. I’m sorry for everyone. I’m sad for black folks to which this word has been typically assigned as something derogatory. It sucks that this word ever made its way into american vocabulary in the way it did. Now we all suffer directly and indirectly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s a land mine planted long ago...

Jun 2, 2020, 11:14 PM

I guess I missed something the few hours I was gone. It doesn't sound like it's something I want to hear.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: It’s a land mine planted long ago...

Jun 3, 2020, 12:36 AM [ in reply to It’s a land mine planted long ago... ]

Thanks, and God bless you, HBROWN. Unfortunately, all suffering is due to both direct and indirect causes, and if it was simply one, or the other, we might actually figure it out and make some headway on solving it. We just can't figure out which-is-which, and make too many false assumptions trying to do so.

Go Tigers!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, Agree!

Jun 4, 2020, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Yep, Agree! ]

Amen brother......Go Tigers!!!!

Jun 2, 2020, 11:56 PM

"They are both victims of the racism behind and inherent to this word and it’s inter-racial use that confuses many outside of the culture looking in."

Interesting concept, so you're saying there is a culture that can use the word and a culture that cannot?

Serious question... would like to hear your thoughts.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 9:28 AM

You didn’t ask for my thoughts, but here they are anyway.

Just accept that it’s a horrible word no matter who uses it. Yes, one segment of our society gets to decide if and how that word is used, IMO. That’s just how it is.

The fault for this is not black people...it’s the fault of generations of white people who believe they are superior to black people.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:55 AM

Wish we could see who TD’s posts...

Jun 3, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so ]

Your right I dint ask for your opinion, but it does give historical content. Your opinion is the color of persons skin defines the content of their character. Got it. The sins of the past are also the sins of the present, even if the people in the present have no part in the past by race, family, heritage, geography or any other connection. MLK would be proud.

Jun 3, 2020, 11:20 AM

I don't think that's how he meant that post, and I feel like you know that. I think the better question would be, why do you want to say it so badly?

Let's be honest, most of the time it comes out of the mouth of a white person it isn't exactly for positive reasons. The situation with coach Pearman sounds like it may have come from a place of trying to teach a lesson, and perhaps he went too far?

I'm going to guess there was probably a little more to that exchange than Pearman and Greenlee are saying now simply because Greenlee has said he was upset at the time. I could be wrong about that though, but I feel like Greenlee has forgiven him for whatever it was and didn't want to see Pearman's career impacted by something he's moved on from. Either way, I don't think Pearman was trying to say it in a hateful way or anything.

Still though, I think it's childish to do the whole "they say it so why can't I" stance. I mean, a husband might call his wife his "little wh0re" in the bedroom but I don't think you'd be questioning why you aren't allowed to call her that just because he is.

Jun 3, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so ]

That is exactly the opposite of what I was saying.

What I’ve consistently argued is that we are called to love our neighbor. If there’s words that demean my neighbor I will not use those words and believe no one should. The word in question has no impact on me, so the ones impacted can do whatever they like. Personally I believe the word should completely disappear from use, however if the people affected want to use it in another way, that’s their prerogative.

The fact that it bothers you that they can use athat word and you can’t says a lot about you.

Jun 3, 2020, 2:20 PM

This was from an earlier thread and explains how I feel:

“My father used to say “you don’t have to understand. All you need to know is that it’s a word that is hurtful to other people and we are commanded as Christians to love our neighbor. We can’t say things that are hurtful to our neighbor.”

When people profess to be a Christian but try to justify use of that word, then I question if they really believe anything.”

Jun 3, 2020, 6:55 PM

Noodle said:

This was from an earlier thread and explains how I feel:

“My father used to say “you don’t have to understand. All you need to know is that it’s a word that is hurtful to other people and we are commanded as Christians to love our neighbor. We can’t say things that are hurtful to our neighbor.”

When people profess to be a Christian but try to justify use of that word, then I question if they really believe anything.”

You do realize black people dont often use this word negatively amongst each other?

Jun 3, 2020, 7:21 PM

I guess my post wasn’t clear. I was talking specifically about white people using that word or trying to justify it.

IMO, black people can do whatever they want with that word, though I would prefer it just disappear from our language.

Jun 3, 2020, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so ]

You must not have many black friends lol.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:00 AM [ in reply to Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so ]

So when black people use it then it is considered positive? Well my friends don't go around calling me cracker trying to positively influence my life.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so ]

JPF16® said:

Your right I dint ask for your opinion, but it does give historical content. Your opinion is the color of persons skin defines the content of their character. Got it. The sins of the past are also the sins of the present, even if the people in the present have no part in the past by race, family, heritage, geography or any other connection. MLK would be proud.

I've been called the n word by white and black people. I've never been called it maliciously by a black person, but I've have been called it maliciously by a white person. I've also had white people call me the n word in circumstances where I do believe the person wasnt trying to be malicious. But that has always made me visibly uncomfortable, obviously because of past experiences.

If I was white I dont see why this would be even a minor convenience. As a black man, I dont use the n word or any curse words. But that is my choice, and I have a lifetime worth of experiences with black people that have used the word in a non negative fashion.

Jun 4, 2020, 12:02 AM

Sorry but I don't see how this word can be used in a non negative fashion.

Jun 4, 2020, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: The N-word is a hot debate even in the black community, so ]

See this is the thing that makes no sense....if the word is such a negative word, if it brings up tones of hatred, of bad history, of racism, why exactly did it get turned into a word of endearment? Why did it become normalized at all in the black community, to where there would ever be a reason for a coach to have to try to correct a player for using it and this happen? DO you not see the issue there? Why exactly would you want to normalize it, as a black man (or woman) if its a word of hate?

DO you see any other races that do that? Do hispanics come up and say "Hola, spic?"...do caucasians go to their friends and say "What's up Whitey....not much cracker?"...do asians go to each other and call each other Gooks or ######? No.

I'd really like to hear why it's not the same in the black community. Why try to normalize it and use it in a "non negative" fashion (if there really even is suck a way that is)?

Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too.

Jun 3, 2020, 12:01 AM

https://www.newswars.com/nba-announcer-suspended-for-tweeting-all-lives-matter/

Re: Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too.

Jun 3, 2020, 9:46 AM

What is racist about All Lives Matter?? This is what frustrates me it’s ok for one race to use a word they think is one of the worst words in the English language. But as a Christian I am highly offended when people say GD?? What’s the difference?? If the n word is so bad stop Hollywood from using it in movies. Stop all races from using the n word. I am sick of all of these double standards. This is one messed up world!

If I were the announcer I would get me a dang good attorney.

And yes All Lives Do Matter!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's really not that complicated...it's not everyone that

Jun 3, 2020, 10:21 AM

gets pulled over, harassed, and too often murdered because of the color of their skin. I'm a white male and have no idea what feeling "unsafe" in the US feels like. Much less worrying what my kids might encounter on a daily basis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's really not that complicated...it's not everyone that

Jun 3, 2020, 11:26 PM

I have been pulled over multiple times when I was a teenager because of what I looked like and I am white. I am still scared when the cops get behind me and i haven't dont anything illegal in a long long time.

I've been pulled over.

Jun 4, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to It's really not that complicated...it's not everyone that ]

Argument invalid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jun 3, 2020, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too. ]

I'm not sure anyone needs to be fired or suspended from their job over saying it, but I do know that the one's I've heard say it on a personal basis are the types that aren't saying it simply as a "let's come together as people" type of way.

I think people saying that are missing the point of "black lives matter" as really the saying would probably be more accurate to say "black lives matter too." I think those trying to question the saying are similar to those who say things like "why isn't there a white entertainment television" or a "white history month." I don't think anyone is racist simply for saying those things, but rather not taking the time to truly understand the reasoning.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too. ]

No one should have their career ended by the PC mob for saying something that is true by all objective measures. And ticked me off that he didn't stand by his words but caved. I love it when folks stand by what they said even if I don't agree. His empoyer should be ashamed for caving also.

Can't anyone stand up to PC and the twitter mob?

Jun 4, 2020, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too. ]

This is exactly what I have been trying to say. I like the way you put it.

So, do some lives matter more than others?

Jun 4, 2020, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too. ]

I don't get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: So, do some lives matter more than others?

Jun 5, 2020, 9:07 AM

Read Animal Farm, it will all make sense... when your done read 1984, then step outside and realize Orwell was actually Nostrodamus...

Jun 5, 2020, 9:30 AM

Wasn’t it Animal Farm that said something to the effect of “all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others?” Always liked that line.

Jun 5, 2020, 9:42 AM [ in reply to So, do some lives matter more than others? ]

Because of a belief that they currently are valued less than others.

It's a catch 22 with no happy ending

All lives DO matter***

Jun 3, 2020, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Apparently believing "all lives matter" is too. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not Clemson football related.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:33 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

i played ball and graduated high school in 2001

Jun 3, 2020, 5:15 PM

it was a pretty prominent phrase in between the guys. The white guys would not say it unless they wanted to start a brawl.

Good times, slam your classmates head in a locker and vice versa. I dont understand why its so controversial to solve problems with fists anymore. Thats what people need to do, punch each other in the mouth. You don't need a gun to get your point across.

people are so lazy, i swear if men were still men we'd just fight it out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This keeps sticking in my head..

Jun 3, 2020, 6:39 PM

I wonder if when spearman said that..was it a slip of the tongue and caused by him being around the black players in his group that all the time call each other the n word? I know plenty of white and black people that are close with each other and call each other the n word and no one cares. It just makes me wonder if coach heard it so often within his group of players that it was kinda what happened

Re: This keeps sticking in my head..

Jun 3, 2020, 7:32 PM

Very possible!! I had a black roommate in college. I’m white. He was a basketball player , I was baseball. We picked at each other relentlessly. I called him the “n word” and he would call me all kinds of white slurs. It was play between us. That was the mid 80s.

Jun 3, 2020, 10:43 PM

https://images.app.goo.gl/ndMNyJB5gvrkZAYU7

Until all such words are eliminated . . . .

Jun 5, 2020, 9:41 AM

. . . . This will continue to raise it's ugly head

The N word for blacks
The C word for Asians
The F word for LGBT
The K word for Jews

When those groups, ethnicities, cultures stop using the word internally, then it will die a justified death. As long as they continue to use it, casually, frivolously, jokingly, as easy as someone says "bro" or "dude" then this will happen again and again and again.

My 2 cents

Re: Until all such words are eliminated . . . .

Jun 5, 2020, 12:13 PM

You nailed it! A few minutes ago a 2 teenage boys parked beside me. One black , one white. They had rap blasting for all of us to “enjoy”. I heard the n word at least 3 times in the few minutes they were there. I’m assuming the black kid can rap along with the lyrics. What happens if the white kid does that. I don’t know maybe ask coach Pearnan.

Jun 5, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Until all such words are eliminated . . . . ]

You Forgot:
C — Cracker
H— Honkey

I’m old enough to have been called both!

Jun 5, 2020, 3:50 PM

Did it make your blood run hot and make you want to protest or kill the person?

Nah, me neither. Nor did being called a "wop" because I'm part Italian.

I guess my white privilege is that I don't let words hurt me.

Jun 5, 2020, 4:09 PM

No, I didn’t want to go out and kill someone or loot and destroy property!

Jun 5, 2020, 1:07 PM

Thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom. I am 52 years old and I remember when I was 9 or 10 and I used that word towards my brother and my Mom told me don’t ever let me hear you say that word again. That stuck with me and I have followed her direction throughout my life. I am lucky to have had a wonderful person help guide my through this confusing world

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 1:38 PM

My point was that if the word is not ok then it’s not ok for anyone.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic