Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Hill
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

The Hill

Aug 18, 2019, 6:57 AM

I personally don't believe the tradition of students filling the Hill for every game has been affected by anything the administration at Clemson has done.
I personally believe it is just another thing that this generation thinks their too good to do. They believe that they deserve better seats and consider sitting on the Hill below their standards.
I work with onboarding new employees for a large manufacturer in our area and the first question many new hires ask is, "how do I get a job as a manager". This attitude is what has destroyed the tradition of the Hill. So open these seats up to people who will pay to sit there and quit giving them to people who will not show up or leave at half-time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Hill

Aug 18, 2019, 7:10 AM

I used to love to sit on the hill, both as a student and as a fan in my 20s. I don’t believe I ever actually had a hill ticket for any game i sat there. I would purchase a lower and make my way to the hill.

The administration (through policy) has made it so that I can never sit on the hill again. I will never have a hill ticket or a student ID to get onto the hill. Also the fire marshall has severely limited the number of tickets available for the hill, so it will never be full again.

Enough with the “this generation” BS. This is all on the administration. I’m 39 years old and would love to go stand on the hill for a big game. But I’m not allowed to.

Aug 18, 2019, 7:28 AM

^ This is how I understand the current situation. They changed the rules, and are apparently unwilling to find an compromise situation. I truly believe the admin has plans for the East side that will necessitate a smaller Hill. The half empty status helps them argue their case down the road.

Aug 18, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: The Hill ]

I agree with you. This is completely on the administration. We need to monitor the hill status game by game and organize our concern. We need to be visible and vocal. Dabo has already voiced his concern and nothing changed. If all IPTAY members show up with “Fill the Hill DRad” or “I want to sit on the hill” signs we will get noticed. I emailed him my concern last year. To his credit he replied but, the hill situation is embarrassing.

Sad state of affairs on the Hill

Aug 18, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: The Hill ]

I am just glad that my son (a CU junior who turns 20 today) got to sit on the Hill for the Georgia game as a 14 year old vs Georgia in 2013 and get the true Hill experience. He still sits there some, but when he is my age and I ask him his most memorable moments as a Tiger fan, that one will still be in his top 5.

I only say top 5 because:
1) he also went to the ND hurricane game, as well as 3 CFP games
2) he is still a student, and has two ore seasons with TL and the current stacked roster
3) we will be having big moments for years to come

Safe to say, it is almost 100% certain that e will never have a Hill experience like that again

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Hey everyone let’s crap on young people!”

Aug 18, 2019, 8:04 AM

First, there absolutely are new limits to how many people can get on the hill.
Second, what’s wrong with aspirations of being a manager? I wouldn’t want to work for you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: “Hey everyone let’s crap on young people!”

Aug 18, 2019, 8:47 AM

So it's the administration's fault that students get tickets and then don't show for the game. And I guess it's the administration's fault that the Hill is empty after half time. This is exactly what I am talking about. It's always someone else fault.
Yes there are limits to how many people can be on the Hill but again not an administration decision, this is a government regulation.

And by the way there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a manager but when you are hired for a role for a company, first learn how to do it proficiently before asking to be a manager and young people need to lose the victim mentality.
Take this for what it's worth but it's not the best look for a new associate in a new role.

Proof that students don't show up for the games?***

Aug 18, 2019, 10:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

The Hill is a great tradition of Clemson football and I fear

Aug 18, 2019, 8:53 AM

it has been ruined by someone in an Administrative capacity.

There are nowhere near as many people on it, which not only looks bad, but also causes Death Valley to be a few decibel levels lower.

I can't understand why someone hasn't been called out for it. Especially by our BOT.

Re: The Hill is a great tradition of Clemson football and I fear

Aug 18, 2019, 9:16 AM

Fire Marshall in the city of Clemson restricts number of people allowed in the stadium.
Security measures are a response to the shootings and terrorism in our world today.

Re: The Hill is a great tradition of Clemson football and I fear

Aug 18, 2019, 10:16 AM

So you admit that the Fire Marshal is restricting the number on the Hill yet you still insist that it's the student's fault? Geez how much misplaced hate do you have for younger people? Kinda pathetic..

GO TIGERS

Aug 18, 2019, 8:55 AM

I graduated in ‘16, we always filled the hill. I sat in the top right corner almost every game day. Since I graduated, the admin significantly reduced the # of hill tickets, got more strict about people sneaking onto the hill(which was extremely common and no one ever got hurt by it), and made it harder and slower for those with hill tickets to get into the hill with the added security(not exactly something college students enjoy being around). This is solely on the administration. Keep these seats for students only and get rid of the BS barriers that DRad has put on them.

Also, having a path for advancement, especially early in your career, is pretty important. Its pretty ridiculous to be shocked that people would ask about it. Do millennials and gen z tend towards entitlement? Absolutely. Does that have anything to do with the things you’re complaining about? Absolutely not. It seems to me you’re the one who feels entitled, without knowing anything about it, to take something away from students and give it to yourself.

Maybe it is Radakovich's doing. Someone has really messed

Aug 18, 2019, 8:59 AM

it up though.

Re: Maybe it is Radakovich's doing. Someone has really messed

Aug 18, 2019, 9:19 AM

It may be fair criticism to say that I'm putting too much of the blame on him specifically. Certainly the Fire Marshall deserves a fair bit of blame (given what I've been told by businesses in the area, he's a nuisance to everyone), but I thinks far as the athletics department goes the buck should stop with DRad.

I'm not sure anybody on TigerNet goes to games

Aug 18, 2019, 9:21 AM

with how badly everyone ise so bent out of shape on how to get this new network and watch the game on TV.

Pretty sad. If you were going to the games, you wouldn't be concerned about the ACC Network. I doubt any of our away games will be on ACCN.

Yea, after Tech, Charlotte and Wofford may be the only ones.***

Aug 18, 2019, 9:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair point, but I go to games and still like to DVR them

Aug 18, 2019, 9:48 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure anybody on TigerNet goes to games ]

to get the camera angles and commentary. And sadly, I work for a living and live 200+ miles from Clemson, so I know that I will not be able to be there for the opener and would like to see it.

I do also like to watch games on TV that do not involve Clemson, and look forward to watching commentary and features that are particularly relevant to Clemson and the ACC.

I also hope that once ACCN launches, we as a TigerNet community will rely lesson the SEC Network for our Clemson news.

Re: Fair point, but I go to games and still like to DVR them

Aug 18, 2019, 10:17 PM

Why not stream FREE You Tube to your TV from computer daily and listen/watch all
interviews from all Clemson Sports sites, as well as ESPN, CBS and others.
It has been 3 years since I watched any YT video on my computer.
The wide screen makes you think you are among the media.

When the season starts all games will be on YT by Monday, usually before.
And by Monday night: 20 & 30 minute highlights, "snap to whistle" (no time in between plays)
and niche' videos (all passes by TL, every tiger td, each carry by TE so far--in season).

Every modern day Tiger games are there also.
Many old games and every Bowl game are there. Yes, travel back to 49 or 51 Bowl games.
Just received this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPHr_S0ZDg&ab_channel=IntheShadowofDeathValley
can not decide the best,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ad-UTXjH0A&ab_channel=CoachPeteMeadows
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpaxIgObmE&ab_channel=CoachPeteMeadows
I'll quit.
your 5 best?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTNckjIUmR0&ab_channel=TheMorganThomasShow

Aug 18, 2019, 10:07 AM

I agree with some points by both scooter and sleepytiger. I graduated in 96', 98', did some time on the Hill in my early college years and a great deal more prior to my arrival on campus. I too believe the Hill should get more attention, but I don't actually know enough concrete fact about the problem to offer viable solutions. I will say though, that I've noticed a number of people on Tigernet complain about the Hill attendence, loss of balloons during our entrance, getting bumped from their favorite parking spot or seats because someone else paid more, etc. I notice, as others have pointed out, that many complain but are more concerned about the ACC network, than where they can park or sit. If you don't attend games regularly, then I still respect you as a fan and Clemson needs and appreciates you, but like an absent voter at elections, you haven't earned the right (imo) to have a comment. Unless you need the ACC network so you can tune your sattelite in the parking lot for pregame, please don't ask about it and then post about attendence, AD's descisions on ticketing and for sure, student attendence. I'd say make sure when you point your finger, it's from the stands, not your recliner. I'm invested in my participation. My family lives 4 hours away and we drive there to all home games and as many away games and playoff games as humanly possible. I liked the balloons and a packed Hill, still never complain about either, mainly because there is always more than we know, going on behind the scenes. I'd rather be winning than losing (that requires money) and there yelling as loud as I can in support, than picking apart the Hill on a TV set.

Tangling our youth's values and ethics up in a debate about Hill is pretty petty and without substance. I'll leave that right there.

Generations change, times change. There is an upper deck now, a West endzone, the coal powerplant does not burn anymore, women attend Clemson and soon there will be an East endzone build. Clemson is a better University in athletics and academics today than it ever has been and data support both. Fan support is also as great as it has ever been. Why would a Clemson grad or fan complain about either. Enjoy what you have and spend less time complaining about the rest........ Of course, if you go to games and donate to Iptay or Clemson Fund then you've earned that right as well.

Well stated!***

Aug 18, 2019, 10:21 AM

Aug 18, 2019, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Re: The Hill ]

Right, because there is zero chance an away game could be on the ACCN, so no one should be concerned with it. Or should everyone go to all the away games, as you do.

I will add, some on Tnet have Paid Their Dues, but are at a point in their life where attending a game is no longer viable, illness, distance, work, change in financial situation.

You have fans who have supported the team when it was down, way down. They paid IPTAY, they paid for tickets, parking passes, etc. Now they get bumped by a Johnny-come-lately with deep pockets. I'll grant the landscape has changed, but they still have a right to complain, to have an opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love winning national titles, yet it's more than just winning.

Aug 18, 2019, 2:40 PM

Well thought out, Archie Bunker.

Aug 18, 2019, 12:17 PM

I noticed something else the last year or so also with the players entrance that looks terrible: they have widened the corridor beyond the width of the carpet by at least 10 ft on each side so the fans are nowhere near the players as they trickle instead of run down the hill. If I couldn’t get close and be a real part of the entrance that would take away my desire to be penned in by metal gates like sheep.

Aug 18, 2019, 2:23 PM

Well, we didn't have a "hill." The stadium held 20K and we marched in as a cadet corps to our designated area on the south side. Memories!! So much fun on game day/night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hit the nail on the head. Sale as general admission to....

Aug 18, 2019, 2:37 PM

true fans who have been priced out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you have been at the Hill at the beginning of games

Aug 18, 2019, 9:49 PM

for the last decade and seen the changes that have been made with tickets and access then you would know it's as much about the changes in the logistics as it is the changes in the students.

Aug 19, 2019, 8:32 AM

The whole system for student tickets needs to be revamped. I liked the system we had in the 80’s but these are different times.

They need to allow free access to the hill. Right now they guard it like it’s Ft Knox. Just let people come and go. It’s ok. The emptiness of the hill before the game is a result of the blocking that whole area off way too early. There’s really no reason to stop all access until the teams leave the locker rooms.

They need a system where students can get seats with their friends. As it is now they may get a seat but it’s with people they don’t know...going solo. I wouldn’t do that.

If it were up to me, I would issue GA tickets to students. Sit wherever you want within the student sections. First come. Reshuffle at half time or stay in your seats. I would also have all student seats in the lower deck.

The students do care but they have a system that works against them. I wouldn’t have gone to many games with the system they have in place now.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic