Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on the Clemson Tigers Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 926

My take on the Clemson Tigers Defense

Sep 26, 2012, 12:25 PM

Usually I read posts, but I'm going to post my thoughts on this pressing issue that determines whether our tigers win or lose games the rest of the season.

I've read where its lack of talent, its Venebles, its lack of aggression, etc. Well, its TWO things that are causing our tigers to not have the defense we once had.

The first is the lack of fundamentals tought by Coach Steele. This means tackling, lining up correctly, etc. combined with his difficult scheme. The players went game after game getting confused, and got into a habit of figuring out the play calls more than just learning to be aggressive,tackling, taking the right angles, playing with passion. It took them out of their game.

The second is that this habit of trying to figure out a tough scheme also caused a lack of aggression.

Venebles has made this defense simpler, but its going to take more than 4 games to get them out of the bad habits that formed the last year and a half. When will the D get out of these bad habits? I think that it will happen soon. There is no way these young kids and Venebles don't know how to fix it. I think by the Va Tech game, we will see an improved D. We won't be there by G Tech so don't get mad. We will be better than people think by then. Pray that we do, its making me ill watching all that success on one side of the ball and knowing if we produce a better than average D, we can be a special team.

Here's to breaking old habits and learning better ones sooner rather than later.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables has had them for how long now??***

Sep 26, 2012, 12:27 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Re: Venables has had them for how long now??***

Sep 26, 2012, 12:28 PM

4 games, not alot of game experience.

Actually on the field????

Sep 26, 2012, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Venables has had them for how long now??*** ]

Let's see Spring Practice so 15 practices, Fall Camp so another month, and Season 4 Games so another month.

My guess is hands on time with them somewhere around 3 months max!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Actually on the field????

Sep 26, 2012, 12:33 PM

Just to back up what TigerDave is saying, 3 months is not enough time to change over a year and a half of bad habits that have formed. Only 4 games of game speed is not alot of true time.

The Chad had it fixed day one. No Spence blaming***

Sep 26, 2012, 12:37 PM

Re: The Chad had it fixed day one. No Spence blaming***

Sep 26, 2012, 12:42 PM

You make a good point elcid, Chad did get it fixed day one. He installed an offense that above all things goes at a very fast pace that throws the defense off immediately every time you snap the ball. Napier didn't create bad habits, the guys could play. The problem with Napier was that his play calling and sheer knowledge of the game wasn't up to speed. Add Sammy Watkins and other great recruits in an up tempo system that forces the defense to play faster than they would like, coupled with Coach Morris' master play calling during a game, and you see a totally different situation that Coach Venebles has on his hands. My opinion of course, respectfully.

Hear-Hear...or is it Here-Here! ***

Sep 26, 2012, 12:45 PM

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Chad had a different senario

Sep 26, 2012, 12:46 PM [ in reply to The Chad had it fixed day one. No Spence blaming*** ]

He had a decent, experienced line, a great TE in DA, a very good WR in Nuk, a freshman all American in SW, and a very capable QB. BV came in with high hopes for some, but the only real exciting players on D right now are S. Anthony and T Blanks.

Probably more important than that, The Chad had just been through implementing his system the year before at Tulsa. He knew exactly how to roll out his scheme and how to deliver it to his team. BV has been at one place for 12 yrs. I don't think BV has done ANYTHING wrong to this point, he will get our D to play solid football by EOY.

My point is it is not fair to compare BV to CM. they had COMPLETELY different circumstances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I fully expect BV's defenses to be top ten

Sep 26, 2012, 12:52 PM

eventually. Did not think it would take this long with the obvious studs he has on that side of the ball.

Re: Oh I fully expect BV's defenses to be top ten

Sep 26, 2012, 12:56 PM

"studs on that side of the ball" Right

Re: Oh I fully expect BV's defenses to be top ten

Sep 26, 2012, 12:59 PM

I agree with cid, BV does have studs on that side of the ball. Studs who have to break bad habits and learn the right way to play.

Replies: 11
| visibility 926
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic