Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still think y’all have a good team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,684

Still think y’all have a good team

Jan 30, 2021, 6:34 PM

I fully expect Clemson to come out of the funk against my Tar Heels next week.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still think y’all have a good team

Jan 30, 2021, 7:25 PM

Well I think that’s a LOT of people’s issue with Brownell after 11 years we’ve had several “good” teams. But they have never been anymore successful than the “not so good” teams in between. It’s just the same mediocre season year after year. The not so good teams over perform and finish better than expected but never really that good. And the good teams underperform and finish below expectations. IMO after several years of that you have to start looking at coaching.

A good example would be UGA and Mark Richt. He had some great teams and some good teams but he could never get over the hump and win a championship. He always got close but never did it. After 10+ years of the same it was time for a change. Obviously UGA hasn’t done much better but they did make it to a Natty.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2021, 7:36 PM

Yeah I understand the frustration. There’s times I’ve thought Brownell was brilliant. Last year in Chapel Hill he was really good at the end of regulation and in OT. I really don’t understand what’s happened to this team though. I think they are talented and deep so, maybe it does fall on Brownell. I hate saying that because I’ve honestly sang his praises over the years.

Jan 31, 2021, 9:52 AM

Unless he is putting a lot of pressure on the players - causing them to stress out and/or tighten up - I don’t think I can put all this on Brownell.

(Full Disclosure: I was a ‘late bloomer’ and never got to play a lot of ‘organized sports’; however I spent a LOT of time playing in military, industrial, rec and church leagues - and spent most of my free time in gyms and on outdoor courts. My old and bad knees and hips are constant reminders of JUST how much time I spent on hardwood/concrete .... sigh! )

I was a pretty good shooter - but not when I pressed or stressed on shooting. Confidence was big. I have to believe college athletes today are much better shooters than me. So to shoot like our guys are shooting - I think it is all on them and their confidence. I’ve seen a lot of missed ‘open look’ shots during this losing streak. Perhaps Brownell is causing that stress. But I don’t see him acting that way courtside.

I worked hard at playing defense. And barring a good pick or screen, and the always real possibility that your guy was quicker, faster or occasionally caught you off guard, ‘my’ guy USUALLY didn’t get a lot of wide open or easy looks/shots. I see our opponents getting a lot of open looks. Sometimes it’s good ball movement, as it’s our defensive scheme, whether it’s doubling up on the inside, helping, or we’re in a zone - but I’m seeing our guys NOT playing tight defense and the other team getting open (‘easy’?) looks.

Lastly, I’m seeing HORRIBLE ball ‘protection’. Careless, lazy, sloppy passing especially.

Back to the fact these are guys good enough to be on a Division I college team: then I HAVE TO BELIEVE these players are MUCH BETTER ATHLETES than what I am seeing in their performances the past five games.

Bottom Line: I think we’re a better team than what we’ve shown the past five games; but I put it more on the players than the coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 31, 2021, 9:57 AM

We do have a pretty good team but coaching is not there I would not be surprised we play you well that is our MO Lose to the worst beat the best ??Mack is really bringing that football around good luck

Jan 31, 2021, 10:30 AM

Do you think your players can read?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,684
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic