Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Clemson Brand....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,162

The Clemson Brand....

Mar 24, 2019, 8:56 PM

will never be stronger. This is the right time to make a change. If we are ever going to start a surge in BB recruiting it’s now, with the new facilities and all.

We need a clean slate upon which to sell the program. A 10year run of MEH isn’t exciting to fans or players. Just can’t spin it any other way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's "brand" from recent football success doesn't help

Mar 24, 2019, 9:03 PM

our basketball program. In fact, it probably hurts it.

Basketball players don't want to go to a school that prioritizes football to a fault, to the point that basketball is marginalized. Whether or not that's true, the more we pat ourselves on the back about being a "football school" to the exclusion of basketball, the harder we make it on ourselves to be successful at basketball.

I am not saying that we shouldn't be very proud of our football accomplishments, but we must be careful to make sure it doesn't come across like basketball doesn't matter. Unless it truly doesn't, of course.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Clemson's "brand" from recent football success doesn't help

Mar 24, 2019, 9:13 PM

Florida State and Virginia Tech are football schools with less attractive basketball facilities than Clemson. Yet, they have better basketball programs.

There is no false choice to be made here. Clemson can be great in both. We just need a coach with the vision, recruiting prowess, player development skills, in-game coaching skills, and ability to instill the “it factor” in his players.

Sadly, Clemson does not currently have that coach.

Mar 25, 2019, 8:32 AM

Two teams with losing record this year and a fanbase that thinks both football programs are going to sink further. FSU might be in the single worse collapse of a program since Nebraska and VaTech will not fire a D coordinator that is completely lost against the RPO.

Still, both FSU and VaTech have "only" done what we did last year, and by the looks of it will be only as good or worse next year. It isn't like both have "built" a program but I will say that Hamilton is always over performing at FSU and is a darn good coach.

Both VaTech and FSU have some good facilities.

Mar 24, 2019, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Clemson's "brand" from recent football success doesn't help ]

Dude, please.

Football success doesn’t harm basketball. More money will not equal success. There are coaches that do much more with much less. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you don't have a problem with Frank Howard

Mar 25, 2019, 11:12 AM

deciding many years ago to basically neglect basketball to try to improve Clemson's football program? You don't think that set our program back significantly, effects of which we still feel today?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: So you don't have a problem with Frank Howard

Mar 25, 2019, 1:10 PM

I think you're stretching a bit with that comment. With the recent upgrades to Littlejohn, it wouldn't take much to up the basketball spending, dedicate 3-4 mil on a top notch coach and expect that guy to bring us up.

What was decided 50+ years ago has no bearing on moving forward with basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2019, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Clemson's "brand" from recent football success doesn't help ]

I have to respectfully disagree. As stated above, multiple examples of schools that are good-great in both. Florida has championships in all the major sports. Has good wimens programs and golf tennis etc.

Making the nit should be a slam to a school like Clemson. NIT should be a rebuilding season, not regarded as good.

I’m disappointed when every sport is NOT playing for a championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not saying we can't be great at both.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:15 AM

In fact, I believe that we can be, and should strive to be. But as you stated, examples of that are rare, and athletic departments must be careful that they prioritize both sports, not just one at the exclusion of the other. Unfortunately, that is what has happened at Clemson for most of our history.

I don't know the answer from a marketing perspective, but the messaging is very important. Yes, we love football at Clemson, we are very proud of our program and its amazing accomplishments recently, but we can't let that cause prospective recruits to believe that Clemson neglects basketball as a result.

Excuses

Mar 24, 2019, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Clemson's "brand" from recent football success doesn't help ]

That's another BS excuse that some of our fans are buying into.

I remember when Barnes said that he used Clemson's love of football to help get the fans excited about basketball, and it worked for him.

I've been a Brownell supporter from the beginning, but it's time to give someone else a chance.

I remember hearing these same excuses as to why Clemson shouldn't fire Bowden.

More importantly, I think we send a stronger message to recruits and the fans if our administration refuses to make a change after almost a decade of mediocrity under the same leadership. To me, that's a stronger message. I'm not saying that we should keep changing coaches, not at all.

I believe alabama parted ways with their coach after 4 years.

So I think Brownell needs to leave now.

It's not an excuse at all.

Mar 25, 2019, 11:20 AM

The bottom line is that many fans go to football games for the experience. Maybe they grew up going to Clemson football games and there is some nostalgia there. Perhaps they go because they enjoy the social aspect of tailgating, spending time with family and friends, etc. Or maybe they truly love the game of football.

Regardless, it's not an easy sell to get those people to want to support basketball. If basketball only occurred once a week, with 6-7 home games per year, and was associated with tailgating and the social aspect, we could probably get way more people to attend basketball. But basketball has a lot more games, many on weeknights. Fans just aren't as into basketball, and I partly get it when compared to football.

Heck, we got 50,000 people to show up to the national championship parade in January of this year, but couldn't even get 1/5th of those people to attend the basketball game immediately following - against top 5 Virginia, in an early season ACC game, on the heels of a Sweet 16 appearance last year and lots of potential this season. That's a huge problem. Blame Brownell or his style of play all you want, but to me, that is just a lousy excuse.

Barnes got fans to show up when our football team stunk. Purnell got our fans to show up when our football team stunk. And they also didn't have to compete with more distractions now than ever, including all of the games available on TV in HD, social media, and many other potential outlets people have these days compared to 10-20 years ago.

Just a thought . . .

Mar 24, 2019, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Clemson's "brand" from recent football success doesn't help ]

"I am not saying that we shouldn't be very proud of our football accomplishments, but we must be careful to make sure it doesn't come across like basketball doesn't matter. Unless it truly doesn't, of course."

If basketball truly doesn't matter . . . we continue doing what we've been doing . . . and expect different results.

Re: Just a thought . . .

Mar 24, 2019, 9:51 PM

Skeet, Right now I’m watching Rocky III. I’ve got fire in my Belly!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the change should've been made when new facilities opened ***

Mar 24, 2019, 9:31 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Clemson Brand....

Mar 25, 2019, 8:15 AM

The pride we have with our successful football program is not to the exclusion of our support of the other sports programs. In fact, it should serve as a magnet for our other programs. Granted, football is probably the favorite sport of most Tiger fans and some fans have little interest in our so-called minor sports, but we do take pride in the success of all sports.

Many top rated prospects tend to migrate to those schools with winning records. Our current success on the football field can be attributed to the level of recruiting we are now witnessing. A struggling program needs the infusion of talent and the best way to obtain that talent is to have an excellent recruiter and a coach who can develop that talent. Recruiting requires a "salesman" who can present the "here is what we have" and "here is what we want to do".

The "here is what we have" includes our facilities, our academics, the success of our other athletic programs and a host of other positives.

And, it's now time to go to work. Seeya.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Clemson Brand....

Mar 25, 2019, 12:13 PM

For all of those complaining about the "brand"....

Where were y'all on Sunday? Because I have never seen DV 1/2 empty unless it is that weird rain/storm issue like BC a few years ago.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,162
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic