Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So who is nervous out there?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

So who is nervous out there?

Sep 16, 2018, 7:26 AM

Serious post.

I and maybe one or two other Clemson fans started the season with the expectation that our defense would be unbelievable, unmatched and overwhelming. I and maybe a few thought the offense would be world-beaters, smooth, and a juggernaut.

There were questions:
- secondary - but the amazing front seven would make secondary almost irrelevant.
- QB situation - which one would lead us to 12-0, 13-0, 14-0, and 15-0

So what is your take after three games?

Anyone nervous about the season and NOT winning a national championship?
This was/is to be the season where all parts align perfectly: deep, experienced Defense + crazy deep offense with two very good QBs + powerful kicking game/special teams.

How do you think we look?
Are preseason expectations lowered or tempered?
Are we really #2 team out there?

How good is the D really?
How good is our Oline?

Just curious because I am not seeing all that I expected at the beginning of the season. I see a good team, but not a great one... yet.

Bama at Ole Miss was impressive. And that makes my skin crawl to type that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So who is nervous out there?

Sep 16, 2018, 7:37 AM

Short answer, no.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same thing every year. People have been worried just

Sep 16, 2018, 7:42 AM

Like this every year. We struggled against Troy. We barely beat Auburn. Yes I thought our d would be a little crisper than it is by now. By there are big differences in how Dabo runs a program. He doesn’t leave his starting players until we are up by 50. He plays more people than almost any other team trying to build depth. We are 3-0 and may very likely be 12-0. Dabos teams are also works in progress each year getting better as the year progresses. In our championship year, Deshaun threw a good bit of ints. I know it was a very minor minority. But would you believe there were people on here scared and folks actually said bench Deshaun? Yes I thought this year we’d be a little crisper. But it seems like watching the same show year after year and we still end up making it to the playoffs. We do need to be a lot better come December than we are now but I believe we will be.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Same thing every year. People have been worried just

Sep 16, 2018, 7:48 AM

Do you have any proof about comparing dabo to other coaches?

I can find playing time stats, just box scores. Bama played 6 rbs with more than 4 carries. Def had 25-30 players with tackles. But unless we know when in the game they played it's a moot point.

nope I don’t have the stats. I will say that saban played a good bit

Sep 16, 2018, 7:53 AM

Of rbs and went to his third qb last night. And without stats to prove it I just think Dabo does it earlier. Instead of waiting til the game is way out of hand he gets them some meaningful snaps while there is still some competitiveness to the game. Sorry too lazy to look up those stats bc I guess I’d have to pull player minutes from each game and compare to other teams like Alabama, osu, etc. either way, no I’m not worried

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Re: nope I don’t have the stats. I will say that saban played a good bit

Sep 16, 2018, 8:16 AM

If you find them send it my way. There has to a reason for our anecdotal comments about dabo vs other coaches and comparison to scores.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:16 AM

Watch the games, it is pretty clear who rotates players the most and the earliest.

In fact, it has kinda irritated me in the past but after thinking about it, Dabo knows exactly what he is doing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 9:35 AM

Ha I do but I can't keep track of the stuff during a game. I'm asking for post game analysis. I think tnet has a post every once in a while showing playtime stats but it's meaningless if it's just total time.

Short answer here

Sep 16, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Same thing every year. People have been worried just ]

and I’m not going to look up a stat that probably no one has created anyway. Comparing us to Bama rotating players is one thing but I can say without a doubt that Clemson roatates players almost more if not more than anyone in the country the last two years. All you have to do is watch some football to see that. Dabo doesn’t play for style points. Never has.

Re: Short answer here

Sep 16, 2018, 9:37 AM

As I said earlier, sure I can watch the games but I'm not going to be able to track that in real time.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Same thing every year. People have been worried just ]

Georgia Southern’s defense may very well be better than Ole Miss. Ole Miss gave up 649 yards (!) to Southern Illinois last week, so the fact Bama ran up the score really isn’t a surprise

Sep 16, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Same thing every year. People have been worried just ]

Couldnt agree more. 2016 I thought our offense in games 1-The pitt loss was aweful.

Sep 16, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Same thing every year. People have been worried just ]

Preach on Lovingit. This guy gets it.

Sep 16, 2018, 7:50 AM

585 yards of total offense
309 rushing yards
276 passing yards
Defense held them to 113 total yards
ETN rushed for 162 yards

So, No!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 10:03 AM

Come on man! We played GA Southern that had 4+ starters not playing. How did we do against a much better opponent, such as TAMU?

Yes we won, but "were you nervous"?

Nah, no one was nervous, right? ?? ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 10:13 AM

Great teams win those kind of games. Was I on edge? Ofcourse. Was I nervous? Not so much.

Sep 16, 2018, 7:59 AM

After three games, I am concerned with only two teams, both out of our favorite conference we love to hate; The SEC!
Personally, I don't think we are the 2nd best team in the country, at least right now.
But you asked what I thought after three games.
I think we are a good "3" fit, but I don't see us beating either Bama or the"Dawgs" if we played them tomorrow.
Both those teams,imo, are just too physical, especially on the "O" line.
Both have explosive offenses, that, again just my opinion, seem to get off to a quick start while we have started slowly in each of our first 3 games.
And both have as equally talented quarterbacks as we do. Nothing against either Kelly or Trevor, but neither has done anything special to warrant being named the permanent starter, not yet anyway.
You ask which one could lead us to a 12-0 or 15-0 start, I think both can lead us to an ACC Championship, but I also think our schedule is favorable to at least run the regular season and the ACCCG!
The Playoffs are a different matter, all together.
In regard to our defense, I think we have the best"D" line in the country, but we seemed to struggle in the secondary against "aTm".
Maybe we just didn't prepare properly for the play of their quarterback.
So what are my expectations?
I follow the Dabo rule; the only game you need to concern yourself with is the game your playing at the time( or the next once that game is concluded).
There is no need to look ahead to any game past Ga. Tech until that game is in "the books".

Re: This exactly

Sep 16, 2018, 8:03 AM

Agree completely lefty.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This exactly

Sep 16, 2018, 8:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with what you said too. But I haven’t watched Georgia enough to

Sep 16, 2018, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: So who is nervous out there? ]

Have opinion on them. Alabama would beat us if we played tomorrow. But I truly believe that we will be a different team by December and will give them a run for their money.

Re: I agree with what you said too. But I haven’t watched Georgia enough to

Sep 16, 2018, 8:18 AM

We will know much more about Bama next week. They have played nobody. I'm not saying we will beat UL like they did nor would we beat ole Miss as bad but that isn't our style. Bama has a great D but they have also played teams where they are better at every position tho ole miss has some solid WRs. Texas A&M actually has the talent to test them.

In Tuscaloosa aTm loses by 30

Sep 16, 2018, 9:13 AM

Don't forget the shear luck of so many of the passes they completed against us. Not going to happen this Saturday

Re: In Tuscaloosa aTm loses by 30

Sep 16, 2018, 10:16 AM

I don't think A&M wins but I don't think they lose by 50+ like Bama has been beating teams. I think Bama probably wins 35-21 or something along those lines but they may win by 30 idk. Either way Bama is a well oiled machine that runs over teams with less talent. We have the talent to match up with them tho so I'm not too worried. Our OL needs to keep improving but our D will keep us in the game no matter what imo

Sep 16, 2018, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: So who is nervous out there? ]

1. I don't think anyone here is complaining about being 3-0 and winning games.
2. The goal, or expectation, right or wrong, is to win another CFP NC.
3. So maybe the question should be "Are you worried that we might not be capable of winning it all?"

Me? Yes, as it stands right now. We just might go 12-0 but I think right now Bama is a much better team (Tua vs. our secondary!?) and a few others shouldn't be discounted either.

I'm not being negative, just what I see right now.

Go Tigers!!

IRONCAT68 is, that’s for sure.***

Sep 16, 2018, 8:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 16, 2018, 8:05 AM

Legitimate concerns. However, these last few years have taught me to trust this coaching staff. Right now we might be the 4th best team in the country. But we have all year to figure that out. Only game that matters is Georgia Tech. Can’t play Bama, Georgia or Ohio State if we don’t do that. All In. Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 8:07 AM

Willie Taggart?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was good***

Sep 16, 2018, 8:15 AM

I'll be nervous when we play Alabama again

Sep 16, 2018, 8:09 AM

Otherwise, no.

Bama looks like the clear #1 right now

Sep 16, 2018, 8:15 AM

The rest (including us) are not close. Their weak link secondary is better than ours too.

Tua looks unstoppable. So good.

Sep 16, 2018, 8:16 AM

With the elite talent no worry but O is below potential.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So who is nervous out there? Just beat GT

Sep 16, 2018, 8:18 AM

then we can worry about winning the next one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 8:30 AM

I'm still a bit nervous about my basement and this last ten hours of rain.

About football, no.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:31 AM

Real problems!

I'm not nervous or scared....

Sep 16, 2018, 8:44 AM

Why should I be? I have no control over what happens. I'm just along for the ride. We have the ingredients to win it all. Whether it happens or not is up to the players and coaches. So enjoy. And Get Off My Lawn! Or??

Not yet

Sep 16, 2018, 8:56 AM

Bama looks great, but we looked unbeatable early last year and Bama looked very beatable.

I like how we are using both QBs and I think it will pay off down the line. I do think we could be scoring more right now if we just played 1 but the coaches don't seem to be worried about scoring 50 a game so I'm not either.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:09 AM

I think our secondary can improve....but I noticed how flat our offensive line, as a group, was at the Furman game. Then Texas a&m..well maybe they were just that good or maybe not, but we had issues with ga southern also...I guess what I am saying is 3 games is a trend...and that when and if we make to the playoffs or better competition...we will likely put ourselves in position to lose not being able to control the offensive line of scrimmage. Just layman’s observations. Hopefully we tighten up.

i agree we aren’t the #2 team, but...

Sep 16, 2018, 9:18 AM

that’s because the poles don’t come out for another month.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:34 AM

I am not nervous, because it is just a sport in the scheme of real issues of life. That said, I don't think we have played well generally and I am not sure we will live up to our potential this year. We have the potential to be great though. Time will tell. We shall see.

Sep 16, 2018, 9:54 AM

I think the Tigers do just enough to win some games. Rarely do you see Clemson go out and play sixty minutes of hard, solid football. With the recruiting success that the Tigers have had I believe the coaches feel as if they owe it to the players to get them in the game. I really can’t argue with that. Some teams just seem to go all out on every snap and I don’t see the Tigers playing that solid. Taking a few plays off, especially if you have a good lead, is to be expected but I’d prefer that they didn’t! The Tigers play up to the competition. They have done this for a long time. I was very disappointed in the team I saw on the field in New Orleans. Let’s not play that poorly again!

I waited to answer....

Sep 16, 2018, 9:36 AM

after I watched again. Yes, I am a little nervous.

I think the offense is having a difficult time getting in a rhythm, and that our defense, despite the DL, is struggling a bit as well. Both of these can be solved with additional games played, but we have Syracuse coming up and I see them trying to take advantage of the quick pass plays against secondary. I think BC could try the same. With our schedule, I'm concerned that a loss like that might hurt us in the CFP rankings.

Once we make it past those games (with wins), we should be goo to go and have time for improvement to the playoffs. I do think we have to get significantly better by then to progress there, though.

Go Tigers!

Our offense will be out of rhythm...

Sep 16, 2018, 9:49 AM

Until we pick a qb... rhythm is a real thing.. I'm ready for backups to take over the OL as I think it's the weak link on our team. I'm worried that by all reports our O was killing our D in fall camp. Really? That makes me worry..But my credentials are being an avg player on a bad high school team 25 years ago, lol.

Re: Our offense will be out of rhythm...

Sep 16, 2018, 10:09 AM

Is that you, Al Bundy?

Sep 16, 2018, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Our offense will be out of rhythm... ]

If we lose this year it would likely be against BC and maybe keep us out of the CFP. Our D line and linebackers are solid. Not as sure about the secondary. If we face Bama or the Dawgs and TL plays the majority of the playoff game, we have a shot. Both teams will score on us. If it's KB, we won't score enough to win. This isn't a shot at KB, but the plays called will be too conservative to score quickly and come back.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Our offense will be out of rhythm... ]

"They" always say that it takes an offense longer to gel and get going on a season than it does a defense. That's what I heard all weekend last week watching the NFL pundits talk.

I think we are a top 5 team right now.

Sep 16, 2018, 10:24 AM

I believe that we will win our division and our conference. I am also confident that we will make the playoffs again.

The concern for me is our ability to beat a really good playoff team like Alabama or Georgia. At this point, they seem like better, more disciplined, more explosive teams. But it’s also really early in the season, and there is no way to accurately gauge how we compare.

I think a lot of people’s concerns surrounding our Tigers are based on how we compare to these schools. We experienced a false sense of security last year, in that we entered the playoffs as the #1 seed but were clearly not the best team. Alabama dominated us.

Alabama looks great this year, and even more talented and dynamic than last year. I think a lot of our fans are basing their concerns now on how they perceive our team relative to Alabama. That is tough to do at this point in the season, but it is understandable.

My biggest concern is with our offense, and our ability to consistently spread the ball around to our playmakers. If we keep being stubborn with the RPO, and doing a lot of QB runs, we aren’t winning a national championship this season. Not a chance. We need to be a pass first offense, with plenty of carries for our running backs mixed in. A lot of this obviously hinges on our offensive line and how well they play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic