Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scalpers on TNET
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Scalpers on TNET

Aug 27, 2019, 8:17 AM

The scalping on TigerNet is out of hand. It would be nice if there weren’t Clemson Fans/Alumni attempting to profit off each-other, especially for home games!

Some bleed orange, some bleed green.

SMH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So do you consider ticket value +

Aug 27, 2019, 8:28 AM

Seat contribution scalping?

where does their prime parking spot factor into my tix cost?

Aug 27, 2019, 8:46 AM

Are they subtracting that or am I covering the cost for them to park close?

So are you suggesting that someone who sells their

Aug 27, 2019, 8:29 AM

tickets for more than face value does not bleed orange and thus is not a real Clemson fan?

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. You see, the real and true Clemson fans are those that attended school at Clemson... ie, alums. Those who did not attend Clemson (non-alums) are still fans, they just aren't the real and true fans.

But to take this a step further, both alums and non-alums can sell their tickets for as much as they dang well please. Those season tickets are expensive to purchase when you factor in the IPTAY donation.

For example, someone who donates $10,000 to IPTAY and buys 4 season tickets has a per game, per ticket cost of ~$432 +/-. Someone who donates $5,000 to IPTAY and buys 2 season tickets pays the same price per game per ticket.

So please, tell us more about how it hurts your feelings that people sell their tickets for more than face value while preaching about orange vs green blood...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The IPTAY part is donation ... out of love for your school

Aug 27, 2019, 8:33 AM

You're supposed to eat that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let’s Get Precise on Math Here

Aug 27, 2019, 9:04 AM

First off, since one cannot buy season tix w/o an IPTAY lump sum contribution, we must count that to ticket price . However we must cost adjust that contribution for the tax benefit we receive for that donation. So that ballpark $430 per ticket is more likely a real $275 - $325.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No more tax deduction fyi...******

Aug 27, 2019, 9:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

almost exact same tix you are selling to GT are bit cheaper

Aug 27, 2019, 12:26 PM

on stubhub.

may want to re-write your ad....
https://www.stubhub.com/clemson-tigers-football-tickets-clemson-tigers-football-clemson-clemson-memorial-stadium-8-29-2019/event/104017449/?sort=price+asc&sid=82571

Re: Let’s Get Precise on Math Here

Aug 27, 2019, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Let’s Get Precise on Math Here ]

You best get an accountant and stop filing your own taxes.....

I agree with clem ...and disagree with everything

Aug 27, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Let’s Get Precise on Math Here ]

You and gw posted.

You're iptay donation is a DONATION...iptay offers you tickets as an incentive...like the Leonard Cohen DVDs you get for donating to PBS.

Your ticket and pass are yours.

You have an item you want to sell... some 1 wants to buy. You don't have to itemize or justify the price.

If the two can't agree... move on. Do you guys watch American pickers?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

real and true fans would know that already***

Aug 27, 2019, 11:35 AM [ in reply to The IPTAY part is donation ... out of love for your school ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are forgetting one key factor

Aug 27, 2019, 9:22 AM [ in reply to So are you suggesting that someone who sells their ]

That Heisman donor that pays $10,500 can purchase up to 14 tickets.

That’s $750 per ticket.

The minimum seat donation is $800 in the prime seating location based on the IPTAY stadium map.

If someone is donating $10,500 and only buying 4 seats they are doing it wrong.

My guess is that they are buying the max seats, using most for friends and family and then selling the others to offset the donation.

Maybe they're

Aug 27, 2019, 10:04 AM

Selling their other ten tickets...at a premium? ;) They didn't get Heisman level via stupidity!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a bad guess... but it is possible... even

Aug 27, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to You are forgetting one key factor ]

Though it seems strange... that people donate just to help clemson.

I went through about a 4 year stint where I donated to iptay but didn't get season tickets.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

i've also donated but not bought tix

Aug 27, 2019, 11:41 AM

https://www.stubhub.com/clemson-tigers-football-tickets-clemson-tigers-football-clemson-clemson-memorial-stadium-8-28-2019/event/104017446/?sort=price+asc&sid=82550

this is the type i am talking about.

Re: So are you suggesting that someone who sells their

Aug 27, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to So are you suggesting that someone who sells their ]

What about someone who donates $10,000 and gets 6 tickets? Should they offer them to me at less than $432???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're missing the point

Aug 27, 2019, 11:26 AM

And it would still cost them ~$315 per ticket per game.

The point is people can charge whatever they want for their tickets. As a consumer you can make the choice whether you want to buy tickets from that person or not.

Also, as a consumer, you have the opportunity to purchase tickets directly from IPTAY and not go through a secondary market.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Lets be real here, some tickets are worth much more than

Aug 27, 2019, 9:30 AM

face value. For many of the good seats, the contributions made to IPTAY for the right to purchase those season tickets far outweigh the actual ticket prices. What's a $60 ticket really worth if the owner of that ticket is donating 10 grand a year to buy 7 game tickets?

Obviously the resale value of that ticket isn't going to $1500, but it's certainly more than face value.

Re: Scalpers on TNET

Aug 27, 2019, 9:30 AM

I would submit that whatever they charge it is never enough to actually cover the real costs of buying that ticket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop being wrong. The issue is the people willing to pay it***

Aug 27, 2019, 9:32 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 9:34 AM

There are one or two of these every season when a "big"/high demand games rolls around... But yet they aren't anywhere to be found a week before the UNC Charlotte type game THANKING the board when tickets are being practically given away for next to nothing in the hundreds.. Reality check/Economics lesson for you... It is not any Clemson fan or season ticket holders duty to provide you the opportunity to buy great seats at a great price to the biggest home game of the year.. And yes,, I'm counting the $125 face value of the A&M game as a great price.. As others have mentioned... there is a lot more that goes cash outside of the $125 printed on the front that goes into acquiring that said seat for that game.. No matter how you slice it... whether you contribute to IPTAY and buy your own season tickets.. or buy from the secondary market,, you will not be... IN MOST CASES.. paying whats on the front of the ticket.. Whether it be by your own donation or covering the cost of someone else's..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 9:55 PM

Are you also complaining that GT tickets are going for about half of face value? Its amazing how economically illiterate some people are.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

^^^ Loves Bernie Sanders

Aug 27, 2019, 9:37 AM

;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And awaaaaaaaay we go

Aug 27, 2019, 9:38 AM

I've been on both sides of this argument. If you think season ticket holders are greedy because they're attempting to recoup the extremely high costs of purchasing season tickets, you are frankly naive. I bet you'd be happy to purchase a ticket for UNDER face value, yes?

Tickets sell for what the market is willing to pay.

Aug 27, 2019, 9:39 AM

The IPTAY contribution is a gift and at least partly tax deductible. It also allows the person to park close and sit in the same seat year over year. There are other perks associated with being an IPTAY member. A person buying a single game ticket enjoys none of these benefits so they should not be expected to pay for them so anything over face is the definition of scalping. While the owner of the ticket can ask anything they want for the ticket they should not be offended when they are labeled a scalper

Again, NO MORE tax deduction...law changed with new tax cut****

Aug 27, 2019, 9:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not even sure where to start with this

Aug 29, 2019, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Scalpers on TNET ]

1. As relates to season tickets and parking passes, The IPTAY contribution is not a gift. It is an entry fee. It is a required contribution to be eligible to purchase football tickets.

2. IPTAY contributions are no longer tax deductible in any amount.

3. Define "park close". I bet you all those folks who are in the lots in Seneca don't think they're parking close. My parking space is a solid 15-minute walk from the stadium.

4. If you want to purchase my season ticket, then you're going to pay its market value. If you want a single game non-season ticket, you're welcome to take your chances purchasing single game tickets from Clemson at face value. I don't want to hear you complain that you're in the corner of the upper deck.

5. Your "definition" of scalping is legally incorrect.

6. I can only assume that you are morally opposed to purchasing tickets below face value or receiving them for free. I'll be in touch when I put my Charlotte and Wofford tickets up for sale. I can't wait to receive actual face value for those tickets.

Aug 27, 2019, 9:50 AM

Not gonna lie, I find it comical that somebody is trying to get $300 per ticket right now on the ticket board when there are so many tickets available on the secondary market.

Living in Florida for 13 years meant only occasional trips to Death Valley for games, and I have paid both well over and well under face value for tickets over the years. When I have paid over, it has been worth it. When I have paid under, I have been happy. But ticket sellers who seem to think a GT ticket is equivalent to, say, and A&M ticket just crack me up.

Aug 27, 2019, 10:53 AM

If the game was on say a Saturday, they would be worth more for a GT game.

There's a simple way to fix it.

Aug 27, 2019, 9:56 AM

Get your own season tickets

If I did that I’d be a part of the problem and not the solution

Aug 27, 2019, 11:34 AM

I can only make 1 game a year. I donate, but tix and then sell them at a premium to recoup my money since I don’t wanna pay $10000 for one game.

Aug 27, 2019, 10:09 AM

i go to clemson games because i love clemson. i am not an alum but several in my family are. i have been going to clemson games since 1963. i will challenge anyone to question my love for clemson. that being said the people that buy tickets just to resell them at a huge profit to fellow clemson fans are the lowest form of life. if something comes up and you are not able to attend there is no problem selling them for a small profit. but gouging fellow clemson fans is just not right. and even worse is getting to your seat and a fan from the other school sitting next to you. jmo of course but there are many real clemson fans that would love to go to a couple of games a year but just can not afford it, then find out that other so called clemson fans are asking 2 and 3 times face for their tickets. just not right.

Aug 27, 2019, 10:23 AM

Pretty on-point post, I'd say. How would the "justifiers" on this board support the individual who is selling 83 tickets to the Texas A&M game, alone, at way above face value? Is HE a true fan?

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 10:28 AM

maybe a better question is why was he allowed to get that many tickets. no one needs that many unless you are in it just to gouge people.

So you think people who buy tickets to football games

Aug 27, 2019, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Scalpers on TNET ]

and re-sell them for above face value are a lower form of life than people who commit murder, child molestation, animal cruelty, etc? Your priorities are way out of whack deroberts

those people can be rehabilitated...The scalpers? Not so

Aug 27, 2019, 11:38 AM

much

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2019, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Scalpers on TNET ]

"if something comes up and you are not able to attend there is no problem selling them for a small profit. but gouging fellow clemson fans is just not right."

What if somebody offers me way more money than I was planning to ask for the seat? Or, what if I make known that I'm selling my tickets, and several people bid the price up way above what I thought I might get? Who's setting the price in that situation? It's not me. As others have noted in this thread, it's the market. I'm not cheating anyone if I sell at that price.

Undoubtedly every Clemson-alum/fan business owner is trying to get the highest price possible for whatever it is he/she has to sell. Should he give away his merchandise to Clemson fans at cost or at a "small profit"? How long would he stay in business?

This is all about supply and demand. When a good, like tickets, are in short supply relative to the demand for those tickets, the price goes up. More power to anybody who is able to capitalize on the opportunity. If I'm a buyer, its up to me whether I want to pay the price or not. My decision. Nobody's denying me any rights.

"Scalping" is a phantom offense.

Been going to most games for 40+ years, season tickets never

Aug 27, 2019, 10:27 AM

made economic sense for me, based on economics, geography and other factors. I have paid as much as $200 for a ticket, and have been given them free many times over that time period. Generally, I never have trouble buying tickets on game day at or near face value, but on those rare occasions when tickets are scarce and/or irrationally high priced, I choose not to buy them, and either stay at the tailgate or find somewhere else to go watch it.

I have made a conscious decision not to invest in season tickets, just as others have made a decision to invest. I don't begrudge them for trying to recoup their investment, however they calculate it, and I shouldn't be criticized for WANTING to buy tickets at or below face value. When season tickets holders are not able to use all of their seats, they can price them for sale at their own risk. As the buyer, I always have the choice to buy or not buy.

Life is about choices. The goal is for you to enter into a transaction and both parties walk away satisfied with the result.

Buy Season tickets or #### off with the complaining.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:00 AM

Ridiculous. You pay what the market asks you to pay or buy your own #### season tickets. Or you watch the game on TV.

A lot of people list their tickets because that's the price they are willing to take to not attend the game and watch it on TV instead, if you aren't willing to pay it then shut your mouth and watch it on your own TV.

That being said, I NEVER sell my tickets, If I can't go then my tickets go to my family for free. I have no problem with anybody that does and more power to them.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:13 AM

I've always used an economic factor in anything I purchase. If I believe if the value received is not worth it, then I don't buy it. "Value received" is our personal option and there is a wide difference among us. If those with tickets for sale do not sell for their current asking price, guess what will happen? The old market forces come into play --- reduce the price until there is a market. That's why the price of a ticket outside the stadium just after the kickoff can be bought at a huge discount.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Scalping" is by definition selling at an inflated price.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:20 AM

So, how can it "get out of hand?" It either is, or it isn't, kind of like being "a little bit pregnant."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A little bit prego is having 1 kid..outta hand

Aug 27, 2019, 11:24 AM

Prego is having 6.

Re: A little bit prego is having 1 kid..outta hand

Aug 27, 2019, 11:39 AM

I think that would be more Outta Mind! At least for the parents. Although, due to the novelty, they would probably get some fame and monetary help. Could you imagine having to pay six college tuitions all the way through all at the same time?

so this person just happened upon great seats and then

Aug 27, 2019, 11:40 AM

magically couldn't go, sells these and it just so happens to be a hair under $10k right around that heisman donor level. met thinks somebody is trying to offload the cost of the IPTAY donation by buying more tix than they need.

https://www.stubhub.com/clemson-tigers-football-tickets-clemson-tigers-football-clemson-clemson-memorial-stadium-8-28-2019/event/104017446/?sort=price+asc&sid=82550

buy them or don't, just quit complaining like a little girl.

Aug 27, 2019, 11:45 AM

Wow.

I'm not buying them

Aug 27, 2019, 11:59 AM

I know people with season tix that are pretty cool about selling them to me for face. Because I can only make it for one game a season and I pick a low demand game that should be a nooner so I can take my kids based on nap schedules.

I'm not even really complaining about it, rather just pointing out what OP is saying.

Some people don't seem to be buying without any intention to even use them. To each their own, but that's pretty much scalping in my book.

It's especially obvious when you peruse the ticket sales section of t-net and see the exact same tix and parking passes being sold all season long.

What's the last purchase you made with no intention of actually using?

Aug 27, 2019, 11:45 AM

Perhaps you should reach deep in your pocket, donate to IPTAY for the right to buy season tickets, and then buy season tickets. Some of us have been doing it for 25+ years. We've paid the price to build a national championship program from our contributions. So if you want to see a game, you'll pay the price for the tickets they request or watch it at home.

do you personally use all of the season tix you purchase?***

Aug 27, 2019, 12:00 PM

Re: do you personally use all of the season tix you purchase?***

Aug 27, 2019, 12:28 PM

It depends. I was deployed overseas last year. I wasn't able to attend a game. So yeah, I sold MY tickets.

I have event's this season which will prevent me from attending the game. I intend to sell MY tickets.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic