Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sirius ?, comparing Pittsburgh 2016 to this season . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,617

Sirius ?, comparing Pittsburgh 2016 to this season . . .

Dec 15, 2018, 8:42 AM

There may be no comparison but here’s my thought process. In 2016, Pittsburgh hung 43 pts on what we would say was a stout defense. They used the shuffle pass or whatever you want to call it to eat up the field. We got used that day and couldn’t make enough adjustments to overcome yet we were close. But then BV coached ‘em up and to satisfy my sense of humor it seems everyone including the chickens thought they had the key to beat us. We dared them too, they did, and we destroyed. Fast forward to this year. We are showing weakness in the secondary at times. Leaving middle of field wide open, and have had some big plays. Now for the question. Is this something BV can coach up? Can this be corrected in a few weeks? Do we have the personnel? I think we can beat anyone we play on a given day and Nd more times than not. However, I think if he has time to get them playing well back there then we could be very dominant. I’m not complaining. 13-0 and faves to win the semifinals is pretty ###### good. I also wonder with TLs performance and potential, what a few weeks with Streeter can do. I’ll never forget how good Stoudt looked after some time with him.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Emial must've got hung up 2 weeks ago***

Dec 15, 2018, 8:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

??***

Dec 15, 2018, 8:49 AM

I would say coach …

Dec 15, 2018, 9:05 AM

V did a pretty good job in 2016 correcting the problem in a short period of time. Isn’t that the year we beat Alabama for all the marbles?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. That’s exactly my point. He fixed it immediately.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:08 AM

South Carolina tried to run a shuffle pass on us at the start of the game and tackled them for a loss. That’s my point, he did it then. Can he correct the secondary now? They are two different issues I know.

Re: Sirius ?, comparing Pittsburgh 2016 to this season . . .

Dec 15, 2018, 9:30 AM

I think there is one major distinction you have to make here. However, if I was going to trust any DC in the country to be able to fix it, I would trust BV.

The major distinction in 2016 was we had the personnel to stop the shuffle pass. Our D line and linebackers were fantastic that year so it was really just a matter of people being out of position when the play was run. Once BV showed the guys the film and went over where they needed to be the play was not going to be successful ever again.

This year our secondary is definitely not our defensive strength. We have good players, but anyone that has watched our games this year realizes if we have a weakness on that side of the ball it is downfield in coverage. I absolutely know BV will go over where each person needs to be and recognitions. Hopefully this will be enough to fix the problem. My only hesitation is we are not simply making positional adjustments with absolute stud players like we were in 2016. In the end it comes down to the Jimmies and the Joes, not the X's and O's

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said. That is my hesitation. Dabo said in his interview

Dec 15, 2018, 10:02 AM

That people weren’t lining up in position and weren’t going where they were supposed to. So some of it I hope is reachable but I’m not positive all of it is. Hopefully with Nd we stop the run and make the rpo less effective. If we play bama we are going to have to score a good deal I’m afraid. At least one more point than them . . .

Re: Well said. That is my hesitation. Dabo said in his interview

Dec 15, 2018, 5:43 PM

The quality of defensive back play will be directly related to the pressure the Tigers can apply to the Irish quarterback.

It always goes back to winning the line of scrimmage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,617
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic