Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The TRUTH about Bowl Attendance and Prices
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The TRUTH about Bowl Attendance and Prices

Jan 3, 2019, 3:11 PM

I've been in the Broadcast profession for over 40 years. Here's the real deal you need to know about Live Events:

The bowls, the stadiums, the advertisers, the NCAA... none of them care how many people show up to the bowl games. Here's why:

(1) Average 30 second commercial in the NC game will cost about $700,000. There will be about 45 minutes of commercials. That's $63,000,000 in ad revenue.

(2) The average bowl attendance over the last 5 years has been 18,000. At an average stock ticket price of $300 per ticket, that's $5,400,000. Only 8% of total ad revenue.

At iHeartRadio, we produce the iHeartRadio Music Festival and the iHeartCountry Festival each year. The venue holds about 10,000 people. but our viewership is in the millions. So those tickets could be free, and we'd still go on with the show. Even if no one showed up, we'd still go on with the show.

Bigtime live sporting events are the same way. It's all about the ad revenue. Period.

Shameless Plug: You can hear the game no matter where you are on your iHeartRadio App. Keyword "Clemson Football"

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Yes, we all know that.

Jan 3, 2019, 3:21 PM

I was pretty evident when they added the 40th bowl game.

The cities are the ones taking the biggest hit. They probably spend more money hosting a game than they make on tourism due to the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The TRUTH about Bowl Attendance and Prices

Jan 3, 2019, 3:24 PM

"The average bowl attendance over the last 5 years has been 18,000."

Say what???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TuneIn app is better***

Jan 3, 2019, 3:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bwahahaha!!! Riiiight.***

Jan 3, 2019, 8:47 PM

Jan 3, 2019, 3:39 PM

Your math doesn’t add up if let’s say a 70,000 seat venue could be sold out at an average of $300 per seat versus the 18,000 average attendance you site. That’s leaving $15M on the table and nobody is going to throw away $15M for a Natty that could be held at an accessible venue.

That's average bowl attendance

Jan 3, 2019, 3:45 PM

Not just the NC. I assume that also includes the tens of people at the Bahama bowl.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

correct***

Jan 3, 2019, 3:53 PM

Re: That's average bowl attendance

Jan 4, 2019, 12:05 PM [ in reply to That's average bowl attendance ]

But all of the OP dollars were based on ad buys for the Natty versus ticket revenue of an averagely attended bowl game of 18,000 tickets at $300. Apples and oranges. Bottom line is either put the game in an accessible location and sell it out or sell tix for $50 so you can at least create a desirable live atmosphere for the TV show so you don’t have to pipe in crowd noise. That goes for all the bowls.

Re: That's average bowl attendance

Jan 4, 2019, 12:36 PM

Agreed, the ad price for a crappy Bowl game on Dec 18th would not be anywhere near the price of one during the National Championship.

GO TIGERS

bowls will never sell capacity. has never happened and won't

Jan 3, 2019, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: The TRUTH about Bowl Attendance and Prices ]

the 18,000 is average attendance... can't manipulate that number

Jan 3, 2019, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: The TRUTH about Bowl Attendance and Prices ]

True BUT the vast majority of the tickets are committed to the 2 schools so CFP games will probably all be “sold out” even if attendance is poor. The schools (or their conference) end up paying for the tickets if fans don’t buy them.
This year many fans naively bought tickets planning to resell them or thinking there would be reasonable airfare and hotel rates.
The current fan bases probably won’t make that mistake again so the schools and conferences will eat the losses in the future.
Slice and Swofford need to start complaining now - before Seattle is selected for a future CFP game.

Right, and another reason bowls don't care about attendance***

Jan 4, 2019, 11:21 AM

they already have the ticket money.... BTW, schools only have to pay for as many as they order. That's why they do the "in advance" protocol... that gives them a handle on how many they will agree to buy from the bowl... so they don't order too many more than they can sell...

Re: Right, and another reason bowls don't care about attendance***

Jan 4, 2019, 12:42 PM

RU4GOD2® said:

they already have the ticket money.... BTW, schools only have to pay for as many as they order. That's why they do the "in advance" protocol... that gives them a handle on how many they will agree to buy from the bowl... so they don't order too many more than they can sell...

While some of what you say is true, some is not. Schools are committed to buying a set amount for all bowl games. The advance is to help the schools sell and to gauge demand. Each school has 20,000 to sell for this game. Alabama did not sell thousands but still has to pay for them even if they give them to the Boys and Girls Clubs.

The average ticket price for this game face value is $575. Just in ticket sales alone, that is $42 million of revenue. They care about ticket sales a lot.

yes and no. The figure was 8,000 each school

Jan 4, 2019, 1:50 PM

which they were REQUIRED to buy (not 20,000.) With an option to buy more before the ticket "release date."

BTW, all the figures I'm quoting are from the NCAA post-report for each bowl game and NC game since 1990

Jan 3, 2019, 3:42 PM

Wow bro you're a geniuss

Jan 3, 2019, 3:56 PM

no, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I’m staying at a holiday inn express right now

Jan 3, 2019, 9:54 PM

See you at breakfast in the morning. I’ll save you some powdered eggs and dried out sausage

Could you pass along to anyone that cares

Jan 3, 2019, 9:53 PM

That your Android app is HOT FREAKING GARBAGE

Thanks in advance.

over 4 million users on Android and growing every day***

Jan 4, 2019, 11:22 AM

but the Apple users might say it's the Android users who are "hot garbage." :)

Re: over 4 million users on Android and growing every day***

Jan 4, 2019, 11:46 AM

Good info dude! ??. I don’t care what they say about u! Ha! Some people (not all) have no idea about how much garbage is stuffed in to peoples brains and how the media manipulates the public! I was informed in detail by a friend who worked at clear channel and then Disney! These network people have agendas and football is at the bottom of the list! I try not to drink the cool aid and avoid commercials! (Unless it’s beer)
Ok! I’m done! Now bring on the people that are gonna jump on me and call me an idiot! It happens every time! ??

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a good perspective that people should keep in mind.***

Jan 4, 2019, 11:26 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2019, 2:38 PM

This is why I do NOT buy anything I see on TV during a game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic