Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Request - Best Resources for History of Clemson University
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Request - Best Resources for History of Clemson University

Feb 10, 2019, 5:35 PM

Since we are in a bit of a sports lull at the moment I wanted to pose this question, is there any major book or other resource that is a good read on the history of Clemson University going through the year 2000?

I have read a lot of good stories over the past few years (and been through the historic photos posts here on Tigernet) and have gotten quite an interest in it being both a Clemson graduate (2014) and a resident of the area my whole life. Learning about things in the area such as old businesses / restaurants that people loved, old campus events, stories of past sporting events, etc. have been very interesting to me and I would love to read through more.

For example, I found a thread on here from a while ago about Charlie B's Ranch that was just over in Fairplay near where I grew up that had many big name musical acts in the 70' and I had never heard of it (see link below).

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Charlie-Bs-Ranch-Arena-10238910

I enjoy hearing from folks about everything from how academic buildings have changed and old athletic facilties to things like the Bengal Ball and the construction of the dikes when Lake Hartwell was created. If anyone has any good resources I could purchase or look into it would be appreciated!

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and before there was CharlieB 's, there was the

Feb 10, 2019, 5:46 PM

Chicken Shack.....a sort of shag music/r'n'b/mid-60's beach-type dance club (I cringe as I type that)

Place sort of defied description

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and before there was CharlieB 's, there was the

Feb 10, 2019, 5:48 PM

I recall reading about that somewhere as well, it was supposedly near the Ingles in Seneca?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Old Clemson College, It was a Hell of a Place' is an amazing

Feb 10, 2019, 6:30 PM

Amazing book of Clemson especially the military days

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 'Old Clemson College, It was a Hell of a Place' is an amazing

Feb 10, 2019, 6:36 PM

I will check that out, thanks for the tip!

Re: 'Old Clemson College, It was a Hell of a Place' is an amazing

Feb 10, 2019, 6:51 PM

There is a lot of Clemson history online. History professor Jerome V. Reel wrote a book of about 1000 pages that you can find online. All of the editions of The Tiger, yearly student catalogs, commencement programs, and Taps are found by googling them on Tiger Prints. Tiger Prints also has most of the student magazines going back to about 1900. All of the above are good sources of Clemson University history.

Re: and before there was CharlieB 's, there was the

Feb 10, 2019, 7:05 PM [ in reply to and before there was CharlieB 's, there was the ]

I remember both Charlie Bs and Chicken Shack growing up here. Out at the old Charlie Bs there was a concert there last year "Rock the Ranch". I couldn't make it but hope they're open again this year.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was, in fact an old chicken barn and it was GREAT!

Feb 10, 2019, 7:20 PM [ in reply to and before there was CharlieB 's, there was the ]

It was an abandoned chicken barn that stood where the present day Ingles building sits in Seneca today and it was one of those places that didn’t stand up too well to the light of day but was sort of magical for teens in the area for about a decade spanning the late 60s thru early 70s. The always had live music. Kids would come from about a 50 mile radius on Friday and Saturday nights. It was the type of place that appeared just “shady” enough to make you feel like you were rebelling, but safe enough and chaperoned enough that your parents didn’t worry.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dr Jerome Reel

Feb 10, 2019, 6:51 PM

Clemson professor and historian. I think he wrote some books.

Re: Request - Best Resources for History of Clemson University

Feb 10, 2019, 7:02 PM

Dr. J V Reel (Jerry) wrote the best history of Clemson in two volumes. "The High Seminary" is the title of the books, volume 1 and 2

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2019, 7:47 PM

History professor Jerome V. Reel wrote a definitive book on the history. Clemson got the name Tigers and the orange and purple from Princeton which had the top college football teams in the 1890s.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2019, 8:03 PM

The Jerome Reel books look to be exactly what I was after, I will be ordering them! Thank you to those who suggested it.

By the way Dr. Reel was one of my History profs, when

Feb 10, 2019, 8:06 PM

I was there in the late 60's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: By the way Dr. Reel was one of my History profs, when

Feb 10, 2019, 8:34 PM

never had prof. reel,but did have profs bolden and arbena.can't remember any others right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 10, 2019, 8:56 PM

This place was not on the campus, but many big names performed here.

CLEMSON’S HISTORIC BLUES NIGHT CLUB THE LITTLEJOHN’S GRILL

https://205guy.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/clemsons-historic-african-american-night-club/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2019, 7:56 AM

If I could give you more points I would, very cool read! I never knew about the Littlejohn Club and the acts that came there, and was right in Central no less. Interesting story in there about Frank Howard

LOL... darkside checking in... what do you want to know?

Feb 11, 2019, 1:37 AM

That's my post about Charlie B's. I was at all of the concerts at Clemson back in the day. Probably the most iconic was The Allman Brothers in 1971, basically a recreation of the infamous Live at the Fillmore East album that had just been released. And Duane was dead just a couple of months later, so it was a historic show, in hindsight... we just didn't realize it at the time. I have a bunch of ticket stubs from the 70's and quite a few stories to share if you're interested.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: LOL... darkside checking in... what do you want to know?

Feb 11, 2019, 7:47 AM

Dark side, I wouldn't know where to start with asking you for stories, do you have some kind of online repository or blog you have shared any?

What was the biggest change in the Clemson area from the 70's into the 2000's in your opinion? I still see signs of some of the old businesses (like Crazy Zacks) but most are going away. Heck a lot has changed honestly since I graduated 5 years ago so I can only imagine.

No question Dr. Jerry Reel***

Feb 11, 2019, 8:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic