Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reparation payments quietly started in Evanston IL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1,373

Reparation payments quietly started in Evanston IL

Mar 23, 2021, 11:54 AM

This week ...

Brace yourself South Carolina

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am sure the recipients will be grateful

Mar 23, 2021, 11:57 AM

and will not want any more money after this payment has been made

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reparation payments quietly started in Evanston IL

Mar 23, 2021, 11:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never did read up on why the latest COVID relief included

Mar 23, 2021, 12:00 PM

help for black farmers - but not white farmers. I heard McConnell call it reparations - but I had intended to discern the real story for myself...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I never did read up on why the latest COVID relief included

Mar 23, 2021, 12:05 PM

Mar 23, 2021, 12:02 PM

Cool, do people have to prove a lineage to a slave? A lot of southern whites probably qualify.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think $3 trillion in stimmilus is ample IMO

Mar 23, 2021, 12:17 PM

Or the $30 trillion in money that's been doled out without bothering to take it in with taxes.

More than enough to buy half the countries on Earth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2021, 12:41 PM

If Reparations becomes the law nationwide, the IRS better get ready to hire a lot more accountants with badges and guns 'cause the cheating on taxes is gonna be out of sight.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand how eligibility is determined

Mar 23, 2021, 12:56 PM

I mean, I'm reading what they are saying makes you eligible, I just don't know how that can possibly be executed.

Mar 23, 2021, 1:01 PM

I am not for reparations, but I would be interested in effective ways to truly level the playing field (or somehow end all racial prejudice) now. I would be willing to spend a good bit of OUR money if I thought it would actually have a significant impact.

Racial prejudice is costing our country billions and billions. If we could substantially improve that, we could be a far more productive and just nation.

Mar 23, 2021, 1:43 PM

I am so tired of the whole idea that the playing field is so tilted against people of color. I call BS on that. We have much more of an issue of class rather than race in my opinion. If you make a choice to push education for yourself and your children, opportunity is there. Most of Appalachia is essentially lily white, yet is impoverished with a high rate of drug use, out of wedlock births and a failure to even finish high school. The only option for many is to leave the area in order to achieve anything. Not a drop of racism there.

I submit if a black person educates themself the world is actually a very inviting place. Admission to highly selective colleges is easier, not harder if one is black. Admission to professional schools such as law, medicine and business is easier if one is black. Employers actively seek to hire blacks.

Asians are not white obviously and come here sharing far fewer cultural traits I would contend than either blacks or whites. As a whole, the Asian immigrants subvert their own wants to help their children obtain an education and are willing to work very hard to ensure their kids have a better chance to succeed. We have been throwing money at this problem since the 60's, yet I would argue that things are potentially worse in the black community than ever. Systemic racism was a legally supported system previously. The playing field has been substantially improved. Prejudice will never be eliminated.

In black America just as in white Appalachia, choices make a difference between staying in poverty or moving out of poverty. Taking money from white non slave owners to give to black non slaves supports the idea of white guilt and the idea that blacks can't succeed on their own without whites, which to me is subtly racist in and of itself.

Mar 23, 2021, 1:50 PM

Mar 24, 2021, 10:22 AM

T3

How do you know that I am not - and what difference does that make ?

Mar 24, 2021, 10:29 AM

Mar 23, 2021, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Reparation payments quietly started in Evanston IL ]

ron,

I don't disagree, but the overlap between poor and people of color is significant enough to make your position a distinction without a difference.

Once you add in that there is plenty of racism that still exists in this country and it becomes even harder to separate the two.

Finally, please note that I stated that I am willing to consider any idea that will be effective in eliminating these differences in treatment. So regardless of how you want to label the inequity, it is costing America - and I would like to find a way to help reduce it.

Mar 23, 2021, 4:18 PM

Mar 23, 2021, 4:31 PM

It seems to me, Evanston has created differences in treatment. Racism and discrimination will never solve racism and discrimination.

Mar 23, 2021, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Reparation payments quietly started in Evanston IL ]

Tobias27772

I am waiting, waiting and just hoping one day you might put an ounce of responsibility on black culture as one of the reasons they are where they are...

Money, houses, cars, land, scholarships, backpacks, whatever material item you can imagine can be given to any and all of them.

But, if the CULTURE does not change, nothing will change. As long as the left-wing solution is primarily "you are a victim of oppression, and we (the left) will give you stuff" to help you, then nothing will change.

You can create all the wasteful, bureaucratic programs you can imagine, and in the long run it is wasted money to make the left feel good, like they did something. When all they are doing is creating generation after generation of dependence.

Tough love is the way to go. I love my black brothers and sisters, but because I say facts and do not recite the leftwing narrative, you all call me racist. That's very far from the truth.

Mar 24, 2021, 10:51 AM

NC

There is an excellent book called, "The Working Poor". It examines the day-to-day struggles of working poor people in this country. It is not strictly about race, but it certainly has its applications.

One of the interesting aspects of the book, is that there are certain habits of poor people that contribute to their continuing poverty. In fact, they often realize those negative habits, but struggle to overcome them.

I say all of this to highlight the fact that I recognize that minorities bear some responsibilities for their plight. But, and this seems to be missing from YOUR assessment of the situation, so do we as Americans.

You speak of the black culture changing - but you fail to recognize that their culture is a part of our culture - American culture. Whether you accept this or not, American culture has a racist history - and that part of our culture is not extinct yet. So it is really up to us all - black, white, red, yellow, brown - to work on it together

WE can change OUR culture for the better - more fair and more just. But we CANNOT do it by continuing to divide ourselves into tribes - and putting off OUR responsibilities onto some other tribe.

ALL Americans deserve better - and I will continue to encourage US to find ways to do better. Will you join me in finding some middle ground - and a wat forward ?

Mar 23, 2021, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Reparation payments quietly started in Evanston IL ]

Prejudice means to "pre-judge." It's an attitude and we all have it to some extent, about something. What you can attack is discrimination, which manifests itself in actions. We have laws against discrimination.

As for leveling the playing field, the country implemented some actions. Hiring preferences, preferences in higher education, social services etc. Why is the answer to every problem more taxpayer money? Why is individual accountablity never an option to improve one's life? The formula really isn't that challenging: Stay in school, don't get pregnant, don't get anyone pregnant, don't break the law. Do those simple things, and you've got a great shot in this country.

When people, of any race or ethnicity, engage in destructive behavior, spending more money isn't likely to have a "significant impact" in changing their lot in life. With all respect Tobias, and you seem like a genuinely well-intentioned person, it's a tough sell when you want to spend a great deal of "our" money. I think you should take a great deal of your money and find someone you think is deserving, someone who the prejudiced system has failed, and provide to them. See if giving them your money changes their life in a positive way.

Mar 24, 2021, 10:38 AM

Dawg,

The fact that I HAVE invested my time and money in a number of students of mine is the very reason I recognize the need for us to do more of that collectively. I cannot tell you how many poor and/or minority students have responded positively when having a slightly easier path to success opened to them. They have gone from laborers to entrepreneurs, from high school to college, from followers to leaders. All they ever wanted was equal access to their American Dream - and they responded to getting it.

Whether y'all want to admit it or not, the poor and minorities have a tougher time getting ahead in this country. These are kids who, given a fair chance, could be contributing more to our society, but they need a little of our help to overcome the greater obstacles in their path. I am not talking about throwing money at a problem to feel better about it. I repeatedly emphasized some EFFECTIVE ideas. I care about results - once and for all. America was and is built on the ideal of equal opportunity. I would like to see us get a little closer to that ideal.

Mar 24, 2021, 11:36 AM

Good for you for assisting where you can (and I mean that, seriously). I think all of us who can help should.

I agree, the poor are at a disadvantage but that doesn't make their case hopeless. There are plenty of people who come from means who screw their lives up with bad decisions. Poor judgement doesn't know socio-economic class. There will always be poor people. They exist here and every other place on earth. The poor don't exist in the US because the system isn't fair. Far, far too many people rise out of poverty or difficult circumstances for me to believe our system is somehow unfair. There are a multitude of opportunities for everyone who wants to better their life.

What a great case study. Watch now as everyone in

Mar 23, 2021, 3:09 PM

Evanston moves on in peace and harmony.

Wait...what’s that?...

https://news.yahoo.com/evanston-illinois-becomes-first-us-city-to-approve-reparations-plan-for-black-residents-171850902.html

“It is the start,” Alderman Robin Simmons, who presented the initial reparations plan in February 2019, said Monday.

A...a start? But isn’t this it? This is reparations...

But not everyone was pleased with the passing of Monday’s plan.

Alderman Cicely Fleming, the one dissenting vote on the council, slammed the program as not going far enough, calling it “a housing plan dressed up as reparations.”

“We must understand the definition of true reparations and its main goal: to do that, the People dictate its terms to Power, not the other way around,” Fleming said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. “Rather, this resolution is dictating to Black residents what they need and how they will receive what they need.”

Well that didn’t take long. On to the next demand...good job Evanston!

null

Mar 24, 2021, 11:43 AM

I think it is BS.Will everyone be required to take a DNA test to check the % black and you would only receive the % of the amount?Be prepared for lawsuits because the indians were left out and they should be first in line because this was their land.I have indian blood in my family so I want my money too.Even though my grandparents did not have a bathroom and heated with one pot belly stove in the center of the house and no A/C my family used the free education provided through HS and college loans to achieve financial success and independence.We studied and worked hard to achieve this and did not expect handouts from the govt.Many times I worked up to 20 hours a day 7 days a week to achieve my goals.Over one 7 year period I averaged 4 to 5 hours sleep a day for 7 days a week.The govt. wants people to get used to payouts so that one day you won't get the money unless you do what they say,think what they want you to think,and abide by their instructions.No thanks I will earn my own keep

Replies: 23
| visibility 1,373
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic