Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D..

Oct 12, 2018, 3:27 PM

against the opponent’s O! ??

Clemson’s D Team actually got penalized a time or two for our yelling too loud & believe Danny had to “spit” tobacco juice towards us loud radicals! ??

Can’t remember which opponent’s Head Coach initiated that complaint & got it pushed through NCAA’s legislative rule process (lasting for years) but probably a weasel coach from either NCst, Md, uscJr or unc-ch..neither who are around now.

Saying, can WE Clemson Fans Yell Loud or What?! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't remember the opponent or the game but do

Oct 12, 2018, 3:29 PM

remember our team getting penalized because Death Valley was too loud.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too hard against..

Oct 12, 2018, 3:32 PM

I was at the game in Raleigh. Their QB had to call time out CU fans were yelling so loud.

Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too hard against..

Oct 12, 2018, 3:39 PM

I was watching on TV and remember the NC State QB looking at the ref wanting him to do something and the ref just pointing at the ball basically saying you're in your own stadium, get up there and snap the ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 12, 2018, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too hard against.. ]

I was there at that game also. The funny thing we were all in about two sections down near goal line and still bothered the woffies. Remember the cheerleader song -Our Brown is better than your Brown cause He's a Tiger? And ted Brown was held to negative yards in first half while Lester -"The Rubber Duck" ran wild.

Oct 12, 2018, 7:18 PM

I remember that one well. All the Tiger fans were singing "Our Brown is Better Than Your Brown". Old "Rubber Duck" put on a show in that game.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 3:41 PM

Bill Dooley.

Oct 12, 2018, 3:43 PM

I'm thinking it was Bill Dooley VaTech (VPI), but that was a long time ago. Refs called a penalty on the CLEMSON fans because CLEMSON noise made VPI have issues. Dooley complained. I think Bill and Vince Dooley (UGA) are related (brothers?).

Dooley Bros..from WV i believe & coached @ VT, UNC, UGa

Oct 12, 2018, 3:48 PM

Pretty good coaches overall, foxy smart & won a lot of games but one of them’s Son (Eric ?) was chased out of UT but now at some smaller school doing OK.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost positive it was that VT game in DV***

Oct 12, 2018, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too hard against.. ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 12, 2018, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too hard against.. ]

After we were penalized, wasn't there a penalty against VPI when all was quiet that prevented them from scoring or leaving them deep in their own end of the field. This was on the North-East end near the end zone. Before we were penalized, the VPI QB would back out until the noise subsided. When he would get back under the center, here came the noise and he would back off again. Dooley was raising cane and after a few more back and forth efforts with the QB and the noise, we finally got a penalty. That was a noisy crowd at that game and I had a good laugh.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a visiting fan base couldn’t yell too hard..

Oct 12, 2018, 3:55 PM

I remember a home game where we were penalized 15 yds for crowd noise. That must have been addressed with the Rules Committee because I don’t remember it happening again, and from my recollection it didn’t quiet us down that game either

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D..

Oct 12, 2018, 4:29 PM

Here are some facts on this issue for you youngsters!

First, Bill Dooley was coach at UNC. I think that is when he first started pushing for this rule to be implemented. Eventually, they did pass a rule. I think it was the first year the rule went into place, Bill Dooley was now at Va. Tech, and they came to the Valley. It was a close game, and near the end of the game with CU ahead by >3 and < 7, Va Tech had a drive. They ended up getting first and goal at the 1. That's when Dooley had his QB start monkeying with the new rule. They were heading into the hill end zone so this was right in front of the student section, and it got pretty loud. The QB backed out and acted like he couldn't hear. I think you got one warning, and then they started taking away your timeouts. Once you were out of timeouts, they started assessing penalties. I think it was only 5 yards but I am not exactly sure about that. In the Va tech game, they gave us the warning, the the QB proceeded to keep stepping out until they took away all of our timeouts. The crowd was getting progressively softer so it really was not that loud, but they kept milking it. They penalized us at least once but since they were on the 1, it was only half the distance. It got really ridiculous because the crowd was not even that loud at this point, but they were still trying. Finally, when the QB tried again, the ref pointed to him to play. When this happened the CU crowd volume went back up a little, and then one of their linemen jumped too soon. Va Tech got a 5 yard penalty, and then we held them out of the end zone and won the game.

I have always felt that they got exactly what they deserved. IF they had just lined up and run a play, they would have probably scored and the game would have been over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ YEA! We finally know the Culprit Head Coach & Team!

Oct 12, 2018, 4:46 PM

??

Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D..

Oct 12, 2018, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D.. ]

Perk, I was in the student section when UNC and Bill Dooley came to Clemson (had to be '74, '75, or '76). There must have been complaints because, at some point, the student section would be extremely loud but then go to SSSHHHHHHH! as the ball was snapped. All of those fans going shhhhhh was pretty loud! I don't remember if we were penalized but at the end of the game, we all sang "Hang down your head, Bill Dooley." It was a great time in the Valley! Funny . . . I don't remember who won.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 6:23 PM

I'm over in Macedonia on business, and when I was typing this, I was humming ... Hang down your head Bill Dooley!! I can't believe you remembered that!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perk, papers were passed thru the student section

Oct 12, 2018, 9:54 PM

with “special” lyrics just for Coach Dooley. Loved it! But he didn’t!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D.. ]

UNC at Clemson, 1974. Kicked their butt 54-32.

Oct 12, 2018, 7:42 PM

Dooley was at VA Tech when the rule put in. Vince was head of the infractions committee. We beat them 38-7 in 78, but the gcrowd was relentless on Va Tech.
So it was 80, Clemson won 13-10 after Va Tech jumped offsides and Clemson stopped them!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D.. ]

It was 74. UNC was going to the Sun Bowl and Clemson got left out. The students were hyped because of that and we were rowdy the entire game. We won that game by a good margin if I remember correctly.

Perfect description of the VT goal line shenanigans***

Oct 12, 2018, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D.. ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 12, 2018, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember the famous NCAA “CLEMSON” Rule where a fan base couldn’t yell too loud 4 their D.. ]

Was there on that end and enjoyed every minute of it.

I remember it well.

Oct 12, 2018, 6:38 PM

Seems like it was an early 80s game against UVA that we yelled and the laundry hit the turf. After a couple flags they made the UVA play through the noise. They had a couple false starts which negated the five yards they got for free.

That was my first trip to DV and I'd spent a few Saturdays in Neyland so I though I had a feel for loud. I got woke that day in Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ Hey 1988!

Oct 12, 2018, 6:59 PM

Is your Son an Attorney, Yet?!

Saying, you’re probably gonna need one soon, I suspect! ??

Oh, mine helped me collect a large overdue bill years ago & I only gave him a 10% Collection Fee! ??

Oct 12, 2018, 7:51 PM

I was a student for the SSSHHHHHHH! game as well. I believe it came under the Delay of Game rule. All those people SSSHHHHHHH! was surprisingly loud. The QB tried to milk SSSHHHHHHH! for a penalty, but the ref would have none of it. So glad they repealed it.

I also remember sining to the Dooley Brothers.

In the 77 Notre Dame game I remember

Oct 12, 2018, 8:18 PM

Dan Devine coming out on the field and ranting. Seems he got a penalty. I think his complaint was the crowd.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2018, 8:24 PM

Ok. I checked the records and this is what I found. Knew the opponent was VT. Dooley's coaching record: UNC 1967 - '77; VT 1978 - '86, and WF 1987 - '92. We won in a close game so our 1978 at home game was not it because we won 38 - 7. The final score in 1980 was 13 - 10 and the final in 1984 was 17 - 10. Had it been in 1980, VT was easily in field goal range at about the 5 yard line. It seems logical they would have gone for the tie but they ran on fourth down and were stuffed. In 1984 they needed a TD and XPoint to tie so they had to go for broke. We stuffed the run and saved the game. Hence, this leads me to believe it was during the 1984 season. Anyone have any info to confirm or refute the year?

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic