Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Probably my favorite "realignment" article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3,375

Probably my favorite "realignment" article

May 16, 2016, 12:43 PM

Only the strong survive.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-expanded-playoffs-10-years-alabama-ohio-state-notre-dame-051616

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably my favorite "realignment" article

May 16, 2016, 12:55 PM

Maybe the coots can form a Flag a Football league with Benedict College, Columbia College, Midlands Tech just to name a few. They might win a championship then....

May 16, 2016, 1:00 PM

How did Penn State get in the group?

I am sure having the second largest college football stadium

May 16, 2016, 1:28 PM

and history of excellence has something to do with it. Penn State has two national championships in football (1982 & 1986), both more recent than Clemson. (Yeah, we know all about the shame from the Sandusky abuse.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hahahah worked***

May 16, 2016, 1:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

May 16, 2016, 1:09 PM

I like this idea as well. We need to remain relevant so we can be included when and if this occurs.

May 16, 2016, 1:16 PM

Take it a step forward and allow relegation to occur as well. Bottom team in each division gets relegated the following season and replaced by the top teams from the lower tier. It would be like soccer is taking over the US but less boring because football.

May 16, 2016, 1:25 PM

You'll never be able to add relegation and promotion into American sports. He status quo is too ingrained.

Having random teams across the country might work in football but would be a nightmare for the other sports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 16, 2016, 1:16 PM

So you like the most unrealistic one lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only unrealistic part

May 16, 2016, 1:31 PM

In my mind is the number of teams in a confederation. I get you guys are all jacked about the SEC - ESPN hype machine (and believe me they do their part to make sure the world only cares about SEC football), but you've got your head in the sand if you think that ESPN will continue to be the dominant way we receive our sports broadcasts. They are starting to realize they've overpaid for these TV rights (all of them, not just the SEC) due to people turning away from bundled cable subscriptions. What netflix and Hulu have done for consuming television is eventually going to be modeled by someone for sports broadcasting.

When that happens, the conference TV deals, not just yours, all of them, are going to be fairly meaningless and I think the article is spot on about pay per event brokers that offer you all of your team's games. Or only the big games you care about.

Under that model I just don't see the Wake Forest's, Vandy's, Washington State's of the world being able to draw revenue in that market. I think the foresight in this article is spot on. The teams that can stand on subscription based viewing packages will pull out of traditional conference models. I could even see a system that models after the English premier league where football programs can move in and out of the elite group based on performance. In 10 years I would wager we wouldn't recognize the college football landscape.

I wouldn't dare to guess what teams would be in or who would even be good when this happens. I think there are a few easy marks as the article mentions but other programs (SC and Clemson specifically) have had periods where they would be considered elite and periods they would be an afterthought. But I do scoff at the notion that the mighty SEC will save ESPN's viewing model. They are already starting to see the writing on the wall as noted by the fact that conferences are realizing the next round of TV deals will not be so generous.

I think in this scenario,

May 16, 2016, 2:06 PM

The NCAA ceases to be the governing body of football. How likely is that to happen regardless of realignment? I'd say pretty likely...

Re: The only unrealistic part

May 16, 2016, 3:29 PM [ in reply to The only unrealistic part ]

I actually agree the money is becoming absurd.

I'd rather pay $1/month for ESPN than a bunch of college football players have laser tag room on campus.

May 16, 2016, 3:44 PM [ in reply to The only unrealistic part ]

I'd like to hear more about the fictional time when , a team named the Gamecoots were thought of as elite .
Were there flying monkeys and pastel skies during this time , as well ? Love reading fictional works , just had mo idea anyone had written that the Coots were at ANY time in their football history thought of as elite . That's truly not fiction , it's borderline absurdity .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 16, 2016, 10:15 PM

Must have been the time they went to a major bowl game which was, if I remember correctly, in the year 19never.

Conferences are dinosaurs. He is right about this

May 16, 2016, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Probably my favorite "realignment" article ]

geographical stuff. When Clemson and UGA are less than 75 miles apart and don't play this is the stupidity of prehistoric conferences.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember when you lied about only replying on #### threads?***

May 16, 2016, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Probably my favorite "realignment" article ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Old rival or body bag opponent" ....

May 16, 2016, 2:21 PM

...lucky us! We get both in one rival!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This has been the rumor for European Soccer for Years....

May 16, 2016, 4:08 PM

A super league with only the best of the best.

I bet South Carolina fans are happy... wait, what!!

May 16, 2016, 5:28 PM

Oh it's the real USC that's included. Can't believe he didn't include the entire SEC with all of it's powerhouse schools! (snicker) Like SCar, Vandy and KY

That sounds horrible. Then a big playoff rematch at the end?

May 16, 2016, 6:59 PM

Blegh. Make conferences now where you only play 8 league games a year everywhere to leave more room for better OOC opportunities. You could easily pool teams with OOC slots open into two-year home & home events chosen at the last minute to ensure better match-ups.

College needs to maintain a regional flavor - that's part of what makes it so different from pro ball, and more enjoyable to many. I think we're more apt to see conferences condense than we are to see them grow. If the playoffs were to expand to 8 teams it would and should come at the expense of the conference championship games - which could ditch divisions and play a more round-robin 8 game schedule.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm still for the four super conference W/ 16 teams each.

May 16, 2016, 9:04 PM

Playoffs start in the first month of play. That gives every team a chance to play their OOC rivals if they have any. Four teams, four pods compose each conference. The regular season is cut short two weeks to facilitate two rounds of playoffs.

Winner of the four pods face each other, that's round one. The two winners of those two games face off, that's round two. All those games are billed as playoff games with the higher ranked being the home team which actually plays at their home field.

The conference winners play at bowl locations. If I've done the cipherin' right that should leave us with four teams. I'd stipulate a minimum amount of seats to host any home game. If a stadium couldn't hold 90K people they'd play on the visitor's field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2016, 8:18 AM

Just knowing the gamekawks were lef out made for an enjoyable read.

May 17, 2016, 10:59 AM

That was one of my favorite parts too

Replies: 22
| visibility 3,375
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic