Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pitching in my opinion is what is hurting us...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Pitching in my opinion is what is hurting us...

May 8, 2019, 7:49 AM

Not the pitchers themselves but pitching in general.

With that being said I ask is Andrew See (the pitching coach) the right man for the job?

We need someone who can identify the problem they see and fix it. Not someone who just goes out and tries to talk to a pitcher and hope. I don't know what is being said on the mound visits or in the dugout between innings but IMO it isn't working.

Our pitchers are throwing good pitches but when they are not hitting the mark after 3-4 batters we need someone who can figure out what is going on and tell the pitcher what to do to correct it. Sometimes it's a minor tweak and sometimes it's a major change in their motion or delivery. See doesn't seem to be making the adjustments needed.

Fix the pitching and I think things will work themselves out

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pitching in my opinion is what is hurting us...

May 8, 2019, 7:53 AM

dont pitch it. Then they cant hit it. Problem solved. Of course games take a while to complete

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 8:05 AM

Crawford's injury and, it appears to me, his lack of full recovery and consistency surely hasn't helped. Add in all the freshman pitchers and it is a bad combination.

Also, think of all the extra batters each pitcher has faced because of the poor fielding behind them at times. That works as a mental detriment. When the pitcher thinks he has to throw his best pitch, nibble at the corners and sometimes over throws because he is not confident of what's behind him, then the walks come and they face even more batters. We all know what walks lead to, runs for the opponent.

As far as losing game 2 to GW and then to PC, the 2 pitcher suspensions contributed greatly to those losses. It's not an excuse, but it didn't help having 2 steady relievers out if the lineup.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 8:17 AM

The pitching has overachieved since See came to Clemson. This season has been a bad mix of injuries, inexperience and 2 struggling veterans. Yes he’s the right man for the job. After four years the pitching costs us a handful of games and you want to call out Andrew See?

Bad pitching, like bad hitting,

May 8, 2019, 8:59 AM

isn't corrected by talking to the player and telling him what's wrong during a game. That's not the time for corrective coaching. The correct time and place is during practice, when muscle memory and brain function is developed. The habits need to be grooved before the pressure arrives. A player can make slight adjustments during a game, but he has to understand what he's doing and know the corrective action before putting it into effect. Trying to coach a player during a game can be a recipe for disaster. The best thing to do during a game is to encourage the player who's struggling in order to restore his confidence in what he already knows.

May 8, 2019, 9:26 AM

Very little if any positive development among pitchers since See has been here. I know many think he is the greatest pitching coach on the planet but I don't see it. I have reason to think he is not good at all when it comes to pitching mechanics and after watching people like Owen Griffith and Sam Weatherly who have tons of potential get no better I think we have a problem. Also look at the trajectory of Crawford,Hennessy and Marr and tell me where they are compared to when they arrived on campus.

May 8, 2019, 9:32 AM

Sheesh do you remember in 2016 and 2017 when our strike out to walk ratio was like 100,000 to 1? Lol and that was with pitchers like Charlie Barnes, Pat Krall, Alex Eubanks.

May 8, 2019, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Pitching in my opinion is what is hurting us... ]

In 2016 we had a team era of .443. The following season we improved to .360.
Then after losing all 3 weekend starters and Tyler Jackson, we had a team era of .370. Pretty much no drop off which was unbelievable. Currently the team era is .419 in a year where we are young and injured....... yet the ERA is still better than it was the first year he was here. That’s how far the pitching has still come talent wise

May 8, 2019, 10:13 AM

Yeah the pitching is a big problem but moving runners over and timely hitting is also.
Last night down a run with the first 2 batters on in the 8th. Monte tells Teo to bunt down the first base line? That in a nutshell is the problem NO fundamentals. Why on earth would you bunt it to the first baseman who then has a easy play at third ?

May 8, 2019, 10:42 AM

Especially when the first baseman was playing in on the play expecting a bunt. If for whatever reason you’re going to bunt it that side at least get it closer to the mound.

Even with the bunt, Teo had smacked a homer and seemed to be seeing the ball better... I heard Monte owned it though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 10:48 AM

Bottom line is this is as fundamentally poor baseball team at the major college level I have ever witnessed. Anyone who understands the game at all either won't deny it or is overlooking the many faults of this staff.

May 8, 2019, 12:06 PM

You are right ramrod. I notice it every game. Guys just haven’t been taught some of the basics of winning baseball. All to often I see the pitcher throw a fast ball right down the middle when he is ahead in the count. When you get two strikes on a batter you force him to hit a bad strike not serve him a pitch he can drive. The Tigers do this every game. Why?

Almost fifty games into the season and we are still experimenting with a lineup and position players! By now you should have developed a third baseman etc. Why have a different second baseman every game? The outfield should have been settled thirty games ago! We are still looking for a winning lineup and the season ends in a few weeks! This is poor baseball that should have been corrected months ago.

As I stated in an earlier post, there is NO team unity. Everybody seems to be having a great time while they lose games to inferior teams . Is anyone taking this sport seriously. I can’t see it. Maybe we need more disciple!!!!!! Less joy and happiness in the dugout might be a good place to start regaining a team that has been lost.

May 8, 2019, 12:09 PM

You are spot on and exactly right

May 8, 2019, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Pitching in my opinion is what is hurting us... ]

HEY SUPER FAN GUESS MONTE TOLD HIM TO BUNT IT REALLY HARD ALSO SO THE GUY WOULD HAVE AN EASY PLAY. GOOD CALL MONTE. AND OF COURSE SUPER FAN KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT MONTE TOLD TEO BECAUSE HE CAN READ LIPS THROUGH A CUPPED HAND. GOOD JOB SUPER FAN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 12:06 PM

AND THATS A BIG LOL.

May 8, 2019, 11:39 AM

Coach See is one of the top pitching coaches in college baseball. If Jack had gotten rid of Pepicelli and hired See I think he would still be the coach at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Personally I think this guy has it figured out....

May 8, 2019, 12:11 PM

https://youtu.be/XYoBOhZvBEw

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 8, 2019, 12:19 PM

at the moment we are not a very good baseball team pitching hitting defense etc.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic