Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Party Friend Problems
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Party Friend Problems

Mar 27, 2021, 11:37 AM

alright, need some anonymous advice here. I have a friend that is fun to party with and I know he is pretty crazy, but today, I found out just how crazy. So I knew he pulled all nighters and such and maybe a little coke here and there, but nothing too insane.

Well this morning, I went by his house. I hadn't heard from him in a couple of days and I was starting to get worried. I saw that his GF truck and motorcycle were in his driveway and they also hadn't moved in a couple of days.

I have a key, so I went in and find them both super strung out on coke. They have been up for two days. When I say it was everywhere, it was everywhere. mirrors, cut up straws, it was disgusting. His roommate died a couple of years ago doing the same thing, so I never expected that he would be that bad.

I just turned around and left, but now, I have no idea what to do. I cant really tell anyone, I don't want them to die, but is that really my problem? I have also given him gift cards to help pay bills, but now I feel like he probably wasnt paying bills.

I dunno what to do, but I know that no matter what, I cant be hanging around that/him/that situation as I do not want that name for myself. I just left the key I had on his bar, which he will never find and left

What to do joungers? Glad I am flying out today and getting out of here or I would be here just waiting on a call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious answer

Mar 27, 2021, 11:44 AM

Cut the cord. Invite him to a party every now and then, but that's it. You can't change him. The only way you probably stop him from really going downhill is call the cops on him, but who wants to do that?

People like this are always a liability, and if you stay too close, he may drag you down with him one day. You don't exactly buy that much coke from great, upstanding citizens. What if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time?

If cops had shown up at that exact moment you were there, you're going to jail, too.

Now, if he's a super close friend and this is a change in behavior, I guess have a long heart to heart with him. But it sounds like he's in a place you can't change.

Maybe ask him to go raid The Capitol with you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Thanks man. I like

Mar 27, 2021, 12:11 PM

that we can be civil these days.

I agree with all you said. Except I wouldn’t storm the Capitol, I would have been drunk at the bar by the time rally was over and that started. Ha ha!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What Cata said***

Mar 27, 2021, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Serious answer ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s tough. As Cata said though ....

Mar 27, 2021, 12:04 PM

don’t get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I walked through his kitchen

Mar 27, 2021, 12:12 PM

turned the corner and saw all that coke, that is exactly what I thought. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

Re: Party Friend Problems

Mar 27, 2021, 12:13 PM

Say something if you feel like it once he sobers up. Other than that, mind your own business.

Mar 27, 2021, 12:18 PM

I forgot to add.....I am sure he is like, "That idiot believes in Q and wanted to storm the Capitol building". I am sure he will think you are dipshyatt no matter what you say. At the best will just try to appease you. You should let it go.

For real

Mar 27, 2021, 12:57 PM

Cut all contact with him before he gets you jacked up
Drugs will ruin your life. I know from experience my ex gf a couple years had a seizure.
So just cut all ties with him.

Like I tell my kids...perception is reality and you are

Mar 27, 2021, 1:04 PM

Perceived to be the same as those you associate with. I’m 100% sure that’s not how you want to be perceived nor do you want people like this integrated into a life with a wife and kids.

I’m coming from a place where people like this caused major issues in my life, without me even knowing they had the issues, and it will never happen again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We joke a lot on here about me drinking and

Mar 27, 2021, 1:14 PM

being nuts, but in reality, I am not as crazy as most of you think. Edibles is as far as I go. Never touched any other drug.

Yup, I am out. I think this broke the camels back per say and I am not hanging with that group again. It’s sad cause down deep he is a solid dude, but I can’t do all of this -ish.

Smart move. There’s two ways it can go, eventually.

Mar 27, 2021, 1:17 PM

You make his life better, or he makes yours worse. Unfortunately I know which one I’d put $1000 on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel dumb for trying to help him pay bills.

Mar 27, 2021, 1:24 PM

And such but I hope he wasn’t trading the gift cards and actually using them to pay bills. We shall see.

Don’t. Drug addicts are some of the worlds greatest con

Mar 27, 2021, 1:30 PM

Artists, and the more generous you are, the easier you get conned.

One last thing that helps me think through stuff like this. Promise I’m not being preachy—I eff up constantly—-but from one father to another it might resonate. In scenarios like this I apply the standard “would I want my grown kid hanging out with someone like this (or any other judgement cal you can think of). If I answer “no”, but I’m still doing it, it takes some real soul searching to reconcile why I’m living below my own standards.

Don't feel dumb. I won't call him a friend but there was ...

Mar 27, 2021, 1:52 PM [ in reply to I feel dumb for trying to help him pay bills. ]

a guy MANY years ago I tried to help out. I would pick him up on the way to work. One day he was fumbling around and dropped a syringe and whatever. He was shooting up.

I stopped the car and made his A get out of of my car that moment. I was like no way I'm getting caught with that #### in my vehicle.

He continued to work with us but got caught and told everything about a bunch of guys at work. SLED came in one night at work guns drawn and half my crew went to jail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do sound like you are in the restaurant business.

Mar 27, 2021, 2:01 PM

Been there. I love that industry and the people in it, but that is the landscape. Maybe that's why I love them. If you want to live in real life, it's there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but you're spot on in saying that. Know many...........

Mar 27, 2021, 2:04 PM

in that business and yeah.

Manufacturing babysitter here. Well I was.

Agree with all that has been said here. Will add only a

Mar 27, 2021, 1:58 PM

couple of thoughts from experience with addicted people:

- As you do as you seem to have decided, maybe find some way to keep communication and relationship open. Not supporting or participating doesn't have to mean not communicating.

- You are right that all support going for an addicted person will be used for the addiction. Even if you pay directly for an auto repair or for groceries, the money he would have spent for that will go to the addiction: you are actually buying the coke. It sounds harsh to not pay for groceries, but there are recovery programs in your city that will feed and house him (Salvation Army will be free, as will some others): if he won't do that, he would rather have the coke than the food. Gotta let him do it.

- You can go to him to offer the above. He may turn it down, but you will have done what you can do.

- Finally, if so inclined, you can also tell him, "I think you are going to kill yourself. That is not a horrible outcome, because it eventually happens to everyone, and it doesn't change my friendship with you. However, do you want to know how to nail down what will happen to you on the other side of that?" Not good odds on a transformation right then - though it does happen - but might set that thought in his mind that God uses at a later day: that happens more often.

Mar 27, 2021, 2:14 PM

As already stated, this is certainly a bad situation. Be careful. If your friend continues this path he will add to his "friends" listing...probably the sort of people that are more like him in that regard. That will more firmly seat him in this downward spiral.

Unless you can really have a heart to heart and see some genuine concern for himself, it is time to stand back and care from a distance. Be ready to help but be ready to draw a line too. That is the hard part for you but, you didn't put yourself there. In time, you may find you are "blasted" by this person because you are trying to help...just not the way that is asked for or expected. Emotional roll a coaster for sure.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Being a total novice in the world of "hard drugs"

Mar 27, 2021, 2:41 PM

is there any chance they could both overdose in the current situation they are in right now? Is there any moral obligation to notify someone that provides drug rehab (not the police) about the state you found them in or are the police the only ones who would do a welfare check?

Seriously asking, because this situation would really freak me out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are coke only. I think they were

Mar 27, 2021, 3:56 PM

ok, just he was on the floor and she was in the bed. I checked him and he was good although about 90bpm by my count. I didn’t touch her I just got out of there.

I am not sure if you can overdose. I think your heart just gives out. Maybe that is the same. I dunno.

Re: They are coke only. I think they were

Mar 27, 2021, 4:04 PM

If I could give you a TU I would. Good work.

Re: Being a total novice in the world of "hard drugs"

Mar 27, 2021, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Being a total novice in the world of "hard drugs" ]

He isn't overdosing on cocaine. They are cutting cocaine at times with fentanyl, That will kill him possibly. That's what the dude should be worried about. Here is my good friend who died last year. Just thought he was doing a few lines and wasn't even a cocaine addict. As a matter of fact, he rarely did it. He is dead now.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.crowfoot

You can overdose on it and have a seizure

Mar 28, 2021, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Being a total novice in the world of "hard drugs" ]

Or pass out driving a vehicle, but as far as dying from an overdose would have to be a heart attack or stroke caused by the increased BP.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can be honest with him

Mar 27, 2021, 4:04 PM

tell him drugs are a problem and you love him as a friend but can't hang out with him anymore. Tell him that you know its not your place to tell him he has a problem, so you wont.

For an addict the ends are always the same, jails, institutions or death...unless they get clean.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can be honest with him

Mar 27, 2021, 4:06 PM

He should tell him that it is too dangerous now due to fentanyl in everything. Thise dude in a sense is playing Russian roulette.

I went through the same thing a few years ago with one of

Mar 27, 2021, 5:01 PM

my best friends. While we all partied like rock stars back in the day, the rest of us eventually grew up, got married, and mellowed somewhat. My friend, on the other hand, had a string of "girlfriends" but never formed a lasting relationship of any kind, and instead piled up a steady string of DUIs, assualt and battery, sssaulting police officers, resisting arrest, a variety of drug charges, etc.. He'd buy a 12 pack of cold beer and set it on the kitchen table, never putting it in the fridge, because he'd drink it before it got warm. He'd get on a coke bender and stay up for days and the ash tray would overflow with cigarette butts (they'd be falling in the floor), and the vodka bottles would overflow the trash can. He was happy and everybody's friend when drunk or high, but avoided all social contact in between benders. The middle of the night phone calls became more and more frequent, and they went something like this: Phoine rings at 3:00 A.M., I answer, worried about elderly parents "Hello", but it's him. "Hey man, what's happenin'?" ME: "Dude, it's 3 oclock in the godamn morning, what do you think is happening?" HIM: "Oh man, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that. I didn't mean to wake you up. You know I kove you like a brother!". Then I'd just hang up. Often, the phone would ring again 30 minutes later, and we'd repeat the whole thing. Eventually I cornered him one day when he was sober, and told him I wanted to help him. I was goung to set up all of the arrangements for rehab so that all he had to do was ride with me to the facility, sign the paper, and check in. He got pissed, cussed me out and told me to leave - said he didn't need any help. When I got home, the phone was ringing (early cell phone era), and he said he was sorry, he knew he needed help and he would go. I made the arrangements and was to pick him up at 7:00 the next morning and take him in. I showed up as planned, but he wasn't ready. Instead, he'd been up all night drinking and doing coke. I knew I had done all I could, and I had to walk away. I never spoke to him again. Sadly, I found out that he died of a massive heart attack about 10 years later. I really can't believe he made it that long, but my consience was clear. I really tried, but he didn't want it, he didn't want to get better. It was his choice. It was affecting my life, and I had to walk away.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I went through the same thing a few years ago with one of

Mar 27, 2021, 5:26 PM

The problem is they won't listen. I have tried so many times with so many people. They only fake that they care what we say. This is within the last year basically. All dead Fentanyl. All very important to me. All with tons of potential. People tried with all 3 of these people. They won't listen. It won't happen to them they think. I relate. I know they are dead now. I know now. These 3 young people are dead within the last year basically. It sucks. I lost 1 other person this year who did drugs, but he was suicide. He is the one with the dog. Been a tough a year. I wonder if covid anything to do with it. Anyway, this all 1 year. They never listen.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.crowfoot

https://www.cooperfh.com/obituary/garrett-johnson

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/pompano-beach-fl/ryan-ramsey-9084987

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/pompano-beach-fl/ryan-ramsey-9084987

My friend was heavily into guns and random acts of violence,

Mar 28, 2021, 3:56 PM [ in reply to I went through the same thing a few years ago with one of ]

which was another reason to walk away. In the 80s, he became enamored with the Scarface movie, and somehow procured an Uzi. He showed up at a couple of parties, Uzi in tow, and guess what? It accidentally "went off" inside friend's houses, leaving holes in walls and floors on two different occasions. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Like I said, this was at a time when some of us had started marrying and having kids and such, so this shid was totally unacceptable. He also had a pilot's licence and was an experienced parachutist, and he often talked about wanting to make drug runs from south of the border. He never did, but he was serious about doing it. I know of one time when he chased a guy down and stabbed him in the middle of the street (another alcoholic drinking buddy) who tried to steal his beer. That's when he picked up his first "assaulting a police officer" charge too. Shortly thereafter, since he had no license and was drunk, he had another one of our good friends drive him to the local 7-11 to buy beer. While crazy drunk friend goes into the store, other buddy, who later told me the story, waits in the car. A man with wife and kids parks beside him, and gets out to go into the store, just as drunk friend is exiting with his beer. They bump into each other, words are exchanged, and drunk friend slams this poor guy through the plate glass on the front of the store, shaterring glass everywhere. Drunk friend jumps in the car and other buddy drives off in a panic.

You try to help, but if they refuse, this is why you walk away and don't look back. Don't answer the phone. Don't go to the door. Don't respond, don't acknowledge. Walk away. This guy was the smartest guy in our friend group growing up. Went to Auburn on scholarship and graduated with honors with degree in chemistry. He was a truly nice, caring guy. But the addiction was stronger than he was - no contest, and it changed him completely.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

After reading more ITT

Mar 27, 2021, 9:07 PM

You lay with dogs, you get fleas. You hang around with dogs it is presumed you have fleas.

Dude can only help himself.

He’ll turn on you for offering to help. That’s not personal, that’s how an addict operates.

He has to find rock bottom. No one knows what that is but he will know when he finds it. That hole is deeper for some than for others.

Social distance is in order.

###### as it is, this is what it is.

Follow up here

Mar 28, 2021, 5:10 AM

I actually took jounge advice and it worked.

When I got to Hilton Head last night, my son was so exhausted from travel he crashed immediately. So I took that time to call my bud.

I think he was really drunk, but whatever. I told him that I cared about him and was scared for him and that what I saw can’t keep happening or he is going to kill himself. I told him that I am not going to be around for a long time and that he needed to distance himself from her and he needed to get a job and get help before I would be back around.

That was met with and I quote, in jounge terms, “Effing sheet man! I know. Sheet has been crazy lately and I haven’t been myself here lately”. That is literally all he said other than for me to be safe and have a good time.

I am wiping my hands of this one. My town is too small and my reputation too good to deal with this crap.

Thanks to the jounge. Really appreciate it.

You did the best you can

Mar 28, 2021, 5:57 AM

I’m kinda surprised so many in the jounge have this many stories

I had one. The day I saw him on the local PD Facebook page in a grainy security camera pic of two guys stealing metal racks from a restaurant, I knew to stay away. Dude taught me so much about fishing and has a ton of potential.

I hope you enjoy Hilton Head and clear your mind a little

Also glad to see the jounge offering real advice

Some of us on here are old enough to have kids who have

Mar 28, 2021, 8:13 AM

either experienced this lifestyle personally, or run around with friends who do, or both.

My stepson died in 2017 from a lethal combination of coke and street Xanax and maybe more. He was responsible, 32 years old, and the CFO of a good sized company. There were signs that it was getting out of hand, but only after all of us had talked together afterwards. Drugs will kill you, and alcohol will kill you. Once this begins to swirl downwards at ever-increasing speed, I am not sure you can stop it.

Alcohol and benzos, to make matters worse, can't be stopped cold turkey for risk of fatal seizures. What is also a complication is that these people will seek out like-minded individuals, so there is no voice urging caution and restraint. In fact, the addicts can sense when another has come into some money, and will therefore be likely to have drugs. This was the case with my stepson. There was a piece of shid 'friend' who drifted in a couple of weeks earlier, and was always down to party. He survived, and has now been present for at least 3 overdoses that I know of.

It's a culture of death, and I don't know what to do about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Stay away and don’t enable him anymore.

Mar 28, 2021, 4:34 PM

If he does ask why tell him you think he needs some help and should go to some meetings or an IOP. (Intensive outpatient) . But at the end of the day he prob won’t listen until he hits rock bottom and that bottom is different for everyone.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic