Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer

Apr 15, 2018, 12:43 PM

Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer

Kelly Bryant had a difficult spring game to start off the 2018 season. As the only quarterback in the game without a touchdown, two sacks, and only 35 passing yards, Bryant ended spring season on a rough note. That doesn’t seem to bother Bryant however.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good attitude, however I don't know if that is enough?

Apr 15, 2018, 1:07 PM

The other 3 QB's have better arms, and that was Tigers' main weakness last year. I am pulling for KB though and hope he proves me wrong in the Fall! If not, I hope he sees that 2 OSU QB's who were good, but not good enough for NFL, made it there as receivers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good attitude, however I don't know if that is enough?

Apr 15, 2018, 1:40 PM

Our most experienced QB by far had the most trouble by far in the spring game. Yeah, I get its one scrimmage but his throwing inconsistency down field continues to plague his effectiveness in offensive drives just like last year. Time will tell if his vow to improve can be realized.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good attitude, however I don't know if that is enough?

Apr 17, 2018, 4:46 PM

Man, after a year as our starter, KB has shown absolutely no improvement. Do we have to lose 2 or 3 games this coming season for this brutal fact to sink in?? This guy, nice as he is, is a top-level D-1 QB?? Really?? I really like the guy, but to come out and say that he is a top-level collegiate QB is something that I simply refuse to do. OMG, who can't see this?? He could potentially be a great running back, which would very likely give him a future in the NFL, where he will never play a millisecond as a QB! And we have a world-beater already on campus, and throwing pro-style passes in our spring game?? Mars to Clemson, Mars to Clemson!! Hello out there!!

Not buying the legs excuse. TL and HJ can run as well

Apr 15, 2018, 1:26 PM

It's not about going a little wild. It's being a natural thrower, reading defenses, recognizing blitzes, staying calm and not pouting when things don't go well.

Elite receivers are not lining up to play for Clemson if the QB just wants to make plays with legs. Top defensive players didn't give up a lot of money to come back so they can save the team time and again from a mediocre offense that would go for 3 and outs for extended periods of time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not buying the legs excuse. TL and HJ can run as well

Apr 15, 2018, 1:30 PM

Dang.... some truth to that....

Apr 15, 2018, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Not buying the legs excuse. TL and HJ can run as well ]

Harsh but true.

I do believe he was at a greater disadvantage than the others due to QB running ability being severely limited by Spring Game rules, but that doesnt change the fact that he's a very limited passer, and we have way too much talent on the outside to let it go waste.

Apr 22, 2018, 1:02 AM

I see the spring game rules as everybody played by those exact same rules so, KB don't get a reprieve bc of the spring game rule. There are rules in every aspect of the game of FB, and when you fail at those, there can't be any excuses suited when everybody plays by the same set of rules!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Not buying the legs excuse. TL and HJ can run as well ]

You absolutely nailed it. Thank you. We can either be an elite team or some cub-scout outfit sabotaqed by misguided ideas of loyalty. I have never played college football, but played 4 years of HS football under the tutelage of a great coach who had been a starting lineman for Furman. I have a steel and titanium knee as a testament to that, but I'd do it all over again. In those years, I was never given any doubt as to the fact that I was in constant completion, that there were no guarantees attached to my position. I want to assume that our great coaching staff at Clemson will do the same. I really enjoy all of the comments made on this thread.

He only looks at half the field

Apr 15, 2018, 1:42 PM

When it comes to passing, only half the field is in play.

Here's an exception ...

Apr 15, 2018, 4:12 PM

He surveys the entire field before hitting Feaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0mF1kE8KY

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's an exception ...

Apr 15, 2018, 8:45 PM

That was the only time he did it too. What we call an outlier

as the qb with the most experience, KB should not have

Apr 15, 2018, 1:51 PM

Been to wild for a spring game. He is the only qb that looked like a deer in headlights. Not what I was expecting from the senior.

Re: as the qb with the most experience, KB should not have

Apr 22, 2018, 1:09 AM

Bingo, that is what I have been saying. He is a senior QB with 4 years under his belt with also one full season as the starter, and a true freshman made him look like a rookie, and so did a RS freshman and a true sophomore. It would be different if only one of the QB's had done better than him, but all 3 of them was much better than KB!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer

Apr 15, 2018, 1:58 PM

He pretty much said the same thing last year after the spring game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer

Apr 15, 2018, 2:04 PM
CU.jpg(52.1 K)

we can beat this horse to death -- better passing skills are ""natural ability""

He did have the thumb injury last year though...

Apr 15, 2018, 2:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

yet, I think he played better overall in Spring game last year. And did not have that "deer in the headlights look". Do you think he paniced when he saw that TD pass from TL?

Re: He did have the thumb injury last year though...

Apr 22, 2018, 1:15 AM

If that is what happened, he definitely don't fit a starting QB profile!!!

Apr 15, 2018, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

and then won 12 games in '17.

The problem is we needed 13 or 14 last year.****

Apr 15, 2018, 5:15 PM

Apr 15, 2018, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

The defense won 12 games last year.

Coots won 12 games? Women’s basketball?***

Apr 15, 2018, 9:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

That's SO awesome...let me know exactly how many years you expect FSU to be a 2-6 team (for him to only still have 151 yards passing on that), then we'll discuss what he actually accomplished.

Apr 15, 2018, 8:32 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

The TEAM won 12 games...not KB.

Apr 16, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

As a senior and starter last year he should know that he has to hit the field running and make a good showing.m I hope he is not over confident. He has completion and must step up to keep his job.

Apr 17, 2018, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

KB has been a warrior for us. However, the game at this level is all about competition. If it isn't, you lose. I'm in favor of just letting it all play out.

Apr 22, 2018, 1:17 AM

And it will, and sooner than most think it will!!!

Apr 15, 2018, 1:59 PM

In KB’s case, I think that first hit and using his legs is important to getting in game rhythm. We have seen this from him before. But we have also seen the off-target passes. I think for several years we hoped & waited he’d improve that aspect of his game. My view is the wait, in the absence of talented replacements, could go on. But the wait, with so many talented replacements, is probably soon over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2018, 5:53 PM

Well, I have to agree.

Enough excuses from Dabo and promises from KB...

Apr 15, 2018, 2:19 PM

Either you're always up to the task or your not.

He got beat by the HJ and TL.

Apr 15, 2018, 2:19 PM

Well that has a bit of a whistling past the graveyard tone to me. He knew he is being pressed,hard, and that was the reason for how he looked on the sideline after yet another overthrown pass and 3 and out series.

Apr 15, 2018, 2:20 PM

Just the same answers at a different time in his career. KB isn't a top D1 QB, and if he had another 3-4 years left to be a college QB, he wouldn't be a bit better than he was in this 2018 spring game. When a true freshman QB out does a senior QB, there are way more question than it is answers of the senior QB's ability as to, is he a NC QB. I also will say, if a team needs two OC's to run the offense, that means we don't have one really good one. I love all of our coaches, but we should never need two OC's with equal power that will at times have a difference of opinions with what should be played in a game. Two is fine if one has some over ride power over the other. It should always be where you can point the finger at one when it fails and goes wrong!!!

Lots of respect for TE and Scott - they are growing fast

Apr 15, 2018, 10:04 PM

Still Dabo is making the personnel calls on Offense ... and Brandon Streeter is growing and leading as well. It's a high quality staff and congratulations to Dabo for putting it together.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2018, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

I am pretty certain the override belongs to Dabo! I don't believe either one of those guys is petulant enough for there to be disharmony when one or the other's immediate idea is chosen over the other or from a personnel perspective either.

Apr 17, 2018, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

What?? Didn't quite get your drift.

I think Dabo has learned from the .....

Apr 15, 2018, 2:58 PM

Whole 3 and out Stoudt debacle......let's hope.

Apr 15, 2018, 3:36 PM

Coach Elliot says in an interview yesterday that the most talented player may not start. Does that mean they already decided? He says the locker room will help decide. I pray it's not true, but will the team refuse to play for one of the white boys?

Dude....

Apr 15, 2018, 7:15 PM

###

Apr 15, 2018, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

You created your account 20 months ago and THIS is your first post?!

He was waiting to make the stupidest post possible? A coot

Apr 15, 2018, 9:57 PM

making dumb posts is normal!

Apr 15, 2018, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

Why make it into something racist, and I gave you a TD for your attempt!!!

Apr 17, 2018, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

You've got to be kidding with that post.

Apr 15, 2018, 3:59 PM

I believe that the writing is finally on the wall and that KB will go to the NFL as A Receiver.
The Coaches need to prepare Him now to compete with Amarie Rogers because He would be awesome at that position in My Opinion !

Apr 15, 2018, 5:42 PM

He will not play a down in the NFL

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 3:59 PM

Big game experience be d****d! Bama was a big game and how'd that turn out?! I saw nothing different yesterday than I saw last season... missing wide open receivers down field. When opponents see THAT, his legs aren't much of a problem for them to solve.
When a better model of car becomes available and solves the glitch your old one has...you move on!

I'm Disappointed...

Apr 15, 2018, 4:07 PM

In KB's performance. As the leader and a Senior I was shaking my head at the amount of missed passes. Especially the shorter passes . I believe that in terms of passing skills the other 3 QB's are better.

Th other QB's may not have the leadership ability that KB has at this point but if one of the other three were to win a couple of games the posse would be behind the new sheriff in town.

Apr 15, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Bryant admits he got a "little wild" but vows to get better over the summer ]

Exactly this. Last year's regular season games all featured Captain Checkdown starting his progressions, not downfield, but to the flat for a screen and relying on the speed and agility of his receivers to make plays, which are easily countered by an athletic, well-coached team like Alabama. It didn't help matters that Cain only showed up to play (IMHO) when he chose to do so, but KB's inability to complete the long ball made him one-dimensional, and those three-and-outs so plentiful. Now here we are, and we see in the spring game that KB is still that one-dimensional QB. He hasn't progressed. He may be a leader, and he may have experience, but he doesn't possess the skill necessary to win a championship. He needs to realize and admit there are better options behind him, then be a leader and request a position change; WR as has been suggested, or even TE would be a good fit for him with his size and speed. As much as I look forward to seeing TL win, I want HJ or even CB to show their ability first.

Apr 15, 2018, 4:10 PM

Soso....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 5:20 PM

KB can't score against our defense. He couldn't score against Alabama's defense either. He had 7 possessions yesterday and only one first down. Kind of like the Sugar Bowl

Apr 15, 2018, 5:43 PM

He is a good QB against good defenses. He is average at best against great defenses like ours and Alabama.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 5:55 PM

Big Dexter didn't even play on the Orange Team. Imagine if he did

Apr 15, 2018, 6:40 PM

Thanks for your contribution last year, Kelly, but your mechanics and touch are #### poor, last year, yesterday and in the future. Time to find a new position and give way to the 5 stars.

Here's the bottom line folks

Apr 15, 2018, 7:35 PM

When it came time to perform in front of an audience of 50,000 fans in Death Valley, the senior QB was out performed by three lower classmen. It's plain to see that either Chase Brice or Trevor Lawrence should be starting for the Clemson Tigers. Otherwise, we could be wasting a shot at another national championship. We cannot gas out our defense by consistently having 3 and outs all game long. Chase needs to work on his check downs and read options a little better. He threw a few interceptions, but all is well with Trevor Lawrence who can drop a pass into a receiver's hands on a deep route in coverage. That's what we need. We don't need a duel threat QB if we have the studs at RB that we have.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Maybe we should get Dabo an armchair, would make him a

Apr 15, 2018, 8:27 PM

a better coach!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I think you're shorting HJ ... he also has some mad skills

Apr 15, 2018, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Here's the bottom line folks ]

Agree with most of your message

Re: Over in assessment i would say

Apr 15, 2018, 8:23 PM

I have no idea how KB has done in practice up until the spring game. But... going by only the spring game I would have thought him being a Senior he would have shown to be the man. Instead he didn't meet his or anyone's expectations. Looked like he folded under pressure. I know it's easy to sit back and critic when you don't have to be in the QB position but we are talking Division 1 Football and if you want to start and lead a team you have to have the ability, the leadership, the drive and the talent to lead your team to the top. When the dust settles the best MAN will lead and earn the QB battle. Then and only then will everyone rally and leave everything on the field with no regrets to prove the TIGERS will be the top team left standing. Take NOTHING for granted.

Re: Over in assessment i would say

Apr 15, 2018, 8:53 PM

Coach Elliot says in an interview yesterday that the most talented player may not start

Well it's not fair to the guys who returned for another year

Apr 15, 2018, 9:38 PM

Those men came back to play at Clemson when they could be well on their way to becoming millionaires. They did it for Coach Swinney, their school, and their fans. Coach Swinney owes them the courtesy of at least placing the offense in the best hands of the QB who gives us the best chance at a National Title. Kelly Bryant isn't it, and we had better figure it out soon enough. They didn't come back to piddle around for another year. They came back to win another Title for their school, and by gum we need to have the best QB that will win another title.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Overthrowing Renfrow on missed TD was sad.

Apr 15, 2018, 10:18 PM

Some of his other passes, even short passes, lacked zip.

If WRs can be wideopen, KB can probably get the ball to them more times than not. But if a crisp pass helps ensure a higher completion percentage in close coverage, Trevor and Hunter are have the clear edge.

If we want a running QB, KB has the clear edge.

I really hate to say this, but we might need a 2 QB system this year.

Re: Overthrowing Renfrow on missed TD was sad.

Apr 16, 2018, 5:34 PM

Some of his other passes, even short passes, lacked zip.

If WRs can be wideopen, KB can probably get the ball to them more times than not. But if a crisp pass helps ensure a higher completion percentage in close coverage, Trevor and Hunter are have the clear edge.

If we want a running QB, KB has the clear edge.

I really hate to say this, but we might need a 2 QB system this year.

Instead of a 2 QB system, run a 2 RB system, & move KB to RB. We would essentially have 2 QBs & 2RBs on the field while only using 3 men.

Still don't think KB gives us the best chance to be Champs

Apr 16, 2018, 7:56 AM

However, I've taken into consideration a couple of things that could have impacted KB's performance on Saturday.

1. He wasn't playing with a full and complete unit. As the natural starter, he's used to playing with a full line up of starters. That's makes huge difference when you have the cohesion and continuity of a set unit of players. It all boils down to trust at that point. He may hesitate on a pass to a WR or TE that doesn't have the ability or experience of some of the more trusted ones. That being said, he still over threw a wide open Hunter Renfrow twice. Both would have been touchdown passes had he connected.

2. Dabo made it to where KB was one dimensional with making QBs static or not "live". This took away his ability to keep a defense honest and open quick pass opportunities. However, any defense would be able to pick up on that and assign a spy to watch KB which would keep him honest. In other words, any opposing defense would only need a fairly decent secondary, and one good LB to shut down his offense.

With TL, HJ, or CB the risk of a deep ball threat is apparent. This causes defenses to spread out to cover receivers downfield. This in turn opens us up for a ground game threat. It eventually becomes a "pick your poison" scenario which is what we need to win championships. While taking even those two factors into consideration, my bottom line still remains the same. KB needs to be moved to another position. He's quick, tall, and should help us fill the gaps at DB.

~Chesty Puller

Re: Still don't think KB gives us the best chance to be Champs

Apr 16, 2018, 8:32 AM

great assessment. I was thinking the same thing where the split units were involved.

With the quarterbacks protected as they were it did take away his biggest skill which is his ability to make things happen with his legs which would loosen up an opposing defense to give him more open receivers. However he did miss 3 wide open receivers that would have been at worst a huge gain and most likely a touchdown.

it was obvious that the defense didn't respect his ability to throw compared to Chase Brice. When Brice was in there they had to defend the entire field and the running lanes were much more open for the running backs. Hopefully it was just a case being "amped" and overthrowing the receivers but as has been said before. The Senior QB who has played in the big games last season should be the one that can control his excitement and make the plays while the 2 Freshman and Sophomore are the ones missing out of excitement.

Apr 16, 2018, 8:37 AM

KB is tough. Expect Bryant to start, until he shows he can’t win. Just hope it doesn’t cost us an L in a regular season in which we should go undefeated. But it’s going to take more than a good D and KB to beat Bama or UGa.

Apr 16, 2018, 8:48 AM

KB2 is an awesome athlete but when it boils down he is a runner who throws and HJ15 and TL16 are QBs who can run. We you play touch football on QBs a run first QB is handicapped. KB2 makes plays happen with his legs much more often than his arm. I dont envy the decision coaches have to make this year I saw 4 very capable leaders on the field. I do believe Tee Higgins was the difference maker he really did his part to make HJ and TL look great.

Apr 18, 2018, 11:58 PM

I think that what Dabo and coaches saw in the spring game, it has all of them on the verge of going a different direction with our QB's. If it stays the way it is and was in the spring by the time the fall rolls around, we will see a different QB behind center!!!

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic