Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: From underdog to national power, Clemson is the "dream school" for today's prospects
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

New Story: From underdog to national power, Clemson is the "dream school" for today's prospects

May 14, 2018, 8:07 AM

From underdog to national power, Clemson is the "dream school" for today's prospects

The evolution of Clemson’s football program, from wanna-be national power to contender to national elite, is best viewed through the prism of recruiting. Not with the recruiting rankings, but with the recruits themselves. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: From underdog to national power, Clemson is the "dream school" for today's prospects

May 14, 2018, 8:19 AM

Very good read. Thanks for posting this DH. This is truly the best of times for the Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The best is yet to come."***

May 14, 2018, 8:49 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: From underdog to national power, Clemson is the "dream school" for today's prospects

May 14, 2018, 8:50 AM

I think the hardest thing for Clemson's coaches now, is making sure the elite prospects are Clemson men. Dabo has built a culture of hard work and dedication to your team. When 5* guys come knocking down your door it is sometimes hard to make a judgement and turn one of those guys down. The program is really special right now and if we can hold true to our identity it will continue to strengthen. A good team can beat great talent, elite talent can beat a good team, but build an elite team and you can beat anyone.

null

Shaq Smith and Hunter Renfrow

May 14, 2018, 9:05 AM

May be two of the best examples of fitting the 'Clemson Image' of the staff. One is a 5-star who has been a leader in his own right, yet is just now finding his way onto the field. He hasn't sulked, but continued to work. The other couldn't get an offer from Columbia (SC or Missouri, take your pick), but was resolute in his self-belief and desire to be a Tiger. The staff gave him a chance to 'bloom where he wanted to be planted'.

Let's be honest, very few players, regardless of stars, can do what Shaq and Hunter have done. That the staff finds players of such DNA is a credit to their philosophy and commitment to the direction of the program.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has tried to recruit quality of character...

May 14, 2018, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: From underdog to national power, Clemson is the "dream school" for today's prospects ]

for a long time it seems. Since Danny a coach's character was his greatest qualification. If you look back at the pitiful recruiting and development of talent we did starting with Hatfield you can see how we dug ourselves in the Tommy Bowden hole.

Dabo has always recruited quality character but he nipped away at talent and instituted training and development which has put up where we are now. It just took the right man with the right vision and confidence. We are fortunate to have a unique man head our program.

With the nurture of Jeff and Tony I believe Dabo has put Clemson in perpetual motion. I expect this to continue long after most of us are gone. What a wonderful way to end my life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson has tried to recruit quality of character...

May 14, 2018, 12:33 PM

Here Here!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson has tried to recruit quality of character...

May 14, 2018, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Clemson has tried to recruit quality of character... ]

I think that research shows that very frequently go hand in hand. I doesn't have to one or the other. Typically the most talented players are the ones with the most character. Two words illustrate this fact: "work ethic," something that is incredibly important in football. To play at this level, you've got to have talent. I think that you can develop ability if the basic ingredients are there. If not, all of the development in the world will not and can not create talent. Now that we have the "brand," why in the world would we not go after the top talent. You can train 8 hours a day, and how much are you going to increase your speed? Not much, if at all.

One thing that’s noticeable is our coaches aren’t trying

May 14, 2018, 9:06 AM

To get the highest star counts because if you look at the guys we are going after this year they are from multiple states and the majority are 3 or 4 stars and with where our program is we could easily seek out only 4-5 star guys.

This leads me to believe Dabo is still all about getting Clemson guys!! Championship caliber guys in all aspects of their lives that have been around our program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Our staff are the best at talent recognition and development

May 14, 2018, 9:26 AM

They find the diamonds in the rough to polish to greatness and take the players that are already diamonds and make them sparkle at their highest possible ability.

Think about it. When was the last time we got a player that was a complete and utter bust? From a recruiting standpoint FSU, Miami, UGA etc have higher rated players but the product on the field is behind ours because our staff recognize the Clemson men are willing to work harder, stay longer, and take more coaching then some others and that translates to wins moreso then the stars

Re: Our staff are the best at talent recognition and development

May 14, 2018, 11:17 AM

Explain our OL then.

May 14, 2018, 1:12 PM

Last year's OL was one of the best we have ever had! The OL did great except for one game against maybe the best front 7 in college football, definitely the best D in college football last year was Alabama
We also had depth on the OL last year, we often played 8 OL, sometimes more.

May 14, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Our staff are the best at talent recognition and development ]

I think that most of us realize that this (OL) has been a relative recruiting weakness for us---one that we really need to address.

May 14, 2018, 9:26 AM

It is definitely a great time to be a Tiger!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2018, 9:54 AM

My two boys, 8 & 12, don’t know of a bad season for the Tigers. These kids today are growing up in the Golden Age of Clemson & the future looks even brighter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still haven't forgotten the talking heads saying...

May 14, 2018, 10:35 AM

Clemson was wrong to fire Tommy Bowden. Not all did, but many did saying things like "Clemson is not an elite program and they should be satisfied (with Tommy Bowden)." Um, yeah, glad we weren't satisfied.

Re: I still haven't forgotten the talking heads saying...

May 14, 2018, 1:06 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's my belief, this could very well be the POTW post!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2018, 10:57 AM

Each time we go into Alabama for a head coach it's a homerun , #amirite ?

Dabo has crafted this thing from day 1 . Talk about having a vision and fleshing it out over time. If he were a CEO ( which he sort of is in a way ) his company would be at the top of the Fortune 500 ...having climbed up an impossible ladder as considered beforehand by naysayers.
The man has gotten Clemson into rarified air , and Danny had us in the same sort of realm but Dabo has just done him one better . Different times and different circumstances, but Swinney is on his own level now as a Clemson Football HC .

What a time to be a Tiger !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Please use commas. 1/2 of the time it took to read that

May 2, 2019, 10:59 AM

article was spent trying to figure out how many offers Brandon Streeter said were sent out.

(:

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please use commas. 1/2 of the time it took to read that

May 14, 2018, 2:51 PM

You must be a comma-nist! Yuk!

May 14, 2018, 12:27 PM

That is hitting the nail square on the head David. I say that bc, I have been a Clemson FB fan now for 56 very long years. I have dreamed many, many times about our Tigers becoming one of the elite where we are now, and honestly, I never thought or believed that I would see in my life time where we're at now today. For me, it's an absolute miracle that has come true, it's a prayer that has been answered, and I thank God for Dabo all the time, and I'm loving ever second of it, and I now believe what Dabo says all the time, "The Best Is Yet To Come"!!! The tingling that I get thinking about how good our FB program has become, sometimes causes happy tears to fall from my eyes. Dabo and his beliefs has been the savior for our Clemson Tiger FB program. I also silently thank Terry Don for seeing Dabo as the best choice at that time for our FB program!!!! Goooo Dabo!!!

May 14, 2018, 3:22 PM

I remember my sophomore ('79) year we were headed to South Bend to play mighty Notre Dame. My Dad who was a huge Purdue Fan, told me that Clemson would get steam-rolled. "No little ACC team is going to go to ND and win". Oh how far we have come.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic