Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OSU analysis after 3 games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

OSU analysis after 3 games

Oct 13, 2018, 3:44 PM

Ok after watching osu play TCU, penn st and now Minn here's what I see.

Haskins is the best passing qb they've had in a long time. He's an excellent rhythm passer with accuracy all over the field. He's slow as dirt and if you move him off his spot the ball tends to be late and high.

Their wrs are good.

OL is terrible. Their technique is abysmal and they're athleticism leaves something to be desired. Teams that can press the wrs will have tons of success with stunts and blitzes.

Rbs are good especially in pass protection. They dont break tackles as well as your typical osu team.

Defensively...

Corners are excellent. Fantastic technique and they blanket guys. Dont know how well they've really been challenged athletically with the exception of hamler on psu but they definitely dominate lesser talent.

Safeties are ok. Bite on the play action and over pursue in the run game.

Lbs ... ok I guess... they haven't stood out to me either way.

Dl is very bad in run defense. Like ... wow ...how are they starting for osu? Pass rush is pretty solid though.

Needless to say I'd like our chances in a playoff game with strong dline play and power rushing attack (Tigers -14)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OSU analysis after 3 games

Oct 13, 2018, 3:48 PM

I love us matching up with them. It would make the last 31-0 meeting look like a love tap.

Oct 13, 2018, 4:02 PM

I actually think it would be closer if we played them this year. Our offense would be able to put points on the board because of their mediocre run defense, and their pass defense isn't as good as it was in 2016. Defensively, we would have more trouble stopping them this year than in 2016 because of how much more balanced their offense is. They aren't great running the football this year compared to 2016, but they are in a completely different league throwing the football this year. Haskins is ten times the QB that JT Barrett was in terms of passing ability.

Beating a playoff team 31-0 is a rare feat. There's no doubt we were the better team in 2016, but I don't think we would consistently beat then by 31 points if we played them several times. of course that's all hypothetical, but I would predict that a Clem-OSU matchup would be more like 38-24 or something like that with us winning by a couple scores.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2018, 3:55 PM

It would be fun to play them in the CFP again. Herbie said early on in the season that their DL was the only one in the country as good as ours.. Haha

Oct 13, 2018, 3:56 PM

It would be fun to play them in the CFP again. Herbie said early on in the season that their DL was the only one in the country as good as ours.. Haha

Bahahahahahahaha

Oct 13, 2018, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: OSU analysis after 3 games ]

Their DL is great at rushing the passer, but they aren't nearly as good against the run as we are. Also, we have more quality depth than them this year compared to last year when they had a deeper DL. Their DL is undoubtedly one of the most talented in the country, especially when it comes to rushing the passer, but a line like ours is a once in a lifetime occurrence.

Oct 13, 2018, 4:46 PM

Minn averaged 9.5yds per pass play.
Their DL is no where close to ours.
Yes, their QB can throw, but he wouldn’t have time. Their OL sucks. We’d be in his face all game.

Oct 13, 2018, 4:50 PM

Agree with all the above, plus Haskins is not mobile. Hit him and he does indeed fold. TCU and Penn State had some early success with this, and OSU responded by throwing screens to what were admittedly some good pass-catching RB's (Dobbins in particular) but Penn State didn't respond well (or at all really) and blanket those screens. Somebody who does could really hurt them.

They've got some good components, but as you pointed out, some oddly bad ones too for an OSU team. Not quite sure what's up there. They definitely do not have have the D or the OL you'd associate with a typical OSU team.

Oct 13, 2018, 5:01 PM

OP, I think you’re a little too kind on your comments regarding their secondary. Also, don’t forget that Nick Bosa is presently absent, and that impacts the makeup of the unit.

Having said that, they do look like a hot mess right now. They are definitely not a cohesive unit. Urban looks, distracted, defeated, disinterested, I don’t know the word. The sum of their parts are definitely greater than the whole right now. OSU fans are very concerned at the moment.

Oct 13, 2018, 5:07 PM

Definite lacking any cohesion. Their worst game this season.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic