Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When debt surpasses GDP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 600

When debt surpasses GDP

Feb 22, 2021, 8:55 AM

what is the plan?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

happened 5-6 years ago.

Feb 22, 2021, 8:57 AM

Believe it may have happened during WWII too.

No plan that I can see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If things go well, we look like Japan. If they don't go

Feb 22, 2021, 9:15 AM

well, look at Venezuela.

Either way, our standard of living will decline at some point. Has to.

Read an interesting article the other day about inflation. It's happening, and in a big way, BUT it is limited to assets, not labor/income. Property, stocks, things like that have massive inflation, but things like gas, food, and other necessities are not having much inflation. It's happening mainly where debt is being leveraged the most, which isn't in salaries, or income, but much more in asset prices and valuations.

Best case is a prolonged period of stagflation, economic anemia, and we maintain our debt load throughout, but don't collapse. That's what has happened in Japan with their 200% GDP inflation, over time. We will probably go the same way since we will hopefully manage it in a similar way. Japan played our game back in the 80's and by the late 90's they had a reckoning. They played it too fast. We, on the other hand, have managed our economy much better and as such, we've played the game for 40 years now. SLOWLY going along the same road Japan went on in a decade or two.

Just look at historic GDP figures from any country on Earth. They all have peaks, valleys, and most move up and down regularly. NOW, take a look at the US. It's a chart unlike any other when it comes to GDP over the past 40 years. SOme countries have GDP spikes, much bigger than the US, and others have sharp declines. But no one has 40 years of steady increases. At the same time we've leveraged debt with slow decreases in interest rates. We've legislated deflationary policies to the hilt with free trade and illegal immigration.

Anyway, it is what it is. Let's just hope our debt bubble springs a leak, and doesn't pop. If we spend 40 more years letting it slowly deflate, that would be preferable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those Venezuelan sanctions are bound to hurt...***

Feb 23, 2021, 12:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When debt surpasses GDP

Feb 22, 2021, 9:15 AM

The key to putting our debt into its proper perspective is looking at debt as a % of GDP. We are just over 100% right now. There is a need to be concerned, but not any need to panic.

There are two ways to reduce this %.
1. pay down the debt
2. grow the economy (GDP)

If you look at the following chart, you can see that we had an even higher % after WW II. We never did pay down that debt - we grew the economy. I think that same process is the best way forward now. The money that we are about to spend on relief and stimulus is designed to help invigorate our economic recovery (and to keep Americans from having to suffer this downturn anymore than necessary)

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/government-debt-to-gdp#:~:text=Government%20Debt%20to%20GDP%20in,of%2031.80%20percent%20in%201981.&text=United%20States%20Gross%20Federal%20Debt%20to%20GDP%20%2D%20values%2C%20historical%20data,updated%20on%20February%20of%202021

Usually using a microeconomic example to explain a macroeconomic situation often leads to misunderstanding, but I am going to try this simple one to make a single point. When I went back to school to get my Master's degree, my debt increased to over 200% of my income (GDP). But the Master's degree lead to a significant increase in my income - and allowed me to reduce my debt % over time.

We are going to make an investment in our economy to help it grow - and reduce our debt %.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Referring to WWII shows the seriousness of the problem today

Feb 22, 2021, 11:10 AM

It then spiked above 100% for a short period, a year or so, for very specific reasons, and sharply came back down. Today we have a general trend upward for ideological reasons, the trend is upward, and there is not even a proposal for bringing it down.

The size of the debt is about the same as the entire money supply. To pay it off will cut the value of every dollar in half. The only question is how fast this happens. Inflation is already very high in the financial markets (money is worth very little there). It will come into goods and services.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What would Rush do?

Feb 22, 2021, 10:09 AM

Do the opposite?

Seriously....
Increase taxes to increase revenue.
Stimulate growth to increase revenue.
Cut government expenses to decrease expenditures.
All of the above

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of those options has never been done

Feb 22, 2021, 10:11 AM

in my lifetime.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of those options has never been done

Feb 22, 2021, 8:58 PM

there are eleven year olds who were not alive when the last budget was signed

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would Rush do?

Feb 22, 2021, 9:33 PM [ in reply to What would Rush do? ]

Your forgot Biden’s plan:
Increase taxes to stimulate growth

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of that will happen

Feb 22, 2021, 10:24 PM [ in reply to What would Rush do? ]

especially reduction of spending.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMF's got this...***

Feb 23, 2021, 12:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Iave Matthews Fand?***

Feb 23, 2021, 7:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Dominant arm of the World Bank... Everything's covered.***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:33 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 600
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic