Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is Wofford's basketball budget compared to ours?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

What is Wofford's basketball budget compared to ours?

Mar 22, 2019, 6:33 PM

There was someone in here last week comparing our basketball budget to other teams in the ACC and the conclusion was we were way behind compared to the rest of the ACC so our record is also lagging behind. So lets compare Wofford's budget. Its gotta be way less that ours yet they certainly look like a well coached team. Sure their 3 point shooters make them look pretty good but they also do NOT turn the ball over like we do and they play great defense. They actually teach blocking out in Spartanburg. Looks to me like they are much better coached than we are.

So what is Wofford's budget?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing's for sure - they sure do get a helll of a........

Mar 22, 2019, 6:41 PM

lot more for their money than we do or have.

Re: One thing's for sure - they sure do get a helll of a........

Mar 22, 2019, 6:42 PM

Blah blah blah blah

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem solved...what's next?

Mar 22, 2019, 6:53 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is Wofford's basketball budget compared to ours?

Mar 22, 2019, 7:10 PM

Jerry Richardson says hello

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously a lot more, and much better facilities

Mar 22, 2019, 7:40 PM

since they have a better team.

Re: Obviously a lot more, and much better facilities

Mar 22, 2019, 7:56 PM

Full disclosure: Slim chance they make the tournament if they have to play acc schedule.

Just saying.

Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:05 PM

If you can’t see the huge disadvantage we put ourselves in by spending far less on basketball compared to the rest of the ACC, I don’t know what to tell you.

But if a mid-major team that plays a ton of quad 3 and 4 teams all season impresses you, knock yourself out. Last time I checked, Wofford didn’t beat us this season or anytime lately.

They wouldn’t have won more than 6 or 7 games in the ACC this year, and that would be a best case scenario.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

To be fair, I don't think it's intelligent enough to be

Mar 22, 2019, 8:07 PM

snark...It came across as ignorant to me, trying to compare apples to oranges

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be fair, I don't think it's intelligent enough to be

Mar 22, 2019, 8:50 PM

Compare this.... if Wofford plays Clemson this year straight up who do you put money on?

My answer is not us. Maybe we should start recruiting shooters like Ja Morant.

oh please

Mar 22, 2019, 9:28 PM

nobody recruited ja morant. he was a diamond in the rough

Re: To be fair, I don't think it's intelligent enough to be

Mar 23, 2019, 7:16 AM [ in reply to To be fair, I don't think it's intelligent enough to be ]

Neither snarky or ignorant. If you can't see Wofford is better coached and better prepared than we are then I have nothing to discuss with you about Clemson Men's basketball and Brad Brownell. Plain and simple.

Then we have nothing to discuss.

Mar 23, 2019, 12:20 PM

Because I think we are well coached and well prepared, which is why we are competitive with teams more talented than we are while beating the teams (often handily) who have equal or lesser talent.

Wofford is a good team this year, but comparing their mid-major schedule and performance to ours is apples to oranges.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

so you are saying we are prepared enough to beat teams with

Mar 23, 2019, 12:58 PM

lesser talent... but not prepared to beat enough teams with more talent, which has clearly become the biggest issue in BB's tenure... 9 years later

and more money and support would change that?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is Brownell asking for and being told no

Mar 22, 2019, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing. ]

I see several posts about our lack of spending but no where have I heard Brownell ask for and Drad say no. And we may not have answers but has he asked for increased budget and told no? Has he asked for more money for coaches and told No?

Not meant to be a defense either way just curious

Mar 22, 2019, 8:14 PM

Why don't we spend more is coach being told no or not asking

I do believe they won at UNC last season and beat the gamecocks by 20 in Columbia this year

Mar 22, 2019, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing. ]

I honestly believe they would have a better record than Clemson this year if they played our schedule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But then again, if they were actually in the ACC

Mar 22, 2019, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing. ]

they'd most likely have better players than they do now. I'll say this. I dont think we go 21-0 in the SoCon. It was actually a great year for the league. Greensboro the #1 overall seed in the NIT with Furman making the field as well. What they accomplished this year was really special.

They are a good team and have had a great year.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:24 PM

I just don’t understand the point of the original post. Wofford’s success this year doesn’t have anything to do with Clemson.

Do you have an answer to my question***

Mar 22, 2019, 8:28 PM

I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:42 PM

Yes, Brad has repeatedly asked for various upgrades and enhancements to the program since he arrived. He has stated that he had no idea when he took the job that there were such significant issues within the program.

Brad asked for the facility upgrades when he was hired. He was told that he could have the new arena but he would have to raise the money. So he spent several years meeting with potential donors to raise the money. Once he met the fundraising goal, the plans suddenly changed from a new arena to renovations of the current arena.

He has lost several key assistants since he arrived. Some were logical, due to those assistants getting head coaching jobs. Others were lost because Clemson didn’t approve the requested salary raises necessary to keep them. Brad repeatedly asked for a higher budget for assistants and other positions on his staff. He finally got some of those approved two years ago.

He has also repeatedly asked for more support staff to help with recruiting visits, social media, and general program operations. As with the other issues, he has gotten some of this approved but not all of it.

It’s a constant battle to get anything for the basketball program. I do think DRad is more eager to support basketball, so I am cautiously optimistic based on the last couple of years that Clemson is perhaps interested in getting serious about basketball. It’s going to take a lot more though.

Our fans need to realize that their perception that we give our basketball program all that it needs is wrong. The amount we pay Brad, and the amount we spent on facility renovations, really isn’t that much compared to our peers (and not anywhere close to the top of the league). What’s worse is that many of our fans seem to expect an immediate return on the money spent for basketball. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.

Thank you and apologize for excuse comment

Mar 22, 2019, 8:46 PM

How do you know all of this

What assistants has Brad lost that weren't to

Mar 22, 2019, 8:55 PM [ in reply to I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks. ]

head coaching gigs? Wienecki was let go. But Riley, Grant and I can't remember the guy who left for Miss St all moved up. Bender followed Grant for an on court staffing position. Who am I missing?

Do you even bother to wipe your mouth when Brownlee is done?***

Mar 22, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Classy!***

Mar 22, 2019, 10:54 PM

Re: I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks.

Mar 22, 2019, 9:05 PM [ in reply to I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks. ]

I agree strongly with you post. I think more resources and higher pay for assistants is needed. I think Brad is a good coach who in many ways the conference screwed over with the scheduling. No home conference games during the week that started earlier than 9PM. Only one weekend game that started after noon. Terrible times to have strong home crowds which showed in attendance. Also the front loaded conference schedule put us in a hole. Those things combined with football season lasting until Jan 12 - the day of the parade - made for a late transition for fans.

This seems to happen every time we make a good run. With recruiting being finished before the tourney you get no benefit from it then we end up as a bridesmaid on numerous high level recruits. We must hope the transfer, the freshmen, and hopefully a grad transfer or two will help bridge the gap to some other top recruits.

I think once we get a couple of good recruits they will develop and stay at least three years and at that point you get even better. This is much like the UVA approach. We have to go this direction versus the Duke or UNC. Stay away from cheating, Graduate players, and hopefully reap some benefits from programs that have been cheating.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you think duke fans

Mar 22, 2019, 9:30 PM [ in reply to I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks. ]

want their AD to pour money into the football team? I dont think so. heck they are happy to win six games and go to the meineke car care bowl.

Yes, I think Duke fans want to be better at football.

Mar 22, 2019, 10:36 PM

Their athletic department has spent more money on football recently to improve their facilities, and it shows in their improved recruiting and on-field results.

I don't think their fans would want that money spent on football instead of basketball, but we can't assume that it's either-or. I don't think it's either-or at Clemson either.

Q: Do you feel like these past transgressions on the part of

Mar 23, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks. ]

Clemson's AD in regards to basketball funding and support is why CBB led a more talented team this year (with relatively decent pre-season expectations for a change) to the NIT instead of back to the NCAA tourney? Is this lack of support why CBB pulls the Surrender Cobra look when calls don't go in our favor like CTB used to do with his face wipe when things were going south on the field for him?

Interesting to note: Dabo had a $900,000 salary in his first full year as head football coach in 2009. Brad had a $900,000 salary in his first year as head coach when he joined one year later in 2010. Today Dabo is making roughly 10x that initial amount, while Brad is at roughly 2x.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

please post a link, or something tangible to these claims

Mar 23, 2019, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I have answered this question at least a dozen times here in the last few weeks. ]

that BB is not getting what he needs... or that he has been denied things. I am not doubting you, but you post it with such conviction that would like to see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judge, if we spend so little...

Mar 22, 2019, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing. ]

On basketball why did Zion indicate when he visited Clemson and UNC, that Clemson's new practice facility is better than UNC's current one?

Also, Brad was able to hire two new assistants that added to his current staff?

Those figures you saw on rating budgets are so out of date. Tell me when you see up to date 2019...

He apparently doesn't have answers just excuses***

Mar 22, 2019, 8:40 PM

If you kept up here, you would’ve seen that I have answered

Mar 22, 2019, 8:44 PM

your question multiple times lately.

But nonetheless, I answered it again for you above.

Also if you've ever been to Cameron it's a #### hole

Mar 22, 2019, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Judge, if we spend so little... ]

No ac, small, cheap seating. Duke is Duke due to coaching and past tradition

Google the Michael Krzyzewski Center at Duke

Mar 23, 2019, 12:38 PM

Gorgeous, state-of-the-art 56,000 square foot dedicated basketball player/coach facility that opened in 2008.

Players do not care about the age or appearance of the arena.

They only care that it is full every game.

And fans of Duke know that Cameron is a special place and they would never call for changes.

Duke has it all and their basketball program results show it ... just like Clemson’s football facilities are an illustration of where we are.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It has been better the last couple of years.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Judge, if we spend so little... ]

The facilities, plus the new staff positions you mentioned, are definitely encouraging.

Re: Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing.

Mar 23, 2019, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Snarky posts like this accomplish nothing. ]

Neither snarky or ignorant. If you can't see Wofford is better coached and better prepared than we are then I have nothing to discuss with you about Clemson Men's basketball and Brad Brownell. Plain and simple.

Wofford spent $1.6 mil on basketball in 2017

Mar 22, 2019, 9:11 PM

Re: Wofford spent $1.6 mil on basketball in 2017

Mar 22, 2019, 11:28 PM

Not doubting but where did you find the Wofford budget?

I thought with us being private that the information was not released

Re: Wofford spent $1.6 mil on basketball in 2017

Mar 23, 2019, 12:27 AM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic