Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hipps Family Sues Sigma Phi Ep and Clemson University [LINK]
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 4,488

Hipps Family Sues Sigma Phi Ep and Clemson University [LINK]

Mar 30, 2015, 6:31 PM

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/28653826/tucker-hipps-family-files-lawsuit-against-fraternity-university

I hope Sigma Phi Epsilon gets crushed, but mostly every individual on that run who knew SOMETHING and didn't say anything to authorities.

If you were involved in something wrong, you're wrong.
If you saw something wrong happen and you kept your mouth shut, you're wrong.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hipps Family Sues Sigma Phi Ep and Clemson University [LINK]

Mar 30, 2015, 6:37 PM

sad thing is no matter what happens only attorneys will win here

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

indeed...sad, but true

Mar 30, 2015, 7:05 PM

the mrs asked me about what the lawsuit 'means'....

my response was 'right now it just means they found an attorney willing to take their case'

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope the individuals responsible for his murder are

Mar 30, 2015, 6:38 PM

brought to justice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: I hope the individuals responsible for his murder are

Mar 30, 2015, 6:39 PM

Definitely. As far as I'm concerned, no fraternity member on that run should still be enrolled at Clemson.

you make a huge assumption

Mar 30, 2015, 7:07 PM [ in reply to I hope the individuals responsible for his murder are ]

to call it murder

just as plausible that it was just an accident

sounds legit.***

Mar 30, 2015, 7:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Ahh yes...a coverup for an accident. That makes sense.***

Mar 30, 2015, 7:38 PM

Read the #### lawsuit, tarhole.

Mar 30, 2015, 8:45 PM [ in reply to you make a huge assumption ]

BUT that would be too much like classwork and since you went to UNCheat, you're most likely not accustomed to such a task.

But, just in case you're not the typical UNCheat Tarfuck, here you go:
http://www.lmgcorporate.com/whns/news/docs/Complaint.Wrongful%20Death.pdf

Text messages that say "don't tell Katie (his girlfriend), she'll call his parents," yeah...just one big accident.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't think you know the definition of 'murder'

Mar 30, 2015, 9:33 PM

but that shouldn't surprise me

I hope that the truth comes out and that any of the scumbags

Mar 30, 2015, 6:41 PM

who had anything to do with it or withheld anything at all pay a heavy price.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Very sorry for the tragedy that befell this young man & his

Mar 30, 2015, 6:49 PM

family. His parents must be beside themselves with grief..... Also very sorry for the blackeye Clemson University will suffer as a result of the negative publicity...even though the University has strict rules regarding hazing.

And if any of those out on this early morning run with Mr. Hipps were responsible for the young man's death and didn't advise authorities immediately, I trust the penalty will be pretty severe.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Clemson wound up suing this national fraternity either.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've jumped off that bridge

Mar 30, 2015, 7:06 PM

Did it when I was a stupid Freshman. It would be very easy to jump into too shallow water near the edge and hit rocks. No way anyone could fall off it or even be thrown off it unless you had already climbed up. I obviously don't know what happened but it seems plausible that there was no malicious act that occurred here. Just a horrible accident

absolutely plausible

Mar 30, 2015, 7:13 PM

that it was an accident

now whether there was actionable negligence that led to the accident? that's the big question

There's no doubt that it was an accident

Mar 30, 2015, 7:13 PM [ in reply to I've jumped off that bridge ]

I don't think anyone believes that the "brothers" of Sig Ep maliciously threw the kid over the railing with the intent of killing him. Being an accident doesn't absolve the members there of any wrongdoing. Even if Hipps jumped off of his own accord that doesn't absolve the fraternity from covering THAT up for what? 6 months now? All to protect themselves. Its despicable and those covering it up are the worst kind of human beings alive.

There's little chance the parents "win" this lawsuit...

Mar 30, 2015, 10:18 PM

All the stuff about being ordered to buy biscuits, hazing, not notifying the police immediately, etc. doesn't show a negligent act that directly contributed to Hipps' death.

They basically admit in their complaint Hipps jumped off the bridge into shallow water voluntarily, without being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. That's pretty significant contributory negligence.

Unless they have evidence Thomas King physically forced him off the bridge, which if that's the case the DA should be charging him with murder, they don't really have hope of accomplishing anything except making a lot of people look like a bunch of a$$holes.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just never know what a jury might do....

Mar 31, 2015, 8:07 AM

so to even remotely suggest that there's little chance the parents "win" this lawsuit would be imprudent.

In court, it's not always about right and wrong. Often times, it has more to do with who has the best or most convincing attorney.

Frankly, I really don't think anything malicious took place, but even if the young man jumped off the bridge voluntarily, that does not relieve those present of the responsibility of properly reporting what may have been nothing more than a tragic accident.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What is said is:

Mar 31, 2015, 7:52 PM [ in reply to There's little chance the parents "win" this lawsuit... ]

"54. Upon information and belief, Defendent King and Tucker had a confrontation over the pledges' failure to bring the requested McDonald's breakfast.

55. Subsequently, Tucker went over the railing of the bridge into the shallow waters of Lake Hartwell head first."

That does not say he willingly went over the edge. The rest of your post, fine, but at no point do they even imply that Tucker willingly jumped off the bridge.

did you jump head first?***

Mar 30, 2015, 11:37 PM [ in reply to I've jumped off that bridge ]

Re: I've jumped off that bridge

Mar 30, 2015, 11:51 PM [ in reply to I've jumped off that bridge ]

Article made it seem like it was normal to make them jump and swim to shore...that's pretty ignorant and could be malicious if you ask me....after waking the kid up all night and not letting him sleep over some d@mn mcds bfast.... douchnozzles hope they pay for it

Mar 30, 2015, 7:16 PM

If more than one person knew something, the police would have know it within a day of the accident.

I think you underestimate just how far

Mar 30, 2015, 7:20 PM

members of a fraternity would go in order to protect the fraternity.

Re: I think you underestimate just how far

Mar 30, 2015, 7:25 PM

I think you over estimate "the brotherhood" of some group of 18-22 year old college kids. They would sing like birds.

Not when they're concerned about implicating themselves***

Mar 30, 2015, 7:27 PM

Re: Not when they're concerned about implicating themselves***

Mar 30, 2015, 7:33 PM

A detective worth a #### and with that many people on that run would have had those punks pissing their pants and looking to blame the other guy.

Re: In a New York minute.***

Mar 30, 2015, 7:41 PM

Re: Not when they're concerned about implicating themselves***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Not when they're concerned about implicating themselves*** ]

Yea but that particular detective is probably working the rock vandalism

I just don't see what the kids could be covering up

Mar 30, 2015, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Hipps Family Sues Sigma Phi Ep and Clemson University [LINK] ]

Are they saying they saw the accident and just left him there? And then proceeded to go about the day like nothing happened. I just don't believe that. The CPD would have found something with all the interrogations that took place. Sometimes no one is to blame.

Mar 30, 2015, 7:43 PM

These are 18-22 year old young men from good family backgrounds. No one murdered anyone and no one would have covered it up. Fraternity boys might try to cover up someone drinking underage at a party but never a matter as serious as this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Even at the detriment to their beloved fraternity?***

Mar 30, 2015, 7:46 PM

LOL!***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Hipps Family Sues Sigma Phi Ep and Clemson University [LINK] ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

it appears they knew he was missing and covered it up

Mar 31, 2015, 8:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Hipps Family Sues Sigma Phi Ep and Clemson University [LINK] ]

If true, why would you do that if you're not guilty of something?
Also, if true and the coroner believes he did not die instantly then to me it could be manslaughter or worse.

If what is in the lawsuit is proved true those young "men" don't want me on the jury.

if you want to read the actual law suit, here's a link

Mar 30, 2015, 7:47 PM

http://www.foxcarolina.com/link/737180/hipps-file-wrongful-death-lawsuit

Read it yourself, #######.***

Mar 30, 2015, 8:50 PM

Really? Come on.***

Mar 30, 2015, 9:29 PM

Why would anybody join a fraternity?

Mar 30, 2015, 8:56 PM

Go get your own ### mcdonalds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would anybody join a fraternity?

Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 PM

Heard McDonald's is gonna start running breakfast all day

The Burden of Proof is a LOT less in a Civil Case than

Mar 31, 2015, 4:24 PM

a Criminal Case. The phone and texting part may speak volumes. If someone witnessed one of them shinning a light in the lake then that could mean a lot to the Jury

Some people are capable of thinking on their own, others

Mar 31, 2015, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Why would anybody join a fraternity? ]

have to join a frat

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2015, 8:14 PM

I cannot believe some of the posts that I am reading....how can you defend these boys who have lied over and over about what happened to "their fraternity brother" ??? Deleted texts, lying to the girlfriend regarding his where abouts to buy time, changing your phone number......this whole thing has been fishy from the beginning. Unfortunately, these parents were forced to file this suit to get answers. My thoughts and prayers are with all that are involved, but especially Tucker's family.

I graduated in 1984 - and was a 4-year member of Sig Ep

Mar 31, 2015, 9:31 PM

Very sad to read about the death of this young man with his whole life ahead of him and this current subset of Sig Eps and their modus operandi.

We had all kinds of guys back in the day: jocks, brains, normal, crazy, clean-cut and motley crew, and possibly a few bad apples, but there were no morning runs, no real hazing, and our frat leaders tended to be semi-rational benevolent dictators (considering they were 21-22 yrs old). As pledges, we did not routinely run errands for older brothers, and we sure as hell did not pay for their food and sundries. If a task, chore, or request seemed unreasonable (because in life there always seems to be wanna-be bullying jacka$$es in many clubs or organizations), we could bounce it off other members or a senior fraternity brother who would provide rational guidance and run interference for new younger members. When all else failed, I never had a hard time telling others to stick it, but I realize not everyone can do that.

Maybe the world has changed. Maybe this is the result of some bad apples and the parent's case absolutely makes it sound like it. And there is no acceptable reason why this young man should be dead over the dumb-aSS demands and behavior set forth in the case (which seems to include inputs from some Sig Ep pledges and brothers).

All that said, I do not agree with Clemson University being sued. I understand but am ambivalent to the national fraternity being sued. I cannot see what happens in Clemson being cause for a suit against fraternity members in California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas or elsewhere. As for the specific young men who caused this nightmare, if and when found guilty, there is no penalty harsh enough, and they should own it with the full truth coming out in court, and hard-time in the state pen, and wage garnishment for their entire life and that will not be enough. Agree with MarineOne about right and wrong. Do the right thing, treat people right ... something went very wrong at this fraternity house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 4,488
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic