Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
can someone explain why we paid TB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,538

can someone explain why we paid TB

Jan 20, 2014, 8:13 AM

After he resigned? If he truly resigned and opted out on his contract then why did we have to pay him? I don't know much about this kind of stuff so can someone please explain

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They paid him to go away.***

Jan 20, 2014, 8:13 AM

Re: They paid him to go away.- Right after Barker

Jan 20, 2014, 8:15 AM

meddled and gave him an extension so he wouldnt go to Arkansas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: can someone explain why we paid TB

Jan 20, 2014, 8:28 AM

Being paid for years after he left kinda says what really happen. He got his #### fired for not firing Bubble screen I believe!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Board gave the CEO a raise, then used it as a comp for

Jan 20, 2014, 8:29 AM

their own raise. It's the 'Corporate Way'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

one of the ALL TIME BONEHEAD moves in Clemson history!

Jan 20, 2014, 9:16 AM

Barker trying to do someone elses job while they were nappin'

Re: one of the ALL TIME BONEHEAD moves in Clemson history!

Jan 20, 2014, 2:58 PM

and an 8 yr extension for Blabo for losing 5 yrs.in a row to the Coots and going 3-9 against Fla St and USuc is the second biggest all time BONEHEAD moves in Clemson history !

No matter the reason, We are better off***

Jan 20, 2014, 9:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No matter the reason, We are better off- Yep

Jan 20, 2014, 9:44 AM

CTB was a good guy but you are correct. It seems to have worked out much better than the track we were on. It almost felt like it was beginning to turn the other way for CTB

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2014, 10:11 AM

Bowden did some good things, but he had reached his ceiling in terms of what he could accomplish at Clemson IMO. At the end of the day, the alumni/fans expectations exceeded his capabilities. So he was fired, and the powers that be thought Dabo was a better alternative. (which I think has proven to be correct)

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar scenario occurs in South Carolina in the near future with Steve Spurrier. I don't see them getting any better than they were this year. Now that they have seen the good ole days… anything less than that won't be acceptable. A loss to Clemson next year could be huge for both programs.

Jan 20, 2014, 10:35 AM

> Bowden did some good things, but he had reached his
> ceiling in terms of what he could accomplish at
> Clemson IMO. At the end of the day, the alumni/fans
> expectations exceeded his capabilities. So he was
> fired, and the powers that be thought Dabo was a
> better alternative. (which I think has proven to be
> correct)
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if a similar scenario occurs
> in South Carolina in the near future with Steve
> Spurrier. I don't see them getting any better than
> they were this year. Now that they have seen the
> good ole days… anything less than that won't be
> acceptable. A loss to Clemson next year could be
> huge for both programs.

There's SOME truth in what you post, but the SOS thing is not that simple. Spurrier is not Frank McGuire. He's so well connected with the media that USC could never 'pull a McGuire' by forcing him out if the wins go downhill. That scenario is unlikely to happen, anyway, since he's stated publically that he'll quit when he stops having fun and having fun for him is double-digit winning seasons every year. We'll see.

So you're saying this is the year...? That's how I see it.***

Jan 20, 2014, 10:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a negotiated settlement between the parties.

Jan 20, 2014, 10:15 AM

All reports indicate that Tommy was given an ultimatum after the Wake debacle in 2008 that he had to win the ACC THAT YEAR or he was going to be let go. Tommy decided that maybe walking away right then and there would be better for both parties (Clemson can move on, focus on the next guy, start recruiting, etc, and Tommy can hit the golf course rather than turn himself inside out to go after something he probably thought was a pipe dream). So the decision was made to pay him $3.5 million of his buy-out and part ways.

You guys act like TDP and Barker were such fools for agreeing to this but I promise you that Bowden didn't walk into TDP's office and say "I QUIT! Now...let's discuss my buy-out." It would be a discussion. "Look TDP...I think the ACC Championship is out of reach with where I am with this team. Let's discuss an immediate change so that Clemson can start the process with the next coach. What could we do with my buy out?" Blah blah blah.

The alternative is for TB to say "Nothing? Okay...I'll stay on until the end of the season and then you can fire me and pay me $4 million (his buyout if we fired him at the end of 2008). By the way, the team is almost certainly going to tank hard this year with me at the helm and you're going to lose a ton of recruiting momentum and maybe a chance at some other coaches while I limp along as a lame duck coach...up to you."

Further, I like the idea of sending TDP in to negotiate with the next coach after leaving TB with NO money on a technicality. THAT'S the institution that a guy with options chooses to work for.

TB was a good coach and a good guy. We parted on good terms at the right time. I wish people would stop trying to vilify him, or TDP, or Barker. All parties handled it well and we're much better off today for it.

null

Re: It was a negotiated settlement between the parties.

Jan 20, 2014, 10:23 AM

Agreed.

I think many South Carolina fans like to make a big deal out of it, but the reality is that both parties walked away on good terms. It did set Clemson football back in the short term. (in terms of leaving Clemson with a thin recruiting class and a head coach that lacked head coaching experience for the last 4/5 years) Unfortunately that has helped South Carolina football for the last 5 years. However, I think it was the right decision for all involved over the long term.

Re: It was a negotiated settlement between the parties.

Jan 20, 2014, 10:25 AM

and we should see both Dabo & Clemson begin to reap the benefits of that decision moving forward.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,538
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic