Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU

Dec 22, 2019, 2:47 PM

"They’re talented, they’re deep and they play really hard. This team is a monster.” I am an OSU fan who has lurked here and have seen a lot of confidence by Clemson fans. Clemson does have a very good team and will be a difficult opponent for OSU. However, I think many here have underestimated OSU. Will add that Clemson is playing substantially better than at the time the scout made his comments. Would also add that another scout joked this year "Who is OSU's next opponent, the Cicago Bears?", but I couldn't find link.
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-case-for-ohio-state-at-no-1-nfl-scouts-point-to-talent-gap-ohio-state-would-definitely-beat-clemson-035122866.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9zYXR1cmRheXRyYWRpdGlvbi5jb20vb2hpby1zdGF0ZS1mb290YmFsbC9uZmwtc2NvdXRzLWltcHJlc3NlZC1ieS1vaGlvLXN0YXRlLXRoaXMtdGVhbS1pcy1hLW1vbnN0ZXIv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGZGcLSi0qRlDENMdNjnCGa2qf0AjqPTMQzCWRFpy82mBkTniItDp2nBnro8UsQt6pN7i3k52_OpfPM5UyzSbkLtBoCjTJ_2EYTtFVTVYmL15nG-hDqZrzDFk0gXf7V-avMrBG_TnKoTd9oSGqcsodoMBhoMyvyUBs1rfMePcb-B

It is kind of funny for some posters here to say that OSU lacks speed. Zach Harrison, OSU's reserve defensive end,is 6' 4", 240 lbs and runs a legit 4.45 forty. Fields runs about the same. Last year at the NFL combine, the fastest receiver was Parris Cambpell at 4.31. I believe McLaurin was second at 4.35.

In event didn't see Clemson play much this year and am not trolling. Hope to learn something by posting here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the dude that said Dabo was a D+ hire

Dec 22, 2019, 2:52 PM

he was wrong

Clemson's struggling offense is a concern...yet we are #3 in total offense and #4 in scoring offense and nobody plays as many players as we do

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's the dude that said Dabo was a D+ hire

Dec 22, 2019, 2:56 PM

Your qualifications and why is the scout wrong.

We are used to it. This is only the second playoff game ever

Dec 22, 2019, 3:00 PM

that we have been favored to win. The only other time was ND and we beat the snot out of them.

I happen to be an expert in Clemson football and know far more about Clemson than any NFL scout.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's the dude that said Dabo was a D+ hire

Dec 23, 2019, 1:54 AM [ in reply to Re: That's the dude that said Dabo was a D+ hire ]

really, that's what you do? you barge into a room hoping to get some validation from strangers to make yourself feel better and end up demanding qualifications from people?

WTH? Man, Ohio must just be full of sucky people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Charlie Bauman says hello***

Dec 22, 2019, 2:56 PM [ in reply to That's the dude that said Dabo was a D+ hire ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU

Dec 22, 2019, 2:53 PM

Define 'learn something'... ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is speed of team and not just one person

Dec 22, 2019, 3:09 PM

You will find out the overall speed of the team better and Lawrence is a magician and he puts a good zip on the ball.
I don’t think u can cover our receivers with our QB as a threat for
Run and ETN.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Scooter said it best

Dec 22, 2019, 2:54 PM

I know it's hard for you guys to swallow, but THIS is TRUE !!!!

the sport has left the Rust/Snow Belt schools behind. Beefy, plodding, power football of the North and Midwest is on its last breath. Michigan. Penn State. Nebraska. Notre Dame. Ohio State is the last one left with the lights on. Anyone with eyes sees their neighbor schools dying a slow death. Oh, they look good playing amongst themselves, matched speed and schemes. The media tries as much as they can to prop them up and overrate them every season, but it's a lost cause. Southern football has the recruits, the high school competition, the athletic talent, the weather for year-long workouts....and the success. Ohio St. is hanging in there, they've got a couple Nattys this century, and I give them high marks for keeping up. But how much longer?

When is the last time a school (other than OSU) located above I-40 won a National Championship? (FYI I-40 runs coast-coast through Raleigh, Nashville, Oklahoma to Cali). You have to go back to 1997, when Nebraska/Michigan split it. Nearly 25 years. Think about THAT. OSU is all that remains.

But the clock is ticking. It's inevitable. Like Army, Princeton, Notre Dame. Ohio State is on the list. Their kindred are already there. Ask a Nebraska fan.

Re: Scooter said it best

Dec 22, 2019, 3:01 PM

When talking about poorly performing schools, you may want to consider the ACC other than Clemson. The Big Ten is a much better conference than the ACC.

LOL, Slowa$$$$ed BIG10 team are funny.

Dec 22, 2019, 3:22 PM

Clemson doesn't hang on conference nuts like Buckeyes do . LOL

FSU won the 2015 title (2014 season). FSU and Miami both

Dec 22, 2019, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

just need the right coach, because Florida is loaded with talent enough for both of them, plus Clemson, and 4-5 SEC teams.

Off a year, 2014 title, 2013 season. You guys won in 2015.***

Dec 22, 2019, 3:24 PM

No it's not

Dec 22, 2019, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

They have a better hype machine.

Minnesota=Virginia

Re: No it's not

Dec 22, 2019, 5:11 PM

True that Minnesota = Virginia

Also true that the flowing are > than Minnesota and the 'Hoos

- Michigan (by a lot)
- PSU (by a lot)
- Wisconsin (by a little)

I will say that while the Big10 is heavier at the top it is also heavier at the bottom. Rutgers, Northwestern, and Maryland ...just sad. Very sad. Tremendously sad. They say those are some sad schools. Not big beautiful programs..but sad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No it's not

Dec 22, 2019, 10:23 PM [ in reply to No it's not ]

Lest we forget, last season, Duke beat down Northwestern 21-7. The same NW that was in the Extra Large 14 Championship game. Duke I believe finished 3rd in the Coastal last season. So, yes, would Ohio St likey whip most of the ACC? Absolutely. However I'm pretty sure a large portion of the ACC would run a train on Northwestern, Nebraska, Sparty, Illinois etc. Iowa is decent until they play a team with a pulse, as is TTUN and Wisco. But hey, we play nobody lol.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2019, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

You’re wrong about that. B1G is truly the worst overall conference in the country, but the names Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State & Nebraska bring viewership. That’s why the teams are typically over ranked. Ohio State is better in the conference because of the difference in the athletes they can recruit from the lines opened up in the south by Urban Meyer because of his time at UF. The problem is when OSU meets teams with like/better talent, they get crushed (even when Meyer was there). This narrative is going to ring true again in December 28. Clemson’s (TRUE) depth, team speed & coaching is going to overwhelm OSU.

wow***

Dec 22, 2019, 6:57 PM

Dec 22, 2019, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

Just got done watching the wake forest game. Score was 17-3 with around one minute left in the second before wake through a pick and Clemson scores quick. Wake forest was without both their leading receivers this game and I think I watched wake throw the ball a total of four times the entire first half. Clemson didn't look overly impressive that first half on either side of the ball until the last minute or so. Don't get me wrong I've watched several other Clemson games and their good but definerly not invincible. Also I've been watching carmon Jackson and he doesn't look as good as I thought he'd be. It'll be an interesting matchup when chase young lines up against him but I assume osu will move him around alot to confuse TL. Should be a good game. Also your best OT is from ohio

Dec 22, 2019, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

Rutgers says hello.

Without a QB from Georgia where would OSU be this year?

Dec 22, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Scooter said it best ]

Probably not in the playoff. The power of CFB has been shifting south for quite a while.

Dec 22, 2019, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Scooter said it best ]

Good analysis the bucks been poaching players from the south and out west to keep themselves relevant.

Dec 22, 2019, 10:19 PM

Just like Clemson poached the 2nd best OT from ohio a few years ago. Works both ways buddy. Your entire team is not from your state or from the south for that matter.

What point are you trying to make? If it wasnt for the NCAA

Dec 22, 2019, 10:32 PM

afraid to deny Fields’ grievance to play right away, i doubt you’d be in the playoff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What point are you trying to make? If it wasnt for the NCAA

Dec 23, 2019, 1:57 AM

you forgot to call the nice boy Buddy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

2nd best? Try again. He was the #1 player in Ohio.

Dec 23, 2019, 4:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

Either way he is an OT and we do not rely heavily on recruits from up north unlike OSU who relies heavily on recruits from the south. That is a fact.

#2 OT nationwide and #1 player from Ohio

Dec 23, 2019, 5:33 AM

Ohio St got the #1 rated OT - Nicholas Petit-Frere 3th team tackle was second team earlier in the year and was close to being a starter

Dec 22, 2019, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Scooter said it best ]

I would feel a hell of a lot more comfortable having to rely on Ohio for recruiting than South Carolina, I can tell you that.

You have a lot more people. Per capita Ohio does not produce like SC.

Dec 22, 2019, 10:02 PM

OSU is the only major football school in a heavily populated state. You have no instate rivals in recruiting. Be a realist and just admit that the south has the better players and that if OSU didn’t poach players out of the south they would not be a national power in the current football landscape.

https://floridahsfootball.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3648-nfl-players-per-state-per-capita-southeast-is-king/

Dec 22, 2019, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Scooter said it best ]

I would take SC, GA, NC, and FLA over every state combined in the NE and MidWest. You are a fool man.

Not to get technical but truly believe both teams are virtually even Steven overall..

Dec 22, 2019, 2:54 PM

and it's gonna be a tremendous display of talent & effort til the end.

Saying..a Barnburner!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ But Tigers Win in a close one!

Dec 22, 2019, 2:56 PM

Go TiGERS..ROCK!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OSU is a great team, plenty of talent

Dec 22, 2019, 3:00 PM

That article was written while Clemson was on bye after the UNC game, so not surprised the opinion is pessimistic about the offense, it was (like in past years) slow to start the year.

Clemson

Do not watch Clemson's games.

Dec 22, 2019, 3:01 PM

You'll learn much more tuning in to ESPiN and listening to the talking heads than you will watching Clemson's game.

Do not go to Youtube and search for Clemson games. If you do you'll watch them and learn nothing.

Do now watch Clemson games, it will spoil Christmas so don't risk it. Watch the Heisman trophy award ceremony and you'll learn all you need to know about Clemson.

Do not watch Clemson's games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Word to the wise

Dec 22, 2019, 3:03 PM

A great deal of what you see on here is joking around and trying to get a reaction from opposing fans. I don’t think many of us are taking OSU lightly.

My honest opinion is that both defenses will have their hands full but Clemson will come out on top. We’ve beaten several “invincible” teams loaded with NFL talent with media drooling all over them the last few years. I know for a fact that we have not fully opened the offensive playbook yet. Our coaches admitted that they did not fully open the playbook until the playoff last year. If you don’t follow Clemson closely then you don’t know that. If history is any indication you will see a different Clemson team in the postseason than what you have seen this regular season. It is going to be one heck of a ball game but like I said I like Clemson in this matchup. I especially like our offense over your defense.

Dec 22, 2019, 3:06 PM

We'll see what's what in 6 days.

Dec 22, 2019, 3:07 PM

Obviously y'all are not slow and see very talented. Y'all haven't been here before and we have tho. It should be a great game and in excited to face a team with as much talent as we have. I think we win by 10 but the spread is probably about right. Should come down to the 4th quarter.

Dec 22, 2019, 3:11 PM

It's fun for fans and outsiders to talk about matchups, especially during the college football season. But, talk and opinions don't win football games. If you're really interested in "learning something" I'd simply tune into the game on the 28th.

If Clemson wins we won't be surprised. Our fanbase has grown accustomed to winning these types of games.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our offense has nine starters from last year team that

Dec 22, 2019, 3:15 PM

Scored 44 on bama which was touted as the best team
Ever.
Enough said!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Dec 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

Oh you'll learn something . Just tune in Saturday night , as Dabo Swinney and the Clemson Tigers put on a short clinic on how to not poke a bear .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 22, 2019, 3:25 PM

OSU is very good and the only team that can match up with clemson on both sides of the ball statistically. Having said that, OSU does not throw the ball well enough to consistently move the ball against us. Venables will be able to man up the WRs and keep the running game to a minimum.

Clemson doesn’t have to stop OSU just slow them down. We will score points and our depth will pull away in the second half. I think OSU is a better team than LSU due to a solid offense and defense. However neither matches up in all areas vs clemson.

null

Dec 22, 2019, 3:35 AM

In 2016, OSU had NFL talent littered all over the field. OSU had raw numbers over Clemson too regarding roster talent. But, and it is a big but, Clemson has DW4 and Cle. Not all NFL talent is created equal. Same story here. Sure, Young is absolutely legit. But TLaw, Tee, Simmons are elite. TLaw and Simmons will be the difference IMO. But, I’m not an NFL scout either...

Dec 22, 2019, 6:32 PM

While there was NFL talent everywhere, Ohio State was also the youngest team in college football in 2016. We were truly inept offensively all season and our OC was awful. Point being Ohio State matches up much better this year and will present much more of a challenge to Clemson.

In my opinion, the Clemson offense is elite. They'll get their points. But the big unknown in this game is whether you'll stop the Ohio State run. I think your front 7 is untested and far less formidable than 2016 CU.

Dec 22, 2019, 3:45 PM

Thanks for stopping by. Teams are pretty evenly matched. Both teams have a supreme talent advantage among everyone we’ve played this year, as evidenced by draftees and recruiting rankings of the past several years. Vegas thinks we are slightly better - think the line was Clemson -2 last time I checked.

As a Clemson fan, it’s really hard for us to fear a matchup against anyone this time of year. OSU is a great team but has failed to cover the spread three of the last four games. Clemson on the other hand does the same thing every year. We start out slow and clunky using a super vanilla playbook because we rotate so many young guys. Then we always improve over the course of the year. Right about this time of year we start curb-stomping opponents. Ask Urban Meyer, ask Alabama, Notre Dame, LSU, Georgia, Auburn (4x), Oklahoma (2x).

Dabo plays for January, not for style points in September. I’ve been a die hard Clemson fan since I stepped foot on campus in 1998. We’ve had some unbelievable teams under Dabo Swinney. The teams under Deshaun Watson were devastating, but I’ve never had this strong a feeling about any other Clemson team that we’re hitting on all cylinders entering post season play.

Time will tell, but if you ask me, this Dabo Swinney team is about to curb stomp our next two opponents, going 30-0, winning our third title in four years. Time will tell.

Dec 22, 2019, 4:19 PM

What many here are missing is that OSU finished up the year playing 3 tough teams, including winning second game against Wisconsin, which is difficult to do.Clemson hasn't played anyone tough. Where OSU looked sloppy on defense, 2 important players were out. Shaun Wade a very good, 5 star DB who has the most multiple responsibilities in db backfield against Michigan. Okudah, first half against Wisconsin in conference tittle game. (Second half, with Okudah (top-rated DB in NCAA) in, OSU wins 27 to 0). Even Patriots lose a game or two when they win Super Bowls.

With respect to OSU'2016 loss to Clemson.

Barrett was not a very good passer, and Fields is much, much better. Barrett couldn't throw timing passes, and fattened up his statistics against overmatched teams. Also, many here probably don't realize that OSU has 2 no. 1 probable future NFL draft picks at receiver, Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson. In 2016 Clemson was better, and OSU played poorly, with fubles and missed field goals at inopportune times. This OSU team is much better and better focused.

Dec 22, 2019, 4:51 PM

Frank Ladson and Joe Ngata says hi

Dec 22, 2019, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

Just a thought...you should probably watch with your own eyes and not listen to what hype men on sports networks are saying. In addition, Bama and Clemson fans don’t have to hang their confidence on what our conference is doing. Why? Because it matters very little who we’re playing. It’s not about them. It’s about our own preparation and Best is Standard. Those reasons alone have separated Bama and Clemson this decade. If you’re going to hang the weight of your hopes on who you’ve played and who we haven’t played, I have some bad news for you...you may be sorely disappointed and surprised on Saturday night.

Dec 22, 2019, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

I’ll say it again - time will tell.

You make an impressive argument about how talented you are. No offense, but we’ve heard it all before. It may be hard to beat a Wisconsin team (that by the way lost to Illinois) twice. You know what’s harder? Embarrassing a Tua-led Alabama team 44-16 on the biggest stage with a true freshman QB against NFL first rounders at every position. Alabama And the national media said the same things you’re saying. Keep in mind, that smack down happened without Dexter Lawrence, the 17th pick in the draft last year - our 345 lb DT that Alabama and national media argued was the only hope we had of matching up with their NFL/SEC- caliber Line. Next man up. It was a laugher in the trenches and really at every position.

Pointless to speculate. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you’re feeling confident. We’ll all see how that works for you soon enough.

Dec 22, 2019, 6:03 PM

Never said confident of a win. Expecting good game that could go either way.

I buy that

Dec 22, 2019, 7:22 PM

I’m like you - I think our guys will win, but should be a good game.

Dec 22, 2019, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

You’re playing with a transfer starting QB that should not have been eligible this year, you’re playing with a DE who should have been ruled ineligible for taking money from an agent and you play in a part of the country that’s cold 8 months out of the year. Go away and don’t move down here when you retire.

Dec 22, 2019, 7:21 PM

" you play in a part of the country that’s cold 8 months out of the year. Go away and don’t move down here when you retire. "

You are a little bit off the mark here. My father was a teaching golf pro, and I have lived in Santa Barbara, Naples Florida and Cleveland and Columbus & Cincinnati. Have no desire to retire to SC. Currently visiting my brother in Hawaii.

Dec 22, 2019, 7:35 PM

LOL that was the one of three items you chose to dispute

Dec 22, 2019, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

This one’s actually funny. I do appreciate the chuckle tonight before I go into the work week.

Dec 22, 2019, 4:00 PM

“When talking about poorly performing schools, you may want to consider the ACC other than Clemson. The Big Ten is a much better conference than the ACC”

How do you know? The entire Big 10 played a grand total of 8 out of conference power 5 games this year and lost 1/2 of them. I think jury’s still out on the Big10.

They said the same thing in 2016...

Dec 22, 2019, 4:11 PM

And we ran you out of the Stadium.

31-0 31-0 31-0 31-0 31-0 31-0 31-0

Rinse and Repeat.

They said we shouldn't be on the same field with you in 2014 Orange Bowl with all of your NFL Talent and we beat you with much less talent.

Its the same old story. Little Ol’ Clemson can’t possibly play with the Big Bad Buckeyes. Gimme a freakin break.

People forget 11 months ago we ran the supposed ‘Best Team Ever‘ in 2018 Tua led Bama (aka this year’s OSU/LSU) out of the Stadium 44-16.

We are going to destroy OSU and you will be lucky to keep it close.

Please get the Eff off our board.

every fan base has its idiots

Dec 22, 2019, 4:27 PM

Any Clemson fan that is overlooking OSU is an idiot. They simply don’t understand football. The game will be good and Clemson will pull away late. OSU has a very talented team, easily the most talented we have played. Turnovers can neutralize our advantage in experience and depth.

It will be a good game but Clemson has held back a bunch of offense. If Fields can handle the multiple looks our D will throw at him will be the key. He will see schemes he has never seen. If he can handle those looks OSU will have a good shot. Our corners will be left one on one bc we will have to commit more to stop Dobbins and your OL.

I just feel like Fields will get overwhelmed and make just 1 or 2 mistakes that will give us the edge.

Your QB just does not have high game level experience. If he can figure that out y’all will have a good chance.

This narrative is exhausting.

Dec 22, 2019, 4:48 PM

I am tired of being nice about it.

I have been watching Clemson for 40+ years and this is THE Best Clemson team we have ever had.

Ohio St is not in the same league as us

I can’t wait until we play ‘somebody’ so you can see what we do to ‘somebody’ i.e. Bama 44–16 last year.

LSU will be a blow out for CERTAIN.

Re: This narrative is exhausting.

Dec 22, 2019, 5:51 PM

I like the way you roll!

Giddyup and Go Tigers!

Dec 22, 2019, 6:49 PM [ in reply to This narrative is exhausting. ]

Have you watched Ohio State much? In 20 years of watching Ohio State football, this is the most dominant team I've ever watched as well. That includes our 2002 and 2014 NC squads. Ironically, LSU is saying the same thing on their board.

I love the confidence. Clemson's offense is as talented as any offense I've ever seen in college football. Your Achilles heel might just be your defensive front. BV is a brilliant DC. But I think you lack experience, haven't been tested, and Ohio State will find success running the football.

Clemson might be elite offensively to win in a shootout. But IMO Ohio State will get some stops and control this game at the LOS.

The question for you Buck is this ...

Dec 22, 2019, 10:36 PM

... After the game, in the event of an Ohio St loss (likely), will you go into work on Tuesday and repeat "this is the most dominant team I've ever watched"?

And will you give Clemson credit for beating "the most dominant Ohio St team ever"? No you won't. And you know why? Because when Clemson wins, you will immediately believe that Ohio St had an Achilles heel (BV and TL will demonstrate it to Coach Day, team, media and fans) and you will believe Ohio St is one year away.

Re: The question for you Buck is this ...

Dec 23, 2019, 8:14 AM

Why wouldn't I give Clemson credit? I have numerous friends that are Clemson grads and work with multiple Clemson grads so if y'all beat "the best team I've ever watched" I'll most definitely give credit where it's due.

This Clemson is always disrespected narrative that Dabo sells is mental gymnastics to #### your team off, nothing more. It's silly to think opposing fans won't give Clemson credit when it's been the media (recognizing Clemson/Bama exhaustion) that was quick to dismiss y'all do they could sell someone else.

Dec 23, 2019, 5:53 AM [ in reply to Re: This narrative is exhausting. ]

What is this lack if experience crap? More than half of this team played in the playoffs.. how many of OSUs roster has played in a game this important? A conference championship?? These boys have played on 6 straight and won. Have been in the playoffs 5 straight years. Experience is on Clemsons side. Granted the DLine has some young kids on it but all but two have played in multiple CFP games. So experience is on Clemsons side. They have a senior led OL and a senior led secondary. Clemson had thr experience.. those young kids you're speaking of have played 13 games already and they aren't freshmen anymore.. so shove that inexperience crap

Dec 23, 2019, 8:26 AM

My point was I think Ohio State will find success running the football with Dobbins and Fields because your DL is inexperienced. Said differently, its simply substandard to the Clemson DLs of the past. I really can't find many weaknesses in this Clemson team. Kicker, then maybe the DL? But in no way was it commentary on Clemson's team experience. I'm not sure how you gleaned that from what I wrote.

Dec 22, 2019, 6:53 PM

First off, this is a scenario where I definitely think its reasonable to think either team could win. But I think Clemson will win for two main reasons: depth and coaching.

Depth: Last playoff, everyone was focusing on how Tee Higgins was going to do in the playoffs, then the coaches got the ball into the hands of Justyn Ross and introduced him to the nation. This year the same thing is happening, everyone is focusing on Higgins vs okudah but that matchup won't matter too much, Ross, Ngata, and Ladson are going to have big games. This isn't to say OSU doesn't have good depth, but Clemson is at another level, playing over 100 players this season. Ryan day has also been on record saying that you have to blow opponents out as much as you can in the playoff era. So dabo is focused on building depth while day has been focused on blowing people out.

Most importantly, coaching. Dabo has mastered the art of peaking at the right time over the past few seasons. Just like UNC this year, we almost lost to Syracuse last year, but come playoff time we know our playbook, we know our personal and we know our opponent. Which brings me to my most important point: Dabo and Venables (along with Saban) are dominant coaches when given extended preparation time. I don't think any team has come close to beating Clemson over the past five years in a bowl game or following a bye week other than Alabama.

This isn't to say that coach Day and OSU don't have many of these attributes/advantages but for Clemson they're proven over the past few years and for coach Day and OSU it's TBD. Coach Day is excellent at making in game adjustments but I think Dabo and co with a few weeks to prepare are going to be too much for in game adjustments.

All of these reasons are why I think Clemson is going to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State pulled out the W. So let's tee it up and see what happens!

Dec 22, 2019, 7:25 PM

I think you're spot on about your commentary with Dabo/BV. They are truly elite. Been here, done that. I think that's ultimately why Clemson is favored in this game. Ryan Day is an incredible offensive mind and I'm absolutely certain Urban Meyer has been participating in game prep. I think we'll have an excellent plan. Where I'm more concerned is our defensive prep. Jeff Hafley has been truly brilliant for our defense and him accepting the BC job is a distraction.

While your commentary on depth is valid, I don't agree it's giving you an edge. Ohio State blew everyone out too and our 2nd teams played lots of minutes. We are deep and rotate a lot at WR and DL. Our biggest weakness is if Fields goes down.

Dec 22, 2019, 8:18 PM

Very common mis-informed take...
Sure we lost 5 DL to NFL. What most People don’t know... Clemson Rush D is #9 in country about 7 yds/gm worse than OSU + this is our Front 7(rotation)
Xavier Thomas 5* DE 6’3” 260 So
Justin Foster 4* DE 6’2 260 Rs Jr
KJ Henry 5* DE 6’5 270 RS Fr
Nyles Pickney 4* DT RS Jr 6’1 305
Jordan Williams 4* DT RS So 6’4 305
Tyler Davis 4* DT Fr 6’1 290
Isaiah Simmons LB 6’4 240 Butkus winner nickle/safety/bandit and FREAK
Skalski MLB RS Jr 6’0 240 wardaddy 3*
Chad Smith WLB RS Sr 6’3 240 4* won’t wow you but he will be were he is supposed to be and he is solid

Not ‘generational’ talents except for Simmons and DE’s but DE’s are young. But certainly not a front 7 you can push around. Very solid and they play together. You don’t finish #9 in Rush D #1 in pass D and #1 in Scoring D by accident.

If we have a weak link it is ST and K.

You team is very good I am just sick of our team getting zero credit.

Your biggest problem is OSU is 94th in country in Sacks Allowed. That is a huge liability.

We play complimentary football so Dabo will try to score quick early and Venables will sell out to stop the run and then you will be playing catchup vs #1 Pass D and Aggressive disguised blitzing D.

Corners are 5* lockdown CB and safeties are SR’s and very good. Your guys will not be wide open.

You need some help turnovers etc. but I really just think Trevor Lawrence is flat out unfair. He is so good I really can’t put it into words. We can play w lead or from behind. Will be a great game.

Dobbins Fields OL & WR elite for sure but so is everyone guarding them.

Fields will be forced to throw into tight windows to beat us. If he can do that it will be a one score slugfest for the ages.

Chase Young should be schemed out of the game and double teamed.

This is the real National Championship and I think you got royally screwed having to play a ticked off Dabo squad with a generational talent at QB.

Good luck. You need it.

Dec 22, 2019, 8:34 PM

Thanks, it's going to be one heck of a matchup. It's absolutely opinion (and could be a wrong one) but I promise it's not misinformed. After watching a lot of Clemson, it's evident this isn't your typical Clemson DL.

I think you're untested up front and the advanced rankings support that. Here are the top offense CU has faced according to SP+: North Carolina (31), Louisville (32), Texas A&M (33) and FPI: Louisville (19), Boston College (26), North Carolina (27).

I think talent is equated across the OL/DL fronts but Clemson's lack of experience on the DL is an advantage to tOSU.

Dec 22, 2019, 9:38 PM

I agree you could see our DL as a weakness but our DL is way better than Wisc/Mich/Penn St. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Your OL might have a slight edge but it is by no means ‘exploitable’. If Dobbins gets going BV will sell out to stop it. Then your 94th in sacks allowed against crappy B1G teams will be a huge problem. Our DL is better by an order of magnitude than any team you have faced.

I agree, and I thought it would be a huge problem this year but Venables has schemed it out of being an issue.

You will see alot of 3 man fronts with crazy effective schemes behind it. Fields better be able to throw dimes and make more than one read.

If Dobbins can dominate like your B1G opponents it will b a long night for us Just don’t see it happening.

You need to grind it out w Dobbins and Fields runs mixed in w a few luck turnovers or ST plays and keep ball away from TL then hope you can make a play in Q4.

There is no opportunity for you to dominate us in any matchup imo.

Dec 22, 2019, 10:12 PM

Real talk I think Clemson's front 7 is very similar to Penn State. Micah Parsons is younger but similar athletically to Simmons. He had a huge game against us and will absolutely be a top ten pick next year. Yetur Gross-Matos will also be a first round pick. IMO, where Clemson differentiates themselves from Penn State is 1) BV scheme 2) Elite secondary play.

In fact, this isn't being discussed much but I'm concerned about how Ohio State matches up at WR/DB on both sides of the ball. We have excellent route runners but I'm concerned they haven't faced a physical secondary. On defense, yes, Okudah, Wade, and Arnette are excellent CBs but matching up against 6'4" physical receivers will still be a problem.

We ran the ball at will against Penn State but had 3 critical turnovers that kept that game close. Despite excellent DBs and an elite pass rush, we'll be fortunate if we limit Clemson to under 30. Running the football, limiting mistakes, and hopefully creating a few TOs will win it for us. At least that's where I'm hanging my hat until Saturday. lol

Dec 23, 2019, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

Can you tell me the rankings of the Os Ohio St has played please?

Dec 23, 2019, 9:17 AM

Here are the top 3 offenses Ohio State has faced. SP+: Michigan is 19th, Wisconsin is 10th, Penn State is 17th. FPI: Michigan is 21st, Wisconsin is 6th, Penn State is 15th.

Not sure if this will hyperlink but here's links to the advanced analytics:
[S&P+ Link](https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28251219/sp+-rankings-conference-championship-games) and [FPI Link](http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings).

Dec 23, 2019, 10:15 PM

Thanks. Just looking at the ypg averaged Os we have played we are much more similar. I agree y'all have played better teams overall but I don't think y'all have played better Os than we have.

Dec 22, 2019, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

I definitely agree you've had your fair share of blowouts and your second team has gotten plenty of reps. My main point is that dabo has proved over the last few years that he's used those second team reps to find a diamond in the rough and then uses it as a matchup advantage in these big games. Last year it was Justyn Ross, the year before that it was Etienne and a few years ago it was Renfrow. All of them didn't have a big role in the regular season then broke out in the playoffs while the opponent was scheming for our regular season starts. I don't know who it will be this year but it could be Galloway (TE) coming back from suspension.

Day and OSU will likely have some surprises up their sleeve as well but Dabo and BV have proven they are masterminds at utilizing the extra prep time. For OSU and Day it's a question mark at this point how well they'll utilize the extra time and their second team players. That's why I think it's an advantage for Clemson. OSU has alot to be excited about with Day and he has been excellent through the regular season, but this is his first post season as a head coach so we still have alot to learn about him.

I'm excited for this game because they're great matchups all over the field and in the coaching box.

Dec 22, 2019, 10:21 PM

That's an interesting point that I've never heard brought up. Sounds similar to Chris Olave against Michigan. To be honest, your TE coming back is critical. He'll probably be used more to protect TL from Chase Young but I could also see him being utilized against our LBs. Tuff Borland has a nose for the football but he gets out athleted at times. If Galloway has exceptional speed, they're going to pick on Borland with him.

I hope it's a game for the ages. If we get blown out again I'm not sure I'll leave the fetal position for a couple days.

Dec 22, 2019, 10:25 PM

Galloway is an interesting case. He was a b-ball player that just started to play football his last couple years in high school. Last season he was a freshman with a lot of raw talent. He hasn’t played at all this year due to a suspension. However, he could potentially be a legit receiving threat. Or, he could be a non-factor. A lot of unknowns surrounding that addition to be honest.

Clemson has been lacking a TE threat in the passing game for a while now. Since the base offense runs 11 personnel, it always seems a bit more dangerous when the TE is a true receiving threat. So, a lot of excitement but potentially nothing there... or maybe an X factor.

Dec 23, 2019, 1:41 AM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

I think you're spot on about your commentary with Dabo/BV. They are truly elite. Been here, done that. I think that's ultimately why Clemson is favored in this game. Ryan Day is an incredible offensive mind and I'm absolutely certain Urban Meyer has been participating in game prep. I think we'll have an excellent plan. Where I'm more concerned is our defensive prep. Jeff Hafley has been truly brilliant for our defense and him accepting the BC job is a distraction.

While your commentary on depth is valid, I don't agree it's giving you an edge. Ohio State blew everyone out too and our 2nd teams played lots of minutes. We are deep and rotate a lot at WR and DL. Our biggest weakness is if Fields goes down.

Is this the same Urban Meyer that is helping do the game prepping that got smoked off the field 31-0? What advice would you want from him in that regard? I concur thought, please by all means, bring Urban in for advice! Ryan Day, Justin fields and Chase young are just another nameless and faceless opponent. We practice against guys like that or better every single Day.

Bring it and Go Tigers!

Dec 23, 2019, 3:31 AM [ in reply to Re: NFL Scout's Evaluation of OSU ]

Will concede that Clemson has lots of depth. However, so does OSU. Currently starting 5 star center. Backed up by frosh no. rated center. Baron Browning was no. 1 rated LB. Currently rotates as no. 2 middle LB. OSU is 3 deep in both defensive ends and LBs. LBs so deep that 5 star LB Keandre Jones transferred out. 2d string LBs, Kvaughn Pope and Teradja Mitchell are both studs. Backup Receiver Jameson Williams has run a 10.5 100 meters and is both strong and quick. Fumbled and hasn't seen much action recently, but good practices,may change that. Backup db Josh Proctor has been described as a Malik Hooker type talent by his teammates.

These are just off the top of my head examples that I can provide.

Also, although Swinney is a great coach, so is Day, who has developed Haskins, Burrow and Fields. Tate Martell as a backup, under Day's tutelage, was 23 out of 28 last year. Of course, under different Miami coaches, Martell was a washout.

Dec 22, 2019, 10:05 PM

Come back after the game and tell us what you think about Clemson ......it should be a heck of a game which probably should be the national championship matchup but ESPN made sure that didn’t happen because the SEC would be left out......2 out of the last 3 national championships is good but 3 out of the last 4 is better.......Dabo says Hello.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Dec 22, 2019, 10:39 PM

Last year Alabama was the " best team in college history"...44-16 and suddenly tired...OSU will lose by more

What we think doesn't affect the team

Dec 23, 2019, 3:50 AM

You know that, right? You can be sure that Coach Swinney will have them prepared and in the right frame of mind.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 23, 2019, 5:00 AM

Can you find his pre-game prognostication for the last time we stomped a mudhole in O31O State’s chest?

Enough talk. Spotting it soon.....very soon.

Dec 23, 2019, 6:29 AM

On Dec 29th, we'll never see your handle again.

Dec 23, 2019, 6:46 AM

I'm not sure if this is german but how many NFL scouting reports have been written that are wrong, hmmm Mel Kiper?

The one thing I do know is that Ryan Day, his staff and Urban Meyer can plan and scheme all they want but once they get punched in the nose a few times, no plan will work when the players are gun shy. Ask Quinnen Williams and Nick Saban.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lots to respect about OSU

Dec 23, 2019, 8:12 AM

Mainly their humility. Probably their best quality. Imagine the hubris needed to try to trademark putting “THE” in front of your school’s name. Not the group that I would go to expecting reason and rational thought.

We also heard a lot of the same things leading into 2016 and that worked out really well for you.

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic