Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Nick Saban uses his influence to get Alabama in the playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

New Story: Nick Saban uses his influence to get Alabama in the playoff

Dec 4, 2017, 6:58 AM

Nick Saban uses his influence to get Alabama in the playoff

Nick Saban doesn’t sit on the College Football Playoff committee, but Alabama’s head coach did everything he could to make sure the Crimson Tide are a part of the four-team playoff. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care how you spin it.

Dec 4, 2017, 7:18 AM

All 13 of those people sitting in that room are human. It was obvious they made a mistake last season when they pushed OSU into the playoffs without justification. Imo, they remembered how poorly OSU looked on the field against Clemson and didn't have the confidence in OSU to do better this season since they had again proven nothing on the field.

Imo, it was the most difficult decision ever made my the POC. Imagine dating the hottest girl at your high school and being limited to a selection of corsages made from crabgrass. I mean, take UGA and OU out of the field and what's left? OSU, TCU or USCw?

The only thing they did wrong, imo, is not sending the two SEC schools to California and letting OSU face Clemson in the first round.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to agree...

Dec 4, 2017, 9:01 AM

I made the same comment after the ACCCG, and after seeing the B1G, PAC12, and SEC Championship results-- "there's no way they put tOSU in the playoffs, because they're afraid Clemson will curb-stomp them again. Hello, Alabama."

In a way, I know it's Saban's job to do everything he can to get them in, but it's the shameless the way ESecPN catered to Saban by putting him on GameDay and VanPelt having him on his show to lobby the committee. If you think it's not all about politics, raise your hand... yeah, I thought so... no hands.

But, at the end of the day, I do think the four best teams are in the playoffs. I don't particularly like playing Bama in their home-away-from-home, but it's better than treking all the way to the Left Coast to play in Pasadena. And I think we would have to beat Bama in either the 1st or 2nd round, so why not play them after a month to work on the game plan.

So, a suggestion to the CFP for next year... cut out all the "conference championship" BS and just say you're looking for the four best teams, regardless of conference affiliation. But also put some reason behind the numbers and rate the games for what they're worth. If Alabama beating Mercer is only worth "half a win" then count it as such... if Clemson losing to Syracuse is worth "one-and-a-half losses" then do the same thing. Don't let this playoff scheme go the same way as the BCS.

I just know I'm proud of the Tigers... never in my wildest dreams did I picture them making it to the playoffs again this year... and we did it on the field rather than on ESecPN. At this point, everything is gravy, so let's make the most of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An all SEC final is exactly what ESPN needs to get CFP to 8.

Dec 4, 2017, 9:08 AM [ in reply to I don't care how you spin it. ]

The Bama/LSU "BCS Championship of the Century" had terrible ratings and was one of the catalysts for the CFP in my opinion. Now that the committee is disregarding conference championships, the power shifts from the conferences to ESPN and those who own the TV/advertising rights. The conferences have become so dependent on TV contracts and revenues that they have sold their souls. Saban would not have went on a 24 hour groveling telethon unless he know it would work.

Re: I don't care how you spin it.

Dec 4, 2017, 1:03 PM [ in reply to I don't care how you spin it. ]

Did the blowout affect their decision about OSU vs Bama for then#4 spot this year, yep I agree with the OP. Simply no way they can block that out so it doesn’t.

However, completey wrong on the whole pushing OSU in last year. OSU wasn’t pushed in over Penn State. Go back and look at the actual rankings last year and what the committee said about the final rankings. The week prior 1 Bama 2 OSU 3 Clemson 4 Washington. Penn St was #7. Final ranking 1 Bama 2 Clemson 3 OSU 4 Washington 5 Penn St.

OSU was already in at #2 and dropped to #3. Washington was already 4. Penn St jumped from 7 to 5. The only question was should Penn St jump Washington who was already #4 for that spot. Or perhaps should Clemson, Washington, and Penn St (again #7) all jump what was the #2 team in week 13.

Obvious answer is no, Washington was already #4 and won their their CCG. so they deserved to stay in ahead of Penn St. Obvious answer to me on the second part is no as well, all three shouldn’t have jumped the #2 team not with their resume last year. Should #3 & 4 have jumped them pushing them down to #4, that is a valid argument and possibly. Should #7 have jumped from 7 to 4 pushing #2 all the way to 5. Nope not with the resume that OSU had last year.

Re: New Story: Nick Saban uses his influence to get Alabama in the playoff

Dec 4, 2017, 7:37 AM

I think this decision by the committee stinks. Alabama got in simply because they're the all mighty Alabama. They played a weak schedule in a conference that continues to be over rated. They could and probably should have lost to Miss. State. The game with Auburn was not as close as the score would indicate. Saban has been crying about having to play with so many injuries. But nobody wants to talk about how depleted Clemson's defense has been the second half of the season. Dabo just says "next man up," and !Ives on. No doubt, Alabama will be a tough out, which will make the win even sweeter. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 10:11 AM

If the Tigers play their game, they will beat Alabama by 7-10 points, no doubt in my mind. GoooooooTigers!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicky’s use of the royal “we”... you know the editorial...

Dec 4, 2017, 7:44 AM

Yeah, that’s like, ummm, I don’t like that

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nicky’s use of the royal “we”... you know the editorial...

Dec 4, 2017, 7:52 AM

I think he's speaking for the coaches and players. I'm not sure he's a pompous as people think he is, he's just not a media-friendly man. As far as politicking to get the team into the CFP, that's what any coach would do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 7:58 AM

He’s as pompous as “we” think he is.

Thanks tho bro

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 8:11 AM

That's good

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 8:11 AM

They missed a great opportunity to punish a team for never playing a quality OC team except on a neutral filed and playing only 4 road games.

Dec 4, 2017, 8:12 AM

ok punish is too strong, penalize.

Dec 4, 2017, 8:19 AM

USC SR. had a much higher sos than alabama!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

committee is the problem

Dec 4, 2017, 8:17 AM

The final four should be decided on the field, not a conference room.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: committee is the problem

Dec 4, 2017, 8:23 AM

This would have been a great year to go to 8, taking USC, OSU, Wisconsin and one more, maybe UCF. Well politics are what they are but all we need to do is play like we did Saturday and whip their butts.
Leave no doubt this year!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you go by the rankings as they are, the 8 teams would be.....

Dec 4, 2017, 8:40 AM

the ones you mention and a 3 loss Auburn would have been there as a 3rd SeC team.
This is one of the reasons I am not in favor of expansion, unless they really change some criteria.
I think the premise that teams are 'entitled' to have a shot at the title if they have lost 2 games already is faulty.
To get in, you basically have to get in as an undefeated or 1 loss team. That is what the past 2 years have taught us. And that is hard to do.
If they go to 8, they will need to go 'all in' with different criteria, like automatic conference champ bids. And drop a regular season game while they are at it to make room for it.
While I think it's kind of bogus that Bama got in, I don't think that Ohio St or USC or whoever is entitled to that spot...they had their opportunity to not lose 2 games, particularly in blowout fashion.

Dec 4, 2017, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: committee is the problem ]

I doubt the other 4 teams you mentioned could last through a 3 game playoff (they might win one, but not 3). Auburn could not hold up through back to back games, and I would say they're deeper than the 4 mentioned.
I am not a fan of an 8-team playoff...but the $$$ will probably cause it to happen.

I agree but they haven't figured out how to capitalize on...

Dec 4, 2017, 8:24 AM [ in reply to committee is the problem ]

an expanded playoff yet. That suits me fine if they come up with a way of not adding more games on winning teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree but they haven't figured out how to capitalize on...

Dec 4, 2017, 8:43 AM

To me a six-team playoff is the answer. First round byes for the top two seeds. Then, the #1 seed plays the winner of the #4 vs. #5 game and then the #2 seed would play the winner of the #3 vs. #6 seed. You give the conference championship winners of the Power 5 conferences automatic bids and reserve the final bid for the best of the "group of five" conferences (which would most likely always be the #6 seed).

Then we cut back the regular season to 11 games so we can get rid of the Citadels, the Woffords, and the SC State games on our schedule and other FCS teams off other power 5 teams' schedules.

Re: I agree but they haven't figured out how to capitalize on...

Dec 4, 2017, 10:50 AM

I was with you up until the last part. We'll never remove the in-state "cupcakes" as us playing them generates an extreme amount of revenue for their schools.

I think the 6 team playoff as you described could work without shortening the regular season. Just add the extra week on Christmas weekend.

Dec 4, 2017, 10:14 AM [ in reply to committee is the problem ]

But someone still has to decide. For decades, it was the sports writers, than the computers. I think this is the best system. I just don't like the way ESECPN shamelessly let Nicky politic all weekend. I'm beginning to believe some folks never learned their ABCs. It's as though their alphabet begins and ends with SEC.

While I don't think...

Dec 4, 2017, 8:24 AM

a team that fails to play for its conference championship, let alone win it, should be considered by the CFP, I also think a compelling case can be made for both the Bucknuts and Bama.

At the end of the day, it was Auburn who got hosed. Auburn waxed Bama a week ago and while Auburn was playing for a conference championship, Bama, who is sitting at home watching on television, ends-up in the CFP.

On that basis, leagues might as well do away with conference championship games. Without a conference championship game, Wisconsin and Auburn are both in while Georgia and Bama probably are not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: While I don't think...

Dec 4, 2017, 8:51 AM

Auburn shouldn't have lost to Clemson, or LSU if they wanted to be able to lose championship game and still be considered... like Clemson would have been if we had lost.

Re: While I don't think...

Dec 4, 2017, 8:54 AM [ in reply to While I don't think... ]

yeah I had a problem with them moving up while staying idle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 8:29 AM

Sure will make the rationale used in the past for conference champion as one of the deciding criteria look weaker. Bama gets preferential treatment every year imo.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2022, 8:15 AM

The committee is chartered to get the 4 best teams in the playoff. I think they've done that.

The BCS was all about metrics and polls, there were major flaws in that system. At least the CFP has come down to the best 2 in the final game (especially the last 2 years).

Who do you have the most confidence beating of the top 6 teams?

Me? Wisconsin, OSU, then Oklahoma. I think Bama & Georgia are the tougher teams, especially with time to get healthy & game plan.

Dec 4, 2017, 8:41 AM

Wisc and OSU for sure. UGA doesn't have a great defense and we are built to stop their run this time around - low scoring. OK - run and shoot - we'd need high 30s in that game. Ala - depends on which team we play and how many people they get back - if the team that played MSU and Auburn shows up we win BIG otherwise its probably a dog fight like the last two years!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Nick Saban uses his influence to get Alabama in the playoff ]

Or was it their idea to have an all SEC championship again. Who really believes UGA is better than Bama? So if they put the best 4 in shouldn't they at least put them in the correct order. No, they knew exactly what they were doing. They knew the only hope they had in getting 2 SEC teams in the finals were to put Bama against Clemson as Bama is at least physical enough to keep it close and may pull the win out. Whereas, UGA caught Auburn after the burnout of the Iran Bowl. Well if that's what their reasoning was here's to Clemson and OK stopping that from happening. Go Tigers.

Dec 4, 2017, 8:39 AM

I crunched some numbers last night after I saw that Alabama was the Tigers opponent.

Ohio State
Won there Conference Championship
11-2 win/loss record
.5697 is the win% average of all teams they played.
5.75 is the average Rank of their opponent when played.
9 is the average Rank at the last CFP poll.
7 team wins of teams above .500.
Losses one was a high ranked loss, other was a bad loss.

Alabama
Did not play in there Conference Championship
10-1
.5659 is the win% average of all teams they played.
11 is the average Rank of their opponent when played.
16 is the average Rank at the last CFP poll.
7 team wins of teams above .500.
Loss was to a ranked opponent.

These numbers I pulled and calculated on my own...(NOT A MATH GENIOUS) So possible errors could have been made, but I think these are correct. With that being said....

No matter how I try to spin it..... Checkmark for Checkmark does not add up this year for any reason Alabama got in the CFP other than the prestige of there program.

Yes Ohio State has an embarrassing loss to a team that was above .500 and beat other ranked teams during the year.

I just don't see with using those numbers how they got back in other than there Alabama..... And the CFP was designed to stop making the mistakes that the BCS did.... Yet are already failing at that miserably.

Dec 4, 2017, 8:54 AM

They got in because they are better than OSU.....

Dec 6, 2017, 6:45 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Nick Saban uses his influence to get Alabama in the playoff ]
image001-2.png(81.3 K)

Your numbers are correct. I did the same thing. I dropped the Mercer game from consideration, as you did.

Another thing that stood out to me is that the Buckeyes played 9 conference games, so there wasn't a breather similar to Mercer. Sure they played 5-7 UNLV, but they also played 8-3 Army and Oklahoma.

Basically, they played 13 meaningful games when you include the conference championship vs Bama's 11 games. I wonder how Bama would've done with 13 games vs the 11 they played. Would there be an ugly loss for them on a 13 game schedule?

Message was edited by: Foothills_Tiger®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2017, 8:47 AM

I think anyone who watched OSU and Alabama play knows Alabama is the better team. I personally do not want to paly Alabama again ( I really wanted Wisconsin to win and be the four seed). That being said Alabama went out and scheduled a third ranked FSU. They are part of the SEC west which is usually the best division in football. Alabama cannot be blamed for it's opponents having a down year. So those who believe that Alabama does not deserve the fourth spot, I think you are not looking truly at the facts.

Dec 4, 2017, 10:20 AM

I still think Clemson is the best team and will go all the way. There's a reason the Tigers are #1 and the Pachyderms are #4. If Clemson plays it's best, no one is beating Dabo's team.

Dec 4, 2017, 10:27 AM

My opinion...if you don't win your conference championship, you shouldn't be allowed to play for the National Championship. I don't care if you are one of the four best teams.
I said this in 2011 when Alabama/LSU took place. Was Bama a better team than LSU then? Sure, that was apparent when LSU beat them in Nov, but LSU found a way to win. They should not have had to play Bama again.
Would Bama beat Auburn if they played again? Probably. Is Bama one of the four best teams? They are better than OSU, USC, or Auburn (right now). But I stick by my first statement.
Every team in the playoff had to win a conference championship game to get in, except one. That's not right. Bama should have to be the SEC Champ to get in. But I didn't make the rules.
It's up to Clemson to eliminate another possible all-sec championship (I think UGA will beat OU).
That said, Go Tigers!

Dec 4, 2017, 10:55 AM

Agreed. ACC PAC12 SEC BIG10 champs and figure a way to fit in in a team like OK. Saban knows its better to get a bye than play in a conference championship. OSU, USC screwed in what sets up as a regional championship

Dec 4, 2017, 10:40 AM

Plus he got a bye week to boot!

Dec 4, 2017, 12:09 PM

I agree that teams

Dec 4, 2017, 12:14 PM

I agree teams that don’t play on conference championship weekend shouldn’t get in. The conference champions have played one more game against usually a highly ranked opponent. All teams should play the same number of games to be considered. Maybe have the top 6 teams not in conference championship games play each other that same weekend in “play-in” games. Then take the winners of these 3 games plus the 5 conference champions and have an 8 team playoff. It adds a game but it’s no more that the NFL 16 game regular season for the 2 teams in the final game. Makes all of the conference championship games truly win or go home games as well.

Dec 4, 2017, 12:59 PM

So the fact that Miami had they beaten Clemson, I know its a joke, wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs because they had only played 11 games? Remember they had a game cancelled due to hurricane Irma. My issue is not with the conference championship it's with putting 2 teams from 1 conference in the playoffs. The announcers Saturday for the SEC championship were so set on Bama making it they even made mention that the committee shouldn't take the SEC championship into consideration. Which would have left UGA out had Wisconsin won Saturday night. This isn't all about the best 4 it's about making sure that Bama plays in the playoffs and then fill in around them. I truly believe that had Bama lost to Miss State and Auburn they would have still gone over other teams. Go Tigers.

Dec 4, 2017, 2:58 PM

There would have to be exceptions for a team that misses a game due to a hurricane. My issue is with putting teams in the playoff that don’t play a quality opponent on conference championship weekend. Big issue with Notre Dame who will never have the risk of losing a conference championship game.

Here's what's really going on

Dec 4, 2017, 12:15 PM

If Napoleon Saban didn't lobby for his team, they could've been left out. What that tells me is that without the tail wagging the dog, the committee didn't think that the Tide was one of the best four in the country. Crap like this is why a 8 team playoff wouldn't be so bad

Message was edited by: Fridge_Perry®

What a freaking farce!!***

Dec 4, 2017, 12:16 PM

Dec 4, 2017, 1:01 PM

To think I thought Nick Saban was short and all along he's been on his knees to ensure his team makes the playoffs. Go Tigers.

Look, Saban is paid Millions of dollars to help Alabama

Dec 6, 2017, 7:33 AM

succeed at football. He used the means at his disposal to attempt to accomplish that goal. I got no problem with it at all. Spot the dayum ball!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic