Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need to fix Transfer Portal before NIL comes!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Need to fix Transfer Portal before NIL comes!

May 4, 2020, 7:04 AM

What's wrong Unlimited Transfers in the era of NIL payments?
Transfers are tied into NIL rules - I mean, don't you think players will transfer to where they can get more money? You'd be naive to think otherwise, IMO! So fixing the Transfer Portal may be more urgent than ever, but how?

My Rx for Fixing the Transfer Portal.
By necessity, it has to be a multi-part fix because the problem itself is so layered...

1. Incentivize players to stay by requiring all initial scholarships out of high school to be 4-year "no cut" deals - provided the player honors his original letter of intent. Even if the player is injured or doesn't turn out to be nearly as good as his recruiters thought, his scholarship would count against the 85 player limit for 4 years, or until he transfers, drops out of school completely, or declares for the NFL draft. However, if he does transfer, his new scholarship reverts to a 1-year renewal as it is now.

2. One exception to that rule would be granted if either the head coach or position coach leaves the school to take a job elsewhere - then the player should be allowed to transfer and still get a locked-in scholarship. This would hopefully put an end to the practice of signing kids one week and then firing the coach who recruited him the next. However, I wouldn't grant an exception for retirement IF the coach announced when he was going to retire before the kid signed his LoI - once it's out there, it becomes an informed decision by the player.

3. To prevent coaches who change jobs from raiding the roster of their former teams, let's make another rule: if a coach leaves a school of his own initiative (i.e. isn't fired), and that coach subsequently signs player(s) from his former school, the player(s) must sit out a season, but they would still count against the 85 scholarship limit during the waiting season. That may sound harsh, but this could become a very serious problem and needs to be "nipped in the bud".

4. To prevent players from transferring every year (say if they don't win the starting job?), limit immediate eligibility to just the first transfer; second, third, or subsequent transfers would all require sitting out for one year without scholarship.

5. To limit the damage to teammates (because we want to protect ALL players, not just the kid who is transferring), a player should only be granted immediate eligibility if he (a) enters the portal before the early signing period and (b) completes the transfer before the final signing period begins. Any transfers after that would have to sit out one year, off scholarship.

6. To prevent unethical coaches from recruiting active players (who are not in the Transfer Portal) off of another team, there should be some stiff penalties:
(a) the recruiting team should be required to offer the player a scholarship, or forfeit one for a year if they don't; if the school is already at the scholarship limit, they should forfeit 2 scholarships the following year.
(b) if the player so recruited accepts the offer to transfer, he must sit out one year - on scholarship - and he will be counted against the 85 player limit (or, if this would put the school over the limit, he would count double the following year).
Finally,

7. To address NIL abuses: if a player who has an NIL contract transfers to another school, and his new school is in the same DMA (media market) or the person or company paying the NIL fees has a business within the DMA of the new school - if the previous NIL contract is terminated, it will be treated as an impermissible benefit and the original school will lose 2 scholarships automatically - no deliberation, no appeal.

source: https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/05/fixing-transfer-portal.html

I don't think any of these rule changes would adversely affect Clemson, but it would put a stop to some of the shenanigans we see in the SEC and elsewhere (including an occasional ACC team).

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Do you like these rule changes? Do you have better ideas for preventing the inevitable NIL/Transfer abuses?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

another question i have is..who is respsonsible with keeping

May 4, 2020, 8:53 AM

up with all this? Are the coaches responsible for making sure each athlete's business practices are above board? So coaches, along with all their others duties, will now have to navigate their players' photo shoots and commercial spots and assign business administrators to ensure ncaa compliance...? Sounds like just a huge bag of worms that is going to get schools in trouble and burn coaches out on things they have no interest in. Hopefully=y they'll relegate it to just NCAA team merchandise and they get a cut after they leave school based on the amount of jersey sells. And its not anything like local business being part of the payout. U can't control what the crazy used car salesman down the road will do.

Re: another question i have is..who is respsonsible with keeping

May 4, 2020, 10:05 AM

NIL is absolutely going to be a "can of worms". Think about it: players are allowed to take money for their endorsements as long as it isn't tied to a school - but you KNOW some booster is going to pay kids way more than they're worth to endorse his business, but as soon as that kid transfers, what will the booster do? It'll become obvious that it was all just a bribe to come to that school (let's call it what it is - a bribe!)

NCAA can't enforce a rule that has only one clause

May 4, 2020, 10:12 AM

What can they do with one with seven?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA can't enforce a rule that has only one clause

May 4, 2020, 11:02 AM

Not sure I follow you...

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive