Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NBA Best All-Time:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

NBA Best All-Time:

May 7, 2018, 11:09 AM

I think you could argue anyone on the first team below along with Wilt and Kareem as being the best all-time:

I've been watching a lot of NBA in the last week, and with the exception of getting two steps (three on dunks), there is better basketball (offense, defense, and especially passing) being played than ever before.

1st Team
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
C- Bill Russell
PF- Tim Duncan
SF- Lebron James

2nd Team
PG-Oscar Robertson
SG-Jerry West
C-Kareem Abdul Jabbar
PF-Karl Malone
SF-Larry Bird

3rd Team
PG-John Stockton
SG-Kobe Bryant
C-Wilt Chamberlain
PF-Charles Barkley (Sorry Kevin McHale you were close)
SF-Julius Erving

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No vinny johnson? Get that list outta here***

May 7, 2018, 11:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: No vinny johnson? Get that list outta here***

May 9, 2018, 6:30 PM

I miss the Microwave! A better NBA back in them days.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is an on going argument, but I’ll bite.

May 7, 2018, 11:14 AM

The second team would crush your first team.

Lulz. Bird and Malone wouldn't score with Lebron and

May 7, 2018, 11:16 AM

Duncan guarding them.

Third team pretty dang strong also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is an on going argument, but I’ll bite.

May 7, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to This is an on going argument, but I’ll bite. ]

The second team passed to their teammates and shot the ball well. Game over.

Magic and Lebron probably two best passers of all-time.

May 7, 2018, 11:19 AM

Loved Bird and am a Celtic fan also.

lol wut***

May 7, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: This is an on going argument, but I’ll bite. ]

1st team still better on paper...

May 7, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to This is an on going argument, but I’ll bite. ]

2nd team could beat them, crush them...no way.

Re: NBA Best All-Time:

May 7, 2018, 11:21 AM

I would like it better if we would shutdown the NBA.

rassist***

May 7, 2018, 11:47 AM

Why wouldn't you want to see the best players play at the

May 8, 2018, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: NBA Best All-Time: ]

highest level?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2018, 11:33 AM

I like your first team. The only glitch is that both Magic and Lebron want the ball in their hands all the time. So switching Lebron by Larry or Magic by Oscar may work better. One thing is for sure; your first team will block shots, rebound and run everyone out of the building!

I like your first team, but I would put Wilt over Russell.

May 7, 2018, 11:40 AM

For my money, Stockton is the best PG ever in terms of the whole package: a pass-first PG who has nice range out to the 3 point line, low turnovers, and great defense (something he doesn't get enough credit for). Magic was outstanding, but I would be curious to know how Magic would've done with some of Stockton's teams, and vice versa. I am confident that Stockton would have a bunch of rings if he had Magic's supporting cast. It's hard to not put Magic on the first team though, given his success. He truly changed the PG position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 7, 2018, 11:41 AM

Westbrook is top 3 PG in my book but I am young.

May 7, 2018, 11:51 AM

He's my favorite player and I'd either be taking him or Curry as a PG if I was starting a team right now.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Westbrook is the king of usage rate

May 7, 2018, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: NBA Best All-Time: ]

He would be terrible on an all-time team though. You don't want a relatively low % shooter taking huge volumes of shots with better options out there on the floor with him, and that's exactly what would happen. He's great on a bad team where he can dominate the ball and take 20-25 shots a game.

Best individually or most unstoppable team?

May 7, 2018, 11:51 AM

If it is the best individually, then it is hard to argue with you...

If it is the most unstoppable team, then I'd be picking Durant and Steph with Michael, Lebron and Wilt. I don't care to get into the "my time is better" argument because it doesn't matter, but I have a hard time imagining anybody stopping Steph Curry when there is not a single player in the game currently that can hang with him. And I'd put money on Durant being absolutely unstoppable if he played 30 years ago. He could have been better than anybody on the list if he played in a less talented league.

The biggest weakness of your first team would be 3-point shooting. Just look at the league now... the best teams are knocking down 3's at an unfathomable pace. Putting Durant and Steph in there instead would be able to outscore that first team just due to the point differential that we are seeing now.

Still a solid list. I think you are just underselling some current players. Based on most accomplished you are probably right. But matched up 1v1 or actually in a 5v5, some current players need to be considered, no matter what they've accomplished because the league is simply more talented now. Just like football and baseball and every other sport. Athletes are continuously getting better.

Re: Best individually or most unstoppable team?

May 7, 2018, 12:36 PM

You make some very good points; the three point shooting of that first team would be below par. BUT, they will simply run everyone out of the building. I think that Michael would do a much better job of defending Curry than the other way around; people forget what a great defensive player Michael Jordan was. I will also take Lebron or Larry over Durant (who is one heck of a player by the way; just my opinion.

Re: Best individually or most unstoppable team?

May 7, 2018, 12:41 PM

What do you mean "run everyone out of the building"? If you are talking about playing at a fast pace, how can you say that the Warriors wouldn't be able to play at a fast pace? They are one of the fastest teams in the league.

Help defense didn't even exist during the time of MJ and before. That rule change absolutely made offense more difficult.

Getting rid of hand checking made offense way

May 7, 2018, 12:46 PM

easier though. Hand checking and extremely physical play is what kept scoring down during that era in the 90s.

Which one do you think is more physical?

May 7, 2018, 1:06 PM

6'8" and 250 lbs or 6'6" and 215 lbs.

Not sure what your point is. I was just pointing out

May 7, 2018, 3:54 PM

another difference between eras. The game was just different in the 90s than it is now. I'm not even claiming it was better, because i think today's style makes for a better viewing experience, but back then teams still clogged the paint, played with a true center and a legit PF on the floor at the same time, and didn't shoot nearly as many 3s. There were 10 guys (many of them big guys) in a much smaller area which just naturally led to more collisions. Couple with that with the hand-checking and teams just scored less points back then.

The counter to that style was floor spacing and more 3 point shooting which you see now.

May 7, 2018, 1:16 PM

Flip west and Kobe and I agree

May 7, 2018, 1:26 PM

I'm a huge Allen Iverson fan, and some of the older guys on this list I never got to see play, so I always have a spot for him on a All-NBA team.

I like your first team a lot, but I don't think there would be enough basketballs on the court to keep them happy

Shaq would dominate all those centers

May 7, 2018, 1:31 PM

Plus he's better at commercials.

Re: Shaq would dominate all those centers

May 7, 2018, 2:12 PM

Shaq isn't a top 6 center , all time .

DB23

I'd have him #4.***

May 7, 2018, 2:50 PM

May 7, 2018, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaq would dominate all those centers ]

He is top 5 for sure dude. No matter which way you look at it.

Shaq would not "dominate" any of those centers!

May 7, 2018, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Shaq would dominate all those centers ]

He may have gotten dominated!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find that kind of hard to believe

May 7, 2018, 4:50 PM

When he was younger and still playing in Orlando he was ridiculously athletic and mobile for a guy his size. He could get up and down the floor and leap at 300+ pounds. Later he added some weight and was one of the most physically imposing forces to ever play in the league. He was still really nimble too until late in his career.

I think he would've held his own with anybody.

Shaq would not "dominate" any of those centers!

May 7, 2018, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Shaq would dominate all those centers ]

He may have gotten dominated!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2018, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Shaq would dominate all those centers ]

I agree, Shaq was a lot stronger than any of those guys. Even in the Orlando days. He was a freak

May 7, 2018, 1:38 PM

Great list, I might change a player or two, but hard to argue. I was listening to Cornbread Maxwell on the Dan Patrick show this morning comparing Lebron to Bird, Johnson and Jordan. He said in his opinion a person that needs to be added to the argument as be the GOAT is Hakeem Oljawun. He said as far as being dominant on both ends of the court he was best he played against. Surprised me, I think of him as being top 50, but not top 5.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd probably have him as the 5th best center behind

May 7, 2018, 1:57 PM

Russell, Jabbar, Wilt, and Shaq which would have him top 25. Man, he could run the court for a big man.

Re: I'd probably have him as the 5th best center behind

May 7, 2018, 2:37 PM

Olajuwon embarrassed shaq. Russell not in league with Olajuwon

Probably true. Jordan not in league with Durant. Bird not in

May 7, 2018, 2:43 PM

league with Lebron.

You can't just throw out all the older players from being considered for these teams. Of course players from more recent eras are better.

There are probably 10 or 15 better inside players in the league today than Olajuwon but it's just because players get bigger and stronger and jump higher every year.

Re: Probably true. Jordan not in league with Durant. Bird not in

May 7, 2018, 2:52 PM

Proof is in the pudding there are only two hall of fame centers Olajuwon never played against and that's Russell and Chamberlain. Everybody else he played against and remember center guarded centers. He pretty much dominated Shaq, David Robinson and Patrick Ewing and more than held his own against Moses Malone and Kareem. The only thing the other centers had is better surrounding supporting cast

Hakeem was outstanding, but he had great supporting casts.

May 8, 2018, 9:56 PM

Not to diminish how dominant Olajuwon was during their back-to-back championship seasons, but let's not forget that he played with:

Clyde Drexler (Hall of Famer)
Otis Thorpe (All Star)
Sam Cassell (clutch)
Robert Horry (super clutch)

He had a load of help. As a Spurs fan, I hated losing to them in 1995. Hakeem was a monster, but they wouldn't have won that series without Drexler, Cassell, Horry, etc. Plus, the Spurs had Robinson and not much else. Rodman decided not to play defense, and a starting backcourt of Vinny Del Negro and Avery Johnson wasn't a championship-caliber backcourt (even though Robinson's stellar play all year in 94-95 got them a long way).

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Hakeem was awesome. He is either the best center.,,

May 7, 2018, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: NBA Best All-Time: ]

or the 2nd best all time.

May 7, 2018, 2:11 PM

As individual talents at the center position , K A-J should be #1 , 2nd teamer is Chamberlain , Russell goes to #3 .

DB23

Watch Russell leap over this guy in college:

May 7, 2018, 2:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWelUNrJUMM

May 7, 2018, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: NBA Best All-Time: ]

Ha Russell not in league with olajuwon

May 7, 2018, 2:35 PM

You forgot hakeemolajuwon and shaq buddy

May 7, 2018, 3:06 PM

1st Team
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
C- Kareem
PF- Tim Duncan
SF- Lebron James

2nd Team
PG-Oscar
SG- Jerry West
C- Hakeem (could be the best)
PF-Karl Malone
SF-Larry Bird

3rd Team
PG-John Stockton barely edging out Isiah
SG-Kobe Bryant
C-David Robinson/Shaq when in shape...can't decide
PF-Charles Barkley
SF-Kevin Durant

Message was edited by: Carlsbad®

Once again. Bill Russell in college:

May 7, 2018, 3:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWelUNrJUMM

Half of the NBA can do that now.

May 7, 2018, 4:11 PM

I have seen that before. The dude averaged 15 points or so and was 50% approx from the FTline for his career against mainly small white dudes. There are about 50 guys his size in the NBA now to top it off.

So, your all NBA team would be players after 2000 only.***

May 7, 2018, 4:26 PM

Re: So, your all NBA team would be players after 2000 only.***

May 7, 2018, 4:33 PM

Without looking I think most of my players were well before 2000. Kareem came in last 60's I believe. Magic late 70's maybe 80. Jordan mid to early 80's.

Impossible to compare today's players to players say,

May 7, 2018, 6:57 PM

pre 1985 or so, when rules were enforced. When the powers that be decided that traveling and palming rules were going to be totally ignored or altered in the name of entertainment, and gutless, brain dead refs and public went along with it, it drastically altered the game. I'd like to see what Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, George Gervin, Rick Barry, Bob MacAdoo, etc., could do if they played under the same rules as today's players where dribbling is just an inconvenient afterthought and were essentially allowed to run with the basketball like a tailback and the only way to guard them was to reach, grab, and hack.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

OWG ^^***

May 7, 2018, 7:24 PM

I'm just an ordinary guy.

May 7, 2018, 10:09 PM

Not worthy of anyone's praise or admiration, but thanks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The game lost its luster and they had to do something.

May 7, 2018, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Impossible to compare today's players to players say, ]

Pro basketball was dying and they finished it off, imo. MLB is did the same thing. The ball is harder and the mounds are lower. They wanted more action. Now they are complaining about the length of time it takes to play 9 innings.

When baseball was only in the park the parks were everywhere. Baseball is like hockey. If you can't see the entire field you aren't watching baseball or hockey. NBA isn't worth watching because of the things on your list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine is a little different:

May 8, 2018, 9:52 PM

1st Team
PG - John Stockton
SG - Michael Jordan
C - Wilt Chamberlain
PF - Tim Duncan
SF - LeBron James

2nd Team
PG - Magic Johnson
SG - Jerry West
C - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
PF - Karl Malone
SF - Larry Bird

3rd Team
PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Kobe Bryant
C - David Robinson
PF - Charles Barkley
SF - Julius Erving

Obviously lots of guys can make a case for one of these teams, but I considered several criteria. Obviously championships, but also talent on both ends of the floor, statistical dominance, and leadership. I also considered who they played with (i.e., did they have a supporting cast which made winning rings easy, or did they carry their team more?) and against (was it an era where the talent level was high?). Lots of subjectivity in these lists, but it was fun to think about. Thanks so much for making this thread!

Solid picks, but how how do you put Stockton over Magic

May 9, 2018, 6:11 PM

and the big O? Plus, I just can’t see Robinson over Russell. Russell was the main cog in 11 titles. Wilt and Kareem over Russell is arguable. I’d have Russell, Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, and Olajuwon all over Robinson. He’d be 6th.

Still a solid 15. Love to see the teams play each other.

I realize that Stockton as best PG ever is up for debate.

May 9, 2018, 7:26 PM

He finished his career as the NBA's all time leader in assists and steals. He also shot well from the floor and from the free throw line. He did not commit many turnovers. He also played a role in Malone scoring as much as he did. No, he didn't win any titles, but I don't think that was his fault. He didn't have great supporting casts outside of Malone, except for Jeff Hornacek. If he played with Worthy, Kareem, etc. like Magic did, I bet he would have at least one championship if not several.

I agree, it is hard to choose anyone over Magic and Robertson though.

Also, I completely forgot about KG. He should maybe

May 10, 2018, 9:19 AM

be 3rd team PF.

($1.00 to ryanadidas)

May 9, 2018, 7:51 PM

Olajuwon

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic