Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CLEMSON BASEBALL FANS I WANT YOUR OPINION
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

CLEMSON BASEBALL FANS I WANT YOUR OPINION

Jun 3, 2019, 9:14 PM

Our glorious leader (Monte Lee)is on the tigernet hot seat, but my personal opinion is that he's not really as awful a coach as some seem to think.

At what point does responsibility fall on the shoulders of the players? I didn't watch too many innings this year, but based on the box scores it looked like our pitching staff was throwing batting practice the second half of the season, teams were routinely pounding us for 7+ runs a night...

I think Monte deserves some of the blame but a big part of me is looking at the pitching staff and shaking my head the same way I shake my head at my dog after he poops in the basement.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CLEMSON BASEBALL FANS I WANT YOUR OPINION

Jun 4, 2019, 1:02 AM

Well the problem with that thought is this, whether you believe it's solely on the coach or you believe it's the players, the fact is the coach is the one who recruits those players so in the end, yes it does still fall on the coach.

Jun 4, 2019, 1:19 AM

After dogs reach 1yr old, they respond very well to corrective education. Dogs that continue bad trends after year 1, it is almost always the coaches fault. Ever watch the Dog Whisperer? The right coaching fixes bad behavior almost over night!!

I think the pitching and batting philosophy is bad. JL got where he played small ball too often and he would bunt when it was time to give a HR swing. ML is opposite spectrum. I have never seen a top 15-20 recruitment that can't even foul the ball? We whiff at balls more than any team I have ever seen. Our first year of ML was great because the players knew how to play small ball and make contact but we had more long balls from ML. Two years later the players lost how to make contact and just whiff looking for long ball.

I'm no baseball genius but this is so easy to see that our contact rate sucks!

Jun 4, 2019, 7:36 AM

Not a real bball fan, but I'm shaking my head as to why you allow your dog to poop in your basement.

That said - I'm okay with Monte Lee. But out pitching needs some serious upgrading. Pitching beats hitting, and if you want to make it to Omaha, you will NOT do it without great pitching. PERIOD.

My take is

Jun 4, 2019, 7:43 AM

When you play a ton of young players that are right out of high school, they aren't use to a college schedule. In college you play a ton of games compared to high school. So the mid year crash is almost always going to happen.
Anyway, Go Tigers!

this team was very poor fundamentally. Could or would not

Jun 4, 2019, 7:55 AM

bunt or hit behind the runners. Swinging for the fence no matter the count or the situation. Very poor base runniing, I saw them have 2 men picked off 1st base in the same inning, had a runner leave 3rd base too soon on a flyout to deep right field and get doubled up. Sloppy fielding and then when the pitching died out the season was done. Home run or strikeout seemed to be the strategy.

Re: My take is

Jun 4, 2019, 8:30 AM [ in reply to My take is ]

All of this "young team" bs needs to take a rest. When we took the field Sunday 7 of our 9 players were at least 3 years removed from high school and the other two were finishing their second year. By college baseball standards we were a very "old team". We had 20 pitchers on the roster and all but a couple were recruited by the current staff. If Monte has any chance at success See and Starbuck need to be replaced and our overall philosophy needs to be re-evaluated. When 10 ACC teams have been to super regionals (and most to multiple) since we have something is amiss. Don't even come with "we need to be better next year" because next year will almost certainly be worse than this year.

how long has See been there?***

Jun 4, 2019, 8:42 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how long has See been there?***

Jun 4, 2019, 8:55 AM

He came in with Monte and has been unable to develop our pitchers at all. Griffith and Weatherly have the best "stuff" on the team but are of no use because they have no command whatsoever and have made zero progress in this area. Strider has a plus arm but he still had command issues all fall. See is very poor for a college coach when it comes to mechanics.

I make no claims of being a beisaball guru, but, as an

Jun 4, 2019, 9:07 AM

avid watcher of most of our games this year, at least a couple of things are clear.

1) We have to get better pitchers. The guys we have simply cannot overpower anyone when the need arises. They had stretches where they could not even throw "get over" strikes when necessary. Lack of arm talent coupled with poor control equals just what we got.

2) A lot has been made of Monte Lee's "Long ball first" philosophy. Given the fact that we strike out so much, obviously we are not hitting on a fundamentally sound level, either.

I think the solutions to (1) and (2) are different.

For (1), we obviously need some better arms. We may already have them, in players returning from injury, or new talent signed for next year. To some degree, a pitching coach is only as good as the talent he is given. He can teach better control fundamentals, but he is not going to bump an 87 mph fastball up to 95. The player himself knows his arm talent, take Hennessy for an example. He HAS to nibble the edges, because if he goes anywhere close to the middle of the plate, his stuff is going to get hammered. We have far too many of those types of arms at present.

For (2), we need a combination philosophy change and coaching change. Our hitting is the most inconsistent I have ever seen it, purely from a contact standpoint. The fact that all our guys can run into one and hit it out of the park tells me the pure physical ability is there. So, on that front, it must be poor coaching. All this most recent latest rage about "launch angles" and such may well induce paralysis by analysis.

Now, all this is just my opinion, which is what the OP asked for. The beisaball season is over now, may we wander relatively unscathed through The Dark Territory, until we launch the ACC Network in August. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2019, 9:08 AM

I also think Monte Lee is not a bad coach but with that said, he is the coach and how the team performs is his responsibility.

Strider's injury, whether or not he would have stuck as a weekend starter, and the early season injury to Crawford hurt the team. Starting 2 Fresmen pitchers early in the season and their good performances were a surprise but in the end, the grind got to them. As a result, there weren't many quality starts.

That leads me to the feast or famine with the home run which I believe was brought about due to the runs being allowed by the pitching. When you know the pitchers are, more than likely, going to give up 7 - 9 runs a game, it leads to a different offensive mind. We heard about launch angle swings and complained about no small ball in close games. There were some opportunities to manufacture a run or 2 but the offense didn't execute. That is something that needs to be worked on.

Don't take me wrong. They had some great pitching outings (just not consistent at the end of the year) and scored in bunches at times. I love the Tigers and thought they could win 38 to 40 games the way the season started, then it was obvious, they ran into "the wall". Now with a year under the Freshmen's belts and hopefully a healthy team next year and the Tiger baseball team will turn it around. Go Tigers!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic