Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The smoking pig
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

The smoking pig

Mar 6, 2016, 9:08 AM

Is the best BBQ place I have ever been to. Been to many in my life an had many great meals but the smoking pig is the best and it's not even close. First time there yesterday with the family and can't wait to go back. Do yourself a favor if you haven't been and go. You won't regret it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, your TNet handle is 1 of the best...

Mar 6, 2016, 9:17 AM

And was used, as you & many know, in the earliest years to describe a CLEMSON Man.

Love BBQ too & will try em.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And, your TNet handle is 1 of the best...

Mar 6, 2016, 9:53 AM

thank you bill! you are a scholar and a gentleman sir!

Re: The smoking pig

Mar 6, 2016, 9:25 AM

Lexington NC claims that title "best BBQ" but you are right
it is the best. Why did it take you so long to try it? I hope
they bring it back to the baseball games this year that was a
MAJOR factor for struggling through some baseball games last
year. I could buy a bag of their homemade pork skins and would last all weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2016, 9:53 AM

i live in charleston and we dont get to make it up there very much. when i was a student it was still me-maws kitchen or something to that effect. i bet their catering would improve any situation, let alone a dismal baseball season.

Mar 6, 2016, 10:43 AM

If you haven't already try swing and swine off of 17 in west ashley, it's the only place that I've had that can hold a candle to the smoking pig.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 6, 2016, 9:30 AM

I have never been there but just told my wife were going there in Oct when we come down. Until I try it the best bbq I've had is hammys in Elgin. Don't think it's there anymore, if it is it's a different owner.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you the owner...

Mar 6, 2016, 9:43 AM

Just kidding. I've eaten at BBQ places all over the country. I'd put it in the top 3.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2016, 9:58 AM

The best BBQ I have eaten also......The Smoking Pig is fixing up an old establishment in Easley on Pendleton Street near the Post Office....Can't wait for it to open.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Mar 6, 2016, 2:01 PM

Please tell me your serious...if so this will make my day. I'm a BBQ fanatic and I rarely find myself in Anderson during their hours to actually get to eat there.

Mar 6, 2016, 5:41 PM

I'm Serious...I think They put the sign up last week.

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

My fave is either Sconyers in Augusta or Jacks in Nashville

Mar 6, 2016, 10:04 AM

I need to get to smoking pig. I'm a rib guy though, that's how I grade them.

Re: My fave is either Sconyers in Augusta or Jacks in Nashville

Mar 6, 2016, 10:27 AM

been to sconyers. im from aiken so that and bobbys on the aiken augusta highway are good too.

Re: My fave is either Sconyers in Augusta or Jacks in Nashville

Mar 6, 2016, 3:53 PM

Palmetto Pig in Columbia is similar to Dukes in Orangeburg. Both outstanding pulled pork BBQ places. I remember sconyers in augusta being good, but it's been years since I have been there. I've been to Bobbys, but it doesn't rank well against other BBQ places I have been. Shealys is ok- like it more for the buffet than the BBQ. Looking forward to trying brisket at the smoking pig!!

Mar 6, 2016, 10:32 AM

You've never been to Scott's?

I admit I am biased because I live right down the road from them. I also haven't ate at the smoking pig. Plan to when we go to the spring game. See what all the fuss is about.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Mar 6, 2016, 10:34 AM

I was going to nominate Scott's in Heningway also. Fantastic!

Mar 6, 2016, 10:37 AM

Ain't much to look at from the outside (and you don't want to be on that corner at night) but the food is excellent. Just like the Esso without the "don't be there at night part".

Mar 6, 2016, 10:40 AM

Haha I was going to say the atmosphere could use some improvement but it's still top notch cooking at its best.

Mar 6, 2016, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: The smoking pig ]

Another Hemingway spot, Kenny's, was always very good, too. I say "was" because it's been 10+ years since I've had it. Most of the barbeque in the at Pee Dee area, on down into the lowcountry, is quite good. I get annoyed when people refer to vinegar-based as "NC BBQ". That type of sauce and 'que was born in the Pee Dee region. Neither state should lay claim to it. Mustard, on the other hand, is purely a SC original. It's roots can be traced to the German settlers of the midlands (Lexington/Saxa Gotha).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2016, 11:32 AM

Is Kennys outside of Kingstree?

Mar 6, 2016, 12:05 PM

The smoking pigs brisket is amazing. I remember when I was in college at clemson the smell driving by it made me stop more then once.

Mar 6, 2016, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The smoking pig ]

No it's in Hemingway town limits. Right behind the library and Advance Auto. You'd miss it if you didn't know where it was.

You are thinking of Brown's which is between Lake City and Kingstree (kingstree side of 52). they have really good BBQ but I haven't been there in years so I can't vouch for them.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

Mar 6, 2016, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: The smoking pig ]

Kenny's is awful. God awful. I hate that place. Big D's right down the road is in another galaxy compared to Kenny's. Neither is as good as Scott's but Big D is right there with it. Kenny's is just peppered down thick brown gunk wanna be.

It's good but

Mar 6, 2016, 10:35 AM

Shealy's in Leesville is my favorite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I live in San Jose, CA and order Shealy's vinegar pepper

Mar 6, 2016, 10:39 AM

and mustard based sauces by the case every few months. Best Ive ever had.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does the mustard sauce ever go bad on you?

Mar 6, 2016, 10:43 AM

I also buy in bulk, living in Raleigh, and I've had the mustard sauce turn brown on me.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Does the mustard sauce ever go bad on you?

Mar 6, 2016, 11:18 AM

General rule of thumb.... if it has vinegar in it, you don't need to refrigerate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never had any issues***

Mar 6, 2016, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Does the mustard sauce ever go bad on you? ]

Re: It's good but

Mar 6, 2016, 11:11 AM [ in reply to It's good but ]

Yes! So far Shealy's is my all time favorite. I can't wait to try the Smokin Pig next time I go home to see my parents.

Mar 6, 2016, 11:18 AM

Central BBQ in Memphis is my favorite place. Best ribs besides mine. If you make it that way go to central and skip Rondezvous. It's overrated. For Texas BBQ Hard Eight in Coppell (Dallas) is hard to beat.

Mar 6, 2016, 11:30 AM

I will add these to the list of places to try when in the Memphis and Dallas areas. Thanks for the suggestions!

The Smokin Pig brisket is hands down the best

Mar 6, 2016, 11:23 AM [ in reply to It's good but ]

brisket I have EVER had, anywhere in the south. We live in Lexington, and every time I am in Clemson, when the Smokin Pig is open, I buy at least 3 lbs (@ $17/lb) to bring home. It is like butter in your mouth. I would pay more than $25/lb for their brisket.

I've not tried their barbeque chicken, or pulled pork, but that brisket could not be any better.

I moved to the midlands in the early 90's and was exposed to Shealy's immediately. I've only had their pulled pork and chicken, it is good, but the flavor and tenderness of the Smokin Pig brisket is in a different stratosphere.

My wife occasionally suggests that we drive up from Lexington to Clemson on the weekend, just to pick up several pounds of Smokin Pig brisket. God I love her!!!

Mar 6, 2016, 5:41 PM [ in reply to It's good but ]

Man I agree 100%. I like smoking pig but shealy's is the best. Granted Ive only bee to about 6 or 7 in my life. I also like home team in Chuck town.

I'd Just Like To

Mar 6, 2016, 11:27 AM

learn of an establishment in these parts that offers beef ribs.

Re: I'd Just Like To

Mar 6, 2016, 11:35 AM

First deer hunting trip I took to Oklahomo the guides took us out for BBQ and I didn't realize everything out there was beef. Loved it and I just don't think we have anyone in this state with the know how to properly do it. It is needed though

Re: I'd Just Like To

Mar 6, 2016, 8:22 PM

It's the same in Louisiana. It must be a Texas influence.

if they had hash & rice they'd go from an 8 to a bonafide 10

Mar 6, 2016, 11:48 AM

a BBQ meal is just somehow incomplete without hash and rice.

Re: if they had hash & rice they'd go from an 8 to a bonafide 10

Mar 6, 2016, 11:58 AM

Swig and swine is a nice newer spot in west Ashley, offer many craft brews. Smokin Pig is my favorite in sc.

There is a pretty good spot near the Charlotte Airport, name escapes me.

Columbia has a decent spot near whole foods called midwood I think.

Try Mojo's if ever in the Jax, Fl area.

REAL good

Mar 6, 2016, 1:56 PM

best meat: Parkers Wilson, N.C
best hash: Sconyers Augusta
best sauce and Tea : Carolina bbq New Ellington S.C.
best sides and overall: Smoking Pig

The one gripe about them is they're only open 3 days a week***

Mar 6, 2016, 2:26 PM

How did they get on a Chantix commercial?

Mar 6, 2016, 2:34 PM

It's good but pricey!***

Mar 6, 2016, 9:07 PM

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic