Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My biggest issue with TL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

My biggest issue with TL

Sep 3, 2018, 8:37 AM

Besides that he's a true freshman that has never played a collegiate road game, had a few missed short and long passes on Saturday, and I worry that if we break his confidence now I fear he may never develop into the great QB we all know he can be....

Our pass blocking was less than great on Saturday, especially when it comes to the RB. Missed blocks everywhere. Against Furman.
When TL was in the pocket, it seemed like he had concrete anchors on his feet and couldn't get outside a broken down pocket. His ability to extend plays isn't there yet, and if our blocking stays as-is, this will hurt us. If I was a Defensive Coordinator, I stack the box, take away the run and get Clemson into a one-demisional offense that relies on pass blocking for downfield throws. 3rd and long situations include an extra rush to force a one on one block with the RB, which I'm betting on. Remember, Clemson was only 33% successful on 3rd and long (5 yards or greater) with Lawrence at QB, and 0 for 1 on 4th and long.

KB's ability to scramble does it for me. He's our guy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My biggest issue with TL

Sep 3, 2018, 8:43 AM

Nice post. I'm so confused.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 3:35 PM

TL is much faster than you realize.
Not running the option yet, but "tucking and running".
He is as fast as KB, you will see soon; when he forced out of the pocket.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 6:45 PM

He may be athletic but he is no where near the same speed as kelly. He may me as fast as Deshaun. Go back to Kelly’s freshmen year and watch the Ted he scores against Miami. He was out running corners.

Sep 3, 2018, 8:45 AM

Wait till Trevor Lawrence is being chased down. He will learn to extend plays don’t worry. I bet against Texas a&m you see a different Trevor Lawrence that grows in front of our very eyes

Sep 3, 2018, 8:46 AM

Stacking the box would be catastrophic for TAM. TL has a lightning release (go back and watch how quick it is), and he would hit those quick slants and toast their D. We would win by 40+ if they do that.

No - TL simply missed his reads on those blitzes, and had nowhere to go. TAM has to mix their coverage and confuse TL which will reveal the inexperience. He will have to learn fast. I'm sure our coaches are teaching him already. I think Dabo might have even hinted at that issue during his interview.

We can win with KB, and TL might not see the field much if he makes a couple of mistakes. Bottom line,if TL gets plenty of PT, then we win easily. Otherwise, it will be one of our toughest matches, and the D might have to win it for us.

His worst throws were slants. Missed on 3 of 4***

Sep 3, 2018, 8:51 AM

Re: His worst throws were slants. Missed on 3 of 4***

Sep 3, 2018, 9:35 AM

I think his biggest issue is how hot those passes were, and the WR's not expecting the heat from the lasers. No - TL can always throw EASIER, so that issue can be fixed quickly. It was his FIRST game, and you're calling it a weakness? LOL - whatever.

Sep 3, 2018, 4:52 PM [ in reply to His worst throws were slants. Missed on 3 of 4*** ]

Come on man. Higgins had a drop on a slant that went straight through his hands & the very next play TL made his best throw of the day to Amari on a slant for a first down that would’ve been picked if Kelly had thrown it.

Sep 3, 2018, 6:48 PM

I love Trevor but tee dropped that ball because he was 5 yds away and Trevor threw it 150mph. Too much heat on that one. I understand throwing that hard in tight coverage. But he must have learned because his first td he put the right touch on a crossing/slant rout.

It was the first pass of his career dude...believe he was

Sep 3, 2018, 9:36 PM

A bit amped up. Wasn’t a bad pass... little high and a little to fast but can u imagine how amped up you’d be...?

Comparatively speaking go back and check out KBs first 4 passed... he was pressing too.

Either way, both QBs played about the same. It was Furman, can’t glean too much good or bad from it. We’ll find out what they’re made of next week.

Sep 3, 2018, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

He got sacked one time and the coaches are on the record saying that should have been a run play and the rb never took the handoff.

Sep 3, 2018, 8:51 AM

TLaw isn't the 2nd coming of DW. Great arm but his immobility will limit clemson's offense which is predicated on the QB's ability to run the ball. Could Lawrence have made that 35 yard run?

Correct. Our zone read is gone with TL***

Sep 3, 2018, 8:52 AM

No.***

Sep 3, 2018, 9:09 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great! Zone read is overrated.

Sep 3, 2018, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Correct. Our zone read is gone with TL*** ]

Give me a QB who can drop back, go through his progressions, and deliver the ball all over the field with accuracy, who can also scramble if needed. We have too many weapons at WR and RB to need a run first QB. We saw how that worked last year against good defenses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Less mobility... stronger arm. Time will tell.***

Sep 3, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

Yeah Peyton Manning sure was limited because he struggled to get out of the pocket.

Bad example...

Sep 3, 2018, 7:54 PM

Peyton couldn’t win a national championship at Tennessee. The year after he left, a mobile QB by the name of Tee Martin did win one for the Vols.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

Dawg - shouldn't you be on your bored and worried about UGA missing out on the BEST QB and having to settle for a lot less?

Sep 3, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

Easily. There’s no speed difference between Bryant and Lawrence. I think Lawrence actually has quicker feet in short areas. Bryant just looks to run first.

I don't think TL is as immobile as you seem to think. He may

Sep 3, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

have appeared immobile Saturday, because of his inexperience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

That's funny , DW4 ran it only once in our final drive to the 2016 National Championship . Did you miss that game ?
Running our QB isnt what our offense is predicated on , only a part of it .

I believe my actual dog is smarter than you, man

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 3, 2018, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

As usual you (Superdawg) have no idea no idea what you are talking about. Trevor is very mobile and with a little more game experience he will extend plays.

Sep 3, 2018, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: My biggest issue with TL ]

Don’t be so quick to judge him off the kid’s first college game against a cupcake. Will he be the running threat of a Bryant or Watson? Probably not. But against Furman, I imagine they don’t want tucking and running it. Keep everyone healthy and work on finding your groove through the air. That is afterall what make him a 5 star QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you about our blocking.

Sep 3, 2018, 8:53 AM

That issue is old and never seems to get fixed. I think Robbie should consider retirement. The receivers and backs block poorly too. It's the achilles heel of this team.

Let's see how he continues to develop.......

Sep 3, 2018, 8:55 AM

as I don't remember DW being as good in his first game as he was in the NC winning game against Bama.

Sep 3, 2018, 8:58 AM

Your first paragraph is literally what’s keeping KB back from being a “good” QB...If extending plays is your measurement to a good QB....them d@mn you got low standards. Lol

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Sep 3, 2018, 9:01 AM

If we don’t get TL sufficient meaningful playing time, this will all still be a concern later this season. KB is playing at his potential. TL gives us the best chance to drastically improve at QB. I agree it has to be managed to avoid losing confidence, etc. KB needs to see the most action for now. I feel this is how the staff is seeing/handling this.

Here's how it is.

Sep 3, 2018, 9:03 AM

Neither can run the option. I give em both a big fat goose egg on a 1-10 scale.

TL make accurate throws any time, any where. He struggles to control the velocity of a short pass. I believe this is manageable and will self correct due to him being overly excited by being in an NCAA football game. The newness will wear off in the near future.

KB has medium to high accuracy on short throws but his deep ball is sorely lacking. That's just how it is, how it was last year and it appears to be something he can't overcome.

KB is a fine runner but his running game is diminished due to him not being able to effectively run the option read or the RPO. His inability to torture defenses with his deep ball is also an issue because any decent team will keep a safety more focused on the LOS than our WRs going deep.

TL's deep passing is also significant to our running game because it forces secondaries to focus on passing routes instead of loading up toward the LOS. He won't throw many 25+ yard passes before safeties stop worrying about a running back.

Imo, that's all deep passes are good for. If you want to really control the game you do it by running the ball. We should only throw deep so we can run the ball.

KB's days as our starter are limited. I believe most people know that is true. For the mean time we should keep him as the starter. He's done way too much to make the change before we have to make a change. Right now he's my man too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw two perfect deep balls from Kelly on Saturday

Sep 3, 2018, 9:15 AM

I have not been impressed with Lawrence’s deep balls (spring game or Saturday). Just my $0.02; I agree with much of what you said

I saw 3 bad slant passes from TL, but anytime,

Sep 3, 2018, 9:22 AM

anywhere though, right?

Bryant held to a much higher standard than Lawrence at

Sep 3, 2018, 9:27 AM

this point. He probably should be, as a senior competing against a freshman, but I think a lot of people are seeing what they want to see. It was a mixed bag for both; I think we need both to perform better at TAMU.

Plenty of positives, but also plenty of room for improvement.

Re: Bryant held to a much higher standard than Lawrence at

Sep 3, 2018, 9:48 AM

KB has to hit early on his medium range passes to open up our run game. The OCs need to throw just enough deep balls to make TAMU pay attention. Weather conditions may play a factor as well. I have no problem with winning the old fashioned way of Danny ball!

Give TL some time. I fully expect him to play a considerable amount against Ga. Southern.

Go Tigers ??!!

Yep***

Sep 3, 2018, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Here's how it is. ]

I somewhat agree...

Sep 3, 2018, 9:38 AM

The read option wasn’t functional with him in there (defense just collapsed on the RB and ignored him). He’s not really a threat to hurt you with his feet, no wiggle.

He did look like a statue in the pocket, hopefully he will learn how to slide around back there as he gets more comfortable in the system.

Great arm talent tho, I think it’s going to be a 2 QB system for the first 3 or 4 games, and then one of them will separate themselves from from the other.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss DW4!

Sep 3, 2018, 9:46 AM

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2018, 4:08 PM

Trev is already a great QB , there's nothing anybody can do about that .
Watch it develop over time , his comfort level will be the determination of how fast he goes from potential superstar to absolute superhuman at the position .
When you hear folks claim next level talent or sure fire winner or NFL ready ... they're looking past others to get a glimpse of TL .
He is that guy .

DB23

Re: "can't"

Sep 3, 2018, 5:57 PM

Funny. We really should be almost-unified right now, but some people have evidently been waiting to take their shots at the rest of us.

Those of us who were critical of Kelly's game--the mid-range accuracy is poor, the deep throw is inconsistent, the bubble screen is slow, the crossing routes have been removed from the playbook, the failure to use the RB on the read option, the substitution of a 2-yard scramble and a 3-and-out for the throw where only your guy can go get it--were always told that we didn't know what we were talking about, that if we give Kelly more chances he will prove he has grown the ability to overcome those weaknesses.

In spite of watching KB in extended mopup duty in 2016, over 800 snaps as the starter in 2017, and the spring game, we supposedly didn't have enough data to come to the conclusions we did.

Yet 24 snaps into TL's career, when he certainly wasn't showing out for you, you guys "know" what he "can't" do.

Fair enough to us, not to him.

It's less about what he showed and more about your expectations. Hit the pause button and wait for Saturday. He will only disappoint you if you are wishing for it.

All of the Marines I know are fearless. Interesting.***

Sep 3, 2018, 4:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic