Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mark Richt actually said something insightful...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 4,001

Mark Richt actually said something insightful...

Feb 1, 2021, 12:52 PM

He wasn't talking about us, but he said, "if a team continues to have issues in a position group year after year, you can't blame the players. You have to look at recruiting and the development of those recruits."

I can agree with that, and it made me wonder...

(and as one of you reminded me, it could be NONE of the above.)

Which position group would that apply to with us? Consistent Issues?    [Results]

DBs
OL
DL
TEs
SPECIAL TEAMS
badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

The answer is fairly obvious -- and not sure why you'd even

Feb 1, 2021, 1:00 PM

include DL on that list unless you're trying to be jokey funny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Mark Richt actually said something insightful...

Feb 1, 2021, 1:02 PM

Consistent issues? None of the above.

Each groups has had issues in a given season but none have had consistent issues that reoccur in back-to-back years. The biggest quibble I see might be the DB are only "extremely good" as compared to previous years that were all NFL first rounders.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 1:03 PM

*DL

When was the secondary ALL 1st rounders?***

Feb 1, 2021, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Mark Richt actually said something insightful... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 1:07 PM

Amazing that the Tigers have been as successful as they have. I am
not disagreeing with this post because I have felt for a long time that our OL has not been A1. But it has been good enough with the great coaching that the Tigers has at all positions. I look forward to the day when the center, guards and tackles are the best in the league.

Feb 1, 2021, 2:07 PM

I hope to live long enough to enjoy that success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 1:14 PM

None.

DBs - In the past 3 seasons we have had 2 CBs drafted in the top rounds, could have had a 3rd this season if Kendrick left. We also sent 2 safeties to the NFL last season. The two safeties before them went to the NFL also. Play on the field in those seasons matched their draft status. This year we had 1 safety who was a 2nd team All American and one spot that underperformed as a 1st year starter. We only had 2 bad games in the secondary all year and had players missing each time.

OL - (Closest to what he said) We were not good this year, but pretty much everybody saw it coming with 2 bad years in a row of recruiting (18-19). 20-21 recruiting showed that was not a trend. This group falls into what Richt said if we don't see an upward trend the next 2 seasons, but at this point we have only had 1 bad year.

DL - We lost 5 DL to the NFL 2 years ago and 4 of them made up what was maybe the greatest starting 4 on the DL ever. In '19 we struggled with limited depth and absolutely no experience. In '20 we struggled only against top teams and we were without a returning starter junior for half of the season and a returning starting senior for the whole season.

TEs - Are we actually struggling to perform here or are we struggling to use them? Davis Allen has overperformed his recruiting profile to this point. Galloway has been less then expected, but he did miss an entire season between his 2 years of playing and he has been pretty good when targeted. Both of them were only 3 stars. We also just signed the #1 TE in the country. The transition on the coaching staff basically removes this position from the question because it's about whether or not to look at coaching being a problem and we already made a change.

Special Teams - I'm not sure why this is included. We make almost all of our unblocked FGs. We make XPs. We kick touchbacks. Our punter has gotten better in each of the last 2 seasons (He had 1 bad game this season) and excels in pinning teams inside the 20. Neither area allows big returns. We had 3 kicks blocked in 1 game and fixed the problem before playing again.

Feb 1, 2021, 2:43 PM

As always, comes through with spot on potd.

However, (and I didn't hear or read what richt said) but would challenge your point on TE this decade less GWill. He was pretty highly rated and developed. The 2 highest to this point never developed and rarely used as passing.

As for our oline recruiting, we've had a couple highly rated... Ok maybe 7 (this decade) that were top tier recruits but then surrounding them were 2 and 3 stars.

Same with safety and DB, since DK was really a WR. As for star power, we'd sign one per class at best for 3 positions. Other words out of 30 available positions we've recruited top star power in 5 and 5 solid to low 4 star... And 20 that were 3 or below.

Point being, we've developed pretty darn good but imo, the only weakness is TE. We've had some good ones but never developed to their fullest. Leggett was a 3 star and only TE drafted that ever sniffed the field. Same with oline, we had the star rating but never made it to the bigs except Simpson.

I'm confident you can chew my response to pieces lol.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 1:15 PM

From recruiting standpoint, it is obvious, the OL. We've probably done more with that group in development than the others.

Until this year, our TE lacked in Star power in recruitment. That said, I don't know what the coaches are looking for from TE. We certainly haven't utilized them in the passing game since Leggett.

CB's seem to have recruited star power but haven't developed quite as much as OSU. recently, OSU seems to have consistently developed a good group of dbs, whereas we may have one that gets drafted.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 2:06 PM

The OL is, and has been, our Achilles Heel for way too long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The correct answer is...

Feb 1, 2021, 3:40 PM

Men's Basketball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Bravo!***

Feb 1, 2021, 9:11 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Replies: 12
| visibility 4,001
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic