Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Last Sugar Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 4,518

Last Sugar Bowl

Dec 10, 2017, 4:10 PM

My high school coach talked about that game often to us. Billy Cannon and LSU.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Last Sugar Bowl

Dec 10, 2017, 5:10 PM

I was there . We had a running back who outgained Cannon. He was # 33

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2017, 5:20 PM

My father went to that Sugar Bowl.

Dec 10, 2017, 5:33 PM

While there, or at least on that trip, he bought a big white cowboy hat. He never wore that hat in my lifetime, which began a little over nine months later, in September. It just stayed on a shelf in his closet, and he always called it his "Sugar Bowl Hat". I always figured I was the result of a Sugar Bowl homecoming celebration.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: My father went to that Sugar Bowl.

Dec 10, 2017, 7:00 PM

Lou Cordileone lived in LSU's backfield that day. It seemed that every time they tried a sweep with Cannon Cordileone had a TFL.

I was hatched a couple of months before that Sugar Bowl

Dec 10, 2017, 8:17 PM [ in reply to My father went to that Sugar Bowl. ]

and some older members of my family (almost all of whom have now passed) always associated the two events in passing conversation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2017, 7:05 PM

They beat us with a halfback pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU was that year's National Champion***

Dec 10, 2017, 7:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LSU was that year's National Champion***

Dec 10, 2017, 9:58 PM

Some trivia from that game: Clemson wore blue jerseys because color TV of the era could handle neither orange nor purple reliably. They called them their "Sugar Blues" and wore them in at least one more home game later. Today's TV transmissions still don't handle purple reliably, although it's much better. Sometimes it takes some adjustment to make it look right.

Unfortunately, the temporary wearing of blue had the effect of lots of Clemson gear being sold in orange and blue for years afterward - making us look like Auburn.

Another TV-related reason for wearing blue...

Dec 11, 2017, 10:13 AM

Was that most TVs were black-and-white. Since Clemson was the "home team" they were entitled to wear orange, but in those days, the orange jerseys showed up poorly on B&W... almost the same as white (which always looked grey). So Clemson wore the darker "blue" jerseys so the folks watching on B&W didn't think everyone was wearing white. Those jerseys were bad luck that day and the other time they were worn, so thankfully, they have been relegated to historical trivia.

The only thing "good" that came from the Sugar Bowl was the original Clemson "rug" that was used the first time the Tigers ran down the hill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU coached by: Pepsodent Paul Dietzel, who eventually

Dec 11, 2017, 7:43 AM

made a huge career blunder by going to South Carolina, the Graveyard of Coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 4,518
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic