Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watson vs Lawrence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Watson vs Lawrence

Jan 8, 2019, 2:38 PM

I'm not going to get into any sort of Watson vs Lawrence debate about who is better. Lawrence will have to finish an amazing career for that comparison to be fair to either of them.

What I would like an opinion on....

I felt like both times that Deshaun played Bama it looked like he was doing everything in his power to perform in the amazing way that he did. He looked exhausted at the end of both games.

Lawrence looked like he didn't even have to try last night. I'm not sure he even had to break a sweat to totally dominate Bama in the way that he did.

Is this about the difference in the Bama defenses or is this about the two players?

Very interested to hear Tnet's opinions on this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since you don't actually know

Jan 8, 2019, 2:40 PM

how tired either of them were this is pointless speculation.

Re: Since you don't actually know

Jan 8, 2019, 2:43 PM

Not just their fatigue after the game but how they looked for the entire game. Watson was slow to get up several times and looked like he was willing himself through the game.

Lawrence never showed any signs of Bama affecting him in any sort of way.

This is not a knock on Deshaun. He was amazing in both games vs Bama.

Well, it's pretty obvious

Jan 8, 2019, 2:42 PM

that Watson was much more a part of the run game than Lawrence is. That probably has something to do with. It's not all that tiring to sit in the pocket and toss to open receivers, after all.

Re: Well, it's pretty obvious

Jan 8, 2019, 2:48 PM

Yep, DW4 was like another running back. Different styles, both effective.

Re: Well, it's pretty obvious

Jan 8, 2019, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Well, it's pretty obvious ]

Fair point. Watson had 20 carries per game against Bama. That is more exhausting.

But man Lawrence sure does make things look easy. Even in his limited rushing attempts (including his awkward hideous looking slides) he seems to be completely un-phased by everything around him.

I would say "cool as a cucumber" but that would bring

Jan 8, 2019, 2:44 PM

Francis Marion in from her salon.

I wouldn't contrast them. However, I'm reminded

Jan 8, 2019, 2:45 PM

of a telling comment from DW4, regarding TL: "He'll be better than me."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson said that about Kelly Bryant

Jan 8, 2019, 11:47 PM

Not Trevor.

Re: Watson vs Lawrence

Jan 8, 2019, 2:47 PM

Lawrence can stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball with ease. As good as DW4 was he did struggle with this at times and that is still evident in the NFL. DW4 was a turnover liability every game. He had what?...17 picks or something like that in 2016? DW4 is still the goat but Trevor will take that title as soon as next season.

Jan 8, 2019, 2:52 PM

Deshaun was 9 TD passes to 1 INT vs Bama in 2 games.

Lawrence is 3 TD passes to 0 INT in 1 game.

The turnovers didn't really cause major problems against Bama for Deshaun.

On the other hand, it could be argued that if Deshaun doesn't throw the INT in the first game against Bama that it could have turned into what we saw last night. That INT gave Bama momentum (and points) and allowed them to be close enough to try some of the crazy things in the end that helped them win.

But my real point is how amazingly easy Lawrence makes things look on the field.

That bore on the minds of the men on ESPN's Filmroom.

Jan 8, 2019, 2:59 PM

At first they couldn't see how well TL was playing because he made it look so easy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama's D in 15/16 was better than this year's and had fewer

Jan 8, 2019, 2:56 PM

injuries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama's D in 15/16 was better than this year's and had fewer

That is so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like you said, it's not time yet.

Trevor has better receivers. No offense to our past players but it's my opinion. We have a better defense, again no insult intended. Our coaching staff is more complete and sophisticated and lacks any form of the gimmick which provided DW with all the opportunity to risk his life to win a game.

Imo, Trevor is more ready for the NFL than DW was at the time. DW was more suited for the gimmick offense we ran at the time. I also believe when Trevor is a Jr there will be no such discussions about who was and is the best quarterback who ever wore our Paw.

I offer no offense to anyone and hope none take offense over my opinion. I'm not going to argue if anyone disagrees.

Re: Like you said, it's not time yet.

Jan 8, 2019, 3:06 PM

DW4 elevated our program to a height most of us only wished. TL will continue that and elevate us even more.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Offensive line play was better last night.***

Jan 8, 2019, 3:06 PM

Jan 8, 2019, 3:08 PM

There are multiple factors that make the 2 different situations:

1. Personally I do think Alabama's D was better in 15 & 16

2. But I think ALOT can be said but hasn't so far from you all is the OL. I definitely think this is the best OL we have had since I can remember. They gave up 0 sacks last night! I don't even remember too many times where TLaw was really pressured.

3. As some of you have mentioned DW4 was built in to the run game so much more. Not that TLaw can't run but with the combination of our OL,WR's, RB's and TLaw's incredible arm. As all the guys have been saying since last night. This is the best Clemson team we have ever had! All around we were just so balanced.

Jan 8, 2019, 3:35 PM

I would agree it's mostly attributed to the number of carries DW was asked to take. Also, he took way more hits in the pocket. Just picking yourself up from the ground time after time takes it's toll.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic