Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just looked up the Coots '69 ACC title in football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 3,650

Just looked up the Coots '69 ACC title in football

Feb 12, 2015, 5:33 PM

No other team in the conference that year had a winning record.

So the ONE Conf. Championship they won was against teams that were mediocre or worse. So, should they have an * beside that championship. "We were the best against very BAD competition.

Unfortunately, includes our Tigers. We finished 4-6 that year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just looked up the Coots '69 ACC title in football

Feb 12, 2015, 5:41 PM

Let's concern ourselves with the life and times of the CLEMSON TIGERS

Foresttiger

Feb 12, 2015, 7:20 PM

Just had a coot today talk about how great the lamecocks are so I couldn't help myself. I am totally focused on our Tigers. Sometimes you have to respond to the ignorance and their total oblivion to who they really are.

I never jab at the lamecocks but sometimes just can't help it

Re: Foresttiger

Feb 12, 2015, 7:50 PM

....any of us old guys can tell you, the cluckers pulled some shenanigans with recruiting I think and I think were either stripped or got some probation, and I am saying to the whole world, Pepsodent Paul was a bigger turd than Ball Sack is, if you can imagine that.....

I think their 69 ACC sign is bigger than our 81 NC

Feb 12, 2015, 5:49 PM

in the stadiums.

Re: I think their 69 ACC sign is bigger than our 81 NC

Feb 12, 2015, 6:58 PM

That's b/c they don't need room for anything else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think their 69 ACC sign is bigger than our 81 NC

Feb 12, 2015, 7:14 PM

Now that's funny. Delusional coot logic. Wow. You just can't make that stuff up.

One Conf. Championship in over 100 years of football - and that one is suspect. Beat no teams over .500

that just goes to show that the old saying " the truth hurts

Feb 12, 2015, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I think their 69 ACC sign is bigger than our 81 NC ]

,sometimes" is true, and alive and well, at that ! lol at your post. +1.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2015, 5:50 PM

Lost two games by 25 points. Lost one by 15 points and then got beat in the bowl by West Virginia by 11. What a championship!!

Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship,

Feb 12, 2015, 6:00 PM

the only one we have won in over 20 years- lost 4 of our last 6 games, lost to South Carolina, and got blown out by West Virginia by almost 40 points in the bowl game.

Tell'em Coot***

Feb 12, 2015, 6:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember what Auburn did to the coots in 2010? 56-17. That was awesome. The

Feb 12, 2015, 6:39 PM

closest they're ever going to get, and it was a 39-point blowout. Hilarious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship,

Feb 12, 2015, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship, ]

Hey coot, USuC didn't win anything in 2011!!

Feb 12, 2015, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship, ]

Nice try loser coot but that 35-17 has that butt twisted in a knot. Just calm down and remain on your pathetic coot sites for a big group hug. Youll never measure up

Feb 12, 2015, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship, ]

and another pathetic chicken fan posing as a clemson fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 12, 2015, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship, ]

No. We beat the defending national champions, Auburn, FSU and VT twice. All ranked.

Feb 12, 2015, 7:07 PM

Three of the games they beat us, was with us going through coaching changes along with us rebuilding from a 12 recruit season. And with Dabo peddling the learning curve from WR coach, to first time ever of leading any part of a team. But that's ok, what they say now!!!

That's the point thevalley484

Feb 12, 2015, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship, ]

Who did the coots beat in 69? No one. And they stii haven't.

And more on the 65 season - had forgotten this

Feb 12, 2015, 9:38 PM

DURHAM, N.C. - When Duke defeated North Carolina 34-7 in John Gutekunst’s last college game on Nov. 20, 1965, the Blue Devils celebrated their seventh ACC championship – actually a shared title with South Carolina.

Less than two months later, the conference took the title away from the Blue Devils – not because of anything Duke did wrong, but because South Carolina cheated.

It was just as confusing and as controversial then as it was now.

The problem came to light in the winter of 1966, after Paul Ditezel succeeded Marvin Bass as athletic director and head football coach at South Carolina. Dietzel discovered that Bass has used two ineligible players during the 1965 season. When he reported the school’s transgressions to the ACC office, Commissioner Jim Weaver ruled that the Gamecocks would have to forfeit every ACC game in which the two ineligible players participated in – which was all of them.

That created a problem, since the ACC did not play a balanced schedule that season. Duke and South Carolina played six conference games, while Clemson and N.C. State played seven. When the regular season ended, the top of the standings looked like this:

Duke: 4-2
South Carolina: 4-2
Clemson: 4-3
N.C. State: 4-3

The Gamecocks had beaten Clemson and N.C. State, but lost to Duke on the field. So when the forfeits were factored into the standings, the new order of finish became:

Clemson: 5-2
N.C. State: 5-2
Duke: 4-2
South Carolina: 0-6

On that basis, the ACC stripped Duke of its co-championship and declared Clemson and N.C. State co-champions.

“[We won it] on the field,” Gutekunst said. “It’s the wrong way to do it. Give Duke credit, they still honor it, even if the conference doesn’t recognize it."

In the 54-year history of the ACC, no other team has ever had to forfeit a game or has been stripped of its title due for any reason – including teams found in violation of ACC and NCAA rules.

Feb 12, 2015, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Sounds a lot like our 2011 conference championship, ]

Yeah, that last ACC championship we won was in a down year for us.

Oh well, atleast we have about 13 others in the trophy case to be prouder of. How about yall coots?

Feb 12, 2015, 9:41 PM

As bad as I dislike the Coots, let them bask in their one accomplishment. Even though it was almost 50 years ago, it is the highlight of their suckey program.

The same way they won their only $EC Least title.***

Feb 13, 2015, 7:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 21
| visibility 3,650
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic