Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's offensive line blocking, stupid......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 2,576

It's offensive line blocking, stupid......

Oct 12, 2014, 9:24 AM

For all the people crying about running out of the shotgun in short yardage situations., learn the game of football and go rewatch the past 15 years of college football. Or how about go compare Travis Zachary (whom nobody considers an all time great, even though he did once have the TD record) converting on short yardage situations out of the shotgun in 2000 and 2001. Then watch the 2007 and 2008 seasons when we struggled in short yardage situations, with the QB under center, with two of our best running backs ever in CJ Spiller and James Davis. Now why was Travis Zachary so much more successful out of the shotgun in converting short yardage situations over Spiller and Davis who had trouble converting in short yardage situations from under center. Travis Zachary had an offensive line that blocked good.

So with our own recent history at Clemson, we know that it's not the formation that is most important in short yardage situations, it's offensive line blocking.

Let's bring the 50,000 ton elephant into the room now. Robbie Caldwell. Caldwell is working with a whole lot more talent on the oline than what we had in those years I mentioned (2000-2001, 2007-2008). Yet, they are playing so bad they make the 2007 and 2008 olines look like they had no trouble blocking. Both of our QB's have took a ton of big hits this season. The running backs, and yes we have some talented RB's in Gallman and Choice, have no holes to run through. Watch our olinemen, their footwork is terrible. Most plays they shuffle their feet once and just stand to block. Out of all the positions on our team, the oline are the only ones who have terrible footwork. We have an oline coaching problem, and it's time to make a change. A change should have been made after last season, with the way a very experienced oline underperformed. There is a reason why Caldwell, before coming to Clemson, had never coached at program with any kind of history over the course of his coaching career which spans back to the mid 70's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the failed 4th down conversion, the entire left side was.

Oct 12, 2014, 9:43 AM

standing around about 2 yards behind the LOS watching the play. No push whatsoever or demonstated effort to try and get the half yard we needed. They simply stand up, hand pat their guy for 1-2 count and then watch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly, thats the way they have played all season...

Oct 12, 2014, 9:47 AM

complete lack of fundamentals.

Re: It's offensive line blocking, stupid......

Oct 12, 2014, 9:44 AM

Very well said !
But, that said: swinney is the real 500 pound problem with the offensive line. Can't recruit them, can't develop them.

I actually think Swinney believes he is doing great with the offensive line. Swinney is not a coach. He is a "mouth of the south" cheerleader.

Robbie Caldwell needs to be placed on the next greyhound leaving Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep up with recruiting, we have been bringing talented...

Oct 12, 2014, 9:59 AM

linemen that we haven't brought in for a longtime. Over the past few years we have brought in a whole lot of 3-5 star olinemen. So yes we are recruiting good olinemen.

Re: Keep up with recruiting, we have been bringing talented...

Oct 12, 2014, 10:15 AM

The last two cycles we've signed only two Olinemen in each class. One (Crowder) was a four star, the others were 3 stars. How do figure that's a "whole lot"?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crowder was a 5 star, and by few years I meant the last 3-4

Oct 12, 2014, 10:24 AM

seasons. Look at the numbers over the last 3-4 years and we have brought in a whole lot of talented olinemen. Plenty of 4 stars.

Crowder was NOT a 5 star prospect

Oct 12, 2014, 3:24 PM

ESPN, Rivals, 247, and Scout listed him as a 4 star. Signing 2 OL in each of the last 2 classes, poor evaluation and development and keeping guys on the roster were clear busts are a bigger factor. Here are the Crowder links:

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/144293/tyrone-crowder
Rivals: http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Tyrone-Crowder-131909
247: http://247sports.com/Player/Tyrone-Crowder-15367?Institution=17259
Scout: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5864036

Your ESPN link brings up page not found....

Oct 12, 2014, 3:48 PM

If it's poor evaluation and development that makes Caldwell look even worse, because evaluation and development are his responsibilities. So, you're just proving me right that Caldwell is doing a terrible job.

It still shows a 4 star rating.

Oct 12, 2014, 4:07 PM

Try this:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/144293/tyrone-crowder

You still want to maintain Crowder was a 5 star recruit?

^^^Hasn't heard of our 2015 class

Oct 12, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: It's offensive line blocking, stupid...... ]

Dude, that is so dumb it's beyond funny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oh so Dabo is the Oline coach?

Oct 12, 2014, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: It's offensive line blocking, stupid...... ]

You're an idiot. It's Robbie Caldwell's job. And next up is Chad Morris, the OFFENSIVE coordinator.

Oct 12, 2014, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: It's offensive line blocking, stupid...... ]

My glasses might be foggy. I read your screen name as domduck but then read your post. It must be dumbduck

Oct 12, 2014, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Re: It's offensive line blocking, stupid...... ]

You are an idiot! Your ignorance is boundless

It's offensive line blocking, stupid.........pretty much.***

Oct 12, 2014, 9:46 AM

Morris calls plays AS IF we had a power O line.***

Oct 12, 2014, 9:49 AM

So you want him to stop calling running plays all together..

Oct 12, 2014, 9:50 AM

and just pass every down?

That is what you got out of my post?***

Oct 12, 2014, 9:52 AM

no, your post was kind of vague....

Oct 12, 2014, 9:55 AM

explain to me the kind of running plays we should be running, to back up your claim Morris calls plays like we have a power oline.

when you can't block and only need an inch or so

Oct 12, 2014, 9:53 AM

seems even dumber to start the play 6 yards back

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even when the QB is under center, the RB is

Oct 12, 2014, 9:57 AM

still lined up 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. So you made an invalid point.

not if you have the qb sneak it

Oct 12, 2014, 10:02 AM

our body of work says that play could not be worse than what we are doing

We QB sneaked with Watson last week and didn't score a TD...

Oct 12, 2014, 10:07 AM

had to pass to score a TD on that drive. The QB sneak doesn't work unless the oline blocks good.

so i guess running is hopeless***

Oct 12, 2014, 11:05 AM

Oct 12, 2014, 9:59 AM

Completely agree....well said

Oct 12, 2014, 11:19 AM

If it's 2nd or 3d down and inches we have allowed for negative gain. We have gone backwards. There is less chance for this if we are closer to the finish line ( goal line or first down). You get an inch in one or two shots vs. risking going backwards.

Your point otherwise makes less sense if we do have a substandard OL. Keeping it simple is prob more important in this scenario.

If we occasionally mixed it up that's one thing but we are not and the opposing d lines re pinning their ears back and running downhill with confidence.

It's not working and it does not take a rocket scientist to see why not. Simply percentages. Higher percent chance of success when the ball is closer to the goal line. In a power formation the qb hand the ball off under center as an option (so rb lining up 5 yards back is irrelevant). Qb sneak is also an option, etc.

Imagine your a linebacker for Louisville - it's 2nd and inches on the one yard line. You see the qb drop back in shotgun. You think, "hell yea"....

Fail on your part....

Oct 12, 2014, 11:42 AM

did you read my OP about how Travis Zachary was able to score a ton of TD's out of the shotgun. And how we struggled in 2007 and 2008 under center with Spiller and Davis. Next time back your argument up with facts. It's offensive line blocking, stupid.

Re: Fail on your part....

Oct 12, 2014, 3:00 PM

Your argument is weak. For sh&t's and giggles let's say the offensive line stinks. Ok, now then - how does putting the qb in shotgun help overcome that weakness? It's not about the o line. That's not the point. It takes an actual iq of over 100 to grasp this difficult concept. Putting the ball closer to the line decreases the chance of the ball going backwards. Especially in a 2nd or down situation.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...

Oct 12, 2014, 3:43 PM

We scored easily with Travis Zachary out of the shotgun, for two years under center with Spiller and Davis we struggled under center. It's offensive line blocking , stupid. You can't disprove what I stated, because that is what actually happened. It only takes an IQ of 35 to understand that.

Re: Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit...

Oct 12, 2014, 7:34 PM

Man, I don't think I am going to break through here. But one last try. Say your right. Our offensive line and Robbie Caldwell are no good. I am giving you that. Say that lining up in the shotgun can work (even with less than superhero backs). I am super excited for you that you follow Clemson football and are familiar with stats and Travis Zachary. HOORAY - you are a super hero Clemson fan. Congrats. It has nothing to do with the point everyone is trying to make. The point is with OUR CURRNE LINE AND COACHES BEING WHO THEY ARE AND HOW THEY BLOCK that playing the ball in a power formation under center has less chance for error (or being stopped or worse losing yards). I am puzzled how this is somehow complicated. If anything you further the point. All things being equal (talent is what it is) then play the percentages. The percentages are GREATER for success when the ball is closer to the line of scrimmage. If the oline is subpar then that only strengthens the point.

Thank you. Glad people are finally catching on. Bye, caldwell***

Oct 12, 2014, 11:30 AM

Caldwell is going nowhere.

Oct 12, 2014, 3:11 PM

He will be proving idiots like you wrong in the next couple of years here at Clemson.

There is a building process that has been hampered with injuries.

This is what year three under Caldwell?

Go look at how long it took Trickett to get FSU's OL's woes fixed. Despite, their annual top 5 recruiting classes and get back with me.

*I'll give you a hint, 2012 was their turning point with their O-Line.

This is his fourth year and so far this is...

Oct 12, 2014, 3:52 PM

By far the worst year under his tenure . There is a reason he was at Vanderbilt for 11 seasons. If I was wrong about Caldwell, he would have proved me wrong last year. Last year we had a very experienced oline and they did not play good.

It's basic football, stupid.***

Oct 12, 2014, 3:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's basic football, stupid.***

Oct 12, 2014, 4:26 PM

It is disturbing though that they don't have any sort of go to play for those situations. Ole Miss just puts in a gigantic guy and runs him off their best lineman. I think yesterday was the first time it didn't work. Morris just seems stubborn (like all coaches).

Replies: 34
| visibility 2,576
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic