Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is your college football commitment/passion less this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Is your college football commitment/passion less this year?

Nov 13, 2020, 10:31 AM

I’m just wondering if I’m the only one who feels a bit less into this 2020 season due to the small or no crowds, the different conferences starting at different times and the general uncertainty of the week to week schedule.

I feel like it would be even lower if Clemson wasn’t a title contender once again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is your college football commitment/passion less this year?

Nov 13, 2020, 10:36 AM

Different for sure. we have been to All of the home games and hope to travel where ever the Tigers play post season. But you are right, a little bit of the edge is gone. It’s probably not a bad thing as my blood pressure is probably lower.

I do find it very interesting the differences in teams. It must be extremely difficult for a coaching staff to keep their guys dialed in when there is so much uncertainty. I think case in point is Michigan and Penn State.

Here’s to hoping we can complete the season in Miami!

Nov 13, 2020, 10:37 AM

Absolutely. I thought it would be higher since my son is a freshman this year, but because of so many things going on at Clemson, I have lost a lot of enthusiasm.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

To me, the one big downer is that we don't get to stomp some

Nov 13, 2020, 10:38 AM

Coot feathers at the end of the year. They are probably the ones that put that "SEC only" schedule idea into Sankey's head, knowing it would take away one guaranteed loss for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2020, 10:42 AM

Yes, but I'm just glad there is a season of some sort.

It's 2020 after all. Nothing feels the same.

I am in the minority on this one, but I am MORE passionate

Nov 13, 2020, 11:00 AM

this year. I am actually really bummed there is not a game this weekend, but it is really good our guys get to heal up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

It really did drop precipitously for me

Nov 13, 2020, 11:11 AM

It all started with the BLM rally the players organized. It just broke my spirit to see the players supporting such a divisive movement.

Since then I decided that I will watch some CFB games but have distanced myself from all other things related to sports in general since athletes have decided they are not athletic entertainers anymore. No more tickets, merchandise or funding..I am done.

Add in the diminished crowds, the cancellation of rivalries and the removal of weekly playing probability and I just lost all passion. No more College Gameday on Saturday mornings, nor Thurs night football Maction. I just don't have the same desire for consumption of athletics this year and I doubt it will return.

In the past a loss to ND would have ruled my attitude for the next week. At the end of the game, I felt a slight disappointment but had no problem falling asleep.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: It really did drop precipitously for me

Nov 13, 2020, 11:30 AM

You described my feelings exactly.

Re: It really did drop precipitously for me

Nov 13, 2020, 8:55 PM [ in reply to It really did drop precipitously for me ]

Bwahahahahah

Nov 13, 2020, 11:43 AM

I have not changed my desire to watch Clemson play, nor has the passion I feel during the games changed at all.

What has changed greatly for me is my desire to watch anyone else play or how intently I watch when I choose to do so.

This is simply because the product on the field in most games this year is crap.

Clemson vs Notre Dame may have been the first game I watched all season where both teams were worth watching during the game.

There have been tons of blowouts, tons of players missing, and tons of inconsistent play even from the quality teams. Those things make it hard to stay tuned in to a game for the duration.

I will typically flip channels and have football on for most Saturdays, but my attention is waning because college football is turning into college basketball in terms of the level of play.

I am also down to about 10 minutes of professional football per week, because I simply do not care who wins any of those games.

I did not watch more than an inning of MLB and I did not watch a second of the NBA. Not for any sort of political reasons, but simply because I had better things to do with my family and friends.

I still watch the PGA Tour because golf can be watched how I now watch most other sports. Off and on throughout the day without really missing anything that is happening.

Nov 13, 2020, 11:49 AM

You came close to describing my viewing habits to a T.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Nov 13, 2020, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Is your college football commitment/passion less this year? ]

Same as TigersO here

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 13, 2020, 12:01 PM

Yes, my energy level is definitely down compared to past seasons. Understandable, given all that's going on. MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL were useless this year, as far as I'm concerned. The Tigers are the only team I actually get excited about, but the mediocre play has dampened my spirit somewhat. And many of the other games are not any better. Good to have this week off. The team and many of us have to recharge the batteries. Hopefully, they will be sharper in Tallahassee. Same for me.

Nope, especially not for Clemson Football. As passionate as

Nov 13, 2020, 12:01 PM

ever for it!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm as invested as ever in Clemson football,

Nov 13, 2020, 12:05 PM

But I haven't watched many other games at all. Assuming we win out, I assume it's just going to be Alabama, OSU, ND, and us in the playoff, and I will be pumped for that.

The rest doesn't matter to me because it's impossible to compare teams when there was basically no OOC and teams are playing different numbers of games. Bowl selections / requirements are going to be really wonky as well.

I'm just hopeful for a Trevor Lawrence Heisman and a playoff run at this point in the college football season. The rest of the college season hasn't really captivated me.

I've watched as much NFL as ever though. I'm guessing it's because they are keeping the schedule as normal as possible, so the competition seems more legit.

My financial commitment is theoretically less

Nov 13, 2020, 12:17 PM

But they haven't refunded my tickets so..maybe not

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 13, 2020, 12:21 PM

Way less.

Dialed in for our games (but maybe a LITTLE less CRAZED

Nov 13, 2020, 12:40 PM

about the whole thing) and definitely a good bit more blase [with the little accent degrave thingy] in general.

I don't like the feeling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Nov 13, 2020, 12:45 PM

It has not changed for me. I watch games on TV, so crowd size, tailgating, etc. isn't a factor for me. I also don't concern myself about cancellations/postponements.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Nov 13, 2020, 12:52 PM

Definitely! My interest in football (and basketball) has been waning the last couple of years, Covid has just accelerated things. Still a big college baseball fan.

Excited much less & not traveling to two normal home games..

Nov 13, 2020, 1:20 PM

and I knew TiGERS weren’t #1 material at this stage, and after NDame loss I don’t see them higher than #3 at end of regular season which will be ok since they’ve been in CFP in that 3 position as well as #1 & #2 which is unbelievable for 5 years already.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2020, 1:31 PM

College football...yes
Clemson football...no

I am less inclined to go to games in person, but that is largely due to availability (and price) of tickets. Still, I don't miss one play of our games, and I tune in to College Football Final every Sunday. Heck, Saturday's loss almost killed me...literally...just like the loss before that in January did. I will still celebrate the natty we are going to win just like any other season, and while some might say that it will come with an asterisk, I say that it is a championship that will always be remembered, not just by Tiger fans, but by all college football fans.

But Thanksgiving weekend will certainly not be the same! GO TIGERS!

A good bit less yes.***

Nov 13, 2020, 1:32 PM

yes. between the politics/social issues being force fed to

Nov 13, 2020, 2:07 PM

you along with the lack of crowds in the stands it's a little bit of a "buzz kill" for the sport.

Nov 13, 2020, 2:22 PM

Can I be undecided? I've always wanted to respond to something as undecided, you know cause usually I'm so decisive, even before I know what the issue is. Ask anybody that knows me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My commitment/passion is less this year

Nov 13, 2020, 9:25 PM

for a few reasons:

-COVID-19
-Restricted crowds at the games
-Black Lives Matter/politicization of college football

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still fun. But I don’t look forward to the games quite as much as I used to. The purity of college football is gone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 13, 2020, 9:26 PM

Definitely. I still watch Clemson, however this is the 1st year I won't attend a game since I'm guessing 86 or 87. And it's weird to say, but I've found other things to keep my interest. I cant sit down and love being outdoors, so my yard looks amazing and I'm playing lots of golf.

I miss the road trips probably more than the home games as the traffic situation at Clemson has become a nightmare. I can often get home from a road trip at GT /WF quicker than I can a home game. Plus I had planned on going to B.C. and N.D. this year, so that stunk.

The woke crap going on in the program will fizzle out now that Trump is assumed out and the fact that Cops seem to be getting killed at a higher rate than black folk. And that doesn't seem to bother the players so I doubt you'll see the "blm/antifa" crowd this spring marching at Tillman

Nov 13, 2020, 11:02 PM

The actual game watching experience isn't that different for me but I'm not nearly as involved in the team, or sports in general, otherwise. Can't even come here without seeing constant non football related posts.

Nov 13, 2020, 11:28 PM

No. Thanking God that we have a season. Only distraction form the societal collapse going on around us.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic