Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
increasing to 8 teams only helps the SEC and the non power 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

increasing to 8 teams only helps the SEC and the non power 5

Nov 10, 2014, 10:18 PM

teams.

Each year, you will have 5 champions. 1 odd team. A 2nd SEC team. And 1 at large spot.

8 teams doesn't really do much for me. It's fine. But 4 is really making for a fun regular season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anything beyond 4 dilutes the regular season

Nov 10, 2014, 10:38 PM

The trick is to have a committee not brainwashed. Three teams will almost always be unanimous. The fourth is usually going to be mostly judgement. They way things are going now, there shouldn't be any conference with more than one bid. Miss St. might be the most overrated one seed in history, but they and the rest of their breatheren inflate wins and losses with media driven inflated polls.

I was all in favor of 8 but after seeing the bias, I've

Nov 10, 2014, 11:04 PM

changed my mind-- they would put at least 3 teams from the SEC every year if 8. Expansion would need to go to 16 where each power 5 conf is guaranteed 2 bids for me to be on board with expansion and no conf could have more than 3.

Re: increasing to 8 teams only helps the SEC and the non power 5

Nov 10, 2014, 11:23 PM

The non lower five aren't even part of the picture. The SEC wouldn't get three teams every year. Look at this year by the end of the regular season if you had teams you could have TCU, Baylor, FSU, Oregon, Ohio State, Bama, Mississippi State, and Arizona State. UGA, Auburn, Ol'Miss wouldn't get in UGA they would all have at least three losses.

Nov 10, 2014, 11:25 PM

Sorry I hope you can follow my spell check on my phone changed some words and I left out 8.

Nov 10, 2014, 11:25 PM

I'm all for moving to an 8 team playoff! You have your 5 conference champions. It's takes a pretty good regular season to win your conference championship. And then there are 3 at large bids. Yeah most years there will be two sec schools but it opens up so many more doors. For instance this year you could have
13-0 Florida State
12-1 Bama
12-1 Oregon
11-1 TCU
11-1 Mississippi State
11-1 Baylor
12-1 Ohio State
11-2 Arizona State
(That's the way I would see it playing out)
All of these teams would have very similar resumes with very strong regular seasons. And I would love to watch those football games!

^^^^^this^^^^ diluting the regular season

Nov 10, 2014, 11:52 PM

is a non issue if conf champs are in. This is such a no brainer. would actually add interest to the regular season if fans knew that their team wouldn't get screwed by the committee. Win your conf and no excuses.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2014, 11:40 PM

I would love to see a 16 team playoff with the 1st round played at the home of the top 8 seeds.

Top 8
FSU
Oregon
Bama
TCU
Baylor
Ohio State
Mississippi State
Arizona State

Next 8
Michigan State
Clemson
UGA
Kansas State
ND
Ol' Miss
Arizona
Wisconsin

Nov 11, 2014, 1:27 PM

lets just go ahead and say the sec is better than the other power 5 conferences and have the 4 team playoff teams come from the 4 other power conferences and the winner on the sec conference championship would play the winner of the playoff teams for the nc. that would take all the bias out of it right?

Whoa, D'Artagnan.

Nov 11, 2014, 12:02 AM

Let's see how 4 works out for a post-season finale first. Football makes for a long season - there are likely 15 teams still in the mix right now for those few spots, to be decided over the next four weekends. I can't remember a regular season that's packed this much punch since the old bowl days. At least then there were 1-3 bowl games that were all factoring in to the championship, covering about 4 legitimate teams. The BCS condensed all that to only one game, turning the rest into parades and taking a lot of teams out of the equation too early.

Picking the 2 teams was always going to leave one or two legitimate #2 contenders out. 4 teams solves that. Besides, logistically how is this going to work? FBS Power 5 football programs are Army-sized when you factor in the staff, bands, personnel, media, family, and of course the tens of thousands of fans. For two schools to have to re-group and re-fire into a whole different part of the country to play another game in hardly a week's time is going to be some kind of feat to pull off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whoa, D'Artagnan.

Nov 11, 2014, 12:17 AM

Well we have the old 1-AA as a blueprint they've been doing it for years. The 1st two rounds on the higher seeds campus in December and the final 4 the 1st two weeks of January. The kids are out of schoo most of December and the first two weeks of January so they wouldn't miss class because of travel.

Can you image if Clemson got to play it's first two playoff games at home the excitement that would cause around clemson.

Nov 11, 2014, 7:31 AM

If you go to 8 teams and want to still maintain the importance of the regular season play the first round at the home stadium of the higher seed. Home field is HUGE in college football so I can't see any teams not fighting for it.

Wrong

Nov 11, 2014, 7:44 AM

Had we beat USuCk last year we would have made the 8, not so sure about 4.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you punish losses, you discourage good OOC matchups

Nov 11, 2014, 12:58 PM

And I want to see more power5 OOC games so that we can better evaluate the conferences.

The SEC West hasn't really had to prove it's worth against the other conferences. LSU>Wisc, Bama>WVU, Aub>KSt, and Ark>TTech is it. 7 teams, 4 games against decent OOC competition. (although calling TTech 'decent' is a stretch) And those first 3 were very competitive.

A 2-loss national champ that got hot at the end is okay with me.

Let's go to 8 teams, then all 5 conf champs are in. Does that make the regular season cheap?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic