Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing

Dec 21, 2018, 10:01 AM

Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing

With much of the early signing period in the books, Clemson sits in the top-5 in the 2019 recruiting rankings on average. The Tigers’ class saw movement on Thur Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CYCLING OUT!

Dec 21, 2018, 10:26 AM

You have to love what our coaches have been doing for the last several years in turning this program into a culture that great young men want to be a part of. Thank you Coach Swinney for sharing your vision with us.

Go TIGERS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CYCLING OUT!

Dec 21, 2018, 5:40 PM

Todd Ellis, Clemson is cycling out alright, cycling out 14 senior FB players with meaningful degrees, and mostly with BS degrees and 2 with a Masters degree. Put that in your sentence of Clemson cycling out, somebody may believe you with that being said over the bull sh!t that you actually meant with Clemson is cycling out of top FB talent!!! If you could possibly be honest with yourself and tell the truth, you would say that Clemson rotates and reloads with a steady stream of top FB talent that Dabo and staff brings into the Clemson FB program consistently on a yearly basis!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CYCLING OUT!

Dec 21, 2018, 7:39 PM

Todd Ellis is a great representative of the coots. He seems just as stupid as most of their fan base, and he is just as clueless when it comes to what greatness really is. He fits right in down there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing

Dec 21, 2018, 11:08 AM

I think that is higher than we have ever had. Keep in mind that over the last few years when Oregon, FSU, Texas, USC, etc. were "beating" us in the recruiting rankings, we were going to the playoffs, going to national championship games and winning a national championship. That astounds me. I'd say our coaches know more about the recruits than those websites and they know how to turn those recruits into winning teams. Let's continue to enjoy this ride!

Dec 21, 2018, 11:36 AM

Success breeds success. Nothing is more obvious than that when it comes to Tiger football. And don't you think for a minute that the tv guys arent helping the cause.Hate all you want but we wouldn't be in this position without ESPN and others !

Dec 21, 2018, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing ]

I totally agree! We seem to be doing just fine in spite of all the "expert" opinions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2018, 12:17 PM

We're actually tied #12 with Michigan using Rivals' average star rating, not 5th. We're 5th based on their "points," which is primarily because we have the largest early signing day class of the top 15-20 schools.

It's nice to be ranked high, but I think the program has consistently evaluated talent (and fit, of course) much better than Rivals....

In Rivals team ranking, only the points of your 20 top

Dec 21, 2018, 1:29 PM

recruits count. A large class helps because some of the guys that rivals undervalues no longer count. Yesterday we added Putnam who is worth 152 points so we dropped from the 20 that count a low 3 star worth 75 points. Thus a net 77 point gain, so we went from 2513 to 2590 points. And points are what matter not average star.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: In Rivals team ranking, only the points of your 20 top

Dec 21, 2018, 4:16 PM

Article implies we’re 5th using avg star. Good to know Rivals has a cutoff, but 20 is too high. Players 15-20 likely have little impact on wins/losses ever. They’d be on average the 60th-80th most talented players on the team—I know, a generalization. Plus, if cutoff is 20, in years where we sign ~18 players, wouldn’t we have an artificially low points-based ranking?

Re: In Rivals team ranking, only the points of your 20 top

Dec 22, 2018, 4:50 AM

Valuing the guys at 15-20 makes all the difference in the world. They are, as a rule coming in at the 60th to 80th best player and probably aren't going to play much when it matters but you are counting on them to be the backbone of your two-deep four to five years from now or you are wasting your time.

Dec 21, 2018, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing ]

Bingo

Dec 21, 2018, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Recruiting rankings: Clemson cracks top-5 after Putnam signing ]

Bingo

Dec 21, 2018, 12:20 PM

Congratulations to the coaches on another banner year for recruiting. We obviously have many more years of success to look forward to....

I find these rankings interesting.....'Bama is .33 ahead of GA.....and 3.64 ahead of Clemson......What does that mean (other than an average)? Is it actually possible to discern between a group of players by .33 or even 3.64? 1,2,3.....is enough I think...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2018, 1:15 PM

+1 keen observation Cali Tiger

Points are what matter not average star

Dec 21, 2018, 1:35 PM

Each player is assigned a number from 30 for a 2 star to 250 for the #1 player nationally (TL last year). Rivals points are also based on grade (5.2 - 6.1) not stars, because not all 4 stars are the same or 3 stars for that matter. Points are also added for national ranking.

The Dude abides

So Huntern Renthrow hurt our recruiting ranking

Dec 22, 2018, 6:17 AM

but we made up for it with our second highest recruit Korie Rogers (6.0) and other 4 star recruits like Demarre Kitt (5.9)and Jaelon Oglesby (5.8)

Except for the Davis Brothers that were 2 stars and 5.2 rating, 3 of our 5 lowest rated 3 star players were Kendall Joeseph, Jalen Williams and CJ Fuller (5.5).

I guess Hunter didn't hurt us because he was a walk-on and didn't get a scholly for another year

Hunter Renfrow + 2.4 average star rating for NFL OL Starters

Dec 22, 2018, 7:42 AM

all mean the evaluation of talent is far more important than where you rank on ESPN, Rivals, Scout, 247, etc. Bellicheck takes players other teams have no use for and turn them into household names. When those players want too much money; he trust his evaluation process and go gets another player who fits what they do.
"FIT"!
I would also like to point out when Oregon was just getting rolling with Chip Kelly and was the hottest thing in CF. They were somewhere between 22-28 nationally recruiting! That didn't change until later where they started getting (Nike gear) better players and the flashy uniforms!

Boise State use to get all the players from California everybody else picked over and would turn around and beat most of those same Pac 12 teams.

The point is: "the coaches know what type of players they want"! Anybody putting a bunch of stock in the "we didn't finish in the top or top 3" should relax! Go get a top 300 list from 10 years ago and see how many of those "can't miss prospects" never really did a thing in college. During that same span; if it's available; pull up the # of kids who were preferred walk ons who eventually became scholarship players and key contributors. Well, walk ons and 2 and 3 star players I should have said. It would astound you! I know it blew my mind looking up some of the class rankings and player rankings: finding out how so many top recruits "never panned out"!
Good Job coaches! Nothing you guys have done to date makes me think this class won't be just as successful! Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

U R Loud Wrong

Dec 23, 2018, 9:07 PM

and your use of an (exception to the rule) as evidence-screams it_

I wish Dabo would pay more attention to Tigernet

Dec 21, 2018, 12:36 PM

so he would know that stars are important. He doesn't even know how many stars some of his players have and still chose some 3 star players when we could have got 4 star players.

And then there is the whole short shortsightedness of offensive line recruiting. Clearly we need to sign 4 players no matter what. We have 2 graduating and only signed 3. 15 scholarship OL is clearly not enough, especially when in a couple years our current players will be graduating.

He just doesn't get it.

Signed MOT

Congrats to coaches & recruits

Dec 21, 2018, 1:20 PM

... on another great class. Agree with TNet observations and will add — as important as o-line and d-line are, QBs like DW4 & TL16 and skill players like Tigers have recruited the past 5-7 yrs cover up the very few rough spots ...

Dec 21, 2018, 1:36 PM

Those lazy eyes...you know they conceal something...

Dec 21, 2018, 6:06 PM

Keep feeding the machine and roll on brothers. Go Tigers

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic