Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In a tough spot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

In a tough spot

May 11, 2017, 12:13 PM

Make really really good money but have a horrible boss and hate going to work every day. Starting to effect my home life. Any advice?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you know the answer to your own question***

May 11, 2017, 12:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Kill your boss

May 11, 2017, 12:16 PM

Problem solved

Re: Kill your boss

May 11, 2017, 12:27 PM

Start looking around but you must stay patient. I went through the same thing and prayed every day on the way home for a new job opportunity. It took about 6 months but the door opened for my dream job and that is where I retired from. Friends are a good source of job opportunity. Everybody knows somebody. Good luck and remember, patience. Don't jump at the first opportunity to get out. It may not be the right one. I did that too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2017, 12:43 PM

Ditto to this post, not "Kill your boss"

May 11, 2017, 12:53 PM

Also look for jobs, via Indeed or other sites, during lunch. Made me feel better.

Also remember, you are probably not the only one who hates the boss, but don't share it with anyone.

As far as they know "you love your boss"

May 11, 2017, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Kill your boss ]

And never let a soul at work get an inkling that you are looking for a greener pasture!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe if you understood affect vs effect your boss wouldn't

May 11, 2017, 12:24 PM

hate you so much?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Maybe if you understood affect vs effect your boss wouldn't

May 11, 2017, 2:01 PM

https://careers.snf.us/

here you forgot this

May 11, 2017, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Maybe if you understood affect vs effect your boss wouldn't ]

You should quit and sit at home and watch cable TV with

May 11, 2017, 12:26 PM

Francis Marion®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: In a tough spot

May 11, 2017, 12:30 PM

Do Not let this affect your home life. I can remember hating a job so much that I didn't want to go to bed at night cause it made the morning come faster. I've also had jobs I really loved. Start looking for another job and know for sure that money doesn't make you happy. You can get along on less and enjoy it more.

Talk to your boss and tell

May 11, 2017, 12:49 PM

Her she is mean and you don't like it. Tell her what you need out of her to make your job more fun!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2017, 12:51 PM

I was in the exact same spot as you. The last 3 years I really started to hate my job and saw the effects of it on my own health and home life. I felt trapped as I knew if I went most anywhere else, I'd take a pretty significant pay cut and probably start back near the bottom rungs of the ladder. It was largely based on my value to the specific company and the social equity I built up that just wouldn't easily translate to other places.

So for the past 3 years I suffered, and I hate myself for that.

Fortunately, I was able to find almost the exact equivalent in my inner network and shed most of the problems. I still deal with some of the health aspects and am slowly starting to enjoy things again.

First, don't let it continue to grow. If you're miserable and you can't really affect change, then you should leave. Money doesn't buy happiness (but as Tosh says, it does buy a jet-ski, and you never see anyone all angry on one of those).

If you have skills and the network that you can start your own business, explore that.

If you can work from home do that. You still have to deal with bosses, but you don't have to see them at least.

See what's out there. You might be surprised. It doesn't really cost you anything to look around.

Make time for yourself and your family. No job is worth first or second place in your life. Time is short. You have to find a way to block the work crap out or it eats you to the core. Find what works for you, and do it often.

You can try going the Office Space route. I'd love to do that one day. ??

And finally, pray.

I feel for you, because it's not an easy place to be.

May 11, 2017, 2:46 PM

Fist of all, when you let yourself have those types of feeling, just remember that in 2017, there are millions of people that are much worse off than you. Every homeless person didn't choose to be, but still they wake in the mornings still in the streets without a mailing address!!! When you believe it can't get any worse than it is, ask yourself if any of those folks in those war torn countries would trade spots with you while knowing how you feel about you job and life!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2017, 1:00 PM

FWIW, my wife was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and cut her pay in half for less stress. I think she wishes she would have stayed, but you never know unless you try it. Mo money mo problems but the grass ain't always greener either. Im with the poster above-be patient. It's a long road.

Are you Bobby Bentley?

May 11, 2017, 1:06 PM

You sound like what I imagine Bobby Bentley would sound like.

May 11, 2017, 1:13 PM

I'm in the same boat, though most people would probably kill for my job. I work from home, but dealing with the negativity from colleagues and bosses doesn't make it any easier.

Here's my advice:

-Focus on what your job does give you, if you make a lot of money I'm sure there are some wonderful things you get to enjoy because of that (vacations, financial freedom, the relief of not worrying about money)

-Ask yourself what you'd really love to do for work. Once you know what line of work would make you happy, then go for it, you cannot take money with you when you go, and I'm sure if you could look back you'd rather look and see all the awesome experiences you had and how you enjoyed your life rather than slaved for money every day that you couldn't enjoy

-Take your time finding a new job. Start saving a little more right now than you normally would and only spend money on needs, not wants. If you do this for 6 months to a year, you will be prepared for a potential pay cut at a job that may be more mentally rewarding for you.

Being that we're paddling the same boat, I'll be thinking of you, just keep your chin up and look at all the wonderful things you do have right now, rather than what you don't have.

May 11, 2017, 1:15 PM

My work was a real joy until micromanagement became an issue. I have prayed and am in a down time awaiting the start of semi-retirement. How close are you to retirement? Take time to spend in reflection about what you desire out of life, as well as what skills you have toward another opportunity. Perhaps as previously mentioned you could start your own business. Just take matters slowly with care and considerable thought.

Above all be in prayer. Ask the Lord for daily strength and wisdom. Know you will be heard and in his time you will be answered. Patience is critical for a reason.

Good searching and keep the faith.

So you have money but you're not happy?

May 11, 2017, 1:17 PM

Quit.
On a side, I make good money but have to live in California foothills to do it. The difference is I like my job, I just would prefer to be back in SC. I've decided to stay for 4 yrs until my daughter graduatea from high school, then decide what to do from there. Its a balance for sure.
My salary drops 2/3 with a move back to SC right now. Bummer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Wait! Wait! ... I just had training on this ...

May 11, 2017, 1:22 PM

You're supposed to:

Step 1 ... Talk to your boss about how you're feeling.

Step 2 ... After your boss is done laughing, storm to the HR office and tell them how you're feeling

Step 3 ... After the HR lady says "you should hear something in a month or so", visit a local watering hole

Step 4 ... A month later, email your HR lady and ask her why she hasn't responded.

Step 5 ... 2 months later, your HR lady will schedule a "meeting" between you and your boss.

Step 6 ... repeat steps 1-5.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make sure it's your boss and not the work you dislike...**

May 11, 2017, 1:22 PM

nm

May 11, 2017, 1:44 PM

Will be praying for you, your family and your future decisions. Following doors opened by God are IMO are the only doors worth going through. I say this based on past decisions and mistakes I have made because those decisions were made by me alone because of my hardheaded controlling nature, I thought I knew best for my life.

But every time I have listened to Jesus Christ and followed His path for my life I have been much happier. And things have worked out much better in my life for me and my family.

I pray things work out well for you and your family.

May 11, 2017, 1:53 PM

Leave. Start your own business doing same thing. Take all your old clients away from current employers. Thumb nose

May 11, 2017, 2:09 PM

https://careers.snf.us/

May 11, 2017, 2:31 PM

Get another fracking job. No amount of money is worth making the place where you hang your pants at night uncomfortable!!!

Start your own business.***

May 11, 2017, 2:54 PM

Had a buddy in the same boat. He changed jobs and

May 11, 2017, 2:58 PM

two weeks later his old boss was canned at the old company and hired by his new company. You guesssed it, had turned in his notice immediately. Talk about bad luck.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 11, 2017, 3:05 PM

Man I really hope your boss doesn't read your posts on here. Good luck

Life's too short.

May 11, 2017, 3:12 PM

If you dread going to work, it's time to find another job. But do it discretely. And never quit until you have another job. Just knowing that there's an end to the nightmare will get you through it.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

If you are secure that you are doing a good job, you could

May 11, 2017, 3:15 PM

do what I did on a couple of occasions. (In private one on one meeting, of course!) Tell the boss he is an arsewhole, but have detailed reasons why you believe that is true, and be willing to spell it out. On each occasion that I did this, relationship with the boss (two different ones) was light years better after that. But, you could also get fired.... the second time I did it, I was so fed up I didn't think I cared if that happened, but was glad it didn't.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic