Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
To Pit Bull or not to Pit Bull ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

To Pit Bull or not to Pit Bull ?

May 22, 2017, 11:04 AM

Looking at taking a rescued pit bull pup from someone . Dog is a male blue nose , about 10 weeks old . I have a 3 year old male boxer/whatzit mix already .
Anyone have any advice for me . Fiancee would love this surprise ...I am the one questioning the move .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: To Pit Bull or not to Pit Bull ?

May 22, 2017, 11:08 AM

Do you have a secure yard and time? It's going to need lots of attention, exercise, and interaction, otherwise it's going to destroy your shoes and anything else it can get ahold of.

It's sounds like if you already have the boxer, you're pretty set up, especially if you raised it from a pup.

The boxer is neutered, right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2017, 11:21 AM

Boxer mix is neutered and he is incredibly sweet , with socialization skills .
I am only home 10-12 days a month , but my fiancee is home everyday and this puppy would be another companion dog for her and our boxer mix.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I'm going to need a list of all of the

May 22, 2017, 2:43 PM

days you'll be gone over the next couple months along with pics of your fiancee. TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I'm going to need a list of all of the

May 22, 2017, 5:23 PM

gWP , you cad !

DB23

Do you fly back up, or drive?***

May 23, 2017, 1:06 AM

Re: Do you fly back up, or drive?***

May 23, 2017, 5:13 AM

Depends . Sometimes I drive up and just get a hotel in Va , splitting it into two 6 hour legs .
Mostly fly though , convenience and all .

DB23

Digs are like kids.. parents make good ones or bad ones

May 22, 2017, 11:09 AM

My sister has a pitbull and it is the most affectionatel dog you'll ever see. They are strong as hell. Hers is about the same size as her black lab but much stronger. When she wants to lick your face, shell lick your face. you don't have a say in the matter unless some 1 comes to help pull her off.

Your insurance will go up.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

don't do it".....

May 22, 2017, 12:08 PM

My son has one who is quite gentle but none of his friends with children will come around because of the breeds reputation. Not worth the risk.

Bonus***

May 22, 2017, 12:31 PM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'm sure your neighbors would love this....

May 22, 2017, 11:20 AM

Too many stories where..."she/he was just a nice puppy...we didn't know they could dismember a neighbors' beagle (or toddler) like this"...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm sure your neighbors would love this....

May 22, 2017, 11:23 AM

One neighbor has three dogs ( 1 pit bull named Lazarus ) and the other two have no dogs .
I'm guessing there wouldn't be too much if any opposition there .

DB23

May 22, 2017, 11:25 AM [ in reply to I'm sure your neighbors would love this.... ]

His neighbors shouldn't even be a factor in this... If he wants a pit what does the neighbors have to do with anything?

(see 'insurance comment' above...)

May 22, 2017, 11:48 AM

hth?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 22, 2017, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sure your neighbors would love this.... ]

I can think of several million rea$ons!

May 22, 2017, 11:25 AM

Depends on how much you like your boxer, just sayin'

May 22, 2017, 11:27 AM

He is special to our hearts . Thinking him being 3 and cuddling up to the pit puppy would put him on the " no-kill " list once the pit got all rigged out .

DB23

Fwiw, and not breed related,

May 22, 2017, 11:26 AM

but we adopted a second dog to have woth our 3 yr old mutt.. she did not like having the 2nd dog there all the time, and honestly, we didn't really either. We rehomed that hound to a better home amd all worked out, but make sure your committed to everything that comes with 2 dogs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Fwiw, and not breed related,

May 22, 2017, 11:29 AM

Certainly . Considerations have been and will continue to be made if I get home next week and the pup is still available .
Right now I am just kicking around the thought of it .

DB23

May 22, 2017, 11:29 AM

Get the pit bull. I'm tired of the bad rep they get... Take care of em, love em, appreciate em and everything will be alright. Dogs are one of a kind

May 22, 2017, 11:30 AM

Thanks , yeah ...I am a dog lover and have never owned one so I knew a few on here would give good advice .

DB23

May 22, 2017, 11:45 AM

They are great dogs... it's not a breed problem it's an owner problem. My bully is the sweetest and most cuddling of all 3 of my pups.

May 22, 2017, 11:43 AM

This is my rescue pibble havoc. He gets along great with his belgian malinois brother and german shep sister. They are high energy but you should be used to that with a boxer...haha... good luck

LOL

May 22, 2017, 12:08 PM

I see that beseeching expression about every thirty seconds when there's people food to be had.

Very few dogs can beg as effectively as a pit.

Re: LOL

May 22, 2017, 11:37 PM

Havoc has the begging face perfected...lol

May 22, 2017, 11:45 AM

I ended up with a pit. Didn't mean to. We were doing the whole "foster a puppy" thing, get the ones with kennel cough out and let 'em stay until they're well, by which point, of course, we had bonded.

We also didn't know it was a pit bull. It was a girl, for one, and the pound - as it does, thanks to the breed's reputation - called it a "shepard retreiver mix", which didn't look quite right to us; I just figured it was a mutt and went with it. As it got older I got a certain suspicion in my head...and then googled "pit bull", and lo and behold the first picture to pop up was a dead ringer for my dog. (Posted it below, not mine but it'd be durn hard to tell them apart.) Until that point I didn't even realize I owned one.

My dog's super sweet, is maybe sixty pounds, and thinks she's a pug. Likes to fight, of course, but all pit bulls will 'rassle all day long if you're up for it. She can be a LITTLE stranger-shy so I keep her away from people she doesn't know but that's kinda my own fault for not socializing her enough. Like others said, pits are high-energy, need a lot of attention and exercise, and do not do well left on their own for extended periods. They're very social dogs and if you can't pay them enough attention they can get contrary and highly destructive...what they can do to shoes has to be seen to be disbelieved, takes 'em about three seconds to shred a pair of your most expensive dress shoes...and trust me, they will find them.

They do not like disapproval. You even whisper the words "bad dog" and mine will hide her head in shame for hours. They're incredibly food-oriented and will do durn near anything for bacon or a morsel of steak which makes them fairly easy to train but they're willful and often do not walk easily.

May 22, 2017, 11:47 AM

I'm a foster failure to a pibble as well. He is such a goober.

I'm not going to go into a long story but...

May 22, 2017, 11:46 AM

I know a family that had a loving sweet PB. It was a happy happy dog and was well trained.

They trained it to be calm around other animals and kids.

But they now have a little girl with a terrible scar along her hairline.

Get another animal and plant a time-bomb with a randomized timer inside it's stomach. It'd be about as safe.

Go to an animal shelter and see what percent are Pits. Guarantee it is 80%+. You won't find Collies and Pugs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I'm not going to go into a long story but...

May 22, 2017, 11:54 AM

That's a very skewed way of looking at facts. The reason they are mostly pits has nothing to do with them being bad dogs. It has to do with poor backyard breeding, resulting in more strays that continue the cycle. Sadly people aren't as worried about taking care of dogs they get for cheap or free. Pugs and collies on the other hand cost a lot up front, hence less likely to end up stray or in a shelter.
I do feel sorry for the little girl but do you know the whole story? I'm an animal behaviorist of sorts and no dog just attacks without reason.

I'm just saying don't bash a breed until you know the facts. I have three of the alleged most dangerous breeds there is, yet they have never hurt a fly.

OK. But other mutt dogs have bad backyard breeding.

May 22, 2017, 12:12 PM

And they are not in abundance at the shelters.

As for the girl, I don't know the entire story because I haven't really talked to them about it(my best friend's brother who I met only a few times), but the way it is told is that the girl walked into his kennel and he just snapped on her and grabbed her by the top of the head.

My neighbor across the street also had her dog killed by a PB while the two dogs were out being walked at the same time.

When was the last story you read where a dog killed a family member and it wasn't a Pit Bull? You may be able to google a few, but you'll have to scroll past the litany of PB stories.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

Re: OK. But other mutt dogs have bad backyard breeding.

May 22, 2017, 6:31 PM

> but the way it is told is that the girl walked into
> his kennel and he just snapped on her and grabbed her
> by the top of the head.
>
>

That's your problem right there. Its "kennel"?

Meaning its cage? Like some kind of zoo exhibit?

Dogs aren't for that. They're domesticated. Give them a domestic life, or don't have one.

If your dog isn't one of the family, you definitely shouldn't have one.

They have never hurt a fly! Well that doesn't account for

May 22, 2017, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not going to go into a long story but... ]

the children and adults that have been mauled and many killed and then the owner makes the same statement. They have a history which the majority of other breeds don't have for a reason.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not going to go into a long story but...

May 22, 2017, 1:41 PM [ in reply to I'm not going to go into a long story but... ]

The second puppy we got after getting married turned out to be a chow mix. Like the guy above, if you google chow/border collie mix the pictures look just like her.

She was always aggressive around strange dogs-unlike the two labs we had-all came from the humane society. Also, The chow mix has always growled at elderly people- have no idea why....maybe they smell funny?

When our kids were toddlers I would let them climb on the lab, but wouldn't let them "wrestle" with her. I think there were a couple of times when she growled at them. Now that the kids are in elementary school and the dog is 17, I feel comfortable with them being around her.

I never saw the labs we had snap/growl at any other dogs or people. In my opinion, certain breeds have a predisposition for violence.

Meet Kitt, The Wonder Dog

May 22, 2017, 12:07 PM
IMG_0360.JPG(131.1 K)

(Shown celebrating right after our National Championship Victory! ;)

As you already have the boxer, perhaps the Pit is going to be okay, but just as my mini-dachsund has NEVER been a varmint hunter, or formally trained or coached, she still constantly digs and burrows for mice, moles, etc., when we're out in the yard, on walks in the woods, etc. So to say "... a Pit Bull only attacks because of bad owners..." is possibly incorrect. Animals act from instinct and heredity - Dachsunds were rodent hunters, and always will be. I tend to believe the same for Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and the like.

Just my $.02

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 22, 2017, 12:18 PM

We have had a rescue Pit/Lab/Dalmation mix for three years.

They can jump really high.

Had to extend parts of my fence so she would not leap over and get out.

Very excitable, but start petting and she calms down immediately.

From dogbites.org

May 22, 2017, 12:43 PM

"In the 12-year period of 2005 through 2016, canines killed 392 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 65% (254) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths."

That site also has some condemning stat links on injury as well.

I just want people to be aware of the risks associated with pit bulls.

https://graphiq-stories.graphiq.com/stories/4046/dog-breeds-attack#35-pit-bull

Re: From dogbites.org

May 23, 2017, 7:53 AM

Nah man pits just have the worst luck with bad owners....

Sweetest dogs in the world.

They'll only maul your two year old if there's a good reason.

We have a rescue Pit. She is a very sweet and calm dog.

May 22, 2017, 12:49 PM

Loves everybody.
We've had her 4 years and she is the most docile dog I have ever been around. She should/could be a PTSD service dog. We also have a boxer and they get along great.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Didn't know you had a Pit. I have two...here's a pig of one

May 22, 2017, 1:17 PM

of my Pits

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

What the heck is that smell?!?!?

May 22, 2017, 2:16 PM

Smells like a dirty sock.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Ha ha . Bob wears wifebeater t shirts .***

May 22, 2017, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Didn't know you had a Pit. I have two...here's a pig of one ]

Re: Didn't know you had a Pit. I have two...here's a pig of one

May 22, 2017, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Didn't know you had a Pit. I have two...here's a pig of one ]

Might need to trim your pits...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: We have a rescue Pit. She is a very sweet and calm dog.

May 22, 2017, 8:44 PM [ in reply to We have a rescue Pit. She is a very sweet and calm dog. ]

This is what I was looking for !

+1

DB23

May 22, 2017, 1:20 PM

As you probably already know, dogs turn out the way you raise them. Some of the meanest, fiercest dogs I've every seen were freaking Chihuahuas.

I say that to say this. I had a Doberman named Sarah. She was hands down the sweetest and most social dog I have ever known. Every one loved her and she loved everyone.

However, I would walk her down the beach and the people parted like the red sea. All they saw was "Doberman"...and were scared.

Pits are the same. I've never met a truly mean one...but people are afraid of them because they're "Pits".

Taking all of that into consideration, I'd surprise your Fiancee with one of the best breeds out there.

May 22, 2017, 1:43 PM

Have a good friend with a (mostly pit) Pit Bull mix. Sweet dog to me. High-energy dog -- she's knocked me off my feet more than once, and I am steady on my feet (and often work on ladders for large portions of the workday).
She loves sofas and has eaten 2, at $400 per sofa. (Shoes, of all types, are not a challenge, but must be tasty.)
I'm not scared of this dog.
But, I wouldn't trust her with a 2-8 year old child (that might be scared of her, and give-off the scent of that fear, often sensed as offensive by dogs). That could be disastrous! Any dog will turn defensive if it feels threatened. Some dogs are more aggressive than others -- pit bulls fit into the most-aggressive category. Having any pit bull is taking a chance...
I have been bitten by strange dogs twice, and chased into my house once by a roaming mastiff (in a city with a leash law). I own a collie and like dogs, but I try to be very wary.
Owning a pit bull is taking a chance...

May 22, 2017, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: To Pit Bull or not to Pit Bull ? ]

I like that , thanks .

DB23

May 22, 2017, 1:41 PM

May 22, 2017, 1:55 PM

I had a pink nose pit with some wicked looking blue eyes about 10 years ago. The single sweetest and nicest dog you could ever be around. It was scared of its own shadow. But that's the only pit I've ever owned and by far the mildest and easiest going dog I've ever had. The only mean ones I've ever been around are the ones left on leashes and tied up in the backyard. But that's any dog you keep tied up in the yard.

May 22, 2017, 1:59 PM

Pardon the double post.

I'm wasn't quite in the same situation as you, but my wife and I adopted a "mutt" from our local animal shelter. Sally, as the pup came to be known, was supposed to be a retriever-terrier mix, but we eventually surmised that she was a lab-pitbull mix, and she's really changed my preconceptions on the breed.

We got her when she was 10-weeks-old and she's now a little over six months.

As other's have said, the owner seems to determine the behavior of the dog based off of how they treat and interact with the dog. I've had purebred labs and cocker spaniels in the past that didn't do very well listening and essentially lived a life of independence, sans the food.

This dog is the most well-behaved dog I've ever had. She loves people and other dogs, and is fond of any kind of exercise. As long as she doesn't stay cooped up all day, she's great. She hasn't destroyed any shoes yet, but she gnawed through the drywall in the laundry room when she was about three months old. She's figured out the house training thing, can sit, stay, lay down, and let go all on command.

We don't have any other dogs, but we'll have her boarded every now and then, and she interacts with other dogs pretty well in those situations. She's friendly with strangers as well.

Good luck with your pup!

May 22, 2017, 8:51 PM

That is funny , my lab mix chewed the drywall out of our laundry room at about 6 months .
Great share on your dog , thanks .

DB23

May 22, 2017, 8:55 PM

*Boxer Mix

DB23

Got It!

May 22, 2017, 3:00 PM

:)

Not a Pit owner but a dog owner

May 22, 2017, 3:00 PM

My wife is a vet tech and she swears up and down that pits are the nicest most friendliest dogs that they have come in the clinic and that they love kids and other dogs. She is more afraid to hold a chihuahua getting a nail trim than hold the muzzle of a pit while its getting a shot or treated. She says that German Sheppard's are generally the meanest dogs they have come in. She goes on once every couple of months that we need to get a pit. We have 2 dogs, a vizsla and a beagle,a cat, plus a toddler so like you I am very skeptical about another dog especially a pit. Honestly its because of their reputation not that I have seen or experienced anything bad about them. My thought is always it could be the best dog we have ever had or it could be something you see on the news and I personally haven't been able to take that risk.

This probably doesn't help at all but I wanted to weigh in from someone who is around someone that deals with animals everyday. As many above have stated and its been my experience as well, that with any breed of dog that it's temperament is a reflection of its owners and the way it is raised and not the breed. The best dog I have ever had was a German Sheppard that I rescued from the humane society as a pup and had him all his life until he passed of old age. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

May 22, 2017, 5:23 PM

Thanks to all who've replied to my query , and either given advice or shared pics and experiences with Pit Bulls .
Much appreciated!

DB23

We have placed two pit bulls with children as their medical

May 23, 2017, 12:20 AM

Service animal that performed one or more tasks for the child. Both were in elementary school with disabilities.
Both dogs have their tag and license as a service dog and both have won awards for their service. One has been on local television with its person/child.

The dangerous pits are the ones that have been trained to fight or the ones that have issues with fear because of trauma in its youth. Any breed of dog that has fear from a bad experience is going to be unstable and a fear bitter around a person who shows fear around them because the bite before they get bit. Fear scent let off by a human causes them to be scared and attack as if being cornered. Pits that haven't been in these situations won't bite but ones that have will bite and the lock their jaw and don't let go for fear of being attacked.

This fear can be trained out by associating good with fear for the dog. A good trainer should be able to see if your dog is a fear bitter. For the great majority of pit dogs you will never have an issue if the dog is not trained to attack or bite.

We have to make sure the service animals we place will never bite but will protect the child and both of the ones we placed have been great.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let’s Go Tigers!

Yes to Pit Bull

May 22, 2017, 6:38 PM

Yes to the pup.

Yes to the world entertainer.
https://youtu.be/zKKF_vFshMM
Also, I went on a Norwegian Cruise this past July and heard this so many times that it is now an earworm I still cant get rid of even though its closing in on a year. Now I give this to infect you all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes to Pit Bull

May 22, 2017, 10:56 PM

At least it's not Rick Astley

May 22, 2017, 8:06 PM

I commend you for seeking input from knowledgeable sources. Not being a knowledgeable source, I thought I'd chime in anyway. Earlier in my life I was faced with a similar decision but for a rottie, not pit. I had young children who desperately wanted a rottie pup but after performing an informal benefit/risk analysis, I broke their hearts. My reasoning was that for large, powerful and inherently aggressive breeds like pits, rotties and dobermans good training and socialization can drive the probability of a bite or attack very low but it will never be zero. Unfortunately, when incidents occur, the consequence can be very severe. At that time, I couldn't accept the potential consequence no matter how low the probability might be. Soon after I broke their hearts, I mended them when I surprised them with a yellow lab pup. Everyone's situation is different and I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

You are spot on. People who say it's not the

May 23, 2017, 8:45 AM

breed, but the training a dog receives have NO CLUE what breeding entails. A dog breed is developed for the very purpose of producing offspring with the same characteristics as the parents. You can't TRAIN a dog to not possess the very characteristics it was BRED to have.

My daughter found that out. She has two very young children. She also was a believer that pits have an undeserved reputation. Got a blue pup which she had for about three months. This pup was an inside dog and was loved and welcomed as part of the family.

After several scary incidents, she made the decision the dog couldn't be trusted with the kids. Before owning one you couldn't convince her that pits were inherently aggressive.

Ask her about that now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

PROUD PIT OWNER

May 22, 2017, 8:48 PM

I am a proud owner of a blue pit and have been raised around them my entire life. In fact, my grandfather first started having them as his dogs back in the 1950's and we have had them every since. We have owned over 30 pits since then and have never had an issue. This is not because we are these major dog training people as we're certainly not; it is because we have just been careful and used common sense.

There is a risk with getting any dogs. My sister had a very bad bite on her cheek by a cocker spaniel all because the lady who was supposed to be watching her, wasn't. Risks are a part of dog ownership. If you get this pit you will have a loyal and loving dog that will seek to please. It will be important to socialize this dog. Give this dog plenty of attention, love and socialization. Walk the dog at least 5 days a week as they do better with exercise. Socialize them by getting them use to being around different people from different backgrounds, young, old and of different racial makeups. I took my dog to the park a lot when she was a puppy and got her use to being around kids with all of the noise and running around that they do. My pit is good around all dogs and all people.

Feed the dog a lot of salmon and /or white fish products as this is very healthy for them and their coats. Stay away from chicken products as pits often do not do as well with chicken as it makes them scratch more, which tends to irritated skin problems. Put them on a good flea preventative as well.

In the end, you have to decide. Any dog can bite or be mean; pits can do more damage when they do. But, if you know your dog and place him/her in the position to be successful, they will be a great dog and you won't have issues. Nothing is for certain with any dog, but if you love, take care, socialize and be with them around kids and others, you will be fine. There is no better dog!

Re: PROUD PIT OWNER

May 22, 2017, 8:59 PM

+1

This may have just sold me on the Blue Nose ??

DB23

Better consider this! Most insurance companies will cancel

May 22, 2017, 10:32 PM

your homeowner's policy, if you have a pit bull, or one of several others on their banned list.

Years ago, my wife took in a stray pit bull female. She seemed gentle enough, and was just a yard dog. After a while, she started putting the pit in the pen with her female bassett hound. They seemed to get along ok, but one day we were gone for several hours, returned home and the pit had attacked and killed the bassett.

I would never trust one.

Insurance is a statistics based business. Risk is about

May 22, 2017, 11:08 PM

levels of probability and the risk is too high for most insurance companies(vs the offset expense most homeowners would not be willing to pay).

All these ancedotal posts about how sweet this Pit is or that Pit.. all basically saying that the bomb hasn't gone off or didn't. That doesn't really make a compelling arguement as to why you should get the most dangerous and lethal breed. Insurance companies realize the risk. Animal shelters bear out the risk. Medical reports clearly show the risk.

With all the wonderful breed choices, why would anybody who has kids or neighbors or other pets take such a risk?

Exactly, I certainly don't blame the dog... but they are

May 22, 2017, 11:58 PM

statistically more likely to kill another dog or a child than any other dog by a longshot.

People who breed pits are right, most of the time Pits are sweet dogs. But that doesn't cancel out the fact that a higher percentage of pits are killers than any other breed, by a wide margin.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2017, 11:45 PM

Pits are great family dogs. I would go for it, they get a bad rap because of bad owners. You and your wife will love this dog, get it and enjoy one of the best dogs ever.

Let’s Go Tigers!

May 22, 2017, 11:54 PM
IMG_3538.JPG(111.9 K)

This Pit has been my sons best friend from the day we brought him home from the hospital.

Love him with all my heart

Many home owners insurance companies will not

May 23, 2017, 6:49 AM

offer coverage if you own a pit bull. May not be applicable in your situation, but it does speak to the liability risk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

As a dog lover....

May 23, 2017, 6:58 AM

It sounds to me like you are prepared to bring this Pit up in a loving family. Be prepared for some to be scared or intimidated by the Pit.

If you rent....or plan in renting in the future.....don't get a Pit. Most apartments I tried to rent before I bought a house had something in the lease about not having aggressive dog breeds.

May 23, 2017, 6:59 AM
IMG_0121.JPG(101.2 K)

I have a pit and she is the best dog! It's all in how you raise them. She is so affectionate and loving..especially with my kids. I will never have another breed after owning a pit

May 23, 2017, 7:30 AM

Timber is a catchy tune.

Contact your insurance agent.

May 23, 2017, 7:57 AM

Certain breeds aren't covered under some liability policies.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 23, 2017, 8:16 AM

Every time you read of a pit bull attacking someone the same statement emerges....

"It was the sweetest dog. We never saw this coming. It just snapped."

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-upper-macungie-dog-attack-20170427-story.html

May 23, 2017, 9:17 AM

Definitely yes. Will be the best dog you have ever owned

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic