Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How will our qb situation play out?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,205

How will our qb situation play out?

Jun 16, 2016, 9:41 PM

Ok, so everyone knows we are loaded at qb for the foreseeable future, probably with more elite talent rolling in in 2018. But how in the world will this work?

So zerrick cooper comes on campus this summer. He will most likely redshirt, I would think. Assuming Dw4 goes pro after this year, that leaves us set up in 2017 with Tucker isreal, Kelly Bryant, zerrick cooper, chase Brice and hunter Johnson. All potential starters for almost any power 5 football team.

Now Kelly Bryant and Tucker Isreal will be juniors. That leaves zerrick cooper as a redshirt freshman and Johnson and Brice as true freshman. Most people assume that either cooper, Brice or Johnson are the future, would I be correct? That leaves a log jam at qb with 3 elite qb's. Johnson and Brice could redshirt, leaving a year gap between them and cooper. I assume cooper will take over for dw4, because I think he's that good.

So the question is, if the situation plays out how I've layed it out, would Brice or Johnson wait around until their senior year to have one year of being a starter if Cooper takes over after Dw4? How could you keep such highly rated qb's on the bench basically their whole career? How could a situation like that work?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's how it works in sports and a good

Jun 16, 2016, 9:48 PM

Problem to have as opposed to the alternative as in 2014 for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely a good problem to have. And I have faith...

Jun 16, 2016, 10:03 PM

...in our coaching staff to not allow an A&M type transfer meltdown. They know how to evaluate and maximize the talent they bring in. I will place my trust in Dabo and his staff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Absolutely a good problem to have. And I have faith...

Jun 16, 2016, 10:15 PM

I definitely thinks it's a good problem to have and wasn't questioning the coaching staff. It was really just a discuss and debate type post. I have full confidence in this staff.

No no, I understand. Your questions are valid.

Jun 16, 2016, 10:23 PM

Didn't think you were questioning the staff. No problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Absolutely a good problem to have. And I have faith...

Jun 16, 2016, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Absolutely a good problem to have. And I have faith... ]

It's a good problem to have but it still kinda sucks...lets be honest here...there will be transfers and that's something we need to prepare ourselves for. Not a problem if we are able to successfully reload at QB. Bryant needs to consider a position change and Cooper should absolutely not redshirt. I think we once we get
Hunter on then we redshirt him depending on how Cooper pans out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Bryant could be the one Redshirting

Jun 16, 2016, 9:48 PM

The plan was to Redshirt him last year before Tucker got hurt.Streeter already loves him some Zerrick and he will probably come more ready than Tucker or Bryant, Just an opinion not based on facts or inside knowledge.

I'm pretty sure he isn't allowed to redshirt anymore.

Jun 17, 2016, 5:32 AM

Since he has already played. I think he can only redshirt for injury or mental/physical health reasons. Not positive but pretty sure.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: I'm pretty sure he isn't allowed to redshirt anymore.

Jun 17, 2016, 6:46 AM

If he has a redshirt year available, he can use it whether he had played or not.

They can redshirt any of his 4 years they want.

Jun 17, 2016, 8:06 AM [ in reply to I'm pretty sure he isn't allowed to redshirt anymore. ]

Where the Medical RS comes is if they played any THAT year.

Re: How will our qb situation play out?

Jun 16, 2016, 9:49 PM

A lot of the hype is just that. Some pan out, others not so much. Time will tell. All seem great now, but so did almost every one of the players we sign. Only a few really rise to the elite of the college level, and only the very best on each team get a sniff at anything beyond. This will be fun to watch, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beats me & another great 5* one was at camp today

Jun 16, 2016, 9:50 PM

Who probably should chose TN rather than us & Ga since both are too top heavy at QB..imho.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your guess is as good as anyone else's, at this point!

Jun 16, 2016, 10:20 PM

Out of the five you are talking about, at least one will transfer, and one or two others will fall short, so we are left with two battling it out to start. Then, there is also was the risk of injury.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Extremely well for us.***

Jun 16, 2016, 11:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: How will our qb situation play out?

Jun 16, 2016, 11:40 PM

I know one thing... Practices are going to be ridiculously competitive from now through infinite with the stable we've put together.

Conventional thinking says we start swag kelly and let the rest transfer to scJR

Jun 17, 2016, 1:09 AM

To compete for 2nd to last place in the sec east (with Vandy, Kentucky and Mizzou).

Just kidding.

Great players want to play with other great players. That's why Swag Kelly is so thankful for the time he was able to learn from Dabo and DW. Best man wins. Kelly could've came in the GT game when Watson went down last year, and been a star. Could've pushed Cole Stoudt out of his starting role to #3, and DW and Chad beat UGA/FSU/GT and win the Natty.

Never know with quitters, though. Such a shame.

Braxton/Barrett/C.Jones won a Natty. Either of the 3 could've won the Heisman. All will be in the NFL, with 0 scJR QBs to accompany them :(

NDs 3 all world QBs seem happy.

FSU has been an elite backup QB away from a couple Natties throughout the years.

Best to learn from the mistakes of others, no?

Cooper, Kelly, Brice and Johnson battle it out. Best man wins. Yet, I can assure you that each will play a MAJOR ROLE in Clemson's next National Chamionship.

Lawrence knows the best players play for Clemson. So that's simply a matter of whether or not he thinks he's good enough to come in and win the best QB job in the country. He won't see any less competition for a spot in the NFL, so he might as well get comfortable with the pressure of performing asap, given, of course, he has any aspirations of becoming a legendary NFL QB.

Call me crazy, but i dont think Zerrick redshirts.***

Jun 17, 2016, 8:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Call me crazy, but i dont think Zerrick redshirts.***

Jun 17, 2016, 8:56 AM

^^^^I'm hoping you're right about Cooper, and he is the #2 QB this year. I'm going to remain nervous about KB at #2 until he shows me something more than we've seen to date. But that's JMO.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,205
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic