Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 227
| visibility 101

TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall

Jun 12, 2020, 10:11 AM

BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall

Breaking: CLEMSON – The Clemson University Board of Trustees voted Friday morning to remove John C. Calhoun’s name from the Honors College. The new name is the Clemson Un Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If nothing else, at least it is a swift decision either way

Jun 12, 2020, 10:13 AM

instead of waffling and drawing it out

Re: If nothing else, at least it is a swift decision either way

Jun 12, 2020, 10:16 AM

Exactly. But I’ll tell u guys, we’ve got a lot to drink about!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 1:23 PM

Exactly. But I’ll tell u guys, we’ve got a lot to drink about!!!!

Drink about?...
??????

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 10:16 AM [ in reply to If nothing else, at least it is a swift decision either way ]

And yet the media will probably still say not fast enough. Just like ill informed Skip on Fox going on about a football matters shirt from a few years ago. Their ignorance and agenda is beneath contempt

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 11:11 AM

Exactly, but after everything is said and done, FOOTBALL do matter. HS sports is the beginning of the help for underprivileged kids that would have never been able to go to college if they hadn't been athletic enough to play college sports. And FB is the only college sport that offers a full scholarship to a 4 year university cost free after they leave with a degree or diploma if they graduate. Also a lucky few will get good enough with their sport at the college level, that they will be chosen to play pro sports with contracts worth more money than their parents have ever made in their entire life time. FB does matter, and it does matter mostly for black athletes.

Anybody that believes the FB matters shirt that Dabo wears is a bad thing, those people that are doing the talking are complete Idiots only attempting to bring Dabo down, and that is all about their jealousy they feel bc of what Dabo has done at Clemson with FB.

The sport of FB has improved the lives of Black FB players 10 to 1 over White FB players in HS, college, and professional FB... Black FB players dominate the available positions in FB at all three levels that FB is played, so yes, Football Matters mainly for Black lives!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson graduate Class of 1976

Jun 12, 2020, 12:56 PM [ in reply to If nothing else, at least it is a swift decision either way ]

Two daughters are Clemson graduates and I hope my four grandchildren will also be Clemson graduates. There is a lot to be proud of as a Clemson family, but never have I been more proud than this moment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just here for the angry commentes***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:17 AM

being its not being done with a gun pointed at their heads

Jun 12, 2020, 10:22 AM

i suspect it'd be more palatable. Do it on your own terms, not b/c of some ###### org trying to cause trouble

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: being its not being done with a gun pointed at their heads

Jun 13, 2018, 2:43 PM

or even worse, the audacity to respectfully kneel as a form of protest in a moment before a sporting event begins.

Re: being its not being done with a gun pointed at their heads

Jun 12, 2020, 1:37 PM [ in reply to being its not being done with a gun pointed at their heads ]

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Yes He does . . .

Jun 15, 2020, 8:56 AM

He draws straight with crooked lines. And this this entire movement, and everything in it's wake, is definitely an unrighteous, dishonest, and crooked line.

Re: I'm just here for the angry commentes***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:24 AM [ in reply to I'm just here for the angry commentes*** ]

I just want to hear Nuk proudly proclaim Clemson as his University next time he is introduced.

And by the way... I am pleased with the name changes.

RIGHT...let's just test Nuk and see if he is honest

Jun 12, 2020, 11:49 AM

If he does say Clemson this coming year, at least he, at this moment in time, is honest. But, who will take money that he will change his mind due to external pressure? Next year or the next year...wait and see.

Re: RIGHT...let's just test Nuk and see if he is honest

Jun 12, 2020, 12:00 PM

Just FYI, that’s not the first reason NUK doesn’t say CU in NFL introductions. He hasnt said it in years, it was because he felt all colleges were making $ on from their sport. Needs to stay with his original statement.

You & Nuk can take a hike***

Jun 13, 2020, 1:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm just here for the angry commentes*** ]

Well... I’m offended by Old Main.***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? That's the building's real name.***

It's insensitive to "old" things like Bob.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:25 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It's insensitive to "old" things like Bob.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:25 AM

Sensible comment ^

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

It makes me uncomfortable.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Why? That's the building's real name.*** ]

I never knew it to be called that before.

That's what it was, prior to 1946. I like it, kind of our

Jun 12, 2020, 10:32 AM

version of Ellis Island. If you wanted to "get into" Clemson, you had to go through that building. Orientation was held there when I matriculated in 1972.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It makes me uncomfortable.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:33 AM [ in reply to It makes me uncomfortable. ]

Because you are butthurt.

Are you dismissing my feelings?***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:56 AM

Age discrimination***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Well... I’m offended by Old Main.*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed - stupid name***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Well... I’m offended by Old Main.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall

They had no choice in the end. It will save a lot of headaches.

And it's, well...the right thing to do.***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:35 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: And it's, well...the right thing to do.***

Jun 12, 2020, 11:01 AM

Definitely. That said, even if they really didn't want to do it, they just had to to save years of headaches over a building name. It would be bad press etc. Its a business.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to And it's, well...the right thing to do.*** ]

That is such BS. How can "that" be the right thing to do, but not the right thing to look at all the other slave owners? You are just repeating what you are told - can you think for yourself?

How can Clemson keep its name? TG Clemson was married to Calhoun's daughter for goodness sake.

But, if it turns out this is the beginning of the end of the BS, it will have been the right decision to get it over with quick.

But, you know the reason "we don't negotiate with terrorist" is because once you give in, they know you will give in again.

Again will come.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:12 PM

Jesse Jackson Academic Center For Book Learnin’ coming on up

Jun 12, 2020, 6:04 PM

Obama Institute of Unlearning.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: And it's, well...the right thing to do.*** ]

Sure it will, bullying is the leader for forcing your will, it always has been, and it will always be!!! But it shouldn't have ever come to these circumstances, those names should have been long ago removed bc of what they represent. And those men's hate came bc of losing free labor off the backs of slavery, and slavery is wrong regardless of what it meant for slave owners that bought thousands of acres of land with the intentions to farm it with free labor that help to fill their bank accounts bc of their personal greed for money, and the power that the money gave them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: And it's, well...the right thing to do.*** ]

It’s Definitely not the last thing to change, maybe we could change history books so the names mean nothing at all.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: And it's, well...the right thing to do.*** ]

It’s Definitely not the last thing to change, maybe we could change history books so the names mean nothing at all.

Man, you really went on a tangent there.

Jun 16, 2020, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Re: And it's, well...the right thing to do.*** ]

Do you need to talk to a manager Karen? lol

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

This will never end.***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!?

Jun 12, 2020, 10:25 AM

WHERE DOES IT STOP?!?!?!?!?!?!

THEY'RE GONNA TRY AND RENAME AMERICA NEXT!!!!!

Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!?

Jun 12, 2020, 10:31 AM

The more important question....

WHEN WILL THE RACISM STOP IN AMERICA?

Jun 12, 2020, 10:44 AM

When people judge people on the content of their character. Of course that's problematic because everything is taken out of context these days to meet an agenda. There is no sense of grace, mercy, and love on the internet or the press or politics.

AMEN chasn79***

Jun 12, 2020, 1:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not until all races stop saying "[Their Race] Matters"

Jun 12, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

and start saying "All Lives Matter" (among many other things.)

Re: Not until all races stop saying "[Their Race] Matters"

Jun 12, 2020, 12:36 PM

What's wrong with people saying their race matters?

The context is that people don't think their race matters as much as others, not that all others don't matter.

Idk how much more willfully ignorant you could be about this.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:56 PM

"Idk how much more willfully ignorant you could be about this."

Keep reading the comments. They will almost certainly get more ignorant, and much, much worse.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:06 PM

I finally agree with you on something. Every time you comment I see posts that gets much much more ignorant.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Not until all races stop saying "[Their Race] Matters" ]

Maybe one day you will finally get it Billy but you are a long ways off. I hope you will try to learn though

Re: Not until all races stop saying

Jun 12, 2020, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Not until all races stop saying "[Their Race] Matters" ]

null

Message was edited by: Rally119®

Jun 12, 2020, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Not until all races stop saying "[Their Race] Matters" ]

null

Sorry. It kept telling me the page wasn't working. Not sure what THAT was all about

Jun 12, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

Unfortunately it will never be eradicated until the return of Christ. All this angst is about Man's desire to be or trying be good on his own. Only through Jesus are we not dead men walking. There is evil throughout every culture and all of history but everyone only sees what they want to see and use click words like my culture, lets have dialog, oppression as the words of the day. Well,the good news is that God said come to me all that are weary and heavy burden and I will give you rest which = peace.

NEVER

Jun 12, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

You know why? Because there will ALWAYS BE RACE HUSTLERS FINDING VICTIMS and convincing you and the other pathetic liberals it's all about racism. And you sheep will keep following...

Lol, keeping living in that bubble of yours

Jun 12, 2020, 12:53 PM

genius.

Re: NEVER

Jun 12, 2020, 4:11 PM [ in reply to NEVER ]

NC_Tiger_ said:

You know why? Because there will ALWAYS BE RACE HUSTLERS FINDING VICTIMS and convincing you and the other pathetic liberals it's all about racism. And you sheep will keep following...

You realize of course that the hate you a spewing means you a a sheep as well right? Different Shepard's but sheep all the same. One day hopefully you will see and learn that political Shepards come in all shapes and sizes and the only way to stop being a sheep is to quit following

Jun 12, 2020, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

Including reverse

Jun 12, 2020, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

When every group quits being a hyphenated American and is just an American.

Jun 13, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

Racism isn't an American problem. It's a human condition, all races are racist and it occurs all over the world and much worse in some places. Study history and the world at large.

Racism is a problem FOR EVERY RACE and it will never end.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jun 12, 2020, 10:35 AM [ in reply to WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

Nobody knows where/when it will stop.

This is a good place to begin, though.

That's the plan.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

And has been for a long time.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:43 PM [ in reply to WHAT'S NEXT?!?!?!?!? ]

If a time ever comes that America has to been renamed, it should be named, The stolen lands of North America!!!

Old Main Building is fine with me..

Jun 12, 2020, 10:28 AM [ in reply to This will never end.*** ]

while changing the Calhoun College name on a program is alright too, but not take down the sign in front of his Fort Hill home that describes his elected positions (2-time VP, Senator, Sec of War & Sec of State).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next will be the removal of the "Old Green Tom" it will

Jun 12, 2020, 10:28 AM [ in reply to This will never end.*** ]

never end. This victory only encourages them to go for more.

Who is "them", I think "Them" and US are the same... if you do not you are part of the problem!

I support NUK and DW4 is whatever protest they want to make. I think both have honored Clemson University with their actions on and off the field.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Next will be the removal of the "Old Green Tom" it will ]

Who is that "them" you are speaking of? One day maybe you will read enough and learn. Obviously not yet

P######.***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to This will never end.*** ]

Re: This will never end.***

Jun 12, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to This will never end.*** ]

If you're taking Calhoun's name off of things then you need to change the name of the University. Calhoun's son in law was a secessionist slave owner. If you really want to do the right thing you would move the university off the land.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:04 PM

Calhoun Honors College dates back to 1982, I was four 4 years away from attending Clemson, this is not an erasure it is a restorative action. I oppose removal of statues and memorials. They and ADDITIONS tell the story of change.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: This will never end.*** ]

Calhoun Honors College dates back to 1982, I was four 4 years away from attending Clemson, this is not an erasure it is a restorative action. I oppose removal of statues and memorials. They and ADDITIONS tell the story of change.

Great !!!

Jun 12, 2020, 10:26 AM

Let's get it done and move forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

As a grad it doesn't really bother me in renaming the

Jun 12, 2020, 10:27 AM

buildings. It is clear from Calhoun's and Tillman's writing exactly where they stand on race issues/relations.

Just a word of warning... 20, 40 or 50 years from now, whoever is in "power"at the time, when they decide to rename the buildings this current generation will just have to suck it up and accept it.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Me neither, by then though, our grandkids might all

Jun 12, 2020, 11:06 AM

be attending Amazon A&M or Google U. Can we just go ahead and make it Bezos' Bungalow?

Calhoun was born in 1782

Jun 12, 2020, 10:27 AM

Clearly, he is the main source of America's 2020 problems.

So, problem solved!

Who suggested that?***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:36 AM

Re: Who suggested that?***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:07 PM

It is satire.

Try to keep up. We'll wait for you.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:24 PM

You can't use satire on a board when there are morons that are saying similar things with complete honesty

Jun 12, 2020, 3:27 PM

LOL! Good point.

Right! The wave of calm is already breaking across the

Jun 12, 2020, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Calhoun was born in 1782 ]

country.

Riots are being called off. Blacks embracing whites - whites embracing blacks. Utopia will soon be here!

And to think, all we had to do is change a couple names!

Re: Right! The wave of calm is already breaking across the

Jun 12, 2020, 6:11 PM

And loot and burn a few Targets.
Nothing promotes social change like looting.

Re: Calhoun was born in 1782

Jun 12, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Calhoun was born in 1782 ]

twill said:

Clearly, he is the main source of America's 2020 problems.

So, problem solved!

You're suggesting that Calhoun is an outdated figure and has no relevance today. Cool, than you should have no problem with the removal of his irrelevant name.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:31 PM

I am suggesting it is EASY to scapegoat a long-dead human, and that people who are alive are kidding themselves if they believe doing so will adress THEIR problems.

Check.Mate.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Calhoun was born in 1782 ]

Thank you for pointing out that you dont read or understand and just post hate. Good grief

Jun 12, 2020, 4:33 PM

I read and understand plenty, and have posted nothing remotely "hate"ful.

Good grief.

Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall

Jun 12, 2020, 10:28 AM

So... Now that the politically correct dominoes have begun to fall, the next question is what will the name "Clemson University" be changed to? Where is the end to this? How do we deal with reconciling history with wishful thinking? Particularly when a large and significant number of people are equally offended at the eradication of things they hold dear? I get that some people are offended by history, but it seems to me that "two wrongs do not make a right!"

Jun 12, 2020, 10:37 AM

What are the 2 wrongs?

Jun 12, 2020, 3:50 PM

Uhhh, past slavery and now erasing history maybe??

Jun 12, 2020, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

So... Now that the politically correct dominoes have begun to fall, the next question is what will the name "Clemson University" be changed to? Where is the end to this? How do we deal with reconciling history with wishful thinking? Particularly when a large and significant number of people are equally offended at the eradication of things they hold dear? I get that some people are offended by history, but it seems to me that "two wrongs do not make a right!"

Are you kidding me? Two wrongs dont make a right? I know the first wrong but this isn't the riots in case you haven't paid attention.

Full text of e-mail to employees

Jun 12, 2020, 10:29 AM

Clemson Trustees approve Honors College name change; request authority to restore original name of Tillman Hall

CLEMSON, S.C. — The Clemson University Board of Trustees today approved changing the name of the University’s Honors College to the Clemson University Honors College, effective immediately. The college has been named the Calhoun Honors College since 1982.

The trustees also approved a resolution respectfully requesting authority from the South Carolina General Assembly to restore Tillman Hall to its original name of the Main Building, commonly called “Old Main.”

“Clemson University has a long-celebrated history of tradition and excellence, but we must recognize there are central figures in Clemson’s history whose ideals, beliefs and actions do not represent the university’s core values of respect and diversity,” said Chairman Smyth McKissick. “Today’s action by the Board acknowledges that now is the time to move forward together as a more unified Clemson Family in order to make our university stronger today and into the future.”

In 2018, the Board asked Provost Robert Jones to lead a task force to study and make recommendations on ways to enhance the quality and relevance of the honors college. The Board approved the recommendations from the Provost, endorsed by President Jim Clements, which include setting the goal of becoming a nationally ranked, top-tier honors college; creating a dean position to oversee the college; creating a strategic plan for the college; and renaming the college to Clemson University Honors College.

The Board also adopted a resolution respectfully requesting the South Carolina General Assembly make a one-time exception to the state’s Heritage Act during the 2021 legislative session. This exception would give limited authority to the Board to restore Tillman Hall to its original name of the Main Building. The resolution further affirms that the Board will not be seeking any further exceptions from the Heritage Act beyond this request.

The actions today were consistent with a deliberative process set in motion by the Board in 2015 when it established a history task force to tell the full and complete history of Clemson. During the past few years, the task force has taken several actions including erecting historical markers, documenting Clemson founders’ biographies, and updating historical signage to better reflect the complete history. The Board actions today were in keeping with its values including integrity, respect, diversity, patriotism, excellence, and self-reliance.

“Our Trustees’ leadership today sends a clear message that Clemson University intends to be a place where all our students, employees and guests feel welcome,” said President Clements. “Our work in this area is far from finished, but we are committed to building on the progress we have made in the areas of diversity and inclusivity as we strive to serve our entire state and the nation.”

Issued by University Relations

Clemson

bewm***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well done BOT! Now I hope the legislature moves

Jun 12, 2020, 10:33 AM

quickly to change the name of Tillman Hall.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Well done BOT! Now I hope the legislature moves

Jun 12, 2020, 10:41 AM

That will be a challenge. There’s bound to be resistance in Columbia, especially in an election year.

The election year may help. I seriously doubt the

Jun 12, 2020, 10:45 AM

legislature would vote against the wishes of the BOT to restore a building's name to its original name.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Most of legislature ready to pander also!***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:55 AM

Re: Most of legislature ready to pander also!***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:28 PM

Go get your latest hstr update from whoever's your current hate Sheppard is

Re: The election year may help. I seriously doubt the

Jun 12, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to The election year may help. I seriously doubt the ]

I hope you are right. My state senator will probably be one to throw a wrench into the process though. I hate that guy. I would ask on his social media but he blocked me many years ago.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Well done BOT! Now I hope the legislature moves ]

And the name Clemson - to do the right thing

Jun 12, 2020, 5:52 PM

Change it to Clempson or Clemzen

I've been a person a long time, and one thing I can tell you about people is, no matter what you do to try to make us happy, it'll never be enough. As soon we get what we thought we wanted, we realize we're not satisfied and we start working toward the next thing we think we want. The pursuit of happiness is one of the fundamental rights America was founded on, and unfortunately the word pursuit means we're always chasing happiness but never catch it.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:10 PM

https://youtu.be/GGQmKA15VCk

Nice 2-minute drive to end the game....***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS"

Anything to protect the almighty dollar.

They can change the name on the building but it will always be "Tillman Hall" to most people for many decades...

Since they are selling out to the football money just name it "Nuk Hall" and try not to hide the reason for the name change.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

It's Old Main to me now I think I went in the building once

just to look around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS"

Jun 12, 2020, 10:51 AM [ in reply to I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS" ]

Maybe they just did it because times are changing and it’s the right thing to do. We’ve been resisting for many years which just brought more drama than it’s worth.

I will probably call the building Tillman Hall in the future, but out of habit and not defiance. I had many classes, attended several speeches and even went to a couple concerts there...

Re: will always be Tillman Hall for me also***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:57 AM

Re: I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS"***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:28 PM [ in reply to I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS" ]

Jun 12, 2020, 4:29 PM [ in reply to I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS" ]

Anything to protect the almighty dollar.

They can change the name on the building but it will always be "Tillman Hall" to most people for many decades...

Since they are selling out to the football money just name it "Nuk Hall" and try not to hide the reason for the name change.

Only the people who love their hatred and continue to live in the past.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:40 PM [ in reply to I Guess "FOOTBALL MATTERS" ]

Excellent take someone needs to say the obvious

Well Done, bot!

Jun 12, 2020, 10:37 AM

Positive actions!

NOW BRING BACK THE BALLOONS!!!!!***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:39 AM

Re: NOW BRING BACK THE BALLOONS!!!!!***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:39 PM

There's a change.org petition for that too

https://www.change.org/p/clemson-university-athletics-bring-back-clemson-football-balloons

Well, I was waiting for the BOT do do the right thing for

Clemson...and I think they did. Now, hopefully, we can move on from namegate. They got their inch...let's hope they don't ask for a mile now.

Re: got to remove Old Green Tom, he had slaves***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:59 AM

Of course there will be more

Jun 12, 2020, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Well, I was waiting for the BOT do do the right thing for ]

Frank Howard field needs a rename.

TG Clemson was a slave owner and married Calhoun's daughter. The university should change their name. Of course I don't support this, but if you believe Calhoun and Tillman's names must be struck, then you should have the same opinion for TG Clemson.

Re: Of course there will be more

Jun 12, 2020, 3:13 PM

I am astounded at the lengths people will go in defending the Tillman and Calhoun names. They even say that to be consistent we have to change the name of the university. B.S. Calhoun has no, none, nada connection to Clemson University. He did not give us the land; he did not give us money. He did openly argue that we in the south commit acts of treason. He argue that no republic could succeed without slavery. Had we followed his advice to its natural conclusion, there would not be a United States of America. A question bigger than renaming the honors college is "Why was it ever named for him in the first place?'

Tlllman is a little different. He did play a central role in the founding of the university. Unfortunately though he was a murderous, racist thug. I is simply not possible to continue to honor a man as despicable as Tillman.

Now to compare these two to Thomas Green Clemson is a bad joke. Clemson gave the gift through his will that made this university possible. Without him there would be no Clemson University. He was not a murderous thug and he did not openly argue for treason against our country. He owned slaves at a time when it was legal and generally accepted in the south. We are not going to take Washington's and Jefferson's name off monuments, cities and colleges because they owned slaves. Remember the University Board of Trustees is made up of a majority of lifetime trustees and a minority of appointed trustees. The lifetime trustees choose their successors. If you think they will rename the university you are wrong.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:57 PM

Good post and can also live with these changes, as long as Tillman returns to its original name as they say. I hope your analogy of TG Clemson is correct, but only time will tell.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Of course there will be more ]

Gotta get rid of the house too Why you could put a monument to Clements and tob there for all to kneel at with Nuk and Deshaun's names inscribed.

Re: Well, I was waiting for the BOT do do the right thing for

Jun 12, 2020, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Well, I was waiting for the BOT do do the right thing for ]

This move will undoubtedly produce all of the same positive changes throughout SC communities that were experienced after taking down the flag from the state house . . . oh wait . . . .
Whether its a flag, statue or name, it will not affect my life or yours, it's just another inch towards many that make the mile, slowly fulfilling an agenda!!

Re: Well, I was waiting for the BOT do do the right thing for

Jun 13, 2020, 10:35 AM

Why would it have to solve all the problems in order to be the right move, and who said removing the flag or changing building names would solve every problem with racism?

If I’m your neighbor and don’t cut my grass for an entire year and leave trash in my yard as well, and then finally clean up the trash and cut the grass it won’t solve all of your problems, but it would solve the problem you had with your neighbors yard at least.

The logic of “we shouldn’t change something because that one thing won’t solve 100% of the problems” is some very stupid logic.

Good luck getting $ to name buildings and scholarships funds going forward. 50 years (probably less) from now when they want the names of all the intolerant Christians removed from the building, any legacy you tried to leave behind will be gone. BOT is naive to believe that it will stop here. Thomas G. Clemson owned slaves.

Re: you are unfortunately correct, it's never enough***

Jun 12, 2020, 11:00 AM

Jun 12, 2020, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

Just wait til they are emboldened enough to drag disbelievers out into the street for some public justice. It will be right out of the French revolution playbook. Look it up.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

Just to be safe rename all buildings. Have we closely examined Sirrine or Riggs or Hardin or Harcombe? Shouldn't we do exhaustive research on the man on whom the athletic complex is named? I'm sure Howard said some things that were off color. Should we rename Howard field? What about Death Valley? Aren't we glorifying violence and death?

Jun 12, 2020, 5:46 PM

I agree, I'm sure all those men are racist well they are white and dead right

Jun 12, 2020, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

You are correct. Look for Billy Graham Parkway in Charlotte to be changed in the future. Not soon but it will happen without a change of course.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:45 PM

Oh this I feel certain will get interesting. So what has Billy Graham done to require his name be removed? I personally haven't seen anything. Enlighten. Me

Jun 12, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

And my guess is getting people to fund new buildings and getting their names on it wont hurt a bit. After all these weren't the original names of the buildings in the first place! Or college as the case may be

This is the right thing to do.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:44 AM

It wouldn’t have been worth the repercussions to dig our heels in as a university.

The BOT voted and made the decision. That’s how these decisions should be made.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Has that portrait come down from inside of Cooper Library?

Jun 12, 2020, 10:46 AM

The name on the building can be changed, and it really doesn’t effect me, but I’ll have a hard time saying Old Main as it’s been Tillman Hall to me for 38 years.

Not that Old Main is bad and not that I support Tillman’s racism its just that old habits die hard.

People will still call it Tillman Hall and it will be a dividing line on the true fan, alum, woohoo train.

Re: Has that portrait come down from inside of Cooper Library?

Jun 12, 2020, 4:38 PM

Keep on hating you poor misguided soul. Keep hating. In fact maybe by spewing eventually you get all of your hate out.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:15 PM

You say hate a lot. I like the way they programmed you.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Has that portrait come down from inside of Cooper Library? ]

After reading numerous threads on this and other subjects I've come to the conclusion that you are the most racist, hateful person posting here.

This is a good thing...

Jun 12, 2020, 10:58 AM

I am probably about as conservative (not just political but in general) as anyone on here, but I think this is a good thing. For starters, the Calhoun Honors College was named in 1981, so it is not like this has a long history. Secondly, we are all ONE Clemson and if a segment of our community is personally bothered by something, especially some athletes, who play such a big role in representing our university on a national stage, then I am all for supporting them. Perhaps we should rename it after Harvey Gantt, or someone else, that has played a positive role in representing our university after graduation.

Re: This is a good thing...

Jun 12, 2020, 12:18 PM

Well done by the BOT! I also think the Honors College named after Harvey Gantt would be a positive move.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to This is a good thing... ]

You guys need to get off the "if others are bothered or offended..."

NO ONE would be bothered or offended if it were not for social media and politics. The root of G Floyd situation now is not about him, not about cops, etc. It is about removing Trump.

We are not changing names because true Clemson people want the name to change. The name-changers have been told what to think, and they think it. It is obvious.

As obvious as the Steele Dossier. If you have not read it, Google it. All you need to do is read the summaries (maybe there are 15 or so summaries) and sit back and think about it. A high-school freshman could have written a better fake document - it is outrageously fake and cannot be true. It is like saying the USA brought down the WTC.

The current "racism" issue is made up. We have a union issue in that the bad cop should have been fired long ago. No more no less. One bad dude, we know there are more, but one bad due who should have been fired BUT COULD NOT BE BECAUSE OF LIBERAL POLICIES.

Nine unarmed black men shot and killed last year. Nineteen (19) unarmed white men shot. But, they are not on video and/or of course mainstream media would never show it. A police office is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer. In 2018 blacks committed > 50% of homicides and > 60% of robberies (most black-on-black crime) while making up < 15% of the population. Black high-school graduation rates have lagged whites for decades (but they are getting closer, but I also know schools are graduating more people to up their own ratings).

But, alas, changing names is going to fix all this.

Unfortunately you are wasting your time sheep gotta sheep***

Jun 12, 2020, 1:18 PM

Jun 12, 2020, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a good thing... ]

Please take that crap back to whatever hate group you follow. I didn't even read most of it because it wasn't even your words you are using parts of other people's hat speeches. Did you get busted for plagiarism when you were in school? I'm guessing no because you are still doing it.

Jun 12, 2020, 6:00 PM

He is just stating the truth.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a good thing... ]

I repeat, rally19 is the most racist and hateful of all posters.

Jun 13, 2020, 8:30 AM

Now THAT gave me a good laugh! Was the the old standby "your mamma...." thanks for the laugh

HATE FACTS!***

Jun 13, 2020, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a good thing... ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 11:00 AM

This will definitely solve all that ails the black community. Good thing this was all we needed to do all along. Watch test scores skyrocket, crime rates plummet and the black family unit once again thrive now that we've taken this brave and productive stand.

Jun 13, 2020, 10:42 AM

If the building was named after a child molestor would you want the name to remain? Would removing the name solve all child abuse? Would we just continue to honor the child molestor because we couldn’t solve all child abuse around the world by changing it?

I have no problem with this. I see both sides

Jun 12, 2020, 11:01 AM

of the argument, but feel ultimately that it is not necessary to have buildings named after figures that create division amongst the campus. Clemson University is here in its present form to serve the views of all of its students and alumni past and present in a way that should unify rather than divide. If these men were alive today, I would think that they would sacrifice their name on a building for the overall well being of the University that they had envisioned and strived to create.I know if I had a vision I truly believed in and my name was doing more harm to that vision rather than helping, I would step aside for the advancement of the vision. However, that said, I feel that they should not just be forgotten or their parts in the founding and creation of Clemson glossed over and ignored. I think Clemson should create a museum of sorts for the history of Clemson University from its founding to present day where these men can be recognized for their contributions to Clemson in the proper context and should include both positive and negative aspects of their life.

Re: I have no problem with this. I see both sides

Jun 12, 2020, 12:39 PM

Umm. That is not what is happening. If you and a million other whites are offended by a building named after Malcom X, will it get changed? No. Even though he clearly is a violent

Maybe that is a good exercise - let's go to all HBCU campuses and search for offending building names.

But, alas (again), whites, but definition, cannot be offended.

Re: I have no problem with this. I see both sides

Jun 13, 2020, 10:47 AM

I wasn’t aware that Clemson had a Malcom X building. Oh they don’t? Perhaps you’re wrong in what you’re saying since maybe those building names offensive to white people don’t get named those things to start with?

Jun 12, 2020, 11:04 AM

I'm happy with this decision, but what about Calhoun Courts and Calhoun Drive?

It seems like if they decided his named needed to be removed from one building, they should have removed it from the apartments and road as well.

Also his old house is still in the middle of campus. I'm guessing that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:13 AM

I am a Clemson graduate as well as my father but I’ll be honest, I am ashamed at myself for not really reading a lot of history about Ben Tillman. Wow! How did we ever name anything on our campus after this man? So before anybody wants to defend him do your research and make an informed opinion. I am not one for change and I do thing our history is important, good and bad.

Don't think people are taking into consideration that with

Jun 12, 2020, 11:39 AM

these men the University would not even exist. They had slaves, while that is wrong, it wasn't against the law.

You're exactly right...however

Jun 12, 2020, 12:01 PM

This was the right move at the right time.

I am really proud to be a Tiger today.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm embarrassed for my university for pandering to BLM***

Jun 12, 2020, 1:25 PM

Re: I'm embarrassed for my university for pandering to BLM***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:55 PM

And I am embarrassed for Clemson that you are a fan and try to spew your hate on such a wonderful place

Re: You're exactly right...however

Jun 12, 2020, 6:04 PM [ in reply to You're exactly right...however ]

The right time would have been a year ago, two years ago, 5 years ago,... But you waited until you had a gun to your head to make the decision. Just encourages more guns to the head.

I agree. It's unfortunate that people can't

Jun 12, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Don't think people are taking into consideration that with ]

appreciate the good done by imperfect people.

While we certainly don't agree with slavery today, it was a way of life then. Calhoun and Tillman grew up being taught that slavery is okay. Context matters.

The Bible talks about slavery. Are these same people going to try to remove the Bible from existence? If our barometer for removing things is that it mentions slavery and/or offends someone, then everyone here who wants Tillman Hall and Calhoun Honors College renamed should support that as well.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You mean to tell me

Jun 12, 2020, 12:26 PM

that a name of a building or an honors college means that much to you?

How did you feel about the confederate flag?

These things do more than "offend" people. If you don't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You mean to tell me

Jun 12, 2020, 12:38 PM

If you are offended by Calhoun and not offended Clemson then I don't know what to tell you.

Not trying to be mean...

Jun 12, 2020, 12:41 PM

But please make your response more coherent if you'd like me to respond. Thanks.

Re: Not trying to be mean...

Jun 12, 2020, 12:51 PM

I see you do not have the problem solving skills to understand the context because of a missing word. Not trying to be mean or anything.

Not what I meant

Jun 12, 2020, 12:52 PM

but anyway, I guess I am dumb then.

His post was clear.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:19 PM

Since you seem to have a problem with the Calhoun name, then surely you have a problem with the Clemson name as well.

Will you support renaming Clemson University as well as the City of Clemson?

After all, these names do far more than offend people, according to you. Right?!?

Re: His post was clear.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:32 PM

This "it will never end" argument is straw man argument. You know it, I know it.

Jun 12, 2020, 6:18 PM

He didn't say it would never end, just that it cannot end at least and until the slave owner TG Clemson's name is removed from the university. You cannot have it for some and not for others... or can you? Hmmmmm...

Jun 13, 2020, 2:40 AM

dude I get you, but try in put yourself in the shoes of a black man now. Think about it.

Re: You mean to tell me

Jun 12, 2020, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: You mean to tell me ]

Please be clearer I didn't understand from your post what you meant

I personally don't care whether the honors college is named

Jun 12, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to You mean to tell me ]

after Calhoun, or the building is named after Tillman. But I am able to recognize that both Calhoun and Tillman played a big role in Clemson University being here today. I am able to separate my disdain for what they (and many, many other people during their time) stood for, and my appreciation for their contributions to Clemson University.

Those names have been associated with Clemson University for a long time. They obviously didn't offend/hurt Nuk and Deshaun enough to choose not to come to Clemson for a free education. Those names also didn't keep them from having a great experience at Clemson, and turn that experience into a career that allows them to do what they love and make millions of dollars.

I agreed with the confederate flag being removed from the top of the state house, and felt that a memorial was a much better place for it. I disagree with removing it entirely from existence, as if it never happened, because it IS part of our history.

Expecting history to be perfect, and therefore trying to erase any memory of the imperfect and/or negative aspects, is asinine.

You said that building names from people who died over 100 years ago do more than offend people. Please explain how.

Judge, since you brought up the Bible

Jun 12, 2020, 1:18 PM [ in reply to I agree. It's unfortunate that people can't ]

What exactly does the Bible say about slavery. I am no expert on the Bible, but I'm pretty sure the inspired writers of the Bible taught that slavery was wrong. So the fact that it was not against the laws of the land 200 years ago does not excuse this abhorrent behavior. It was wrong. Period.

Re: Don't think people are taking into consideration that with

Jun 12, 2020, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Don't think people are taking into consideration that with ]

these men the University would not even exist. They had slaves, while that is wrong, it wasn't against the law.

Honestly gmurra you are almost not worth the time. No one is arguing that Tillman was very instrumental in getting an agricultural college that would provide a better education to SC's farmers than they were getting from the University of South Carolina at the time. He did a wonderful job of making that happen with the land the Mr. Clemson left for that purpose. But when the now university originally started his name wasn't on the building. It was RENAMED later. The man openly hated s group of people and Old Main should never have had its name changed in the first place. Honestly........

Jun 12, 2020, 12:06 PM

I'm fine with renaming Tillman, not sure about Calhoun Honors College. If it's all about owning slaves, then will UVA rename their most prestigious scholars program. It is currently the Jefferson scholars. I did some research and it stated that although he verbally said that "all men are created equal" and was against slavery, he owned and traded slaves off of his plantations. A little bit hypocritical.

Awesome. Good to be proactive.***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 12:10 PM

Wonder what demand Nuk will come up with now..?

Old Green Tom is next, he's as good as gone, probably be pulled

Jun 12, 2020, 1:28 PM

down by the sheeple on Saturday once they get all riled up.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:17 PM

Clemson BOT and D. Hopkins, who did NOT graduate prior to going pro are ignorant of the history of Clemson and are spineless POS! I have been a life long fan of Clemson and was a proud graduate until NOW!!!!! I’m done!
All out!!!!!
I hope those who are DEMANDING all these changes are planning to support the new BLACK VERSION of Clemson!

You can change every name you want and remove every piece of historical evidence, but you CANNOT change it’s history!!!

And to all you wimps who support this ignorance, you need to learn from history- not try to change it!

^^^this guy gets it^^^***

Jun 12, 2020, 1:29 PM

Re: ^^^this guy gets it^^^***

Jun 12, 2020, 5:06 PM

Yes gmurra he does. Is has realized his hate is no longer wanted at Clemson. So wi you be leaving as well?

Re: ^^^this guy gets it^^^***

Jun 12, 2020, 6:05 PM

Sad

Jun 12, 2020, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

Amen.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

It pains me, but I agree with you on this. All Out.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

84CUBSN said:

Clemson BOT and D. Hopkins, who did NOT graduate prior to going pro are ignorant of the history of Clemson and are spineless POS! I have been a life long fan of Clemson and was a proud graduate until NOW!!!!! I’m done!
All out!!!!!
I hope those who are DEMANDING all these changes are planning to support the new BLACK VERSION of Clemson!

You can change every name you want and remove every piece of historical evidence, but you CANNOT change it’s history!!!

And to all you wimps who support this ignorance, you need to learn from history- not try to change it!

Not to worry we will take good care of Clemson. Dont let the door smack you on the butt on your way out the door. Good luck at your next hate meeting to!

Jun 13, 2020, 7:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

Don’t slam the door on your way out. By the way, thanks for the post. I think it really helps many see just how ugly and ignorant racism is.

We should remove the levy and flood the land

Jun 12, 2020, 12:22 PM

Water would cover it all up. That way we can forget those terrible events.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is

Jun 12, 2020, 12:42 PM

BuIIshlt. F them.

This is

Jun 12, 2020, 12:42 PM

BuIIshlt. F them.

Get ready for the backlash from way the release was worded

Jun 12, 2020, 12:49 PM

It appears to read as if this stuff was already in the works. If it was I seriously doubt that they just magically picked today to the make the decision. The press release gives little to no acknowledgment of current events.

I hope that I wrong but I would not be surprised if media outlets pick this up some narrative of "tone deaf board stubbornly changes names but ignores current racial climate".

Yeah, let's get outraged now and get out in front of it....***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:54 PM

I was a history major, this is not an erasure of history but a restoration. We can not change history and I oppose removal of statues/ memorials as it is part of the story. We can add to our history and tell the entire story as we continue to grow and change.

I was a history major, this is not an erasure of history but a restoration. We can not change history and I oppose removal of statues/ memorials as it is part of the story. We can add to our history and tell the entire story as we continue to grow and change.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:58 PM

Let’s see what demand they ask for next. Folks, this will never end. The goal posts will continue to move.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:00 PM

We are The United States of the Offended

Wrong Board***

Jun 12, 2020, 1:03 PM

Change the name to George Washington

Jun 12, 2020, 1:11 PM

Carver! He was a Black, Christian, Scientist named after our first President.

Just Wait .....

Jun 12, 2020, 1:16 PM

Until they dig into the life of Thomas Green Clemson and find out he was a sinner. I'm beginning to wonder what Clemson University will be called by the time my kid graduates there. I did not think they would cave. This movement will not stop until someone says 'enough'. No Man can make this would perfect. Only One can do that, and He will.

Re: Just Wait .....

Jun 12, 2020, 1:31 PM

Why did they not change the name of the University?? TGC inherited JCC’s land and was a slave owner. He joined the Confederacy.

The mob is apparently ignorant. Why stop with The honors college or Tillman?

Clemson BOT says "Hold my beer, I'll show you how to pander"***

Jun 12, 2020, 1:34 PM

Everyone needs to read this.....

Jun 12, 2020, 1:36 PM

https://twitter.com/zoenicholson_/status/1271151690016870403

Then I want to hear your NEW arguments.

Re: Everyone needs to read this.....

Jun 12, 2020, 3:44 PM

Yes, and if you read other accounts you will find other reasons for the name and those accounts are not written by a biased teacher.

Look it was RENAMED Tillman Hall in 1946.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:50 PM

This is enough to erase the BS "this is heritage / history" argument.

Re: Everyone needs to read this.....

Jun 12, 2020, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Everyone needs to read this..... ]

Amen! A thousand times amen! Thank you BOT!

Rename it

Jun 12, 2020, 1:47 PM

Name the buildings after a bIack transgender. Maybe that will make Nuk happy.

Re: Rename it

Jun 12, 2020, 4:03 PM

Why not keep the names as they are???

Put up a sign next to the building explaining the honoree’s true biography. List that they were racist, pro-segregation or if they owned slaves.

But also list how they helped establish the University.

Like it or not —- evil men did something good in establishing the university and changing the name of buildings and programs will never change that.

Own your history so you learn from it and never repeat it.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:22 PM

BOT needs to just change the name of Clemson to “Gray”. Not Gray University, just Gray. All the buildings should be called Gray, the football team “The Gray Grays”. Uniforms are of course a bland stale shade of gray. I’m fact, all schools and businesses should rebrand as “Gray”. The football team needs to be more inclusive and maybe expand the roster by about 100x. Let everyone play, and as TB was a believer in, let’s lose some games we should win, just so everyone feels nice and happy. At the very least, let the other teams score some points and keep it “competitive” until the last couple seconds, where the most offended team is declared the winner.

Sounds innovative, exciting and inclusive, doesn’t it!

Jun 12, 2020, 4:28 PM

Participation trophies too please

Jun 12, 2020, 2:26 PM

While i understand this, I must ask does this change what is in the heart of a true racist? Changings building names and removing statues does not change who people are. As someone who is not racist I dont get it anyway. Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:15 PM

jeffro74 said:

While i understand this, I must ask does this change what is in the heart of a true racist? Changings building names and removing statues does not change who people are. As someone who is not racist I dont get it anyway. Love thy neighbor as thyself.

No it doesn't change who they are. But we are no longer honoring said individual thus the point

Jun 12, 2020, 2:48 PM

I bow to no man

Time to take care of the Strom Thurmond Center too

Jun 12, 2020, 3:30 PM

That is NOT ancient history...

Re: Time to take care of the Strom Thurmond Center too

Jun 12, 2020, 4:04 PM

I agree. He was an avid racist who embodies the corruption that is politics in the Carolinas.

I mean he filibustered the 1957 Civil Rights Act for over

Jun 12, 2020, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Time to take care of the Strom Thurmond Center too ]

24 hours. Some on here would even try to argue against taking his name off too. Watch for it.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:31 PM

BOTs and Administration taking the easy way out...sucking up to PC and historic revisionism...throwing traditions under the bus...what’s next?..,just could be making a problem worse....

Jun 12, 2020, 9:31 PM

Traditions since 1946 and 1981? I see you have no as to what you are talking about

Jun 12, 2020, 5:02 PM

What would happen if we decided to identify Clemson as a HWC. You can have HBC and monuments to Malcolm X in the USA, but try tearing down or changing either, would there be Board Of Directors support?

How did DW4 make it out of the inner city to the NATTY to NFL. His mother did everything she could to get her family out.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:19 PM

Washington Lee University-----Thomas Jefforson and the University of Virginia-----Washington Monument---Washington D C........ etc etc etc

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 6:16 PM

Oh these guys will go after the alma mater too I suppose. Gotta be something racial in it

Jun 12, 2020, 6:16 PM

I for one am proud of the BOT for taking advantage of this opportunity to do what should have been done long ago. Tillman Hall was named that in 1946 as a backlash to the desegregation movement. And unfortunately John C. Calhoun has a legacy primarily defined by pro-slavery. I think we all know this is indefensible. Let’s take pride in having the courage and wisdom to correct the situation for generations to come. It’s nice to be on the right side of history.

Jun 12, 2020, 7:19 PM

Cant wait for the next game when deshaun and nuk are recognized on the sidelines and acknowledged by the announcer. The crowds reaction will tell you how we really feel.
I think WRU is a good choice for our "new" university. Afterall, nuk and deshaun built this place didnt they?

Jun 13, 2020, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

This BOT has been the most wonderful group of people for quite some time now. About five years ago my workout group began right after one of the members of the board's group and we had time to talk about Clemson of course but about just life in general. He is a great person to talk to and I told him at the time that I truly felt like the things that the BOT had been doing had been spot on. The thing about being part of the Clemson Family is that you dont have to read or ask most of the time you know that what you think should happen is shared by the other family members as well. I am so proud of our BOT for what they are doing! And in case you figured it out I will defend them as vehemently as i can.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:35 PM

I recall a quote from George Orwell's 1984. "“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

Jun 12, 2020, 8:39 PM

I wonder if 150 years from now people will look back and say remove her name from this or that. She drove a car. She was destroying the Earth...no matter the other good she had done.

Jun 13, 2020, 8:17 AM

I recommend taking further steps (so that we don't need to re-address at a later date). Burn Calhoun's house to the ground TODAY. There is no reason NOT to do so. He was a racist 200 years ago. Leaving it standing will be a continuing STAIN on the Clemson heritage...……..BURN IT DOWN !!!!!!

Jun 13, 2020, 8:52 AM

Dabo has taught them nothing....we take in young high school athletes who can't pass the normal entrance requirements so we make things up...head start for college students...we contrive new programs of study because they could not pass engineering or agriculture etc...we make up stuff just so they can come and play football...lots of money and free passes culturally and ethically just to keep them in school and they want to run (or ruin) the system...Watson & Watkins are nothing more than spoiled athletes who probably needed special help to get out of kindergarten...John C. Calhoun was an american hero at a time when we needed heroes...he probably would not have wanted his name associated with a piece of junk that clemson university has become!

Universal Solution

Jun 13, 2020, 9:35 AM

Universial solution across the country - every entity, building, structure, county, town, city, and road is numbered. No names.

Pathetic. Appeasement never works.

Jun 13, 2020, 3:20 PM

Keep giving in and eventually they will demand the renaming of Clemson University itself.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 6:33 PM

What is next?? I did read where Furman University May be the next target!

Jun 13, 2020, 8:12 PM

Well the BOT has voted to kneel to the pressure instead of maintaining tradition. Anger is a deep wound that's hard to extracate. Some will never allow it's removal no matter the cost, even when the price was not paid by them or their parents. But we seem to be a society that believes we must protest our history and wrongful death of a citizen. Yep it was wrong, but how many lives were lost in the protest? Is that ok? When should it end? John C Calhoun and Ben Tillman were men of their times. Can one person stand and honestly say they would handle the management of plantations differently given the same setting? Let's change the name of state and most of our cities for cripes sake; or even highways and roads because it angers some segent of our country. It's time to come together as a united country.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 11:35 PM

Makes me think of a Swoff move. Grigio or Chardonnay?

Jun 16, 2020, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BOT votes to remove Calhoun name from Honors College, asks state to rename Tillman Hall ]

Makes me think of a Swoff move. Grigio or Chardonnay?

Replies: 227
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic