Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Billy Napier is up 5 points
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Billy Napier is up 5 points

Dec 5, 2020, 3:56 AM

third and two with two minutes left, App St has 1 timeout; UL throws pass incomplete, allows App to keep last TO. Fourth down, UL takes a 35-yard loss for safety on purpose...35 yards backwards for a safety... to make it a field goal game. App St gets the ball back drives back and shanks the tying FG.

I am rooting for him to get hired by the coots. Should be a done deal after that stupid play calling because nobody else will hire him now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Billy Napier is up 5 points

Dec 5, 2020, 4:15 AM

Sounds like the perfect sequence if you are trying to impress Tanner. He may have sealed the job and increased his sign on bonus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Billy Napier is up 5 points downtown Cola...

Dec 5, 2020, 4:24 AM

handwalking drunk-

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2020, 6:53 AM

The caveat is that the long snapper had been beyond terrible all game, so he was put in a tough spot. It COULD have been 7 instead of the 2, if the nearly inevitable fumble had been recovered for a TD.

Now, was that the most prudent move? Probably not, but given the field position, you wouldn't just spike it, so who are you gonna trust? Your long snapper that's apparently VERY inept, or your defense?

I don't give a toss about Napier one way or the other, but you have to admit that it was a tough call to make.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha ha, Napier needs Beamer Jr on his staff!

Dec 5, 2020, 7:02 AM

Needs that Beamer ball special teams acumen!

Dec 5, 2020, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Billy Napier is up 5 points ]

Do you realize spiking it on 4th down doesn’t run any clock? Do you realize how much field position you give up by running backwards 35 yards for a safety which then immediately makes you kick from your own 20 in what is now a field goal game? That has to be one of the dumber sequences of play calling at the end of a game second to our stupidity up at Notre Dame of course.

Definitely. I guarantee you that all he was visualizing at

Dec 5, 2020, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Billy Napier is up 5 points ]

that time was another snap zooming over the punters head, into the end zone, and giving up 7 points AND the lead right on that play. Given the circumstances, it's much harder to second guess him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has been my choice for them all along

Dec 5, 2020, 7:01 AM

No disrespect intended, but he just doesn’t worry me at all as their potential coach. I think he is a “safe” hire for them, and a “harmless” hire for us and all of their other opponents.

Dec 5, 2020, 7:18 AM

IMO taking the HC job at SC is a no win situation. Let’s say Billy Napier goes to SC. Just because he was able to have success at LT does mean the same will happen at SC. Especially in 3 to 4 years unless SC fans can live with occasional 7 & 8 wins seasons with 2 or 3 6-6 or 5-7 seasons mixed in. If all they are doing is changing HC’s then what are they really changing. I think it would be a set back for Napier’s career. I don’t think Saban could win consistently at SC. Their 3 year run of double digit wins under Spurrier’s time gave the coots false hope. Those 3 years were like when certain planets align every 300 years. Everything went right for Spurrier those 3 years. Plus then went on the five year winning streak over CU. 7 of Spurrier’s 10 years at SC were filled with mostly 7 win seasons with one 9 win year. He had 3 (11-2 seasons) This is the history of coot football and its the only 3 seasons SC can remember. They seem to block out those other 100 plus years of mediocrity!

If SC were located elsewhere in the state I might believe they could compete with Bama, FU, Clemson and other top programs. But they are in Columbia, SC. What top recruits want to go to SC other than those looking to be The Guy or early playing time.

If I were Napier I would hold out for one of the programs where he can rebuild and win. Don’t blow your big chance at a program with a 100 year plus .500 record. Plus Napier has only proven himself as a HC for 3 years at a smaller program.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

If you watched that whole game, his decision would have made

Dec 5, 2020, 7:40 AM

a LOT more sense to you. Can't say I blame him, his long snapper had already cost them with not one, not two, but THREE bad snaps already in the game. Kinda reminds me of one of our games back when Tommy Bowden was here, and we got three kicks blocked in a row, or something like that, and he said "We ain't kicking anymore this game", and it made perfect sense.

Like Napier said, although he left out part of it:

(Not a good situation to be in, but) "I thought going for the safety gave us the best chance to win the game (considering all that had happened previously tonight.)

Re: If you watched that whole game, his decision would have made

Dec 5, 2020, 7:49 AM

Could of lined up in shotgun on offense and had the QB punt the ball. We use to do it with Watson.

Er, that would have required the services of the same long

Dec 5, 2020, 8:17 AM

snapper that had already launched it over the QB's head on several occasions. :(

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic