Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you don't know the X;s and O's..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,226

If you don't know the X;s and O's..........

Dec 13, 2019, 9:30 PM

of defense, this is a good starting point. I dislike Meyer, but his knowledge of the game is elite. He does a good job explaining some of the basics of defensive sets here (in a traditional 4-3 set).

I recommend paying attention to his explanation of Cover 2 vs Cover 3? Why? I wouldn't be surprised if we show one pre-snap and are actually in the other post snap against Fields and eventually Burrow. Remember Tua's 2nd pick in the natty last year? We showed cover 2 (which is why he threw that ball thinking the sideline was open deep) but were actually in cover 3 (Mullen covering the 1/3 closest to "his" sideline) and Mullen makes the easy pick.

There is a LOT more to defense than this (ex. we have played way more 3-4 than 4-3 this season), but it is a good starting point to understanding defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERZqVYRtLjo

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you don't know the X;s and O's..........

Dec 13, 2019, 9:41 PM

I think what we do better than any college team is the disguising coverages. For the most part it looks like zone at the snap. Sometimes showing press. Then after the snap it could be anything. Zone over man. Blitzes. Zone on one side of the field man on the other. It gets crazy. And. It's awesome.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 10:56 PM

Most DCs try to keep the offense from knowing what defense they are running on any given play.

BV takes it up a level by anticipating what the offense will do given the defense that he is showing and then going to the defense that will best take that away. He doesn't just take the away any offensive advantage. He turns it into a defensive advantage.

And you are right. It is Awesome !!

Dec 13, 2019, 9:50 PM

We have played the 3-3-5 some too. Great against pass & running QB.

Brent does so many stunts with D linemen but he is know for hidden coverages and blitz packages to the inside and out on opposing sides.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Great share, thanks! My hope too is in BV, he is a genius General

Dec 13, 2019, 10:05 PM

Who is matching wits with an offensive coordinator, yes but more so with the qb. A very able, qb. But this is where I think we get the edge. BV obviously had Tua fooled from the start. I think he easily gets in Fields head from the start. Yes, I get there is an offensive coordinator calling the shots but when BV schemes, he is getting the qb to see one thing while doing something entirely different.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 10:16 PM

I'm still amazed at how Venables was able to shift from a primarily 4-3 multiple front last year, to actually running a 3-3-5 defense as our base on the vast majority of plays this year. Having a guy like Isaiah Simmons who could line up everywhere from his primary role as WLB, to rush end, to nickel corner to free safety to strong safety.

The most amazing thing is that Venables was able to take the NCAA best scoring defense in 2018, revamp it to a based 3-3-5, and lead the NCAA in scoring defense again yet giving up only 10 ppg.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we certainly had a nickel D as a base D last year too

Dec 13, 2019, 10:32 PM

we just didn't play it as much

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we certainly had a nickel D as a base D last year too

Dec 14, 2019, 11:46 AM

That's true. Dime and nickel have always been at least a part of our defense. The difference is Isaiah Simmons' versatility. Also, I read somewhere a few weeks back about Venables going to Okie State before the season to study how they use their 3 man fronts.

We're playing out of several different base defenses

Dec 13, 2019, 10:17 PM

pretty equal parts across:
Odd
Bear
4 Down

When you're working out of multiple defense base defenses, then it's insanely difficult to prepare for (this will prove to an advantage for us should us and LSU advance).

It's well known, we disguise as well as anyone. It's also well known we bring more pressure than average,.... and, we bring it from more exotic places and formations.

Now, throw in Isaiah Simmons (and to a degree, K'von Wallace) whom have been splitting time lining up in 3-4 different positions, it's just about impossible to know what is coming on any given play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2019, 10:44 PM

I heard that Meyer has always known a lot about X's but Venables taught him everything he knows about 0's.

Dec 13, 2019, 10:54 PM

Honestly the whole time I'm watching 31-0 is in my head though.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,226
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic