Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We are staying put...the ACC is going to survive....yea !!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,427

We are staying put...the ACC is going to survive....yea !!!

Nov 27, 2012, 7:31 PM

I think. I would still like to see us leave. We are not improving our brand with UCONN or anyone else from the Big Least. The Syracuse and Pitt moves were basketball decisions and UCONN to replace Maryland would be no better. If we are successful in keeping Maryland it is still what it is now. A weak football conference with a basketball mentality. I was excited about maybe a move and status quo is not acceptable because the SEC will continue to dominate because of the money they make. They have teams in the GOLD VEIN of college football. We are in some and on the outer fringe of others. I can't see BC filling their stadium....nor Duke....Wake is not exciting and VT and Virginia are not very good right now. Miami plays before crowds of 300 to 500 and GT is not exactly a hotbed of football. Face it, the two most exciting teams have only each other to depend on in football. The rest are just along for the ride. South Carolina is far from taking us to the woodshed for the last time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We only have 4 in the gold vein and one isn't a nugget (GT)

Nov 27, 2012, 8:00 PM

the 3 are Clem/FSU/VT. The rest are not in areas that are huge on college fball. Its just how it is.

I think the Pac12 is in a similar situation but just have a couple exceptions to the rule, USC has tremendous history and is located in the second largest city that happens to have no NFL team. That's just an anomaly. Oregon is also an anomaly due to Nike, check out their history it ain't pretty.

Big12 is also in the Gold vein but had/has structural issues. Big10 is third but just has so much history and huge schools to keep it thriving and alive and making bucks.

No partial membership

Nov 27, 2012, 8:05 PM

I guess the ACC didn't learn from the Big East and other conferences, some extinct, that allowed partial membership.

I just absolutely hate the partial membership of Notre Dame, and that applies to all other potential member of whatever conference Clemson belongs to.

Re: The ACC is done. The writing is on the wall with the

Nov 27, 2012, 8:09 PM

four team playoff. Four teams means four super conferences. The ACC will not be one of them. Why do you think ND did not join as a full member?

You're right. It will be the Pac12, SEC, Big10 & Big 12.*******

Nov 27, 2012, 8:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the ACC holds together and no other schools leave then

Nov 27, 2012, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: The ACC is done. The writing is on the wall with the ]

the Big 12 is the one who gets ripped apart. They are only ten schools as it stands now. If The Pac 12 chooses to expand who are they going to add? It would have to be a Big 12 school unless they go bottom of the bucket with second tier conference schools. Same for the Big 10; if the ACC doesn't lose any more schools then all they have left are Big 12 schools; same for the SEC.

Of course...thats all dependent on the ACC schools sticking together. I'm sure this lawsuit will have a big say in what happens.

Re: If the ACC holds together and no other schools leave then

Nov 27, 2012, 8:50 PM

No chance that happens. The Big 12 has a grant of rights in place, so if anyone leaves then they lose their tv rights for the length of the contract. Also, their tv contract is much better than the ACC tv contract. When they expand and add the championship game it will be even bigger. Also, they have the new post season bowl with the SEC. The Big 12 is much more stable than the ACC right now.

If the Pac 12 changes their mind and comes calling to Texas

Nov 27, 2012, 9:00 PM

the Big 12 is done. If Texas leaves then that conference blows up and there is no conference left to control the grant of rights. Not saying thats what will happen but its possible. Especially if the ACC sticks together.

Re: If the Pac 12 changes their mind and comes calling to Texas

Nov 27, 2012, 9:38 PM

I think you underestimate the grant of rights agreement. No way Texas leaves the Big 12 for the Pac 12, or any other conference now, unless they want to give up all their tv revenue for the next 13 years. Who would be that dumb?

"The stability of the Big 12 Conference is cemented," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "We are positioned with one of the best media rights arrangements in collegiate sports, providing the conference and its members unprecedented revenue growth, and sports programming over two networks."

"ESPN.com's David Ubben writes about all things involving the Big 12 in the conference blog.

The deal includes a "grant of rights" agreement, meaning if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12 and not its new conference."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8346345/big-12-announces-media-deal-abc-espn-fox

If Texas leaves they aren't the only ones leaving. It would

Nov 27, 2012, 9:52 PM

be at least four of them to the Pac 12. That leaves 6 teams in the Big 12. At that point the Big 10 and SEC take the left overs and there is no conference left to enforce the GOR issue. Not saying it will happen, but the GOR doesn't mean the Big 12 is invincible.

Re: If Texas leaves they aren't the only ones leaving. It would

Nov 27, 2012, 10:14 PM

I'm just not following you at all. The Big 12 is much stronger and stable now than before. There is no motivation for Texas to go to the Pac 12. The Big 12 is a rich, powerful conference, and they are about to expand themselves. They are one of the Big 4; the ACC is not. The market and TV money is about football, and that's what the Big 12 is. That's why the ACC is about to collapse. There is very little market demand to watch the ACC play football right now. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The Big 12 is not going anywhere.

who would turn down the sec/big10/big12***

Nov 27, 2012, 8:52 PM [ in reply to If the ACC holds together and no other schools leave then ]

Miami still has a better record

Nov 27, 2012, 8:41 PM

than Clemson since Clemson won the last NC. I'm not knocking Clemson, just pointing out that even though Miami has screwed the pooch for a while, they still can be one of the 4 routinely powerful teams within the ACC (incl. FSU, CU, and VT). But the schools need to make it happen.

And Miami did have over 40k draws on average. They draw big when big teams come to town like Ohio State. But that's what happens in big cities. But that's true even of pro teams, too.

Re: If Maryland should stay and I hope they don't, the

Nov 27, 2012, 9:10 PM

conference should abuse them in every way possible. Make them wish that they had never entertained the idea.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,427
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic